Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Bidding Software - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Bidding Software (1600 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bidding Software by medube(m): 1:05pm On Jan 16, 2006
Hi all,

Do any of you gurus here have any information of any good bidding software? Im working on a website like Ebay where people will get to buy and sell items with bidding facilities included.

All suggestions are highly welcomed.
Re: Bidding Software by demmy(m): 1:11pm On Jan 16, 2006
I'm not aware of any such software, I have a feeling you'll have to do some heavy coding. CSS and Javascript and that new buzzword AJAX. Anyone?
Re: Bidding Software by c0dec(m): 5:42pm On Jan 16, 2006
nah. program it yourself.
Re: Bidding Software by Cactus(m): 12:00am On Jan 17, 2006
the good thing is that if you know what you are looking for you will definitely find it somewhere online

check this out

http://www.auctiva.com/
Re: Bidding Software by layi(m): 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2006
Even if u get a software, u'll still have to work on it (customize to fit ur site perfectly). My advise is to contact developers to help program ur website for that purpose.
Re: Bidding Software by mochafella(m): 2:36am On Jan 21, 2006
All depends on what you are looking for, I doubt you will find off-the-shelf software that will help you set up a site like ebay from scratch. You'll need to code some parts and tie together other software to handle different tasks.

However if you are just looking for "seller" software to help you sell and manage your listings on auction sites, you'll find that.
Re: Bidding Software by sbucareer(f): 5:41am On Mar 12, 2006

Ok, let look at it this way in an auction, we basically have many people bidding for one item or several items. In a period of an item life cycle we must know who and history of the bidders.

Time is very important in this application. For a period of time an item is advertised we need to elect a leader/chair person that is in-charge of the bid. We need to employ many leader/chair person (Array) in programming.

The leader/chair keeps record of the item and highest price against it and details of the bidder i.e. name and telephone so we can contact the person if they win.

You also need to retire the leader after two minutes or so if no bid is placed (This will cut down on the power of processing and limit server intensive resource) when a bid is place we can wake up the leader/chair person, note we do not need to wake the same leader/chairperson, we simply ask the Array to give use a primary key of a bider and assign it to any leader. Yes, you have noticed we need a database.

In my opinion J2EE/.NET is the best reference implementation as it allows object persistent and RMI.

Re: Bidding Software by skima(m): 3:05pm On Mar 12, 2006
This is an insight for you to know what to develop, 

As said earlier,  you can handle it with J2EE/.NET or PHP.

since u know what to achieve then achieving it is less stressfull.

what u should do is to explore ebay site more,  then figure out more feature to employ,

There is an open-source of the web-ware. phpauction if u have fantastico on your site,  then u can install it with clicks on your Cpanel.

Short description: The GPL version of PHPauction featuring email notification of bids, attachments, reserve price, minimum bids, standard and dutch auctions, bid history, send auction to a friend, highest bids, auctions ending soon.
Homepage: http://www.phpauction.org/

Note: needs customization.

and if u will like to build it from scratch,  i can help with that.(PHP)
Re: Bidding Software by idiot(m): 4:07am On Mar 18, 2006
if you can write it all in c, it would be easy to have html wrappers around the actual web interface. It really doesn't matter your development platform, it just has to support databases pretty well. Ultimately, you need to fully spec out what you want your system to accomplish. It seems like you are just blindly looking for an auction program. . . and even if you found one. . . it would be useless to you until you defined what you wanted to do.

(1) (Reply)

Who Knows Phone Programming? / How Can I Create A Listed Link Using Foreachloop In Php? / Where To Learn Software Development And Engineering In Abuja On Part Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.