Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,981 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Nairalanders In College/ University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairalanders In College/ University (5367 Views)

Abiodun Alao Lectures At King’s College University Of London / D Most Annoying Things While In College/university. / Bad News In College Of Education Ankpa (coa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 11:41pm On May 03, 2007
what college do you / did you attend and what's your school like?
is it fun? boring?
how are your classes etc.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Ezinwannem: 5:11pm On May 04, 2007
u start den we follow
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Mustay(m): 10:17pm On May 04, 2007
This topic has come up before but Nairalanders just let it die
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 3:24pm On May 05, 2007
alright.
i'm not in college yet but i'll be soon. I'll be in my first year, obviously.
can you guys please say something about your colleges/ unis and any advice, something you wish you knew before you started. etc.
do you like your school, why/ why not etc.

please don't let this thread die.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by opuro(m): 4:07pm On May 05, 2007
am confused
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by justme3(m): 4:16pm On May 05, 2007
I like this topic but i really don't know the info you want us to give
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 4:38pm On May 05, 2007
just whatever. it's a chat forum.

@just me,
do you live on campus? what's your major?
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by tarfaadam(m): 6:45pm On May 05, 2007
Wesleyana
like u no wat is good to as abt de school inshut
wat ar the mxmom level ar recomended to ur lecturer. wat is the percentage of attendance in dat school
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by uspry1(f): 6:50pm On May 05, 2007
I graduated from online distance at American InterContential University (AIU) online which was my first challenge to pursue my accelerated 18 months advanced Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) course in Visual Communications in year 2004. That is equally to 4 years university in order to re-polish my existing web development certification I already took and Bachelor Science in Computer Information Systems.

It was awesome fun, stressful to cram every Saturday's deadline assignment by midnight. (20 courses on each 5 weeks assignment/hand-on lab/whiteboard chatroom/online class in 18 months). I met more than 200 students internationally differently on every 5 weeks courses as well as teachers differently---most teachers, who teach at AIU, are working at home teaching them electronically---no need to drive to college teaching in the classroom. AIU is international online education program.

The online class itself holds 200 students per one professor to teach one 5-weeks courses.

Upon my graduated, I earned my BFA degree with 3.90 GPA Summa Cum Laude---first deaf student in AIU. My hearing sister saw my graduation and transfer from her university, Strater (4 yr) to AIU and graduated in B.Sci in Business Administration (13 months) on year 2005. Because she hated waiting to graduate 3 more years so she took accelerated courses more faster in order to get job promotion faster.

If you are interested in sign up online distance, here is the link i provide: www.aiuonline.edu/
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 7:45pm On May 05, 2007
wow shocked shocked that's awesome. cyber-space school!!! technology works wonders i guess.
i've seen the ads but i never thought they were real.

It sounds cool but i guess i'll rather attend college somewhere out-of-state. I visited a few and thought they were nice.
plus you can do whatever you want. no parents etc but there's more responsibilities.

that's why i thought you guys can share your stories here. does your college look nice etc

@uspry, do they mail your diploma to your house or you have to print it from the pc? do they mail stuff to you and such? don't know how online schools work but that's really cool.

congratulations on your degree!!
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 7:47pm On May 05, 2007
tarfa_adam:

Wesleyana
like u no what is good to as about de school inshut
what ar the mxmom level ar recomended to your lecturer. what is the percentage of attendance in that school

i haven't started yet, that's why i want you guys to talk about your schools. lol
when i start, I'll talk about my school and what's going on. tongue
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by uspry1(f): 9:21pm On May 05, 2007
AIU mail my degree straight to my home mailing address 4 weeks, they make sure all tuition fees are paid off b4 they send me my degree.

They also offer me lifetime career development for those are graduated to find jobs out there.

Yes the online education you saw online advertisements as well as TV commericals are REAL!!!!

If you are not sure if online university/college is fake or not, you can check the US of Education to verify university/college on the database system, unlikely here in 9ja, one of them has fake education site.

More than 1,000 real online university in the US plus UK too.

Most online education has its own education dynamic portfolio presentation to show you how it work, what it look like, and online class sample demo---what assignment look like. So it won't be fake like that.

All online college application is AUTOMATICALLY contact you by either phone or IM to get you LIVE interview to protect themself (college admission staff/recruiters) to get know whether if you are real student or fake student b4 accept the application---just like real job interivew. It is same way as paper application. NO DIFFERENCE, but online application is much quicker than paper application---2 weeks process and make decision 24 hours to approve or decline application. Remember all application fees are NON-REFUNDABLE!!!
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Jezgirl(f): 9:22pm On May 05, 2007
I'm in my first year at Nottingham Trent University studying MSci Pharmaceutical and medicinal science.
Peace out.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by uspry1(f): 9:27pm On May 05, 2007
AIU has its own building university in their headquarter in Illinois.

Most popular universities have online distance courses available for ppl who cannot afford to drive to the real classroom or conflict with their workplace they cannot leave/quit.

Now 60% college students prefer online distance than traditionally universities. Save money on trip, room/board fee on college tuition, etc.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 9:29pm On May 05, 2007
unlikely here in Nigeria, one of them has fake education site.

No. it wasn't a Nigerian who created that site (i hope not).
It was a website making mockery of Nigeria and it's infamous 419 reputation. whoever created that website is a loser.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by uspry1(f): 9:55pm On May 05, 2007
WesleyanA:

No. it wasn't a Nigerian who created that site (i hope not).
It was a website making mockery of Nigeria and it's infamous 419 reputation. whoever created that website is a loser.

According to the existing NL topic, "UniversityOfNigeria.com (NOT University of Nigeria, Nsukka)" I read few months ago at below:

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-2303.0.html

Nairalanders claim it is fake Nigeria university site. I see that the loser is from Nigeria, what u talk about?

I, myself, did trace its domain name to reveal who the domain registratar is thru private site of WHOIS:

Registrant:
Pym Pelil *****@universityofnigeria.com
Pym Pelil
Box 724
Mt Hagen,WHP,PG na

Domain Name:universityofnigeria.com
Record last updated at 2004-09-19 20:51:01
Record created on 2004/3/6
Record expired on 2009/3/6
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 10:34pm On May 05, 2007
Pym Pelil *****@universityofnigeria.com
Pym Pelil
Box 724
Mt Hagen,WHP,PG na

pym pelil is not a nigerian name, neither is Mt Hagen a location in Nigeria.

even just by reading the description in the main site, one can figure that the website is satirical. but the satire is based on a stereotype and that's why i find it disturbing.
it's a crude joke that i didn't/ don't find funny.

read this page and you'll be convinced that the author of that website is a non-nigerian or a nigerian that HATES nigeria. non-nigerian makes better sense though.

http://www.universityofnigeria.com/alumni.htm

You're not Nigerian are you? You don't "sound" Nigerian.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by uspry1(f): 11:04pm On May 05, 2007
I am aware of fake Nigeria site as i read whole thing from existing Nairaland topic. I understood how upset Nairalanders are about it.

Yes, that is correct that I am not Nigerian. I am fully USA born on the East Coast area learning the depth of Nigeria culture for 9 months (last year) now and just join Nairaland member since this Feb this year in preparation of visit Nigeria for my feasibility studies of Rural electrification hybrid renewable system proposal with the emphasized in solar and wind generator replacing fossil-enegry generator. You have seen my post on that topic in the Business section of Nairaland forum. "Build solar-wind generated houses in Nigeria". This proposal is for venture capitalists to invest their money on my proposal starting funds including my accomodation needs in exchange for return on investment. I already gather needed information as well as few Nigeria professionals to work with me. Alot of North, South and East Africa---Ghana (one West) had been done successfully on solar and wind energy in the rural residential community from the largest financial contributions by US and UK supports. (lot of private wealthiest ppl to donate their money on them), Never seen Nigeria get one!!!!

I know lot about Nigeria beside 419/scammer I ignored what USA say negatively using google search that's how i found Nairaland forum to reveal the truth.

The problem is that I am not quite sure that Nigeria do understand fully about disablity law (civil rights for disabled people), Nigeria has its own disability law i find very limited and weak unlikely to the US's American with the Disability Act of 1990. [see link: http://www.africa-interactive.net/index.php?PageID=4015 ]

Finally, when I first time joined this Nairaland forum, I find those people were make fun of my deafness, but it does not hinder me from reading and posting Nairaland. Refer the bible scripture, Leviticus 19:14, it says, "You must not curse a deaf man. You must not put something in front of a blind person to make him fall. But you must respect your God. I am the Lord."

Do you know that in the US's foreign language in Sign Language course at both high school and college/university are very popular? The job: Sign language interpreter salary made average from $20,000 to $60,000 a year. There are shortage of sign language interpreters everywhere for 25 millions deaf population in the US.

May Lord be with you!
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by dtwsola(m): 11:57pm On May 05, 2007
No offence uspry, but what good is a degree if it's not accredited. The whole concept of online degree does not make much sense to me.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by dtwsola(m): 11:58pm On May 05, 2007
By the way I'm a University of Michigan Alum (B.S Aerospace Engineering). B.S. = American for bachelor of Science != Bullshit
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by uspry1(f): 1:10am On May 06, 2007
dtw_sola:

No offence uspry, but what good is a degree if it's not accredited. The whole concept of online degree does not make much sense to me.

If online degree does not make sense to you, then why are you relying on internet world, i mean what are you doing online here Nairaland if you disagreed with online courses? If online education is not accredited, i don't think they will allow that because of department of education (government agency) requirements to meet.

Mostly online education are done by contracted tenured professors from traditionally universities to work at home teaching largest students online. Traditionally universities only limit 25 students per classroom, while online education has unlimited students take various courses from 25 to 200, or even 1,000 students per professor. Online educators earn bigger money than traditionally educators. Online education has cyber-library, cyber-tutor, cyber-academic advisor, goes on, that you don't have to make appointment to see your academic advisor, go to the library to research something, or walk into tutor's place to study weak assignment in a traditionally universities.

For example in online course:

Algebra Section 1 class Tu & Th 1am to 3pm Mr. Teacher A (200 students sign up)
Algebra Section 2 class Mo & W 9am to 11 am Mr. Teacher B (200 students sign up)
Algebra Section 3 class M-f 1am to 2pm Mr. Teacher C (1,000 students sign up)

Because Online education is SELF-PACED flexibility class schedule you choose 1 hr each day class(Mon-Fri) or 3 hr class per 2 days (Tues and Thurs). It has class agenda, teacher's office one-to-one text chat (IM), hand-on labs, and group discussion via login system per student, all are graded-based system. Deadline assignments by teacher are varied. But in my online class, most Saturday at midnight is common deadline assignments, 2am morning last minute due is 5 point take down credit putting a grade (ouch).

Pretty safe from sexual harrassment (professor have sex with students---sicko!!) and school shooters like Cho in Virginia Tech!!!!

When you access the university's extranet system for assignment/agenda, you also will get a course's chatroom reveal whole classmates name, email, IM, etc similiar to Nairaland forum's "who's online".

Let's give you a big picture! This is only example.

What if Nigeria President decide to FORBID all Nigeria citizens not leaving Nigeria for good (abolish immigrant system---closed all Embassies in Nigeria), and all Nigeria universities has all outdated courses, what will you do? You already have computer, printer, speaker, and software applications. You stuck studying outdated courses to earn your degree while outside the world already advance technology far ahead of you.

Does it make sense to you?
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by spicie: 3:36am On May 06, 2007
This thread really helped me clear some doubts am having before, i thought all this online schools are fake untill i contacted uspry1 ,she really helped me with useful informations plus shes so friendly and understanding, Tnx alot gurl grin wink
Any of u need help on education? go after uspry1 grin grin grin
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by menike(m): 4:54am On May 06, 2007
I actually attended Queensborough Comm College (New York)

Major >>> Music (So I live in the studio) grin grin grin
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 06, 2007
@uspry1
Hello i find all your posts very educating.I just graduated from the university in nigeria and currently in portsmorth on vacation.Which online sch can i go to for higher degree in information technology related courses.
Plz email me on geezboy@gmail.com
Thanks.

I graduated from the university of ilorin.studied physics and electronics.had an extra semester cos my lecturers see me as a spoilt child cos i had a car etc
if i am in an online sch,that wont be dre.
but still finished with a 2.1
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by dtwsola(m): 1:59pm On May 06, 2007
I'll just be very honest with you. If you are doing any technical or scientific degree, no employer will take your online diploma seriously. I don't know about business and law, but I'm sure it's the same to most employers. If you plan to be self employed you can probaly do such, but otherwise, you are seriously wasting your time. I am not against educating yourself online, but I am against paying for it, and it is silly to be expecting some degree from it.

Actually one of my fave websites is MIT OPenCourseware. The site has downloadable video of lectures given by MIT profs as well as pdfs of exams and coursework . I guess now I should be expecting a degree in Electrical Engineeering, right grin. MIT OCW is great, but there is no substitution for sitting in lecture hall and taking timed, rigorous exams, and performing lab work with other students.
Sorry you will have a hard time trying to convince anyone of the merits of an online degree, much less an employer.

And uspry1, are you serious about the Va. Tech incident. That was a freak accident. Colleges and Universities still remain much safer than other civilian places of interaction. You can't really be that paranoid? When was the last time you heard about a shooting at a university. Things like this are extremely rare. That was just such a nonpoint.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by zebudaya(m): 8:29pm On May 06, 2007
Hey dtw_sola how did the aerospace engineering degree work out for you? do you use it in your current job or you chose another career path?
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by legnahcra(m): 8:38pm On May 06, 2007
am in 300 level comp. sci in U.I. and I can tell u that its been nothing but stress.
even the girls are too efikoish to be fun.
seriously apart from the lectures I would prefer to be somewhere else like OSU or UNILAG.
tooooo stressful
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by uspry1(f): 10:15pm On May 06, 2007
@ dtw_sola

Let me clarify you, this is not a DIPLOMA just like secondary school diploma!!! You don't know the difference between diploma and degree. THIS ARE BACHELOR DEGREES as well as Master Degree, and PhD everywhere online education.  This is your opinion to disagree about online education, you stick with old fashioned way (traditionally), that is fine for you, not for me!!! That is your opinion, not mine!

All majors are Business, Science, Law, Medicine, Technology, Criminology, goes on, i cannot write all listings here.

No, this is not the reason why I took online education. I am not that kind of paranoid or phobia type of person. You don't know me well. I am single mother of 2 children and cannot afford sending children to the expensive daycare center with my meager low salary or not trust hearing relatives to babysit my children---and i cannot leave my full-time job if i go traditionally college, that's why i go online education at my own self-paced flexible schedule as full-time student anytime (i don't want part-time student, that's where I come in).

In the past i went traditionally college (Gallaudet University, the world's deaf university in Washington DC) back 25 years ago earning my bachelor science degree in Computer Information Systems. Deaf uni has lack of regular hearing college education background that lag far way behind, their communication/education level is too low for me not matched with my natural gifted and talented child. All courses were too easy for me---all 3rd-5th reading level, i mean baby education i hate the most.

That's why i go for online education in a hearing world, once my both children turn teenager i return schooling again to re-polish my advanced web development. I got my 2004 Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Communication while continue running my own web-graphic designing business with technical and programming skills i already pursed in the past.

Not only i heard about college shooting, i have been heard too many times: stalking, raping, murder, kidnapping, drunk, fratnity/soronity dazing, goes on about university everywhere in  the USA all my life since i was born (TV, newspaper, my friends/family, rumors). Nothing you think it is safe!!!

My parent still worry sick about me facing reality, bec I am deaf, my parent think not safe for myself being alone in the city leaving my parent behind. My parent must be crazy!!! lol!!!
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by LoVeBoOBS: 4:14am On May 07, 2007
Am going be a senior next fall cheesy cheesy cheesy so happy

I attend Penn ate which is mostly 80% of white and 20& of minority, my major is Economics I don't really like but I have no choice.
My school is roughly more than 40, 000 thousands students

I live off campus because i can’t stand sharing rooms with people or dealing with those roommates
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by tunrexdj(m): 6:59am On May 07, 2007
WELL,AM A 300 LEVEL UDERGRADUATE OF ECONOMICS AT THE LEGENDARY N FAMOUS OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY,HERE IN NIGERIA.I MUST SAY THAT,EVERYTHING ABOUT THE SCHOOL IS''BOOKS,BOOKS,BOOKS N BOOK".JACKING AS TAKEN OVER THE SOCIAL LIFE.SOMETIMES I WONDER,IF ALL WHAT I CAME TO OAU TO DO IS TO "READ".GOD KNOWS, I CAN WAIT TO FINISH MY BSC N FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FROM AUSTERE UNIVERSITY.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by afolayangs(m): 12:50pm On May 07, 2007
well,

I graduated 4rm the university of ilorin in 2004
== Gained admission in 2002
Nothing like ASUU strike
so fast and hitch- free all year round
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Elgaxton(m): 1:44pm On May 07, 2007
afolayangs:

well,

I graduated from the university of ilorin in 2004
== Gained admission in 2002
Nothing like ASUU strike
so fast and hitch- free all year round
My guy its so funny because all ASUU in strikes naija university through-out the past eight years was as a result of the demands from your school !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What Primary School Students Were Caught Doing During Classes / 10 Interesting Piranha Facts / List Of Universities That Accepts Low JAMB Score For Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.