Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,897 members, 7,821,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? (9029 Views)

Great News For Baby Boomers: Hair Cloning Is On Its Way!! / Flourescent Green Glowing Pig: So Much For Cloning & Genetics / Abortion: A Right Or a Crime? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by layi(m): 6:01am On Jan 16, 2006
I am a christian but would put the scriptures aside since we all aint a party to that line of reasoning.

Definition: A clone (from Greek klon) is an individual—plant, animal or human being—derived by asexual reproduction from another organism that has the identical hereditary components.

In as much as I support the Idea of cloning animals, I don't support the Idea of a Clone. Of copurse I know we already have cloned humans. Twins are natural clones. Individuals could derive from the same cell (identical twins), The fertilized egg splits in two, and each of these two ‘daughter’ cells develops separately. They are individual people with an absolutely identical set of genes. Because of this they have the same innate gifts and talents, as well as the same predisposition to particular illnesses. But they Both have their own personality, and their own soul

My Take against cloning stems from what Dr Alan Colman, of PPL Therapeutics in Edinburgh: a research director recently said

‘My own view is that the research [on human cloning] is immoral at the present time and should always be immoral. To make the technique more efficient would require a great deal of experimentation. And to get this more refined would be at the expense of having deformed babies, etc. To get it into a situation where you could clone humans efficiently would have such a history of misery associated with it.’

This is a cpogent for rejecting the artificial cloning of humans. Each fertilized egg, including those from cloning, is a new human individual. Yet perfecting the cloning technique requires many experiments. Many individuals would be enabled to commence life, only to be deliberately destroyed.

Thus, while it may be right under certain circumstances to clone animals to benefit people, I think it is absolutely wrong to try to clone humans.

Whats ur take?
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by luvu567(f): 7:33am On Jan 16, 2006
I dont think its right because there are many things that could go wrong with it
and i think its just not needed

Anything could go wrong with it and then itll be another disease or dangerous bacteria that can be created

Its just wrong cuz God didnt make it himself
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dejiolowe: 7:29am On Jan 18, 2006
am in support of cloning. i guess ppl are scared for God. Science cant dethrone God.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by nferyn(m): 7:45am On Jan 18, 2006
I completely disagree with the statement that a fertilised egg is a human being. A human being is an independent lifeform of the species homo sapiens sapiens that has obtained personhood. Personhood kicks in when sentience begins, but that's another discussion.

I am not against using cloning techniques for therapeutical reasons and for reseach (e.g. to obtain stem cells), but these 'clones' should never, ever be allowed to grow into babies for the reasons already mentioned. The risk for those embryo's to be deformed or have one or another defect is just too big, especially if you consider the fact that there is no benefit in letting those clones grow to human beings. The only purpose it can serve is to boost the ego of the person from whom the genetic material was taken, and that is not a valid reason at all.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dejiolowe: 8:31am On Jan 18, 2006
risks risks risks. thatz all u guys talk about. can you achieve something without risks? if we can clone better human (better as in strong against bacterials and vira) then why not. why r u guys scared?
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by nferyn(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2006
dejiolowe:

risks risks risks. thatz all u guys talk about. can you achieve something without risks? if we can clone better human (better as in strong against bacterials and vira) then why not. why r u guys scared?
How on earth would you clone a better person? A clone is, by definition, genetically identical to the original person.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by luvu567(f): 3:13am On Jan 19, 2006
yeah if they make a clone of u and ur clone goes out and commit a crime u could be arrested instead of ur clone and be punished for something u didn t do....................all because u have a clone that has the same DNA as u......................a clone is basically u
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by nferyn(m): 8:15am On Jan 19, 2006
luvu567:

yeah if they make a clone of u and your clone goes out and commit a crime u could be arrested instead of your clone and be punished for something u didn t do....................all because u have a clone that has the same DNA as u......................a clone is basically u
No, not really. You are far more than your DNA. From the moment of conception, your environment plays a role that is equally as important as your DNA in what you will become
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dejiolowe: 8:39am On Jan 19, 2006
@luvu567 your clone is not you. your clone came from your single DNA structure while you came from your mum's and dad's. in fact, your clone could be so different from you coz there are zillion other things that make u what u r apart from genes. he could be a lot taller, smarter, etc. he could be a genius while u r dumb. he could be extroverted while u r not.

and if ur clone commits murder, he will be shot while u go and create another clone. and mind you, a clone is born so the age disparity will be much. they dont come out your size when they r cloned. in fact, they will be like your baby....
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by luridguy(m): 9:30am On Jan 19, 2006
Physicians from the American Medical Association and scientists with the American Association for the Advancement of Science have issued formal public statements advising against human reproductive cloning. Currently, the U.S. Congress is considering the passage of legislation that could ban human cloning.

many scientists and physicians strongly believe that it would be unethical to attempt to clone humans. Not only do most attempts to clone mammals fail, about 30% of clones born alive are affected with "large offspring syndrome" and other debilitating conditions. Several cloned animals have died prematurely from infections and other complications. The same problems would be expected in human cloning. In addition, scientists do not know how cloning could impact mental development. While factors such as intellect and mood may not be as important for a cow or a mouse, they are crucial for the development of healthy humans. With so many unknowns concerning reproductive cloning, the attempt to clone humans at this time is considered potentially dangerous and ethically irresponsible. angry
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by nferyn(m): 9:32am On Jan 19, 2006
@ luridguy
I fully agree with banning reproductive cloning. Therapeutic cloning should not be banned, though
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by roca(f): 12:12pm On Jan 19, 2006
hey i had a debate on dat 2 weeks ago i wish had seen dis site .
yall dat say d result of cloning has always been a deformed baby i tell u dats not a reason 2 show dat cloning is bad just dat the technology they use is poor more research needs 2 be done 4 better result .

again dey argure dat cloning is like playin GOd or dethronein him dats pure bull shit . go look it up when scientist got a break thru with heart transplant dsame thing was been said now people believe is a way 2 save lyfe i say give it time and clonin will up and runnin
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by layi(m): 12:27pm On Jan 19, 2006
It would surprise u that God cannot be said to be outrightly against cloning.
Of course GOD instituted marriage but he did not mandate reproduction to be sexual. Rather his words were "Go Ye and multiply".
Cloning is merely an asexual means of reproduction. Twins are clones albeit sexual.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by cushman(m): 1:34pm On Jan 19, 2006
I'm always guided by my religion. Cloning whether human or animal is entirely wrong
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by roca(f): 2:51pm On Jan 19, 2006
i think dis world is abt survival of the fitest so clonin is way for us to keep human alive and in good condition. besides why will God give us all dis brain if is not to figure such things out
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by cushman(m): 6:18pm On Jan 19, 2006
@roca, are you saying we should forget about God and just carry-on with whatever we like?
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by layi(m): 6:21pm On Jan 19, 2006
@cushman
What does GOD have to say about cloning in general and human cloning in particular?
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by cushman(m): 6:28pm On Jan 19, 2006
God is the only creator of men and the entire universe. Cloning in general (to me) it's like competing with the Almighty. - God forbid!

Mark my words; very soon people will start thinking they are gods
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by roca(f): 10:02pm On Jan 19, 2006
cushman i didn't say we should 4get abt God hez always dere but i think he gave d scientist the brain 2 do dis
how do yall know what God is thinkin nigerian as so sreligious sometymes they just go 2 far
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dejiolowe: 10:14pm On Jan 19, 2006
cushman:

God is the only creator of men and the entire universe. Cloning in general (to me) it's like competing with the Almighty. - God forbid!

Mark my words; very soon people will start thinking they are gods

competing with Almighty? what about creating rains, sending satellite. Cushman, u cant compete with God. You can only operate (and clone) within the space He's given you.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by layi(m): 10:46pm On Jan 19, 2006
Deji took the words out of my mouth fingers.

U can't compete wit GOD. Moreover Ps 82: 6 says we are gods. He gave us the ability. We are only acting out what he gave us. I'm not in support of cloning basically because we've not perfected the art yet. If we do now, frequent holocaust is inevitable.

Clone or zygote, human spirit would still enter it and make it her/him wink
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by luridguy(m): 9:23am On Jan 20, 2006
lets look at this if cloning does become a success lets look at the emotional risks a child grows up knowing her mother is her sister, her grandmother is her mother.  Her father is her brother-in-law. Every time her mother looks at her she is seeing herself growing up.  Unbearable emotional pressures on a teenager trying to establish his or her identity. What happens to a marriage when the "father" sees his wife's clone grow up into the exact replica (by appearance) of the beautiful 18 year old he fell in love with 35 years ago?  A sexual relationship would of course be with his wife's twin, no incest involved technically.  or

what would Hitler have done with cloning technology if available in the 1940s? There are powerful leaders in every generation who will seek to abuse this technology for their own purposes. Going ahead with cloning technology makes this far more likely. You cannot have so-called therapeutic cloning without reproductive cloning because the technique to make cloned babies is the same as to make a cloned embryo to try to make replacement tissues. And at the speed at which biotech is accelerating there will soon be other ways to get such cells
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by nferyn(m): 10:02am On Jan 20, 2006
luridguy:

[SNIP]
You cannot have so-called therapeutic cloning without reproductive cloning because the technique to make cloned babies is the same as to make a cloned embryo to try to make replacement tissues. And at the speed at which biotech is accelerating there will soon be other ways to get such cells
Not true, you can limit it's use to therapeutical needs.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dejiolowe: 10:11am On Jan 20, 2006
@luridguy you are just plain emotional. a clone is not you! when someone gets a new heart from transplant do u think he's the dead person that got donated the heart?

a clone is not your sister or brother or you. it is a f**king clone. EOD.

cloning has been more successful than flying planes. do u know how long it took before man could fly? like 500 years right from the time of da vinci.

i support cloning 100% and i can do it if i was a doctor or something like that. and cloning is not evolution. i support full human cloning and part cloning. i dream of days when someone could be sick and u just order for a new heart, skin, nose, leg, d**k, etc we would save lives. and if clones could be born from test tubes, good. at least, women wont go thru the pains of childbirth anymore.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dblock(m): 6:24am On Jan 21, 2006
It's wrong. Did you know a hair of hitler was kept in some lab what if some evil idiot clones that. Think about it Hitler in the 21st century
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dejiolowe: 9:55am On Jan 21, 2006
even if another hitler is cloned, he might be a pastor. your genes dont make u evil. u become evil from the ecounterers in this world...
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dblock(m): 10:30pm On Jan 21, 2006
So ur saying if I was cloned I might not be cool anymore. Ha Ha
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by layi(m): 5:32pm On Jan 22, 2006
Definitely. Our Character is to a large extent formed by our environment. A clone of a yoruba man in china will not be able to speak yoruba (automatically)
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by cushman(m): 5:49pm On Jan 22, 2006
@ Layi, why are you in full support of this cloning?
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by Typewriter(m): 11:07am On Jan 31, 2006
that's exactly what i want, if snazzy won't marry me
then i need her clones
somebody stop me!
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by layi(m): 1:20pm On Jan 31, 2006
cushman:

@ Layi, why are you in full support of this cloning?

Read the first post on this thread. I'm not in support of clonning. this however doesnt mean i should allow unfounded arguments just pass by unchecked. Clonning is not another you. Its just a semblance.
Re: Human Cloning: Right Or Wrong? by dejiolowe: 1:24pm On Jan 31, 2006
so where r we now? let's clone someone...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Darbur herbal Toothpaste's Dengerous Side Effect! / Does Leaking Mango Fruit After Drinking Soaked Garri Really Kill People? / COVID-19: Africa Records 200,000 Cases, 90,000 Recoveries & 5,400 Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.