Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,810 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth (18538 Views)

Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction / Why Do Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction? / Beware Of Fake "Dentistry Course Or Dentists". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Dentalgist: 9:35am On Jun 06, 2019
We normally don’t think of our teeth as particularly interesting things. They exist to give us a nice smile and help us chew our food. Other than that, there doesn’t seem to be anything too unique or special about them. But, in reality, there’s are a lot about teeth and dentistry, in general, that is actually rather interesting. Here are eight interesting facts about teeth and dentists.

1. Ancient dental implants go back as far as 600 AD. Pieces of shell were hammered into the jaws of Mayan women and made to look like human teeth. Today’s versions of dental implants, thankfully, are not as out there as that.

2. The hardest substance existing in the human body is tooth enamel. Reportedly, tooth enamel is harder than steel, but can break more easily.

3. One in four adults don’t brush their teeth every day, as recommended. The average person brushes their teeth between 45 to 70 seconds, rather than two minutes. In their lifetime, the average American will spend 38.5 days brushing their teeth.

4. The average human has 32 teeth. Dogs have 42, cats have 30 and an armadillo has 104 teeth. Giraffes do not have any top teeth. A snail’s mouth may be smaller than a pin’s head, but it can have as much as 25,000 teeth.

5. The earliest dentist was known as Hesi-Re from Egypt. He lived over 5,000 years ago. The first official female dentist lived in 1866 and her name was Lucy Beaman Hobbs. The first dental hygienist was a woman named Irene Newman in 1905.

6. Contrary to popular myth, the first President George Washington never had wooden teeth. His dentures were made from ivory, gold, and other human teeth. The dentures were apparently very uncomfortable and made Washington extremely self-conscious, causing his lower lip to jut out unnaturally. Dentists weren’t very popular back then, so teeth falling out and needing to be replaced was common.

7. The modern version of toothpaste has only existed for about 100 years. In Ancient Greece, they used coral powder, alabaster, talc, pumice and even iron rust as toothpaste.

8. What hand you write with will typically determine what side you chew your food on. If you’re right handed, you’ll more than likely chew on the right side of your mouth. If you’re left handed, you will chew on the left side.

https://dentalgist.ng/8-interesting-facts-about-dentists-and-teeth

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by captainbell: 1:13pm On Jun 06, 2019
Funny
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Hardeydohtun: 1:13pm On Jun 06, 2019
Okay o
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by freemanbubble: 1:13pm On Jun 06, 2019
Okay
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Kayouzka(m): 1:14pm On Jun 06, 2019
brush your teeth twice

check my signature for property at Ikorodu Lagos
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Carlos122(m): 1:15pm On Jun 06, 2019
Taking care of your dental health is great. One reason most people avoid dental care is because they are afraid of dentists. This article explains how to overcome dental anxiety.

https://www.youmustgethealthy.com/2019/05/overcome-dental-anxiety-5-effective-steps-work.html
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by kennybelle: 1:16pm On Jun 06, 2019
The 'writing fact' is so true!

I don't chew on my right teeth, until my left teeth hurt

3 Likes

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Songsing: 1:18pm On Jun 06, 2019
What time is it

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Raydos: 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2019
B
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by OgbanjeProphet: 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2019
Number 8 is not totally correct. I am right handed, but enjoy my chewing with the left side of my teeth.

5 Likes

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Psoul(m): 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2019
Snail....more than 25,000 teeth?
Ok....that must be mini micro-microscopic teeth.
Even Microscope will be struggling to see the teeth.

11 Likes

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Oodja: 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2019
This no 8 be like say na truth o. But person wey no get hand nko?
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Opinionated: 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2019
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Omonoba1: 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2019
Interesting!
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by EddieCAD(m): 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2019
Fact #4 undecided
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by CANlBUS(m): 1:23pm On Jun 06, 2019
Real men chew on the right,Ibime chew on the left
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by MJBOLT: 1:24pm On Jun 06, 2019
how is it harder than steel when it can break easily

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by salt1: 1:28pm On Jun 06, 2019
Dentalgist:
We normally don’t think of our teeth as particularly interesting things. They exist to give us a nice smile and help us chew our food. Other than that, there doesn’t seem to be anything too unique or special about them. But, in reality, there’s are a lot about teeth and dentistry, in general, that is actually rather interesting. Here are eight interesting facts about teeth and dentists.

1. Ancient dental implants go back as far as 600 AD. Pieces of shell were hammered into the jaws of Mayan women and made to look like human teeth. Today’s versions of dental implants, thankfully, are not as out there as that.

2. The hardest substance existing in the human body is tooth enamel. Reportedly, tooth enamel is harder than steel, but can break more easily.

3. One in four adults don’t brush their teeth every day, as recommended. The average person brushes their teeth between 45 to 70 seconds, rather than two minutes. In their lifetime, the average American will spend 38.5 days brushing their teeth.

4. The average human has 32 teeth. Dogs have 42, cats have 30 and an armadillo has 104 teeth. Giraffes do not have any top teeth. A snail’s mouth may be smaller than a pin’s head, but it can have as much as 25,000 teeth.

5. The earliest dentist was known as Hesi-Re from Egypt. He lived over 5,000 years ago. The first official female dentist lived in 1866 and her name was Lucy Beaman Hobbs. The first dental hygienist was a woman named Irene Newman in 1905.

6. Contrary to popular myth, the first President George Washington never had wooden teeth. His dentures were made from ivory, gold, and other human teeth. The dentures were apparently very uncomfortable and made Washington extremely self-conscious, causing his lower lip to jut out unnaturally. Dentists weren’t very popular back then, so teeth falling out and needing to be replaced was common.

7. The modern version of toothpaste has only existed for about 100 years. In Ancient Greece, they used coral powder, alabaster, talc, pumice and even iron rust as toothpaste.

8. What hand you write with will typically determine what side you chew your food on. If you’re right handed, you’ll more than likely chew on the right side of your mouth. If you’re left handed, you will chew on the left side.

https://dentalgist.ng/8-interesting-facts-about-dentists-and-teeth

No 8 is not true. I chew on my left but I write with my right.

How come dental implants are so costly? Who coughs out a million Naira for one tooth? I just started wearing valplast dentures and they're cheap and comfortable

1 Like

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by chigoziri2403(m): 1:33pm On Jun 06, 2019
In Nigeria as a kid, when your tooth falls down, throw it on the roof of you want it to grow back

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by helphelp: 1:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
Hjckk
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Jonesses1: 1:44pm On Jun 06, 2019
Mind Opening
Re: 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth by Dentalgist: 1:52pm On Jun 06, 2019
salt1:

No 8 is not true. I chew on my left but I write with my right.

How come dental implants are so costly? Who coughs out a million Naira for one tooth? I just started wearing valplast dentures and they're cheap and comfortable

It's a matter of priority, some people will spend any thing to have a near perfect smile. Also remember that the implant are usually made of titanium or zirconia, which are usually very expensive , not to even talk of the implant kit. In addition, the success rate is very high and it can last a lifetime.
All these make a dental implant expensive. The valplast removable partial denture is not comparable to an implant, which is permanent.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

15 COVID-19 Cases In Bauchi Are From Cross River - Governor Bala Mohammed / Bitter Leaf / Girl Whose Hands Were Injured By Grandma In Edo Cos Of Noodles Undergo Surgery(p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.