Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,971 members, 7,810,692 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Reviewing Sweet Sixteen: What Bolaji Abdullahi Got Wrong - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Reviewing Sweet Sixteen: What Bolaji Abdullahi Got Wrong (519 Views)

Sweet Sixteen JAMB 2018 / What Is The Difference Between Reviewing A Book And Summarizing A Book? / Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reviewing Sweet Sixteen: What Bolaji Abdullahi Got Wrong by Johnakwehblog(m): 7:24pm On May 22, 2019
I can understand that some people do not see the female gender as vessels of intelligence and media of tutelage. To me, this is what Bolaji's Sweet Sixteen portrays.

A certain girl once sat with friends and exclaimed, 'The book is very interesting!' Quite. A lot of other girls like her who are ignorant of the feminine incubus in the present society will share likewise fantasies.

Over the years, women have been relegated to serve only in the kitchen and in the bedroom. Scores and scores of them are thought as dependent and controllable such that a man would never want to see his wife achieve the same Degree certificate with him. Milton would say: 'One tongue is enough for a woman.'

In Bolaji's literary work, only a man is sufficient to banter his daughter with indispensable life-directing tutorials, thus, arming her with an arsenal of thoughts that could change her life, career and destiny for the better. What about Mrs. Bello? Is teaching her daughter how to make tea all that she could proffer? Or is reading Cosmopolitans, which should be adult-rated, the best type of disposition Bolaji can sluice Aunty Molara with? If this means poor characterization, I had thought my latest book would take the award.

Honestly, I diametrically think women, too, have a plethora of advice to give their kids in terms of living better and fulfilling lives. Well, the controversial part is that the editor is a female. Why did she skip that?

Kudos to Bolaji for a first book. I hope to read more of his works.

Review by Akweh John Ven, Author of Either Way You're Dead.

Seun. Mynd44.

(1) (Reply)

I Can’t Justify Airline Seat Wrongly Picked — Wole Soyinka / Kimberly Part Four. / Altè Vibes: What Makes It So Cool!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.