Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? (2163 Views)

Why Local Coaches Fail - Bonfrere Jo / A List Of Great Players Who Failed As Coaches / Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by oisehumen(m): 10:20am On Sep 17, 2010
I watched with consternation, resentment and pity as our darling, skillful and articulate ladies (under 17) crashed out of the on going FIFA under 17 female world in Trinidad and Tobago last night. More annoying and disturbing was the fact  that we lost to a less skillful bunch of Korean ladies but with better technical input from the sidelines.

How on earth could our dumb coach replace Francisca Ordega (shirted 9) with Yetunde Aluko (shirted 19) who could not even dribble pass an opponent  throughout her play? That a striker has missed several begging chances is never enough to substitute him/her. Ordega was a torn in the flesh of the Koreans and it was only when she was removed that the Koreans had the big relief to start coming out of their defense. You don't need to hold the best coaching certificates to make some meaning changes in a game.

It was the same scenario when our under 17 boys could not win in Kaduna against Congo DR last weekend. We crashed out largely due to the incompetence of our technical bench. The boys were very good and skillful individually but lacked good technical input.

I can put my money down that Austine Eguavon at best will qualify us for the Nations Cup ( i doubt anyway) and CERTAINLY disgrace us when the tournament begins.

Now, the big question is; when will our local coaches ever get it right?
I think we should start using foreign coaches in all our categories, both male and female.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:24am On Sep 17, 2010
oisehumen:

I watched with consternation, resentment and pity as our darling, skillful and articulate ladies (under 17) crashed out of the on going FIFA under 17 female world in Trinidad and Tobago last night. More annoying and disturbing was the fact  that we lost to a less skillful bunch of Korean ladies but with better technical input from the sidelines.

How on earth could our dumb coach replace Francisca Ordega (shirted 9) with Yetunde Aluko (shirted 19) who could not even dribble pass an opponent  throughout her play? That a striker has missed several begging chances is never enough to substitute him/her. Ordega was a torn in the flesh of the Koreans and it was only when she was removed that the Koreans had the big relief to start coming out of their defense. You don't need to hold the best coaching certificates to make some meaning changes in a game.

It was the same scenario when our under 17 boys could not win in Kaduna against Congo DR last weekend. We crashed out largely due to the incompetence of our technical bench. The boys were very good and skillful individually but lacked good technical input.

I can put my money down that Austine Eguavon at best will qualify us for the Nations Cup ( i doubt anyway) and CERTAINLY disgrace us when the tournament begins.

I think we should start using foreign coaches in all our categories, both male and female.

@ the bolded part
Crap! Even the best Foreign coaches have technical deficiencies and have made serious blunders in very important matches.

Was it not Carlo Ancelotti that blew a 2 goals lead in the UCL Final? What happened yesterday could have happened whether foreign coach or local. Lets not be quick to blame it on "local coach" as if it couldn't have happened if an "oyinbo" were in charge.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2010
As long as Samson Siasia, Sunday Oliseh, Khadiri Ikhana, Okey Emordi and Maurice Cooreman (an "oyinbo" Nigerian) haven't been given the chance to tinker the Super Eagles, I will NEVER subscribe to the idea of a foreign coach.

All these na "Oyinbo" good pass mentality sef. . . .shioor!
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by medjai(m): 12:31pm On Sep 17, 2010
why are we always quick to blame the coach? I didnt see the game though but 6-5 isnt a bad score when you consider that Korea are a powerhouse in women's football.
Germany that had scored 22 goals in the group stage also lost yesterday. I guess that means they have a bad coach
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by oisehumen(m): 12:55pm On Sep 17, 2010
medjai:

why are we always quick to blame the coach? I didnt see the game though but 6-5 isnt a bad score when you consider that Korea are a powerhouse in women's football.
Germany that had scored 22 goals in the group stage also lost yesterday. I guess that means they have a bad coach

Germany scored 22 goals in the group stage and lost does not mean we should not do well.
By all standards, we would have won that game if only we had a tactical coach.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:04pm On Sep 17, 2010
oisehumen:

Germany scored 22 goals in the group stage and lost does not mean we should not do well.
So to you, tactical coach = Oyinbo abi?
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by 0Edward0(m): 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2010
Abeg na God go punish any body we talk of foreign coach for what ever level, make them come here improve their CV (took Nigeria to world cup etc) with us, collect money wey I dey see for life then fail like my neighbour fail JAMB.

Let us leave our local coach alone, make them do their job, even you
oisehumen:

Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by sirt1(m): 1:32pm On Sep 17, 2010
oisehumen:

@ Bolded,

I was disappointed yesterday with the substitution. Immediately the lady was substituted, the game changed. That alone gave the Koreans gut to attack us cos there was nobody to trouble their defence. But all in all, our ladies tried and if we can do this at all level of our football, we can have hope of winning senior world cup one day.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by oisehumen(m): 1:33pm On Sep 17, 2010
0Edward0:

Abeg na God go punish any body we talk of foreign coach for what ever level, make them come here improve their CV (took Nigeria to world cup etc) with us, collect money wey I dey see for life then fail like my neighbour fail JAMB.

Let us leave our local coach alone, make them do their job, even you

Am not sure u should be here my guy
Everyone has the right and entitled to his/her own opinion.

Using abusive words cos somebody said his mind on an issue betrays your infancy on tropical issues and lack of knowledge
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by SSaemoenl(m): 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2010
Never the girls fault, Here are the killer of the game
1) The Racist Greece referee and the lines women,
2) Always watching Home movie Goal Keeper.
That girl sucks in everything. lipsrsealed
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by Goldenmeda(m): 1:50pm On Sep 17, 2010
na only africa oyinbo can do it, oliseh, siaisa, austin

Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by 0Edward0(m): 2:00pm On Sep 17, 2010
make God punish anybody na oisehumen,
oisehumen:

Using abusive words cos somebody said his mind on an issue betrays your infancy on tropical issues and lack of knowledge

so make I no talk my mind
oisehumen:

Everyone has the right and entitled to his/her own opinion.

Philip troussier, lars lagerback etc
oisehumen:

lack of knowledge
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by Ranoscky(m): 2:51pm On Sep 17, 2010
semid4lyfe:

So to you, tactical coach = Oyinbo abi?

Very good question my broda!

let's wait for d answer from him.

*I don't know y som of us stil see anything white skin (even a white "dumb a$$"wink as an answer to every problem*
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by davidif: 3:05pm On Sep 17, 2010
HA HA HA HAHAHHAHA. I THOUGHT YOU NAIRALANDERS WERE CLAMORING FOR LOCAL COACHES HA HAHA.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by medjai(m): 5:04pm On Sep 17, 2010
oisehumen:

we breezed through the group phase with maximum points, we even defeated the defending champions, that surely is no fluke. If we had a bad coach he would have been exposed!
We played well yesterday, we created chances and we lost to a good Korean side. Its really is nobody's fault
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:18pm On Sep 17, 2010
^^^^^^ It is Nigeria, someone must be blamed for this acrimonious loss grin I think the woeful state of the SE has rubbed-off on the girls unfortunately. I think Female football has vastlymatured but as always, African sides will have the agidi and skill but only a mix of foreign knowledge and local experience will add the right spice to African teams male/female I love Maurice Coorman and Westerhof for their deep integration with local coaches, What we should be aiming for is that our local coaches upgrade their knowledge and experience by going for courses and taking internships at some European and South American Clubs.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by mensdept: 7:08pm On Sep 17, 2010
That 1994 jersey was serious man!
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by zoraro(m): 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2010
SSaemoenl:

Never the girls fault, Here are the killer of the game
1) The Racist Greece referee and the lines women,
2) Always watching Home movie Goal Keeper.
That girl sucks in everything. lipsrsealed

I share your view, but my own list of reasons why we lost will go like this

1. The totally uncalled for substitution of Francisca Ordega.

2. The clearly biased Greek referee and her assistants.

3. The always watching home video and short goalkeeper.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by lexyy: 10:48pm On Sep 17, 2010
everything went through the goal keeper yesterday, the koreans read the game well at half time and came up with a more formidable team in the second half. this shows the depth of the coach, the nigerian bench just could not counter the korean tactics even with better players if placed one on one with the korean players apart from the goal keeper, this really broke my heart yesterday night
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:10pm On Sep 17, 2010
zoraro:

I share your view, but my own list of reasons why we lost will go like this

1.  The totally uncalled for substitution of Francisca Ordega.

I agree. . .but only with the benefit of hindsight cos she was playing nothing and clearly not in the game before she was removed but alas the player who came in for her was even worse and even far more ineffective. At LEAST Francisca Ordega had physical presence, hussled hard for the ball and posed a far greater threat than Yetunde Aluko who came in for her.
A coach should know the capabilities, strengths and weaknesses of his players, so Coach Peter Edobor gets the blame for that one.
zoraro:
2. The clearly biased Greek referee and her assistants.

Was the referee and her assistants biased? I don't think so. . .she blew well and just made one bad call (the penalty) IMO.
zoraro:
3. The always watching home video and short goalkeeper. 
Very True. . .the 5th and 6th goals were so annoying

Permit me to add to your list
4. The defenders for not defending their goal area and relying on silly offside traps. It's suicidal to run out of your goal area when a ball is been played into it hoping to catch the opposing attackers offside. I nor know if na wetin their coach teach them be that. Referee fit blow or e nor fit blow. . .na 50-50. The ball should be cleared out first and then the back four moves as a single line out of defence.
Sadly all Nigerian teams make this elementary mistake.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by DisGuy: 12:21am On Sep 18, 2010
The girls were very naive and teh coach is too totally green horn

knowing the Koreans wouldnt give up, he should have just allow them play 5-4-1 and counter attack when the chance comes

And teh girls were enjoying the ayyyyyyyyyyye,ayeeeeeeee the nigerian fans were shouting which I think was irritating after a while for an age grade tournament perhaps the referee was pissed off too

Oh well off for some presidential Handshakes and 'we don't want scholarship we want money'
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by semid4lyfe(m): 6:49am On Sep 18, 2010
Dis Guy:

The girls were very naive and teh coach is too totally green horn

knowing the Koreans wouldnt give up, he should have just allow them play 5-4-1 and counter attack when the chance comes

I agree. . . .what annoys me is that right from the blast of the whistle, the Koreans relied on the long balls and fast breaks and our Coach couldn't do anything to stop this. Also Victoria Adeleomo, the central defender kept making unforced errors and ought to have been removed for Akinbiyi when she copped that injury. Did anyone notice we conceded that penalty when she was still off the pitch?

Dis Guy:
And teh girls were enjoying the ayyyyyyyyyyye,ayeeeeeeee the nigerian fans were shouting which I think was irritating after a while for an age grade tournament perhaps the referee was pissed off too

I don talk am before. . .Nigerian fans at football stadiums shouldn't do their aayy, ayyy, aayy. It's distracting and it makes the players dribble unnecessarily and play to the gallery as they'd all want to form Jay Jay.
Dis Guy:
Oh well off for some presidential Handshakes and 'we don't want scholarship we want money'
Make dem go siddon jare. . .they should be content with the match allowances they were paid. Make dem come back, enter black market change the money and go shopping grin grin
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by davidif: 10:13am On Sep 18, 2010
semid4lyfe:

As long as Samson Siasia, Sunday Oliseh, Khadiri Ikhana, Okey Emordi and Maurice Cooreman (an "oyinbo" Nigerian) haven't been given the chance to tinker the Super Eagles, I will NEVER subscribe to the idea of a foreign coach.

WELL THEN YOU WOULD CONTINUE TO DWELL IN MEDIOCRITY SON. HOPE YOUR EAGLES GET USED TO DWELLING ON MEDIOCRE ISLAND.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by zoraro(m): 10:22am On Sep 18, 2010
5. They should have tried to defend their two goals lead by changing their tactics to a more defensive one, perhaps, I am saying this with the benefit of  hind sight, but, this was a quarter final  match where a win is a win (even a 1-0 win).
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by chitech(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2010
our coaches are very good reading games smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley,but its only after the the match have been played grin grin grin grin grin grin
siasia can still be an option?
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by semid4lyfe(m): 3:13pm On Sep 18, 2010
davidif:

WELL THEN YOU WOULD CONTINUE TO DWELL IN MEDIOCRITY SON. HOPE YOUR EAGLES GET USED TO DWELLING ON MEDIOCRE ISLAND.
Since Westerhof, what have all the foreign coaches achieved for us? I'd rather fail with an indigenous Coach than with an Oyinbo who'll hop on the next available flight and jet off to his Country after playing us for FOOLS.

No more falling "Maga" for "Oyinbo" coach.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by Tyongi: 10:19pm On Sep 18, 2010
The idea of using foriegn Coaches is not in the best interes of the Nigerian soccer. Our local Coaches are endouwed with all the coaching potentials that can be found any where else in the world. Lets harness our local coaching resources.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by davidif: 4:40am On Sep 19, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Since Westerhof, what have all the foreign coaches achieved for us? I'd rather fail with an indigenous Coach than with an Oyinbo who'll hop on the next available flight and jet off to his Country after playing us for FOOLS.

No more falling "Maga" for "Oyinbo" coach.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Bonfrere Jo? Now tell me if any of you indigenous coaches have achieved what he achieved with the national team.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by semid4lyfe(m): 8:04am On Sep 19, 2010
davidif:

Have you ever heard of a guy named Bonfrere Jo? Now tell me if any of you  indigenous coaches have achieved what he achieved with the national team.

As if I knew you'd mention Bonfrere Jo The same Bonfrere who botched our 2002 World Cup qualification by losing to unfancied teams/football minors like Liberia and had to be sacked? Pray, tell. . .what has he achieved since he left Nigeria?
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by kcjazz(m): 8:21am On Sep 19, 2010
We can argue back and forth on foreign vs local who is better and it will never end. This is why our football needs a serious overhauling. The last time I checked there are no certification programs for our coaches, like most FAs in Europe or even the MLS we need a system to grade coaches. With talented players any one can be a coach but it is at critical deadlocks that the real deal is separated from amateurs e.g (Lowe vs Maradona). However I give kudos to the coaches for their moderate achievements so far.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by davidif: 9:41am On Sep 19, 2010
semid4lyfe:

As if I knew you'd mention Bonfrere Jo The same Bonfrere who botched our 2002 World Cup qualification by losing to unfancied teams/football minors like Liberia and had to be sacked? Pray, tell. . .what has he achieved since he left Nigeria?

Pray tell me what has Nigeria achieved since he left and while you are at it, tell me if any Nigerian coach is on the same level as Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink, Louis van Gaal, Arsene Wenger and co. I DARE YOU (IN FACT I DOUBLE DARE YOU) TO NAME ONE.
Re: When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? by kcjazz(m): 8:05pm On Sep 19, 2010
^^^^ Kai Bros, Bonfrere Jo won an Olympic medal, it is an age grade tournament its not a senior tournament and by the last count Coach Fanny Amun, Tunde Disu and Late Yemi Tella have all achieved gold at an age grade tournaments before and after 1996. Now we can argue they+Bonfrere all used over age players but that is another talk for another day.

Agreed no coach is on the level of Arsene Wenger and others but again lets not compare apples with oranges. This same Wenger has coached a team that got relegated in the 80s and coached in Japan league. What role did the Portuguese FA play in helping Maurinho?

There are social and institutional factors that limit our coaches and until the NFF steps up their game, this coaches will be limited. More so, like every career this requires discipline to succeed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kanu Nwankwo Spends Over N2billion On Choice Properties In Lekki / The Solution To Age Cheating / German Paper Leaks Out Neymar & Dembele Transfer Deals. Its more than we thought

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.