Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,369 members, 7,815,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

10 Amazing Books Every Engineering Student Should Read - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Amazing Books Every Engineering Student Should Read (334 Views)

Sylvia Nduaguba Chinwedu, IMSU Best Graduating Mechanical Engineering Student / Sex For Mark: "OAU Female Student Should Stop Playing The Victim" - Man Says / These 5 Amazing Books Will Change Your Life Forever (they Are A Must Read) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Amazing Books Every Engineering Student Should Read by Booktree: 2:56pm On Jun 02, 2019
Here is a list of 10 amazing books every engineering student should read. This books will make you a better engineer as you take on the engineering Course

1.The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People— Stephen Covey
This has to be one of the best books I have ever purchased. I try to read it at least once per year, because it really is that good.

This book gives you an excellent framework for the way to approach your career like a world-class individual.

The tips in this book are simple, open-ended, and easy to follow, but are the kind of things you wish you would do all the time, but don’t. Just as the most important things in life you likely learned in Kindergarten, this book lays it out simply, straight-forward, and challenges you to revisit the basics. If you want to become better than your peers, you just need to master the basics, and everything else will follow.

Just as in an engineering degree, the things you learn in your first 2 years are fundamental building blocks to the things you learn in your last 2 years. Ultimately, if you can master the basics, the really complex systems can easily be broken down. If you fail to master the basics, it’s an uphill battle.

I read this book at least once per year to revisit these important lessons, and to continually build my framework for approaching problems.

2. The Four Hour Chef — Tim Ferriss

The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Any Skill & Living the Good Life
As an engineering student, your brain likely works in the same way mine does — analytical, detailed, pattern-oriented, logical — and this book is as if someone wrote a cookbook for engineers (although that does exist). Tim takes something quite complicated and mysterious, and breaks it down into manageable, bite-sized steps.

For engineers, this process of taking the complicated and making it manageable, is something you will do daily, in all aspects of your life. I have somehow figured out a way to optimize my morning routine through this very thought process.

But more than that, this book outlines some key frameworks for thinking about structuring complicated problems, and optimizing learning of new and difficult concepts. He applies this particularly to food, but his techniques apply to anything.

If you’re going to be an engineering student, which likely leads you to being an engineer for the next 30+ years of your life, you had best learn to cook. It is easier than multi-body dynamics, and as quick to learn as any physics concept. Learning to feed yourself, properly, and doing so 2–3 times per day will not only make you a better cook, it will make you a better engineer.

In my second year, the wheels fell off. I wasn’t eating properly, I was stressed out, I stayed up late doing nothing of importance, and my grades started to suffer. More than that, I felt physically, emotionally, and mentally ill. I decided to make a change.

I did two things: eat 3 good meals per day, and get at least 7 hours of sleep per night (I aimed for 8, but having some breathing room is important).

If you aren’t eating, sleeping, and taking care of your body properly, your grades will suffer.

So the solution? Learn to cook. It’s cheaper, healthier, fun, and gives you a worthwhile break from all that studying, while teaching you a new set of skills.

I cannot recommend buying this book highly enough — everything from snacks to dinner parties, it has you covered. Only want to eat the same 3 things everyday? Perfect, it will teach you how to make those things in 30 minutes or less.

When you approach any difficult problem, you have a framework of previous experience, problem solving techniques, and information that would be useful given to you. Why not approach cooking the same way?

3. Zero to One — Peter Thiel

This is the more important book on start-ups, economics, business design, and the future of tech that has ever been written.

This book fundamentally changed the way I think about business. That isn’t to say you shouldn’t read the vast enormity of business books out there (because you really should), I am just saying that if you ever are considering going into business for yourself, as an entrepreneur or otherwise, you should read this book.

Andrew Yang, founder of Venture for America, wrote a book called “Smart People Should Build Things”, which I have linked below. I think it is a good accompaniment to Zero to One, and do fundamentally believe that if you have the skills to create something new, you should.

More so, we talk often about the two fundamental concepts in productivity: efficiency and effectiveness. You are efficient if you “do things right”, but you are effective if you “do the right things”. Zero to One is all about doing the right things.

Don’t know whether your idea is actually a game-changer, or if it’s just noise to the signal? Read this book and find out.

4. Engineer to Win — Caroll Smith
Caroll Smith is legendary in the high-performance racing (Formula 1) community, and has written half-a-dozen books on the topic. This one in particular I find super interesting.

If you’re a Mechanical, Aerospace, Mechatronics, Systems, or Materials engineering student, this will be doubly applicable given the nature of the research, but it is still relevant for any discipline. The commitment to performance at a world-class level is clearly demonstrated, and in particular this book talks about the process of engineering world-class results.

If you’re serious about becoming a world-class engineer, this is a must-read. It will not only teach you a lot about racecar design, which has applications to many other fields, but how to engineer systems at a game-changing, world-class level, and what is involved in that process

Click on the link below for the remaining books and to get free audiobooks

https://booktree.ng/10-amazing-books-every-engineering-student-should-read/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Types Of Technical Training / Federal University Oye-ekiti (FUOYE) Cut Off Marks For 2019/2020 / Does Alcohol Make Dementia Worse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.