Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Weight Of Expectation In Naija Muzic Scene - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Weight Of Expectation In Naija Muzic Scene (678 Views)

I Ned Help ...downloading Muzic / Illwill Presents Mixtape Muzic Part Ii Ft Mischiff,g-10,cashino (ndt),teeto,etc / Faze's Contract With Convict Muzic. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Weight Of Expectation In Naija Muzic Scene by yoji: 10:33am On Sep 28, 2010
it has now been established that no naija artist can ever match d expectations of d public for a follow up album to a successful debut OR match d expections of a highly anticipated debut. Its like once u have lost d element of surprise then u r doomed regardless of d quality of d album. Its almost as if once ur name is out there, d only thing d public craves is ur failure. Take 9ice for example, tradition for me is just as good as his debut. And can match it track for track, but since he was already a naija superstar, d public were just not interested full stop. Psquare also suffered from this alarming trend. Agreed danger was not a classic afterall how many classics are out there but track for track d album is worth listenin to by their style. Even till today after d unanimous failure given to the album, its tracks still litter d airwaves and club scenes. Bottomline d album was ok. Sauce kid was also a victim of this trend. Infact his was a case of damned no matter wat he did. To me his last album was ok. Sauce to me is a bling bling rapper wit sprinkles of so called gangsterism akin to 50 cent so wat he dropped was exactly wat I expected. But heavy expectation doomed him. He had a few commercial tracks to sell d album but stayed true to his elements on tracks like distribution and around here. He fell into a trap set by mi which was finding a successful middle ground. Jesse jagz has also been a victim of this trend. Walahi if jack of all trades was an unknown artist's debut, he wud have been very successfull and probably named the naija kanye west. But as usual unrealistic expectations doomed d album plus I also blame choc city for marketing him as d next best rapper when his prior singles had plenty of singing. Persnally I loved his album cos of d beats and cos its so easy to listen to. I hear mi want to quit music, he better does so cos after his sucess, there is nothing he can do wit his follow up album to match! Naeto c should also be carefull. Only mode 9 and maybe dbanj seem to be immune to this trend.
Re: Weight Of Expectation In Naija Muzic Scene by poweredcom(m): 3:27am On Oct 04, 2010
well said ooo, but i dont think sauce kid is near a gangster rapper , Ok mind dat

(1) (Reply)

Super Lupe Rap N Other New Tracks From Lupe Fiasco / Any Trance Music Lover In The House? Share Ur Favorites Wt Me, Here Are My Favs! / Follow Up Pastor Chris Live Online: Receive Words From Him Now:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.