Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,258 members, 7,818,883 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times (17685 Views)

Divine Oduduru Disqualified From IAAF World Championships / Missing Funds: Solomon Dalung Dares IAAF, No Commitment To Repay / IAAF Confirms Date For 2018 Okpekpe Road Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by fergie001: 1:39pm On May 30, 2019
The apprehension among Nigerians that the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) will ban the country has been quelled for now.

The IAAF recently gave a two-week deadline to Nigeria to refund monies overpaid its affiliate body in the country, the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), two years ago.

On the eve of the expiration of that deadline, there was a shocking twist as the outgoing sports minister, Solomon Dalung, openly took a swipe at the world athletics body; accusing them of blackmail.

Mr Dalung unequivocally declared that the IAAF had no right to ban Nigeria while also faulting why it took almost two months before the athletics body came out to say they made a mistake in a transaction they had confirmed.

“I smell rat in the whole thing and I believe that the whole thing has been orchestrated in an attempt to blackmail Nigeria,” the minister told journalists at Saturday’s race in Okpekpe.

He continued: “Even when we went into it, we were not even convinced what the mistake was, is it a mistake of Nigeria or that of IAAF?

“When did they realise they made a mistake when the transaction was confirmed? I made a mistake in transferring money… I realised within 10 minutes and I called my bank and I retrieved the money. Why did it take IAAF two months to realise a mistake? An international organization, highly reputable?”

However, Nicole Jeffery, Head of Communications of the IAAF, sent a statement to PREMIUM TIMES revealing that Mr Dalung on his final day in office, on Tuesday, had fresh talks with the IAAF President Sebastian Coe and an amicable solution has now been reached

“The IAAF can confirm that the Honourable Solomon Dalung, Minister for Sport in Nigeria, and IAAF President, Sebastian Coe spoke by telephone yesterday evening to discuss the overdue payment of the funds that were mistakenly paid by the IAAF to the Athletics Federation of Nigeria.

“An amicable resolution has been reached and the matter will be settled very soon. The IAAF would like to thank Minister Dalung for his assurances and continued interest in the sport of Athletics,” the statement from the IAAF read.

After three and a half years, Mr Dalung’s reign ended as the Minister for Youth and Sports Tuesday.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/332436-nigeria-escapes-iaaf-ban-as-dalung-makes-u-turn-over-federations-130000

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by hisexcellency34: 1:57pm On May 30, 2019
Dalung has spend-ed the money. I'm sure Jubril will retain him as Minister

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by iornenge81(m): 1:57pm On May 30, 2019
Ok, this is yahoo plus at work

3 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by lilfreezy: 1:57pm On May 30, 2019
Oga wanted to SPENDED the money grin

18 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Smile4daddy(m): 1:58pm On May 30, 2019
wink
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by iamawara(m): 1:58pm On May 30, 2019
The problem is ... Where is the money

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Automatic3444(m): 1:59pm On May 30, 2019
grin
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by richieray: 2:00pm On May 30, 2019
Dalung wan do small yahoo,the fear of Efcc no let am

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Smile4daddy(m): 2:00pm On May 30, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Dalunh has spend-ed the money. I'm sure Jubril will retain him as Minister
Yes as Jubril tenure will end 2013 and Buhari will take over
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by pkang: 2:00pm On May 30, 2019
It is not always good to be keeping silence on some issues.
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by ibkayee(f): 2:02pm On May 30, 2019
Lool someone said maybe it’s part of the reparations to Africa.

But this is embarrassing, the money has obviously been spent cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Pavore9: 2:02pm On May 30, 2019
Yeye dey smell, was he not forming boss? angry

2 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by parzdor(m): 2:02pm On May 30, 2019
Last last
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by semyman: 2:03pm On May 30, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Dalung has spend-ed the money. I'm sure Jubril will retain him as Minister
NECO

3 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Oche211(m): 2:03pm On May 30, 2019
Dalung didn't deny any overpayment from the statements above.
He only spoke on the fact that they discovered it late (two months later).
That does not invalidated the fact if there's actually an overpayment.

4 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by DrTonitee(m): 2:03pm On May 30, 2019
One of the biggest achievement of PMB 2nd tenure will be this man not returning back as minister of anything...

6 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Adeife05(m): 2:03pm On May 30, 2019
Solomon Dalung Really Messed Up Big Time. EFCC No go see all dis ones now Oooo.

2 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 30, 2019
I though he was forming Boss Before..

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by BruncleZuma: 2:05pm On May 30, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Teewhy2: 2:06pm On May 30, 2019
Nigeria is mostly associated with money scam abroad, even though the other party is guilty but immediately Nigeria name is involve automatically people take it that they are the one that carried out the scam.
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Sleevia: 2:07pm On May 30, 2019
Bloody thief.

It does not erase the disgrace he has brought us by delaying.

1 Like

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by RZArecta2(m): 2:07pm On May 30, 2019
Dalung is among the idîots the Daûra dûllard took six months to appoint as minister cool

1 Like

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 30, 2019
Dalung is a face to face yahoo boy. Simple.
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 30, 2019
Village people and EFCC dey look Dalung like....

2 Likes

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by Drekaz(m): 2:20pm On May 30, 2019
'Spended' actually..
Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by megareal: 2:27pm On May 30, 2019
Let Dalung swear he didn't realize the over payment. He probably was happy at the awoof. Now him belle dey run.

1 Like

Re: Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times by wink2015(m): 2:35pm On May 30, 2019
fergie001:
The apprehension among Nigerians that the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) will ban the country has been quelled for now.

The IAAF recently gave a two-week deadline to Nigeria to refund monies overpaid its affiliate body in the country, the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), two years ago.

On the eve of the expiration of that deadline, there was a shocking twist as the outgoing sports minister, Solomon Dalung, openly took a swipe at the world athletics body; accusing them of blackmail.

Mr Dalung unequivocally declared that the IAAF had no right to ban Nigeria while also faulting why it took almost two months before the athletics body came out to say they made a mistake in a transaction they had confirmed.

“I smell rat in the whole thing and I believe that the whole thing has been orchestrated in an attempt to blackmail Nigeria,” the minister told journalists at Saturday’s race in Okpekpe.

He continued: “Even when we went into it, we were not even convinced what the mistake was, is it a mistake of Nigeria or that of IAAF?

“When did they realise they made a mistake when the transaction was confirmed? I made a mistake in transferring money… I realised within 10 minutes and I called my bank and I retrieved the money. Why did it take IAAF two months to realise a mistake? An international organization, highly reputable?”

However, Nicole Jeffery, Head of Communications of the IAAF, sent a statement to PREMIUM TIMES revealing that Mr Dalung on his final day in office, on Tuesday, had fresh talks with the IAAF President Sebastian Coe and an amicable solution has now been reached

“The IAAF can confirm that the Honourable Solomon Dalung, Minister for Sport in Nigeria, and IAAF President, Sebastian Coe spoke by telephone yesterday evening to discuss the overdue payment of the funds that were mistakenly paid by the IAAF to the Athletics Federation of Nigeria.

“An amicable resolution has been reached and the matter will be settled very soon. The IAAF would like to thank Minister Dalung for his assurances and continued interest in the sport of Athletics,” the statement from the IAAF read.

After three and a half years, Mr Dalung’s reign ended as the Minister for Youth and Sports Tuesday.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/332436-nigeria-escapes-iaaf-ban-as-dalung-makes-u-turn-over-federations-130000

CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA is an academy.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Manuel Neuer Equals Oliver Khan's Record Of Most Clean Sheets / Gloria Kemasuode Roaming The Street 'Mad'. Mentally Sick. AFN Intervenes / Osimhen: Italian Police Probe Serie A Transfers, Juventus In The Spotlight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.