Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water (9349 Views)

SOLD!!!! Toks 2004 Pontiac Vibe (same As Toyota Matrix); N1.5m Only. 08034212590 / We Facelift/Upgrade...BENZ/BMW/Audi/Lexus/Porsche/Toyota/Honda & More (4d Ceo's) / Start Saving As Toyota Camry 2018 Model Will Flood Market Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by rapper12: 11:49pm On May 18, 2019
Original article source, pictures: https://somto.com/trouble-for-nigeria-other-crude-oil-economies-as-toyota-honda-produce-cars-that-run-on-water/
If you watched local TV channels at a lot in the late 2000s just like me, you must have seen that Bank PHB advert where they predicted that “one day, cars will run on water”. The advert shows a man driving his car on the highway and when the fuel gauge signaled an empty tank, he stopped the car at a fueling station and refilled it with water before continuing his journey.

Although Bank PHB is now defunct and transitioned into Keystone Bank or something, THAT day when cars are running on water is here and it doesn’t look great for Nigeria. I will explain.

World’s largest car brand, Toyota, recently announced the 2020 Toyota Mirai HFC in Japan. Mirai is a Japanese word for future and the car itself is a hydrogen-powered sedan that is now being touted to replace our “normal” petrol-powered combustion engine cars in the future.

Lets see how the Toyota Mirai works.
Hydrogen is an element that binds with oxygen to form a compound called H20, otherwise known as water. To produce hydrogen, you only have to remove oxygen from water, the remaining stuff is known as hydrogen and it’s really powerful – so powerful that it can substitute fossil fuels like petrol in electricity production. In fact, Hydrogen accounted for nearly 2% of the electricity supply in the USA in 2018. The US government says it wants to make that figure higher. The icing on the cake is that Hydrogen does not cause global warming, pollution, or generates smoke when used. When used with oxygen to produce electricity or power, what hydrogen emits as its by-product is…wait for it… water.

The Toyota Mirai works like a normal hybrid Lexus or Highlander or Prius, however, instead of petrol, it uses hydrogen to produce electricity. As the car takes the needed amount of electric to function, it diverts excesses and stores it in a special battery. When the battery is filled up, hydrogen is put to rest and the car depends on the battery for power until the battery gets low and it switches back to hydrogen again and vice versa.

How succesful is the Toyota Mirai going to be?
Toyota sold only 5000 hydrogen cars last year but the Japanese car maker says it expects to sell 30,000 in 2019. The fast expansion of the hydrogen fuel cell market could be a pipe dream for now due to lack of hydrogen stations which are said to be three times more expensive to setup than conventional petrol/gas stations.

Alongside the Toyota Mirai which is the first production hydrogen fuel cell vehicle to go into production, Honda is offering the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell while Kia/Hyundai has the Hyundai ix35 FCEV and American car giant Chrysler has the Natrium HFC in stock.

Toyota Mirai and HFCs are still better alternatives to Teslas, other electric vehicles
Tesla electric car models take an average of 8 hours to charge up when connected to a non-supercharger. The Toyota Mirai takes ~4 minutes to get a full tank refill of hydrogen. A Toyota Mirai with a full tank of Hydrogen has a capacity of driving from Abuja to Onitsha without the need for a refill, most electric cars can’t. Worse, you’ll be forced to spend a lot of time by the roadside charging your electric vehicle if it goes flat during a journey.

The biggest gain Toyota Mirai has over Tesla (and Nissan Leaf, Mercedes EVs, and other electric vehicle products) is that one requires only hydrogen to function, but for the other, you’ll require conventional electricity to charge it, and more often than not, this electricity is generated in power plants that use fossil fuels and gasses to generate power – so you ended up burning fuel and causing global warming just to charge your car.

What this means for Nigeria
The world is tilting towards less and less dependency on crude oil due to global warming and this means bad business for Nigeria whose economy is powered by crude oil sales. Not just Nigeria, any country that solely depends on crude oil to survive will have itself to blame by 2030 when nationwide bans take effect on cars that use diesel and petrol in many countries of the world.

Here’s a list of countries that are so determined to keep fuel cars from plying their roads that they got them banned:

Note: Seattle and Los Angeles are two cities in the United States who placed bans on fossil cars. Other states are expected to follow suit in the near future.

Whether Hydrogen vehicles are taking over the world or not, we’re only certain that the crude oil fiesta will not last forever. Nigeria should borrow a leaf from what is currently happening in Venezuela and picture what happens when a crude oil party is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRwPc5yJqCo
lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by mountmoriah(m): 11:59pm On May 18, 2019
Incredible innovation
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Tocynone(m): 12:14am On May 19, 2019
We'll get there

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Kingpee2(m): 4:01am On May 19, 2019
Tocynone:
We'll get there
When ? year 2098�

4 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by shuttox: 4:54am On May 19, 2019
Very nice concept

At least we can invest on other stuff not only in oil

2 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by thesolutions(m): 6:07am On May 19, 2019
Hydrogen gas is very expensive in nature.
You can not remove hydrogen from water. Not by heating no by any other chemical reaction. So cars can never run on water.

2 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by PLATO1U(m): 6:44am On May 19, 2019
Tech for the world.
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by senola1: 7:15am On May 19, 2019
Mtchewww.....what do you know

thesolutions:
You can not remove hydrogen from water. Not by heating no by any other chemical reaction. So cars can never run on water.

9 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Timmypromise(m): 7:33am On May 19, 2019
Op no trouble. .....Nigeria won't improve no sensible Nigerian will buy that. ..so oil is still important
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by BIGGIE121(m): 8:17am On May 19, 2019
Wonder shall never end
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Samusu(m): 8:39am On May 19, 2019
rapper12:
Original article source, pictures: https://somto.com/trouble-for-nigeria-other-crude-oil-economies-as-toyota-honda-produce-cars-that-run-on-water/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRwPc5yJqCo
lalasticlala

That Man that resemble Yakubu Aiyegbeni like that.
Nostalgic
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Samusu(m): 8:39am On May 19, 2019
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by TheLogicalMind(m): 8:44am On May 19, 2019
As time advances cheaper and more cost effective methods of adapting this energy source to every day use will gradually emerge.

thesolutions:

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by femidejulius(m): 9:07am On May 19, 2019
While I am aware of emerging technologies and the fact that technology is dynamic, I will say categorically that cars will never run on water, at least there will be no mass production on cars that run on water.

Hydrogen cars may emerge in the market but the hydrogen will never be produced by using water.

Water isn't as cheap as you think. If all cars are to run on water, there will be no more water for humans, animals and plants.

2 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by FlutterDollar99(m): 9:27am On May 19, 2019
Wow so DANGOTE has played himself!!
Well I believe he has a business strategy to generate the funds he is using to build refinery
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Nobody: 10:20am On May 19, 2019
Can you prove this

femidejulius:
While I am aware of emerging technologies and the fact that technology is dynamic, I will say categorically that cars will never run on water, at least there will be no mass production on cars that run on water.

Hydrogen cars may emerge in the market but the hydrogen will never be produced by using water.

Water isn't as cheap as you think. If all cars are to run on water, there will be no more water for humans, animals and plants.

1 Like

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Basher8583: 10:22am On May 19, 2019
femidejulius:

Very wrong. The by-product of cars that runs on water is water.
What you should be woried about is the flamability of hydrogen which is far more dangerous and volatile than petrol

3 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Bilsz(m): 10:39am On May 19, 2019
I will rather You call it the breathing car since it breathes in oxygen to react with other element. besides, you don't fuel it directly with water, instead water is part of its bye product.

Only when there is a converter that can transform water fuel to hydrogen then can it be eligible for such qualification.
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by femidejulius(m): 10:49am On May 19, 2019
eelbay:
Can you prove this

Think about it. How many gallons of petrol do you think cars run on in Nigeria alone? How many Nigerians do not have access to water? How many has to ration it daily especially in the dry season? If cars start using water, it will be more scare.

Even in developed countries, water is retreated and recirculated. In developing countries, groundwater is being depleted daily. Water isn't as cheap as you think.

2 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by femidejulius(m): 10:58am On May 19, 2019
Basher8583:

Very wrong. The by-product of cars that runs on water is water.
What you should be woried about is the flamability of hydrogen which is far more dangerous and volatile than petrol

The volatility of hydrogen can be controlled. Naturally gases for instance is not stable too but advancement in technology has made it possible to be transported over long distances through pipelines without any problems. So, hydrogen can be stabilised in cars. I am not worried about that.

My worries is where to get the water to power them. Lots of countries lack water and have to recycle the little it has. Lots that has water have significantly depleted their underground water sources. Others waste the water they have. There are so many cars in the world.

If hydrogen is removed from H2O, what you have left is oxygen, so the by-product of a car that uses the hydrogen in water will be Oxygen.

Modified: Even the picture earlier on this page claim water will be ejected via the exhaust, therefore it collaborates my earlier stand that more water will be needed and global water consumption will become very high. Water from exhaust can't be saved, can it?

1 Like

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by fasasifawaz(m): 10:58am On May 19, 2019
we to we will get there
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Basher8583: 11:30am On May 19, 2019
femidejulius:

The volatility of hydrogen can be controlled. Naturally gases for instance is not stable too but advancement in technology has made it possible to be transported over long distances through pipelines without any problems. So, hydrogen can be stabilised in cars. I am not worried about that.

My worries is where to get the water to power them. Lots of countries lack water and have to recycle the little it has. Lots that has water have significantly depleted their underground water sources. Others waste the water they have. There are so many cars in the world.

If hydrogen is removed from H2O, what you have left is oxygen, so the by-product of a car that uses the hydrogen in water will be Oxygen.

@bolded shows you know nothing about chemistry. Please stay in your lane.
You know nothing about the stability of hydrogen.
Do you know how emense the explosion will be for the hydrogen tank to rupture. How do you stabilise that. It is more volatile than petrol which is dense by the way and has been a reason why it hasn't gain much traction since it's introduction as a propellant for cars. Besides the hydrogen is stored under intense presure (about 10,000psi). Imagine rupturing that. I can tell you for free that no one will find your pieces after the crash.
No body wants to buy a moving bomb!
Even the use of Kevlar coated tanks cannot stop it.
Imagine everytime you enter you new hydrogen powered whip is like an attempt at suicide. Lol
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Basher8583: 11:39am On May 19, 2019
femidejulius:

Think about it. How many gallons of petrol do you think cars run on in Nigeria alone? How many Nigerians do not have access to water? How many has to ration it daily especially in the dry season? If cars start using water, it will be more scare.

Even in developed countries, water is retreated and recirculated. In developing countries, groundwater is being depleted daily. Water isn't as cheap as you think.

You are probably leaving is an area with little access to water. There's water everywhere.
Drill a borehole and you will have unlimited access to it

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by femidejulius(m): 11:57am On May 19, 2019
Basher8583:

You are probably leaving is an area with little access to water. There's water everywhere.
Drill a borehole and you will have unlimited access to it

This shows you know nothing about geophysics, water and sustainability. I told you already about ground water depletion. So you dig boreholes all over the world and when volcanic eruption occur, boom! You are gone and we can't find your remains. And what happens if you finish the underground water that took millions of years to be underneath us?

I have access to all the water I need personally but unlike you I am not ignorant to understand that there are billions of you and I all over the world that can't rely on boreholes for water.
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Shinjitsu: 11:59am On May 19, 2019
I pray this cars comes into Nigeria ....So the stupid and foolish hausa/foolanis and their yourba slaves will know that they are nothing without oil

Lol

1 Like

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by mrNEMZY(m): 1:45pm On May 19, 2019
From electric cars to water cars.E don be for Nigeria.

Maybe, when oil completely looses value, we can now separate in peace.

Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by mytime24(f): 1:47pm On May 19, 2019
if those cars hit naija,

Water go begin scarce wink cheesy
Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by Hotworta1: 2:08pm On May 19, 2019
thesolutions:

Lol...the world is moving faster than your thoughts, hope u realize this?!

For every innovation, no matter how tough the ride will be...there must be an easy access...some day, some how.

1 Like

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by jubikpama(m): 2:42pm On May 19, 2019
Surprisingly, way back in 2008 -2009 a small company in Osaka Japan named Genepax came up with a working prototype of a car powered by water.

Running a car on water has been the holy grail for car manufacturers for some time now, but it appears that a Japanese company named Genepax may have pulled ahead of the competition with a prototype vehicle that runs entirely on water .

The painful thing is that the company just couldn't survive. And I have been asking myself why would such a wonderful dream be buried without any reason?

You can search on Google for "car powered by water in Osaka Japan "

1 Like

Re: Trouble For Nigeria As Toyota, Honda Produce Cars That Run On Water by rapper12: 2:45pm On May 19, 2019
femidejulius:

The car runs on Hydrogen technically, not water. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and 8th most abundant on earth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Sienna 2010/11 LE Leather/Revcam/Fulloption Used...4m Now SOLD SOLD / Toks 2016 Lexus ES350 Full Option And Accident Free / Used Honda Bulldog For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.