Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,710 members, 7,827,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) (38826 Views)

See This Beautiful Piece Of Art Created By Smashing Glass To Pieces / Swiss Artist Creates Amazing Portraits By Smashing Glass To Pieces / Dotun Popoola Creates 'Dog And Chicken' From Scrap Materials (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 8:51am On May 27, 2019
AbleGod32123:

Oyinbo ppl has come for him several time but d guy insisted he will rather stay here in Ife than going to live in abroad. He has visited many countries though
ok
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Genlebrave(m): 9:03am On May 27, 2019
tydi:

Your signature just spoke my mind, better don't go with the latter cus only one with ardent madness would buy those piece for 3M just to stare at it or for decoration with no productivity from it.
Have a blissful monday

Hmmm... Don't u know that just like land, art is also an asset that iys value rises in respect with time.
Just that in this part it is less valued.
I wish he goes to where he would be celebrated more plus cashing in...
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Orpe7(m): 9:06am On May 27, 2019
Dont let those maloo cart pushers see this o
Dem go steal am go sell am
Sharperly grin
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by akevic: 9:34am On May 27, 2019
Lord I need your GRACE
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by MetaPhysical: 9:34am On May 27, 2019
tydi:

Your signature just spoke my mind, better don't go with the latter cus only one with ardent madness would buy those piece for 3M just to stare at it or for decoration with no productivity from it.
Have a blissful monday

Your statement will be truthful about such arts as Van Gogh, very abstract and flat, it diffuses the mind! Beside color there is nothing meaningful in them, yet they sell for millions of dollars.

In contrast, Popoola's arts blend with depth into the spatial vectors, plus they center the mind....what is loosely called "eye candy". They are not sacred....but are symmetrically appealing. These arts are cheap at 3 million naira.

1 Like

Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by 3rdeyeNigeria: 9:36am On May 27, 2019
tydi:

Have a blissful monday

They are some painting, just painting o that are worth more than 100 million dollars.. Not naira..

Talkless of just 3M that is not up 100,000 dollars.

Leave art for art lovers.

1 Like

Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by MetaPhysical: 9:38am On May 27, 2019
akevic:
Lord I need your GRACE

Amen! Me too!! grin
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Burchester: 9:45am On May 27, 2019
Amazing
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by luluman: 10:12am On May 27, 2019
tendingNews:
One man's junk is another's treasure - meet the Nigerian sculptor turning metal scraps to pieces of art.

Here is Dotun Popoola, a Nigerian man from Ile Ife who is making waves with his artworks from metal scraps.

Al Jazeera English features him.

He wrote:

"I looked at my self in the mirror and tears rolled down from my eyes, not because i received award, but i remember how i started this ART in Agege 1986 as a kid , sketching on our landlords new Mercedes Benz with sharp nails, cutting my dads leather chairs with charp razor blades, all these has put me in troubles, but now i am an artist with special GRACE.

I listen to Mr @oliverenwonwu read my citation for 8minutes and i couldn't believe he was talking about me, could that be me? i think he was reading the story of a man with special GRACE.

I looked at my wife's face @adeolacakes and i saw the joy on her face for saying yes to me seven years ago when i didnt even look like a man that could take her arround the world, i think she is married to a man full of special GRACE.

I remembered how i use to carry my art work inside Yellow bus(molue), from Abule Egba, looking for who will buy on Island, and sometimes i would end up selling it cheaper just to get transport back home, but now only selected few who are well feed�� can afford it, i think you are buying a work of a man with special GRACE.

Key into the GRACE of God and your story will change shortly. Abeg let me go and Weld jare..... where is my apron�, this TUX is giving me heat."

Watch his Al Jazeera video

Source: http://www.thefamousnaija.com/2019/05/biography-of-dotun-popoola-meet.html?m=1
INA OUR BROTHER. I told the yellow heads that creativity cuts across Nigeria but they said only them are creative.
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Darevofpeace(m): 10:27am On May 27, 2019
tydi:
shocked

In pictures everything looks fine and beautiful but in reality you might not want to waste your money on such frivolities..

And I ask of what use will it be to the common man..
Been a carpenter could have paid that guy the more.
Have you discovered your passion? You did typed rubbish here.
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by fkj950ax(m): 11:09am On May 27, 2019
abdelrahman:
Oyinbo people will soon carry am soon from this useless shit called Nigeria

Nope, He has traveled extensively and even honed his art in the US before becoming the maestro he is today. He speaks at forums all over the world, participates at exhibits everywhere. If he lives Nigeria, it's his decision and not because "oyinbo" people came for him
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by danthamccoy(m): 11:15am On May 27, 2019
tydi:

Have a blissful monday
Lmao. You know nothing, Jon Snow. I love the way you're confidently spewing ignorance. Keep it up bro.
The problem with Nigerians is that they think everybody is on their level. Dotun is in a niche market. It is not for everyone.
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by tydi(m): 11:27am On May 27, 2019
danthamccoy:

Lmao. You know nothing, Jon Snow. I love the way you're confidently spewing ignorance. Keep it up bro.
The problem with Nigerians is that they think everybody is on their level. Dotun is in a niche market. It is not for everyone.

What do you know.. Abeg shift.. You're noticed
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Spechialone(f): 11:35am On May 27, 2019
I'm awed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by saddeeqrunka(m): 2:58pm On May 27, 2019
Wow! thats really a great talent! Keep it up!!!
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Whino(m): 3:08pm On May 27, 2019
Mad creativity... Impressive
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 27, 2019
Good one indeed.
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by jayextra(m): 7:55pm On May 27, 2019
justtruth88miSt:

u r in a severe pain... serious one oooo
How can i be 'in a' severe pain grin grin

C'mon man,are u this dumb??
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by MetaPhysical: 9:25pm On May 27, 2019
Spechialone:
I'm awed

...with me, or with the sculptor? grin
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by MetaPhysical: 9:52pm On May 27, 2019
How US treats his works vs how Nigeria treats it.

Visual artist Dotun Popoola has expressed anger at the state of a sculpture he created 10 years ago as his final year school project at the Obafemi Olowowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State. The sculpture is a 15ft portrait of Prof Wole Soyinka, which is erected on the ridge of the recently-opened Wole Soyinka Museum at Ile-Ife. The artist said the piece was originally placed on three books that represent poetry, prose and drama, which gave Soyinka his Nobel Laureate Prize. The intellectual aspect of the artwork is damaged, he said at a press conference in Lagos.
Popoola said he had no problem that the sculpture had been taken to the museum, but that the front of the piece was removed, his signature and the date of execution cut off.

Nigeria get problem, and it doesnt care to fix it. mmtccheew

Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Spechialone(f): 10:47pm On May 27, 2019
MetaPhysical:

...with me, or with the sculptor? grin
Oh phuleeeese! the sculptor of course...sowi for the quote...lol
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by MetaPhysical: 11:06pm On May 29, 2019
Spechialone:

Oh phuleeeese! the sculptor of course...sowi for the quote...lol

sad sad im not your friend again. cry
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Spechialone(f): 12:31am On May 30, 2019
MetaPhysical:

sad sad im not your friend again. cry
Awwwwwwwn! ayam sowi, be vexed not.
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by MetaPhysical: 2:05am On May 30, 2019
Spechialone:

Awwwwwwwn! ayam sowi, be vexed not.

grin grin oya buy one of these sculpted works for me to appease my anger.

This Dotun guy got some talent, does he not?
Re: Meet Dotun Popoola Who Turns Metal Scraps To Pieces Of Art (Photos, Video) by Spechialone(f): 7:56am On May 30, 2019
MetaPhysical:

grin grin oya buy one of these sculpted works for me to appease my anger. Ok, you can go take the piece on Soyinka...
This Dotun guy got some talent, does he not?
Affirmative

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

V_ray Forum / Meet Anthony Ezeanyika Chibuzor, The Currency Artist (Photos) / Artist, Oresegun Olumide Wedding Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.