Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? (3000 Views)

Why Do Programmers Always Look Down On Wordpress Expert? / Do Programmers In Other States Outside Lagos Make It / Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 18, 2019
I have come across many posts that doesn't say well of Java, making me ask myself and other people this question " Why do programmers run away from Java ?"

I gave an answer which I think couldn't be the reason.

"Verbosity".

Could it be the verbosity of the language or there is another reason?

I love Java, I develop android apps with Java and I love it.
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by opparadise: 4:55pm On Apr 18, 2019
Why don't I see you loving Java but advertising that you create Android apps?
Aftermath of your idea:
try {
adddlert("trying to advertise profession!"wink;
}
catch(err) {
document.getElementById("Your trick failed!"wink.innerHTML = err.message;
}

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by TumblrGyal(f): 8:23pm On Apr 18, 2019
Most people use java more.Python n C++ shud have this topic

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by 3KINGZ18: 9:42pm On Apr 18, 2019
It's too verbose
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 18, 2019
TumblrGyal:
really? I don't think these languages can do what java can do?
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 18, 2019
3KINGZ18:
It's too verbose
is that why you drop it?
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Daejoyoung: 9:47pm On Apr 18, 2019
dayo2me:
Python can do a lot though
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 18, 2019
opparadise:
Aftermath of your idea:
try {
}
catch(err) {
}

I displayed both in this thread. which language do you work with I can see you displayed try and catch skill here?
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 18, 2019
Daejoyoung:

Python can do a lot though
I heard people saying that and because of its simplicity that's why people rush it.
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by 3KINGZ18: 10:05pm On Apr 18, 2019
dayo2me:
is that why you drop it?
yh,it was my first programming language though but if you are able to learn it to an extent no programming language will be a barrier for you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Olalekank(m): 10:06pm On Apr 18, 2019
3KINGZ18:
It's too verbose
But you're a boss

You can handle it
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 18, 2019
3KINGZ18:
yh,it was my first programming language though but if you are able to learn it to an extent no programming language will be a barrier for you.
You are correct my friend.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by 3KINGZ18: 6:37am On Apr 19, 2019
Olalekank:

But you're a boss

You can handle it
lol not me
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Daejoyoung: 7:04am On Apr 19, 2019
dayo2me:
I heard people saying that and because of its simplicity that's why people rush it.
yeah it's simple but it let's you become very productive, because you would focus more on the problem you want to solve and less on syntax. But though it's simple, it has a wide range of uses like java.
Make no mistake, it's simple for beginners to get started with, but may take a long time to master.
However if you are an Android developer, you should stick with Java.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by DAPMAN601: 8:40am On Apr 19, 2019
I need a proficient Android developer with Java and IOS developer with Swift. Contact me with samples at Ade.impactif@gmail.com
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 19, 2019
Daejoyoung:

yeah it's simple but it let's you become very productive, because you would focus more on the problem you want to solve and less on syntax. But though it's simple, it has a wide range of uses like java.
Make no mistake, it's simple for beginners to get started with, but may take a long time to master.
However if you are an Android developer, you should stick with Java.
great
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by throwaway: 9:19am On Apr 19, 2019
Daejoyoung:
yeah it's simple but it let's you become very productive, because you would focus more on the problem you want to solve and less on syntax. But though it's simple, it has a wide range of uses like java. Make no mistake, it's simple for beginners to get started with, but may take a long time to master. However if you are an Android developer, you should stick with Java.
Kotlin ...

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Daejoyoung: 12:23pm On Apr 19, 2019
throwaway:
Kotlin ...
lol yeah Kotlin and swift also, but even then kotlin uses the jvm.
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Olafisoyem: 10:46pm On Apr 20, 2019
dayo2me:

They can and do
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Angelawhite(m): 7:15am On Apr 21, 2019
Java is very robust and versatile. That notwithstanding, I don’t consider it difficult. Java is my first love but after learning JavaScript, I discovered that there are things I consider difficult in Java.

In JavaScript, you don’t need to declare variable types.
I’ll just say , var myAge = 70; //my age has become integer.

In Java, I’d say: int myAge = 70;
There are many shorthand’s in JavaScript. Try handling onClickListeners on both and you’ll see the difference.

I love Java for handling app development like a baby

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Daejoyoung: 8:09am On Apr 21, 2019
Angelawhite:
Java is very robust and versatile. That notwithstanding, I don’t consider it difficult. Java is my first love but after learning JavaScript, I discovered that there are things I consider difficult in Java.

There are many shorthand’s in JavaScript. Try handling onClickListeners on both and you’ll see the difference.

That's because javascript has dynamic typing(errors are only caught at wrong time)rather than static typing, this may be easy or difficult for you depending on the situation.
ln large projects, where you type above 200 lines, dynamic typing may become a curse. The problem again is that javascript is not only dynamically typed but also weakly typed, which means it could allow you use variables wrongly(without declaring the types) to the extent where everything becomes a mess, and debugging gets tougher.
Java is both strongly typed and statically typed, javascript is dynamically typed(,but weakly typed), python is also dynamically typed( but different from javascript in that it is strongly typed, and would hardly allow any error go free at runtime)
Both javascript and Python are called scripting languages, they both have advantages over java in their various domains, java's advantage though lies mainly in the fact that it has been the most widely used language for a long time now in enterprise, and still the most widely used language.
All three are very powerful in this era, and the fact that you know both java and javascript is a great thing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Olalekank(m): 9:21am On Apr 21, 2019
Angelawhite:

Tel them about objects also

let person = {name: "Nairaland", age: 14}

I still think js has the easiest ways of manipulating objects, arrays, etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Angelawhite(m): 9:27am On Apr 21, 2019
Olalekank:

Tel them about objects also

let person = {name: "Nairaland", age: 14}

I still think js has the easiest ways of manipulating objects, arrays, etc.

I tell you! I was wowed by how simple objects and array manipulation can be

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Angelawhite(m): 9:27am On Apr 21, 2019
Daejoyoung:

That's because javascript has dynamic typing(errors are only caught at wrong time)rather than static typing, this may be easy or difficult for you depending on the situation.
ln large projects, where you type above 200 lines, dynamic typing may become a curse. The problem again is that javascript is not only dynamically typed but also weakly typed, which means it could allow you use variables wrongly(without declaring the types) to the extent where everything becomes a mess, and debugging gets tougher.
Java is both strongly typed and statically typed, javascript is dynamically typed(,but weakly typed), python is also dynamically typed( but different from javascript in that it is strongly typed, and would hardly allow any error go free at runtime)
Both javascript and Python are called scripting languages, they both have advantages over java in their various domains, java's advantage though lies mainly in the fact that it has been the most widely used language for a long time now in enterprise, and still the most widely used language.
All three are very powerful in this era, and the fact that you know both java and javascript is a great thing.

Yea.... you have a point there
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2019
Olafisoyem:

They can and do
are they platform independent?
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Olafisoyem: 6:20pm On Apr 22, 2019
dayo2me:
are they platform independent?

The Java Virtual machine is different from the java language. So to run java you’d need the jvm. Other languages use the jvm because it’s an established virtual machine with good memory management and allows your code to run anywhere java can and do the things java can do plus more. Remember the the jvm is a virtual machine like running Linux in windows using a VM.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 22, 2019
Olafisoyem:

The Java Virtual machine is different from the java language. So to run java you’d need the jvm. Other languages use the jvm because it’s an established virtual machine with good memory management and allows your code to run anywhere java can and do the things java can do plus more. Remember the the jvm is a virtual machine like running Linux in windows using a VM.
Thank you for your input.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by luvyaself95(m): 9:50pm On Apr 22, 2019
Loving you guys with the way you argue about programming wish i am now a programmer...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by tollyboy5(m): 11:24pm On Apr 22, 2019
opparadise:
Aftermath of your idea:
try {
}
catch(err) {
}
Lolz Mr JavaScript you really catch am grin . I don't see anything hard in java compare to c++.
TumblrGyal:
don't mind him jaré everyone knows it C++ when it comes to complexity

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by asalimpo(m): 5:32pm On Apr 23, 2019
Daejoyoung:

Did you mean runtime?
Did you mean 200k lines?
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Woqhub: 6:00pm On Apr 23, 2019
opparadise:
Aftermath of your idea:
try {
}
catch(err) {
}

Js people don show
Re: Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? by Daejoyoung: 6:02pm On Apr 23, 2019
asalimpo:

Did you mean runtime?
Did you mean 200k lines?
yeah, typo. l meant runtime.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Build A Web-server In Java / How To Learn Data Science As A Complete Beginner To PRO Status / Which School Can I Learn Programming In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.