Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,262 members, 7,818,890 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? (902 Views)

My Life Now In Kogi State As An Unemployed Youth / Nigeria's Unemployed; How Are You Surviving? / Lagos State Employability Support Project Training Scheme For Unemployed Youth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? by OmonoWrites: 7:28am On May 10, 2019
It is a cold weekend morning in Mararaba, a suburb in Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja, Williams, a 27-year-old young man, is seen walking the streets around his neighbourhood, hands in his pockets, he is wearing a black hoodie, with a dour look on his face.

I approach him and he seems closed off, but we eventually get talking.

Williams is a graduate of Civil Engineering from one of the country’s finer universities. He has been living with his parents since graduating in 2014. He has never been employed.

“Since 2014, I have been unemployed and living with my parents at my age, I get by with the pittance I make through phone and laptop repairs, which I learnt while in school”, he laments.

“What I make is not enough to contribute to home bills like electricity and rent. I only have enough to get haircuts and buy myself some fairly used clothes, aka bend down select.”

According to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), Nigeria’s youth unemployment/underemployment rate stands at 55.4 per cent as at third quarter of 2018.

To the rising levels of youth unemployment and underemployment rate in the country, Williams says he is aware of the trend not because of official numbers but due to the rising crime rate in Abuja, the capital city as well as around other states as well.

“These days, there are kidnappers, robbers, and ritualists all over Nigeria, all of them looking out for victims, so they can make a quick buck, and it is mostly because of the lack of jobs. The country’s wealth is just circling around a select few”, he says, shrugging his broad shoulders.

Read the full story here https://lingoafrica.com/exclusive-daily-scenarios-of-life-in-nigeria-from-real-citizens-episode-1/

cry cry cry
Re: Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? by Stanweezy(m): 9:44am On May 10, 2019
OP are you the Williams?
Re: Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? by jaszplus12(m): 10:36am On May 10, 2019
Listen to the guy say earns a pittance from repair of laptop and phone. These are enough to raise a man's game! As a grad he should even do better than the regular technician! But seriously a lazy noncommittal attitude will always be the factor that determine how you approach anything you do!! Maybe if we try to be more innovative about our ideas towards what we think EMPLOYMENT means then we certainly will have a better view about how we regard ourselves! Does it mean that labor on a construction site or wheelbarrow pushing in a market is degrading? There's dignity in labor. I for one never let myself look down on any job no matter how little and it's helped me a great deal!
The youth should look beyond expecting to be employed by a parastatal or white collar job and delve into trading or some other things that draws income while we wait for that dream job with the multinationals!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? by AbdulAkpan: 2:58pm On May 10, 2019
This is interesting. Life is so difficult in this country. What is the way out?
Re: Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? by sparkle444: 3:55pm On May 10, 2019
VICTORIA'S BEAUTY SKINCARE AND SPA

We are recruiting to fill the positions below: - SALES REP (must be computer literate)
- SPA THERAPIST (minimum of 2years experience and must live around Omole, Magbodo, Ikeja or Ojodu)
- DISPATCH RIDER - DRIVER
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested Candidates should submit their CV to Victoria's Beauty New Outlet situated at
No 9, Dipo Abe street Ojodu Berger OR you can send your application and position applied for via Whatsapp to company's phone number

(1) (Reply)

Fc Energy Nig Ltd (prorich Group) / Vacancy For Head Of Accounts - Ajah Location / Job Alert! Job Alert!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.