Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,387 members, 7,815,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem (44559 Views)

See Why Honda Has More Ball Joint Failure / Hondas And Other Cars With Failed Ball Joint On The Roads (Photos) / Lasting Solution To Honda Ball Joint Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by maclatunji: 6:46am On May 23, 2019
“I have a 2005 Honda Accord that always gives this problem: The front wheels keep falling off. First the left front wheel fell off while turning left at an intersection. Then the right one fell off while traveling 80km/h on the express.

Fortunately for me, there was another driver behind me when it happened, and he flipped on his lights while I struggled to one sloppy area. Just some days ago again, the left front wheel fell off, while I was turning left at a roundabout. My question is, Why Are Honda Accords like this? My mechanics told me it’s a design flaw that causes the weight of the car resting on the lower ball joint at the wheels. Is this really true?”
The above question was asked in a blog post and really showed how frustrated the individual was after a few dangerous experiences. If you drive a Honda or know someone who does, have you also experienced this?

Honda and of course, Toyota are the most popular car brands in Nigeria if not throughout the world. Infact, it’s most likely that the one reading this article right now is a Honda
or Toyota vehicle owner.

Honda without doubt has its own premium
quality. However, there are issues it brings to its users which can really be annoy ing. The common one we will be mentioning here is the ball joint . F or instance , i t can just pull off unexpectedly on highways, roundabouts, or any where as accurately described in the rant above.

Generally, there are two factors that can make a car wheels to just fall off.

First is if they're not fixed properly (i.e the lug nuts are not tightened well or they're rather overtightened). This can cause the wheel bolts to break. Second is if the ball joints fail.

If the wheel nuts happen to be intensely overtightened, this stresses and in turn weakens the wheel bolts. One bolt snapping means the pressure is transferred to the others - four doing the work of five. Before you know it, one more bolt snaps and the rest’s failure will be so rapid.
Ball joints are a very crucial suspension component found in nearly all modern automobiles. The front ball joints let the front wheels and suspension move backwards and forwards and also up and down whenever you turn your steering wheel.

Should a ball joint fracture or snap, the wheel immediately becomes totally free to go any direction it feels. This, consequently, can damage the car’s tire, fender and other related suspension components. You, as a driver, however ought to have been noticing a few symptoms because they will surely have been displayed if you were alert enough.
Here are four things to look out for:

1. Abnormal Vibration Coming From the Front of the Vehicle

Worn out ball joints become insecure in their sockets and shake vigorously as the vehicle is in motion. This vibration normally comes from the worn out ball joint, either from the left side or right of the vehicle. Sometimes, you will also feel this shaking through your steering wheel.

2. Noises From the Front Suspension

Another common sign is the noise you’ll hear coming from the vehicle’s front suspension. These are the loose ball joints rattling and striking each other in the sockets as the suspension goes up and down over the road. These noises become louder with deeper damage of the ball joint or until they finally fail and give out.

3 Steering Wheel Meandering to the Right or Left
Another very obvious sign of damaged ball joints is when the steering starts to meander or wander. The steering wheel normally should move straight if the wheels are in proper alignment and the ball joints are in good condition. Worn out ball joints therefore will make the vehicle steering to be wandering on its own.

4. Uneven Wear on Front Tires
You will discover here that the edges of your front tires are wearing down faster than the other sides of the tire tread. This sign is a bit difficult to see but worn out ball joints are most likely a cause. Whenever you notice any of the above signs, take time also to take a careful look at your tires and the inner treads. The wearing will show on either the inner or outer tread depicting it’s as a result of worn-out front ball joints.

The cars mostly vulnerable to this are cars on which the tires have been rotated frequently, over a long period of time. And where the mechanic might have overtightened the lug nuts times without number.

So for your Honda, it is advisable you have a mechanic you trust check your wheel bolts, and make sure they're not stripped or distorted. If you notice any abnormal wear or weakness, replace immediately all of the bolts and wheel nuts on all four wheels. It is likely all the others too were overtightened and therefore stripped.
You can always get a replacement here at Motormata . Our online catalog features the full range of aftermarket parts and accessories for many years and car models, so you're sure to find just the right ball joints and other car parts you need for your Honda or any other vehicle brand.

It is also reasonable for you to have your front end examined carefully on a regular schedule so you can see any wear and tear before they cause unfortunate incidents which could easily have been avoided.

Read more here

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Nobody: 11:08am On May 23, 2019
Watching and smiling.

I did publish a solution to Honda Ball Joint wahala. For those that care, read it

Honda Civic of any model from 1990 does not have this ball joint wahala.

Also, this has been corrected in Accord models from 2009 and above.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Richdad50(m): 11:54am On May 23, 2019
shocked

All these long talk for an inferior car brand. It is better to own a 1999 Passat than a 2007 Honda Accord ( End of Discussion or continue)

Richdad

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by BEANSANDBREAD00(m): 11:54am On May 23, 2019
I always find it difficult to understand why people still buy honda vehicles especially the EOD series that is prone to ball joint issues
If you love honda save your money and buy evil spirit models 2011 and upwards

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Escodeb(m): 11:54am On May 23, 2019
When there is a solution to the ball joint problem mention me. With this your method I would be changing ball joints every 6 months

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Nobody: 11:54am On May 23, 2019
virigbenb:
quote]this 87 sex position wil make her want you every day

videos,diagrams and pictures below

CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEOS and pictures
die die

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by BEANSANDBREAD00(m): 11:54am On May 23, 2019
virigbenb:
quote]this 87 sex position wil make her want you every day

videos,diagrams and pictures below

CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEOS and pictures

b
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Nobody: 11:55am On May 23, 2019
se10p:
Honda that is no respecter of man
cheesy
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by morikee: 11:57am On May 23, 2019
+Come to think of this+
In Nigeria there is no light in NEPA office.

People doing Glo sim registration uses MTN modem.

Startimes boss uses DSTV in his house.

University VC kids are in abroad.

Our president uses foreign hospital
That's not all,

Some Pastors have Alfas working for them; some Alfas are actually babalawo who can read Quran ��

Chairman of Okada Riders Association drives the latest jeep

NEPA Offices gives out Generators as Prizes to their best staff and Customers.

50 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by twosquare(m): 11:58am On May 23, 2019
How to avoid Honda ball joint problem? It's simple: STOP BUYING HONDA

16 Likes

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by johnshagb(m): 11:59am On May 23, 2019
Observing
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Mcreloaded(m): 12:00pm On May 23, 2019
OP as this story long reach you no even fit mention SHAFT for any paragraph.

If you say you mention shaft the story go sweet as shaft is a normal thing with Honda products.

Go and re edit and use shaft multiply times so people will understand the whole ball and joint experience

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Kriely(m): 12:00pm On May 23, 2019
Abeg lemme leave this thread.

I don’t have a car yet angry
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Stick2joe(m): 12:01pm On May 23, 2019
[i][/i]I have a hoda accord for sale.2002
maclatunji:
“I have a 2005 Honda Accord that always gives this problem: The front wheels keep falling off. First the left front wheel fell off while turning left at an intersection. Then the right one fell off while traveling 80km/h on the express.

Fortunately for me, there was another driver behind me when it happened, and he flipped on his lights while I struggled to one sloppy area. Just some days ago again, the left front wheel fell off, while I was turning left at a roundabout. My question is, Why Are Honda Accords like this? My mechanics told me it’s a design flaw that causes the weight of the car resting on the lower ball joint at the wheels. Is this really true?”
The above question was asked in a blog post and really showed how frustrated the individual was after a few dangerous experiences. If you drive a Honda or know someone who does, have you also experienced this?

Honda and of course, Toyota are the most popular car brands in Nigeria if not throughout the world. Infact, it’s most likely that the one reading this article right now is a Honda
or Toyota vehicle owner.

Honda without doubt has its own premium
quality. However, there are issues it brings to its users which can really be annoy ing. The common one we will be mentioning here is the ball joint . F or instance , i t can just pull off unexpectedly on highways, roundabouts, or any where as accurately described in the rant above.

Generally, there are two factors that can make a car wheels to just fall off.

First is if they're not fixed properly (i.e the lug nuts are not tightened well or they're rather overtightened). This can cause the wheel bolts to break. Second is if the ball joints fail.

If the wheel nuts happen to be intensely overtightened, this stresses and in turn weakens the wheel bolts. One bolt snapping means the pressure is transferred to the others - four doing the work of five. Before you know it, one more bolt snaps and the rest’s failure will be so rapid.
Ball joints are a very crucial suspension component found in nearly all modern automobiles. The front ball joints let the front wheels and suspension move backwards and forwards and also up and down whenever you turn your steering wheel.

Should a ball joint fracture or snap, the wheel immediately becomes totally free to go any direction it feels. This, consequently, can damage the car’s tire, fender and other related suspension components. You, as a driver, however ought to have been noticing a few symptoms because they will surely have been displayed if you were alert enough.
Here are four things to look out for:

1. Abnormal Vibration Coming From the Front of the Vehicle

Worn out ball joints become insecure in their sockets and shake vigorously as the vehicle is in motion. This vibration normally comes from the worn out ball joint, either from the left side or right of the vehicle. Sometimes, you will also feel this shaking through your steering wheel.

2. Noises From the Front Suspension

Another common sign is the noise you’ll hear coming from the vehicle’s front suspension. These are the loose ball joints rattling and striking each other in the sockets as the suspension goes up and down over the road. These noises become louder with deeper damage of the ball joint or until they finally fail and give out.

3 Steering Wheel Meandering to the Right or Left
Another very obvious sign of damaged ball joints is when the steering starts to meander or wander. The steering wheel normally should move straight if the wheels are in proper alignment and the ball joints are in good condition. Worn out ball joints therefore will make the vehicle steering to be wandering on its own.

4. Uneven Wear on Front Tires
You will discover here that the edges of your front tires are wearing down faster than the other sides of the tire tread. This sign is a bit difficult to see but worn out ball joints are most likely a cause. Whenever you notice any of the above signs, take time also to take a careful look at your tires and the inner treads. The wearing will show on either the inner or outer tread depicting it’s as a result of worn-out front ball joints.

The cars mostly vulnerable to this are cars on which the tires have been rotated frequently, over a long period of time. And where the mechanic might have overtightened the lug nuts times without number.

So for your Honda, it is advisable you have a mechanic you trust check your wheel bolts, and make sure they're not stripped or distorted. If you notice any abnormal wear or weakness, replace immediately all of the bolts and wheel nuts on all four wheels. It is likely all the others too were overtightened and therefore stripped.
You can always get a replacement here at Motormata . Our online catalog features the full range of aftermarket parts and accessories for many years and car models, so you're sure to find just the right ball joints and other car parts you need for your Honda or any other vehicle brand.

It is also reasonable for you to have your front end examined carefully on a regular schedule so you can see any wear and tear before they cause unfortunate incidents which could easily have been avoided.

Read more here
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by calculus5: 12:01pm On May 23, 2019
Tell them, they are ignorant.
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by chan9ja: 12:01pm On May 23, 2019
honda eod be wan kill my enemy with this problem every now and then lol...i gats run leave the motor

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Jackpat(m): 12:02pm On May 23, 2019
The best solution is to stay away from Honda products. ..it is a no no for us in Nigeria cause of our dilapidated roads
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Keepmaster: 12:02pm On May 23, 2019
I just got a very fine Honda for Uber work oo. I no wan face ball joint palava oo
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Roydonzy87: 12:03pm On May 23, 2019
Nice write up , this is one of the reason i gave out my first car Honda baby boy to my sister, it makes me hate Honda with passion because of this suspension... Thanks anyway for this information
Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by timmilehin(m): 12:08pm On May 23, 2019
My EOD 05, never gave me this problem. i keep asking why??

13 Likes

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 23, 2019
Roydonzy87:
Nice write up , this is one of the reason i gave out my first car Honda baby boy to my sister, it makes me hate Honda with passion because of this suspension... Thanks anyway for this information

Do you love your Sister so? cheesy

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by Nobody: 12:14pm On May 23, 2019
between 2012 and 2014 I owned a 2003 Accord (End of discussion) I shuttle between Abuja and Calabar at least twice ayear , a distance of over 700km, driving through the bad roads of Ikom, Ogoja and some areas in Benue state, I never had this so called bow joint problem.

Yes the Compared to Toyota and Volkswagen the Honda wheels can look fragile , but the issue of shafts, bow joints and tie rod breaking or pulling

is common to most cars although different, these components usually give off a sign that all is not well, shafts makes noise when cornering,
with tie rods and bow joints there is excessive play in the front wheels.

Some Vehicle owners of Honda car who complain about these problems deliberately ignore the warning signs and blame the manufacturer while they re are at fault.

Through out the period I owned the accord, I have never been stranded on the road as a result of a bow joint problem.

i have seen owners of vw and toyota cars and suvs who were stranded because of torn shafts and broken bow joints a closer enquiry revealed prolong neglect of the warning signs by these owners.

Stop over flogging the issue, if you cant do necessary maintenance on a vehicle stick with a bike or keke. angry

48 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by biosilicon: 12:17pm On May 23, 2019
The Title is misleading. This problem is not particular to Honda cars.

3 Likes

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by buchulz: 12:19pm On May 23, 2019
If you want to know How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem, very simple, just get the genuine Honda part (from genuine Honda dealer or even order and ship the part from US) I use 3 Honda product, one has been with me for 15 years now.... when it first pulled after the first 5 years of use, I had this issue severally for almost 2 years after series of part replacement with parts obtained within the country until I got the genuine parts from US.... from then till now (more than 8 yrs now) this issue has been history.... I used to wonder why this ball joint issue so rampant in Nigeria??

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem by maclatunji: 12:20pm On May 23, 2019
Keepmaster:
I just got a very fine Honda for Uber work oo. I no wan face ball joint palava oo

Contact me on 08085404500 via WhatsApp for an opportunity to increase your earnings in this business. Hope you are in Lagos? Other Uber/Taxify drivers are welcome.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Of These Cars Is Best For Transport Business? / Lagos Style Of Vehicle Towing (Photos, Video) / What Is The Car With Biggest Trunk Space You Know?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.