Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

The Difference Between 'am And' I'm.' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Difference Between 'am And' I'm.' (876 Views)

I Made 4.38 CGPA And I'm So Happy... / Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Difference Between 'am And' I'm.' by Respect55(m): 11:26pm On May 01, 2019
I can't deny the fact that English Language is not our mother tongue. In other way round, gaining mastery of this language and its application doesn't place one higher than others. To me, English is just another language.

Be that as it may, there is this worrisome trend in our contemporary society that has refused to slide and people tend to have accepted it as normal. I'm talking of the application of 'am' and' I'm.'

' am' is the first person singular present form of the verb (be).
'I'm' is the abbreviation of the words 'I AM'. It is usually used in combination with other words to tell someone/people about yourself or what you are doing. For example,
I'm handsome.
I'm cooking.
In a nutshell, it is grammatically wrong to use 'am' in place of 'I'm' like most people do now. For example, statements like these below are grammatically wrong :
Am handsome.
Am cooking.
Cc Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Msc, Cyber Security / Schwarzman Scholars Program Application For 2021/2022 / Do I Still Have Any Of These?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.