Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? (2504 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by Nobody: 12:01am On May 05, 2007
My brothers and sisters,why is it that Nigerians migrate to the west and the same greedy lifestyle of Nigeria migrates with them
Why are Nigerians here always competing to see who has the latest benz,the biggest house or who can throw the biggest flashiest party.

What is wrong with our people?
How stupid is it for a man to buy a $600,000 home in Houston Texas ,a city where an average decent 4 bedroom home is $130,000,and he drives a Mercedes while madam drives a lexus SUV and madam has to work 3 jobs as a nurse to support this lavish lifestyle or the creditors would come knocking.

Go to Nigerian parties the women are like peacocks showing off their latest feathers.
What is wrong with Nigerians.
Why are all the conversations centered around money and material posessions,their mansions and their material goods.
What is wrong with our people?

Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by DisGuy: 12:14am On May 05, 2007
Nigerians and their nosey lifestyle tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by Nobody: 12:15am On May 05, 2007
Dis Guy:

Nigerians and their nosey lifestyle tongue

why you dey stalk me?
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by DisGuy: 12:21am On May 05, 2007
i no get better person stalk, na you i go come stalk abegi! sun sohun jo,

most Nigerians are very flashy people, like back home money = respect irrespective of how you get the money,
they will call you oga/chairman.
At the same time why is madam doing 3 jobs when oga is doing the buying?
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by Nobody: 12:24am On May 05, 2007
bia don't abuse me with Yoruba oh? you're still mad at me from the cousin thread e kwa?

madam is usually the horse in this arrangement.
She jumps from her night nurse occupation to home visits diring the day while oga brings home chicken change but talks the loudest.
That is the typical scenario.
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by naijacutee(f): 1:40am On May 05, 2007
Probably because money earns you respect in Nigeria. And people will do anything to earn that respect. I don't know what to blame this on. . . Poverty (Or the fear of it) perhaps?
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by Ndipe(m): 3:05am On May 05, 2007
Who are you to dictate the lifestyles of Nigerians abroad? Are you the one working 3 jobs, paying their mortgage, or paying for their lexus? It is none of your business, if our people choose to live an extravagant lifestyle, in the name of keeping up with the Joneses. Unlike some other guy who is bragging that his friends are always asking him for money, I am certain that most, if not all of those people have not asked your to deposit some money into their account. While modesty should be embraced, who am I to dictate another person's lifestyle?
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by Nobody: 3:10am On May 05, 2007
Ndipe:

Who are you to dictate the lifestyles of Nigerians abroad? Are you the one working 3 jobs, paying their mortgage, or paying for their lexus? It is none of your business, if our people choose to live an extravagant lifestyle, in the name of keeping up with the Joneses. Unlike some other guy who is bragging that his friends are always asking him for money, I am certain that most, if not all of those people have not asked your to deposit some money into their account. While modesty should be embraced, who am I to dictate another person's lifestyle?

did my description fit anyone?
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by Nobody: 3:15am On May 05, 2007
And by the way to answer your question,yes,I have lent money a few times to people that had more material possessions than myself and no savings.
people who I thought were flowing in money.

I am not envious of them by any means
I have no reason to be,thank God.

But when a man lives in a million dollar house and the guests and family are freezing in winter because he can't afford the heating bill to heat up a 5,000 square foot house,it ain't pretty.
He simply cannot afford a house that big.
Or when you have to roast in summer in a mansion,you need a smaller house that can be cooled to your comfort,that's just pure commonsense
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by Ndipe(m): 5:05am On May 05, 2007
It is common sense to live according your means, but arent you just supporting this false lifestyle of your associates by lending them money, while they live above and beyond their means?
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by TCUBE(m): 8:19am On May 05, 2007
I live in dallas tx. am a nigerian.Amm not poor but i sure do know who to cut my cloth according to my size./Thats the way people live in america yall .Its not a nigerian thnag .dont get it twisted !!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad And Their Lavish Show-off Lifestyle,why? by WesleyanA(f): 4:36pm On May 05, 2007
i don't think it's a "Nigerian thing" either.

i know many nigerian families living according to their means and some who don't. this definitely goes for people of other creed, origins too.

some people believe in spending whatever money they have. they work hard 3 jobs etc why not throw big bashes etc
while others believe in moderation.
and there are others who work really hard but never spend money. dress raggedy and are cheap.

so whatever float ones boat, i guess. but sometimes a moderate person will not understand while others are being so lavish
while the wastrel will never understand the miser.

i personally believe in moderation, i can never understand people who live the whole show-off lifestyle. but i understand it a little bit though. They crave attention it seems. but that's just an assumption.

(1) (Reply)

10 Of The Most Dangerous Cities Never To Travel To / In United States Of America, This Is How Blacks Are Seen / Canada Federal Skilled Worker Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.