Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. (25859 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Origin Of Owigiri Cultural Dance; Igbo Or Ijaw?? / Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 18, 2010
i dont have issues with dia dance but a lotta yoruba movies dis days is an apology .especially d traditional ones dey dont know more dan showing of dia primitive mentality of uplifting voodosm its crazy dat in d 21st century yoruba movies cant produce a decent film dat will upgrade d intellect.every tin must be jazz!in every yoruba movie a sorcerer has 2 consult demons 2 solve problems.its a huge disapointment.
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by amor4ce(m): 10:44pm On Sep 18, 2010
Wallie:

Insult? Savages? Condescending? Supremacist? Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

1. Are most Yorubas found in Nigeria?
2. Is the Yoruba spoken in Lagos different from the Yoruba spoken in Ijebu Ode? How about Badagry?
3. If there are differences between the Yoruba spoken in Lagos and Ijebu Ode, wouldn’t it be highly likely that it will also be different from Yoruba spoken by slaves isolated in a different country about a hundred years ago? Could their version of Yoruba be considered patois due to inclusion of their own local vocabulary?
4. Do languages evolve, generally? Are we still speaking the same English spoken during the Shakespearean times?

Now that you see how I logically arrived at my reasoning, how did you arrive at yours? Could it be that you have an inferiority complex?

@Wallie, it was not my intention to be demeaning toward your comment or your person. My reaction stemmed from your use of "middle ages" and "didn't evolve. I am of the opinion that all languages evolve, isolated or not, and that even isolated ones may take longer to evolve - if you know of any that has never evolved and are willing to share the info, I'll be grateful. I am not an expert on languages, neither have I taken time to look at the subject. Also, I was trying to get you to consider that perhaps the IC yoruba people you referred to may not be too comfortable with the remark.

We all have our points of view, and I respect yours. So, can we let this pass, and continue to express our admiration of the Yoruba language?

@Tewmuch, there's no need.
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 18, 2010
TewMuch:

Dont mind that retard, you are right. Their language hardly evolves cause they dont get to mix with other Yoruba dialects like the Yoruba's in Nigeria do. When the dialects mix they unknowingly form a more cohesive Yoruba, which causes changes. But those isolated stick to their dialect, and may be stuck in the middle ages. smiley. Its quite cool, you should try to learn from her, and write about it for the future. Records of things like that should be kept to keep the culture alive
3much, that was a bit too harsh.
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by davidif: 5:25am On Sep 19, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

LOL thanks. We already won our first 2 games with a BIG win [20-35 points diff]. With or without Tebow, we're taking that championship this year.

Ha ha ha haah! getting way ahead of ourselves are we? don't be too fro-ward abeg.
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by kashmo: 5:30am On Sep 19, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I did the same thing. I guess it's part of the NIgerian education curriculum.

@post

Oshun Dancing, Havana, Cuba

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0FITLmyuyo?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

That dance gives me chills! I'm so impressed how she graced the dance floor, and her free spirit break, twist & turn is great for the eyes to behold!
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Vquest(m): 7:40am On Sep 19, 2010
We need more tapes of these fine sisters from UCLA shaking their asses grin
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by oludashmi(f): 9:36am On Sep 20, 2010
Ileke-Idi, Ori mi n wu as I watched. I am so happy for your kind of person and passion for our great culture, adura mi ni pe, Oodua a gbe e, oo ni subu danu, oo de ni si se lagbara Olorun. I have noticed your posts in the past and how you are confident of your father land and I am proud of you.
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by naijadiva2(f): 5:56pm On Sep 20, 2010
Wallie:

I wonder how much Yoruba is still retained in languages of indigenous Yoruba tribes around the world especially in countries like Dominican Republic, Cuba and Brazil.

I once asked a Yoruba from the Ivory Coast to say something to me in Yoruba and she said “mo fe dun nu” – I’m about to eat. I understood what she said but I was amazed at the choice of words she used. It seemed like their version of Yoruba was stuck in the middle ages and didn’t evolve.

I met a yoruba woman from togo. I asked her if the yoruba she spoke was the same as the one spoken in nigeria. And she said pretty much but since togo is a french speaking country, a lot of ppl mix french and yoruba together, sort of like creating their own dialect. I thnk its pretty cool.

Now i have to find time to watch the YT clips posted.
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by davidif: 2:18am On Sep 21, 2010
You guys need to check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JMpHtFRwU
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Nobody: 3:22am On Sep 21, 2010
oludashmi:

Ileke-Idi, Ori mi n wu as I watched. I am so happy for your kind of person and passion for our great culture, adura mi ni pe, Oodua a gbe e, oo ni subu danu, oo de ni si se lagbara Olorun. I have noticed your posts in the past and how you are confident of your father land and I am proud of you.

awww, that means a lot to me. May God bless you too smiley
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Nobody: 3:24am On Sep 21, 2010
davidif:

You guys need to check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JMpHtFRwU

Lemme help. . . .
[flash=400,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JMpHtFRwU?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1[/flash]

I've watched it before, but am not impressed. Any altering of my language doesnt sit well with me angry tongue But they try sha
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by chyz(m): 5:07am On Sep 21, 2010
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Nobody: 5:09am On Sep 21, 2010
chyz, you couldnt have created a thread?

If you do, trust me, I have some nice Igbo cultural videos I'll post wink BTW, you guys know how to dance!
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by chyz(m): 5:17am On Sep 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

chyz, you couldnt have created a thread?

If you do, trust me, I have some nice Igbo cultural videos I'll post wink BTW, you guys know how to dance!

Take a second look wink
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by chic2pimp(m): 5:18am On Sep 21, 2010
Babzilla:

[YAAAAWWWWWWN] Next We'll hear that Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein, Barack Obama, Mahatma Ghandi, Confucius, Nelson Mandela, Isaac Newton, Leonardo da Vinci were all Yorubas cool
Nah by force person see thread and therefore must post? Anoufia!!!
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Nobody: 5:29am On Sep 21, 2010
chic2pimp:

Nah by force person see thread and therefore must post? Anoufia!!!
Thanks me loff.

chyz:

Take a second look wink
Thanks, nice video. wink

I enjoyed the oriki lol, been a while since I heard one.
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by chic2pimp(m): 5:34am On Sep 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Thanks me loff.
No Problemo sweetheart (*says the sweetheart bit with a thick ekiti accent*) cheesy
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Nobody: 5:43am On Sep 21, 2010
*giggles* Your Ekiti sounds very sexy
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by chic2pimp(m): 5:57am On Sep 21, 2010
It certainly does. I learnt from the best wink
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by ifele(m): 11:24pm On Oct 03, 2010
Eyin omo Yoba bana ilu wa titun ni yi. Awon Biafra ni ti ra won. Awa naa shi ni ti wa.

Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by ifele(m): 11:28pm On Oct 03, 2010
Eyin omo Yoba bana titun ti ilu wa niyi o.

Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Migan: 2:53am On Jun 27, 2012
Greetings to all. Check out this new site I found that speaks about African royalty around theworld. It is called Afrikan Royals http://www.afrikanroyals.com
Re: Awa Yorubas, We Too Much : Yoruba Cultural Dance Across The Globe. by Migan: 3:10am On Jun 27, 2012
Greetings to all. Check out this new site I found that speaks about African royalty around theworld. It is called Afrikan Royals http://www.afrikanroyals.com. This is a beautiful forum

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Languages Listed According To States / Traditional Rulers Council In Cross River State Warns Igbo Community. / Having A Sixth Finger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.