Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,202 members, 7,822,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway (18761 Views)

Ethiopia To Ban Petrol And Diesel Fuel Cars / List Of Countries Who Are Switching From Fossil Fuel Cars To Electric Cars / These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by DonX001: 12:06pm On May 11, 2019
Deleted. Quoted the wrong post.
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by DonX001: 12:18pm On May 11, 2019
matify83:

"The typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person, lacking in self-control, discipline, and foresight. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future or grief for the past".

"He lacks the power of organisation, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business".

If the above excerpt did not send you into a sober mood then you are wired to self-destruct soon.

How do you escape poverty and ignorance when you lack the power of organization and veracity?

Fantastic!! Kudos to you, You have the patience to point out those quotes.
I do not personally have the patience to point out further beyond what I have already written out.
If they choose to play the ostrich instead of confronting and finding ways to resolve the problem, its their choice. Its part of the things Lord Lugard described about the typical African... "a lack of veracity".
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by Ijaycool(f): 12:25pm On May 11, 2019
Khaleell001:

And you think petrol is the only source of generating electricity?
Please, do your research and see that anything relating to oil that causes pollution is gradually and quickly being phased out.

We have wind, solar, hydro and thermal source of generating electricity.
So, I am wondering where your argument comes in?.

I didn't think about it that way.
Now I know better
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by DonX001: 12:32pm On May 11, 2019
Darevofpeace:
Now that we are both on the same page,what is the way forward as a Youth?
My dear, I honestly don't know for sure.
I used to be very optimistic about Nigeria, and even refused to travel out when I had several chances, but now I'm not so optimistic as Nigeria unfolds further.

The way forward as a country starts with recognizing that there is a problem first, then massive reorientation of our people to change our values from what it currently is.
To let them see that where we are now is actually a result of our actions and inactions in times past (from voting bad leaders to not voting at all, to supporting fraud and hailing criminal politicians).
And to understand that if we do not change as a people, that things will most likely move from bad to worse, then to worst. So we have to change.

And then for people to take active part in choosing leaders like you said, but only after they have been properly reorientated, because if not, we will continue to choose bad leaders and vote those who will give us 2-3k per vote so that they can be voted in and then loot billions that would have been used to develop our land.

But frankly, the way Nigeria is, I do not see this change happening in our generation. Our generation looks as if it is even worse than our elders, where crime is actively celebrated on social media, and people like Hushpuppi flaunting money with no known source of income are hailed on social media rather than investigated.

Bro, As a youth on your own personally, the way forward is to hustle hard and make it on your own, then maybe you can try and change society by influencing it, or japa to another clime if it becomes unbearable.

My honest opinion at this time.

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by earnvest: 12:43pm On May 11, 2019
Chukwuka16:
Hmmm

Sincerely, this is the reason I detest statistics - the fact that it can be skewed by anyone to support a perspective.

To an ignorant reader in the global south, this news is enough to start bashing Nigeria and other developing countries for her perceived slow progress in combating climate change. However, the reader is not intimated that there are subtle policies in place to encourage such growth - higher taxes on fuel/diesel vehicles, fantastic financing options for these vehicles and some tax concessions and the fact that these countries have an ageing population who are 'wealthy'. This is Norway with the biggest SWF by any nation on earth. Folks here in England have EV's just for status. I see them charging these vehicles all afternoon at work. My friend and I still made a 170 miles trip (340 miles return) with £51 worth of diesel and had just below a quarter tank left. Now tell me if that's not efficient and cheap.

And before you start preaching about how Norway is embracing climate change and making progress, don't forget where Statoil/Equinor is based!

To be fair to the argument, it depends on what EV you're driving. The Tesla Model S (Long-range) actually has an EPA range of 370 miles on a single charge (https://insideevs.com/news/347918/tesla-model-s-long-range-epa-rating/).

With regards to charging, Tesla superchargers take about 20 minutes to charge up to 50% (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Supercharger).
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by DonX001: 1:01pm On May 11, 2019
9jaRealist:

The very definition of racism is characterizing (usually negatively) an entire group of persons on the basis of race...

Perhaps your "truth" is different from mine and others, because most of the Africans that I PERSONALLY know definitely do not lack an ability "to visualize the future", but then again I can only speak to MY truth and not being personally privy to your own experiences, family nor the sort of Africans that you associate with, I cannot presume to invalidate your own peculiar life experiences. Suffice it nonetheless for you to bear in mind that life is NOT a homogeneous experience (with emphasis on experience)!

Meanwhile, interesting how these same Africans can emigrate abroad out of their comfort zone where they compete with others on their own home turf and routinely match or even outperform these supposedly superior races.
>

Bros, you're still talking about individuals.
Look at the entire community... Nigeria as a whole. Not individual high fliers or outliers. Every community has high fliers and "low fliers", as well as outliers, the difference is in the percentage. That determines the overall characteristics of the population, even though there may be individual variations.

Lugard was writing about his impression of the overall community, that is why he said the typical African, not ALL Africans.
Look at the entire community of Nigerians as a whole, not just those you know personally. I can assure you that I probably know more high flying Nigerians personally than you do, head count for head count, including myself.

But that does not change the reality of the GENERAL population.

Look at the entire community.
Look at people's comments and reaction to topical issues generally, both on Nairaland and social media.
Look at people's values and opinions and actions. On the general community and not just those you know.

Look at it in reality, without idealist-tinted glasses.
And go read Lord Lugard's comments again, slowly, line by line, and compare what you read with the general population.

And tell me what you see.

PS:
Your point that we excel in other climes actually validates what I and Lord Lugard is saying- that while individually we can have excellent high fliers.....

Then why is our community as a whole not high flying, compared to other countries?? Why is our country and Africa generally still relatively backward compared to non-African countries like Malaysia, Dubai, Brazil that started around the same time as us, or even long after us?? Why are our own indigenes running away from our
own country to those other countries that started the same time, or even after us?? (I'm not even talking about first world countries ooo, just those that started developing with us or after us).

Because the general population overshadows the individual high fliers by virtue of the environment the entire population creates.

The reason why our general population and country is currently like this, is due to our inherent nature that Lord Lugard clearly pointed out.

We can choose to realize it, understand it and try and change it.
Or we can choose to ignore it and bury our heads in the sand like the ostrich.

I hope you get my point now.
Cheers.
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by BiafraIsFree: 1:53pm On May 11, 2019
Common to charge phone here in Biafraland where Nigeria continuing looting and controlling oil and gas and other resources, is a rocket science to Nigeria to supply electricity to Biafrans and Nigerians Biafraland.

Biafra is our only hope in Africa.
Ijaycool:
Nonsense!

Petrol is easier to get than electricity in this country.
You will need petrol to generate electricity.
The scenario will be...
Buy electric car.
Buy generator.
Buy Petrol.
Charge your car.
Buy Petrol.
Charge your car.

Same old song.
What a pathetic sh*thole

Abeg if you see Amaechi tell him to come and finish his monorail o. Charity starts from home.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by bigcasava1(m): 2:08pm On May 11, 2019
Pls let it come so we can rest from this nigerdelta madness
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by matify83: 2:12pm On May 11, 2019
Mustiboy:
http://www.fafich.ufmg.br/~luarnaut/Lugard-dual%20mandate.pdf

Oh my word!!!!

You just made my day.

Thank you !
Gracias !!
Obrigado!!!

etc etc etc

Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by Mustiboy(m): 2:17pm On May 11, 2019
matify83:

Oh my word!!!!
You just made my day.
Thank you ! Gracias !! Obrigado!!!
etc etc etc
you're welcome
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by matify83: 2:20pm On May 11, 2019
DonX001:

My dear, I had almost the same feelings when I read the Lord Lugard's comments.
He described us as a community perfectly....and this was as far back as a hundred years ago.
People that are arguing against it are blinded by self deceit, and refuse to tell themselves the truth. (Which Lord Lugard also mentioned in that writeup as "a lack of veracity". Those that don't know the meaning of veracity can google it up.).
The man describes exactly why we are where we are today, (compared to other nations/continents), from what he wrote over a hundred years ago.
The man has vision and sagacity.
I need the book too if you can find it.

Courtesy Mustiboy

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by Nephygg: 2:23pm On May 11, 2019
aaaaabbbbbccccc:
Nigerians/Africans do not like innovation. You look at the nairaland website. It has been like this since it's inception. Now compare it with any foreign website that started around the same time with it. E.g Reddit, FB.
U can in turn open ur own website...Change can possibly begin wit u
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by MrBONE2(m): 2:25pm On May 11, 2019
aaaaabbbbbccccc:
Nigerians/Africans do not like innovation. You look at the nairaland website. It has been like this since it's inception. Now compare it with any foreign website that started around the same time with it. E.g Reddit, FB.

grin grin grin

Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by MrBONE2(m): 2:27pm On May 11, 2019
izzou:
grin

A very serious country.

Because they wanted to achieve this feat, they added incentives: No 25% tax, discounts on tolls, parking fees and the rest

Here, Nigerian rice is almost the same as the foreign rice(if not more). Made in Nigerian shoes can be more expensive than foreign ones.
Even the government official that will come to encourage Innoson or Proforce, came with a Toyota or Lexus.

grin

Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 11, 2019
Xisnin:

Oil is still the most important commodity in the world.

For now baba.....
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by ManyThanks: 6:21pm On May 11, 2019
izzou:
grin

A very serious country.

Because they wanted to achieve this feat, they added incentives: No 25% tax, discounts on tolls, parking fees and the rest

Here, Nigerian rice is almost the same as the foreign rice(if not more). Made in Nigerian shoes can be more expensive than foreign ones.
Even the government official that will come to encourage Innoson or Proforce, came with a Toyota or Lexus.

The concluding part of your write up got me laughing
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by Khaleell001(m): 11:20pm On May 11, 2019
Ijaycool:

I didn't think about it that way. Now I know better
We all make mistake my sister based in what we know.
No problem, but read wide and listen more.
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by DonX001: 11:46pm On May 11, 2019
matify83:

Courtesy Mustiboy
Thanks a lot!
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by matify83: 11:49pm On May 11, 2019
DonX001:

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome.
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by 9jaRealist: 7:43am On May 12, 2019
DonX001:
Look at the entire community... Nigeria as a whole. Not individual high fliers or outliers. Every community has high fliers and "low fliers", as well as outliers, the difference is in the percentage. That determines the overall characteristics of the population, even though there may be individual variations.

Lugard was writing about his impression of the overall community, that is why he said the typical African, not ALL Africans.
Look at the entire community of Nigerians as a whole, not just those you know personally. I can assure you that I probably know more high flying Nigerians personally than you do, head count for head count, including myself.

Look at people's comments and reaction to topical issues generally, both on Nairaland and social media.
Look at people's values and opinions and actions. On the general community and not just those you know.

And go read Lord Lugard's comments again, slowly, line by line, and compare what you read with the general population.

PS:
Your point that we excel in other climes actually validates what I and Lord Lugard is saying- that while individually we can have excellent high fliers.....

Then why is our community as a whole not high flying, compared to other countries?? Why is our country and Africa generally still relatively backward compared to non-African countries like Malaysia, Dubai, Brazil that started around the same time as us, or even long after us?? Why are our own indigenes running away from our
own country to those other countries that started the same time, or even after us?? (I'm not even talking about first world countries ooo, just those that started developing with us or after us).

Because the general population overshadows the individual high fliers by virtue of the environment the entire population creates.

The reason why our general population and country is currently like this, is due to our inherent nature that Lord Lugard clearly pointed out.

Cheers.

NOPE! I am NOT merely talking about individuals (see my response to somewhere else on this thread)...

9jaRealist:

Rather rich from the dude that displayed absolute power over the Nigerian colony with little responsibility to its indigenous population... undecided

Bros, not sure how much you have bothered to study African history (and I realize that Nigerian authorities are anti-history), and I am not even one of those folks with a rosy nostalgic view of ancient Africa, but the reality is that while his ancestors were busy slaughtering each other mindlessly during the Dark Ages, our ancestors were building centers of learning (the equivalent of today's universities) and empires, and peacefully trading across expansive territories within and between different indigenous 'nations'! Please do not let a colonial slowpoke who cannot culturally distinguish between Hausa and Fulani or Yoruba and Ibibio presume to tell you about the psyche or culture of the African.
>
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by 9jaRealist: 7:56am On May 12, 2019
DonX001:

PS:

Cheers.

So why is the the "typical" Arabs in Yemen not achieved the same as Emiratis in Dubai?

If there is any veracity to the obtuse racist construct of a "typical" race, then one would expect no difference in development and accomplishment between the high-flying Arab Gulf states and other underachieving unstable Arab states.

Were Rwandans only "typical" Africans when they indulged in an orgy of fratricidal genocide, but no longer "typical" Africans now that they have managed to reorganize themselves into a well-organized and well-run progressive society on a fast economic and social development trajectory? Were Ghanaians "typical" Africans when the country was an economic and political mess, compelled many of the best and brightest to seek refuge and succor in Nigeria (admittedly before our own generation), and no longer "typical" Africans now that they run a stable democratic political system (complete with well-organised and credible elections) and are pushing aggressively towards the ranks of middle-income nations? How about Botswana, a country that has never been wealthy but is well-organized and well-run?

Meanwhile, ALL of those obtuse racist attributes ascribed to the so-called "typical" African by the moronic Lord Lugard were not in too distant history ascribed to the "typical" Irish (up until the relatively recent 20th century, there were buildings and entire sections of UK and US cities that turned away the Irish), the "typical" Polish and even the "typical" Chinese. In my short life-time, in the 1990s, the same sort of brutish fratricidal and genocidal and religious wars that one sees in Africa raged across the Balkans in the center of Europe and further to the east across much of the former Soviet Union. The 'killing fields' of Cambodia was more brutal and gruesome than anything in the "typical" African conflict (perhaps bar the aforementioned Rwanda genocide), and let's not even mention the mass gassing of Jews in Nazi Germany.

China's 'Cultural Revolution' was as backward, primordial and anti-intellectual as any military or authoritarian rule among "typical" Africans, and the brutal military coups and dictatorships rampant throughout Latin America until relatively recently were substantively identical to same among "typical" Africans. Meanwhile, the levels of corruption (and/or state-capture) that pervades many states of Eastern and Central Europe (particularly in Russia and throughout most of the former Soviet states) and until relatively recently throughout most of Asia (frankly still shockingly pervasive in countries like the Philippines and arguably even the Malaysia that you cite) and Latin America, is just as corrosive as anything you are likely to find among so-called "typical" Africans.

I was/am not inclined to exhaustively discuss/debate this subject matter here because the limited nature of these discussions will not do real justice to the subject matter. Nonetheless, as hopefully you are now able to grasp for the various foregoing examples, there are myriad historic, economic, social and political (among other) factors for the issues that you listed with Africa or the so-called "typical" African - and NONE of it has anything to to with race or is peculiar to Africa or "typical" Africans. Frankly, the NARROW perspective, narrow worldview and to be brutally-honest the often narrow-mindedness of the supposedly 'educated' African would be even more shocking if one was not able to grasp that it is merely the logical product of the "repeat-after-me" cram-and-regurgitate nature of what passes for 'education' in most colonized nations.
>
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by 9jaRealist: 8:34am On May 12, 2019
DonX001:

PS:

Cheers.

PS: Again, NOPE! It's NOT about individuals. smiley

I am well aware that many self-centered Nigerians like to think of themselves (and perhaps their immediate families) as 'exceptional' (and thus, for example, many Nigerians would loquaciously proclaim their own individual moral infallibility in the same breathe that they summarily declare all Nigerians as corrupt and crooked). Nonetheless, it would be illogical to think it merely coincidental or happenstance that persons of Nigerian descent OUTPERFORM the general population in places like the US (in terms of educational achievement and average income) and the UK. The fact that more than one generation of Nigerians in the US and UK have CONSISTENTLY over the past 30 to 40 years outperformed the general population (and in fact, Nigerians are the group with the largest percentage of holders of advanced degrees in the US) is succinct evidence that it's less about "individuals" but more about Nigerians as a GROUP! Even those of us born and raised abroad have inherited and drunk from generations of Nigerian values, mores, and culture (including a thirst for education, knowledge, hard work and achievement). Such CONSISTENT GROUP achievement abroad establishes that whatever may be the problem with Nigerians/Africans, it is certainly NOT anything that is inherent or genetic as the racist Lord Lugard would have "repeat-after-me" Africans believe and propagate.
>
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by Carlyscales: 9:45pm On May 13, 2019
Ijaycool:
Nonsense!

Petrol is easier to get than electricity in this country.
You will need petrol to generate electricity.
The scenario will be...
Buy electric car.
Buy generator.
Buy Petrol.
Charge your car.
Buy Petrol.
Charge your car.

Same old song.
What a pathetic sh*thole

Forget!

With a single full charge of 30min u have up to 100 miles to roll.

How many Nigerians actually consume up to 100miles in a day runnings within their cities.

Yeah it's true that we get fuel easier than electricity in this shithole . But I wouldn't mind running my gen or solar gen for 30mins at night to get 100millage the next day. After all, I still need to charge my phone for more than 30mins for optimal operations the next day.

My only draw back on electric cars is the price, maintenance cost and capabilities readily around.

For a fact is that, if sun is as available as electricity to white. U can be sure they will be rolling out solar powered cars now.

Now we have sun, y ain't we evolving??
Y ar we still stuck on techs that the whites have since abandoned??
Infact right now it doesn't matter the class n type of petrol/diesel ( esp tokunbos) auto u roll in nijja, u just contributed in making our land n nation a dumping ground for outdated scraps. That's where the world is n moving right now.

There's something definitely wrong with Africans really. And electric vehicles is the future period.
Re: Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway by tck2000(m): 9:47pm On Sep 16, 2019
wow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Car Freaks – Which Car Will You Give Your All For? / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.