Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy (1402 Views)

The Highest And Most Polished Culture On Earth Is Yoruba Culture - Reno Omokri / Itsekiri Is Yoruba- CAN President / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by druxlazu: 2:31pm On Jun 07, 2019
Okay. First of all, I am Yoruba by blood and I am here to find more truth.

Leo Frobenuis theory about Ile Ife and Yorubaland being once settled by some Greeks and being a Greek colony, I think deserves a consideration. In spite of all the insults, I wouldn't do away with some of the element of the truth in his book.

I think there have been an admixture between the present Yoruba people (I am me) and some other people of another race (which is also me). This other people and other race i don't know and how to describe them.

The reason why I said I am the other race is I might have been the one with also the blood that the Yoruba man presently which is me also carries.

Please guys take a look at this picture and tell me if you have any knowledge about it. It was posted by a group on Facebook called Owo Kingdom https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1852893161500236&set=g.300812363298921&type=1&theater&ifg=1

To read more about Leo Frobenuis Travels and Theory. Here https://archive.org/details/voiceofafricabei02frobuoft
and https://archive.org/stream/voiceofafricabei01frobuoft

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by OTayobami(m): 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2019
Me wey i dey connected to like 3 different back ground and i nor know anything about any one, my name na Ayobamidele and wetin i hear be say my grandpa na from Igarra so how come i take bear that name? What a confusing something, i think I'm go to turn myself to red Indian oo! Oy a US government make Una come carry una strong native oo!
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by druxlazu: 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2019
Please I am asking for those who have serious idea or explanations to make about whether Ife and Yorubaland was a greek colony.
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by babasolution: 7:01pm On Jun 07, 2019
iit cant be true,if it was there would have been clearer proven .
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by RedboneSmith(m): 7:25pm On Jun 07, 2019
This is not 1912 anymore.

The study of African History has moved on from the racist diffusionist shịt of Frobenius and his colleagues.

4 Likes

Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by Rossikk(m): 11:02pm On Jun 07, 2019
RedboneSmith:

The study of African History has moved on from the racist diffusionist shịt of Frobenius and his colleagues.

Thanks for this. The idea that the Greeks colonised Yorubaland is an absolute joke. If anything it was ancient black Africans who founded Greece and were the first Greeks, only supplanted later by.... barbarians.

2 Likes

Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by Amujale(m): 11:56pm On Jun 07, 2019
Rossikk:

Thanks for this. The idea that the Greeks colonised Yorubaland is an absolute joke. If anything it was ancient black Africans who founded Greece and were the first Greeks, only supplanted later by.... barbarians.

I agree with your analysis here.

Thanks here also.

Your post combined with contributors analysis may as well be stating the obvious.

Since ancient black Africans are said to have found Greece, is it not possible that West Africans are amongst these founding communities?

All of the proof suggest that ancient Africans leave traces of a long and sustained presence elsewhere in the world.

KM.T was created out of African unism, different ethnicities coming together to form a super-satellite-state so that they may find it easier to best rule over their world.

unism is known as the ultimate union
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by druxlazu: 11:58pm On Jun 07, 2019
RedboneSmith:

You wouldn't believe why he made such a comment or theory. I am sorry to say that your attitude depicts one with selfishness and inferiority complex.

Man in his adventure to find his origin must be ready to work with things that would aid his findings to the absolute truth. Man cannot be independent of knowledge.

Imagine if you are an African and went to explore Rome in Italy and the natives living there were more like savages like Frobenius described Africans. If you were presented with the art thus found within Yorubaland, believe me, you will be ponder for more than you can imagine even though it was there ancestors that created that art.

i mean no offense Sir and disrespect. I created this post in an attempt to find truth and explanations as to how me and my people came to be who they are and why are things the way they are.

If you have any knowledge about my questions, answers and explanations are welcomed.
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by druxlazu: 12:02am On Jun 08, 2019
Amujale:

I agree with your analysis here.

Thanks here also.

Your post combined with contributors analysis may as well be stating the obvious.

Since ancient black Africans are said to have found Greece, is it not possible that West Africans, Yoruba and neighbouring brothers and sisters are amongst these founding communities?

What do you know about Ancient Africans to believe they were the one that created this art? Leo Frobenius provided many theories as regards to the origin and those that were the culture founders and there seems to be elements of truth in the statements and ideas he postulated?

Please if you have explanations and answers as to the origin of the image in question, Answers are welcomed.
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by Amujale(m): 12:56am On Jun 08, 2019
druxlazu:

What do you know about Ancient Africans to believe they were the one that created this art? Leo Frobenius provided many theories as regards to the origin and those that were the culture founders and there seems to be elements of truth in the statements and ideas he postulated?.

I know, ancient Africans invented “art” as a profession, aren’t they brilliant? Leo Frobenius is a breath of fresh ideas, an exceptional intellectual.

Sumerian art is strikingly similar to African art, could it be that they actually are?

Everyone already knows that African artists are always a major influence on art.

Its indeed a part of African history that Africans are the ones whom found Greece.

Here is a video describing extracts from Martin Bernal’s the “Black Athena”.

[flash=250,250]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVQa2XXM6Zk[/flash]

Professor Martin Gardiner Bernal (also wrote the book Cadmean Letters, devoted to the origins of the Greek alphabet..
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by Amujale(m): 1:17am On Jun 08, 2019
Africans have a history of a pro-long and sustained presence in ancient Europe and other parts of the world.

In antiquity, it’s fair to say, that would suggest West African communities being present in the region as part of the larger family of Africans.

In that scenario, Greece would in actual fact be considered a Yoruba Colony; an African Colony
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by MetaPhysical: 2:19am On Jun 08, 2019
druxlazu:

Leo Frobenuis theory about Ile Ife and Yorubaland being once settled by some Greeks and being a Greek colony, I think deserves a consideration. In spite of all the insults, I wouldn't do away with some of the element of the truth in his book.

I think there have been an admixture between the present Yoruba people (I am me) and some other people of another race (which is also me). This other people and other race i don't know and how to describe them.

The reason why I said I am the other race is I might have been the one with also the blood that the Yoruba man presently which is me also carries.

Please guys take a look at this picture and tell me if you have any knowledge about it. It was posted by a group on Facebook called Owo Kingdom https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1852893161500236&set=g.300812363298921&type=1&theater&ifg=1

To read more about Leo Frobenuis Travels and Theory. Here https://archive.org/details/voiceofafricabei02frobuoft

Yoruba had roots in Canaan/Egypt. The Canaanites were also called Pheonicians. Greek's (Roman) civilization is an offshoot of the Phoenicians. Yoruba and Greek are not directly co-origined, the similarity between the two is in their arts, myths, divinities and this is due to them both coming out of a common culture and knowledge-set, so their productions mirror one another.

Look at the picture below, an ancient Greek Emperor. He carries a crown on his head, holds a staff and bears two swords- the sword in his hand is that of Priesthood, the one across his chest is the one of Kingdom. He is a Priest-King. How is he different from Ooni and our other kings in Yorubaland?

1 Like

Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by RedboneSmith(m): 3:35am On Jun 08, 2019
druxlazu:

You wouldn't believe why he made such a comment or theory. I am sorry to say that your attitude depicts one with selfishness and inferiority complex.

Man in his adventure to find his origin must be ready to work with things that would aid his findings to the absolute truth. Man cannot be independent of knowledge.

Imagine if you are an African and went to explore Rome in Italy and the natives living there were more like savages like Frobenius described Africans. If you were presented with the art thus found within Yorubaland, believe me, you will be ponder for more than you can imagine even though it was there ancestors that created that art.

i mean no offense Sir and disrespect. I created this post in an attempt to find truth and explanations as to how me and my people came to be who they are and why are things the way they are.

If you have any knowledge about my questions, answers and explanations are welcomed.

Inferiority complex? Lol.

It is not your fault sha. You people will always go and dig up old outdated research from a deeply racist past, and when someone points out to you that the work is old and outdated, and has since been debunked by historians who have more detailed data at their disposal, you come up with ridiculous accusations like 'inferiority complex' and 'ignorance'. Frobenius did his work in the early part of the 20th century. Since that time more up-to-date work has been done on the history of Yoruba art. If knowledge is what you seek, you should keep abreast with recent trends in African historiography.

Frobenius and a lot of researchers like him from that time always made the assumption that wherever in Africa they found evidence of high civilization, it must have come from outside Africa. They found that the Yoruba of Ife made highly naturalistic sculptures and they concluded they must have learnt from the Greeks (who also did naturalistic sculptures.) For some reason he thought the Greeks had the patent on naturalism, and no other people in the world could have made them independent of the Greeks. *eye roll*

Diffusionist nonsense. But of course, if you fancy nonsense, go ahead and knock yourself out. What's my business? cool

3 Likes

Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by druxlazu: 11:09am On Jun 08, 2019
I am however disappointed in this forum, I am looking for evidence to dispute what a German ethnologist theorized but what I am getting is an Afrocentric type of comments.

You are no practically better than those who called some Africans savages.

If you look at my questions very well, I said a Greek colony and what I am asking is that, did a race different to the African negro settled and there are many evidence that led Frobenius to make such comments. The life size arts didn't in anyway resemble the typical black African and now you are left in the state of utter confusion.

I am disappointed with the replies I got so far because it lacks knowledge.

In argument, If I said something is not good, you as my opponent would provide a constructive argument to say that something is good.

Truth no matter how small at all times never change and remain static.

1 Like

Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by MetaPhysical: 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Inferiority complex? Lol.

It is not your fault sha. You people will always go and dig up old outdated research from a deeply racist past, and when someone points out to you that the work is old and outdated, and has since been debunked by historians who have more detailed data at their disposal, you come up with ridiculous accusations like 'inferiority complex' and 'ignorance'. Frobenius did his work in the early part of the 20th century. Since that time more up-to-date work has been done on the history of Yoruba art. If knowledge is what you seek, you should keep abreast with recent trends in African historiography.

Frobenius and a lot of researchers like him from that time always made the assumption that wherever in Africa they found evidence of high civilization, it must have come from outside Africa. They found that the Yoruba of Ife made highly naturalistic sculptures and they concluded they must have learnt from the Greeks (who also did naturalistic sculptures.) For some reason he thought the Greeks had the patent on naturalism, and no other people in the world could have made them independent of the Greeks. *eye roll*

Diffusionist nonsense. But of course, if you fancy nonsense, go ahead and knock yourself out. What's my business? cool

So its outdated, its racist, ....

History is never outdated and racism is relative!

If i say Blacks are not inventive I am admitting an inventive race exist and it is not Black. This is racism. If i say Whites suffer from mental imbalances it's an admission that it is possible to have mental balance and the trait does not exist amongst Whites. This is also racism. What is profound is the two statements are exceedingly truthful.

Frobenius was an anthropologist and an artist as well. What he saw and recorded in text he also sketched and entered as art. He entered African from the North, Libya to be specific. So Yorubaland was not his target or first stop. What he experienced in Yorubaland were discoveries. The people did not tell him what they had or who they were. A dig by someone preparing ground for foundation unearthed a treasure....and one curiosity led to the other for the German.

The history and accounts of his discoveries, their antiquities and their value to humanity and society can never ever be "outdated".

Yorubaland was not his last stop, Frobenius went further hinterland and researched other cultures beyond Yoruba.

In his conclusion of the cultures and the places he visited the Yorubas are unique. Their civilization is only worthy to be compared with that of Greek; no one else!
He provided plenty substances of customs, traditions, arts, philosophies, as base for his report. He was careful to point out that what he found in Yorubaland could not be found or reproduced anywhere else in Africa except in North Africa. He was convinced Atlantis was in Yorubaland. He did not think the Blacks colonized Greek but rather Greek colonized and taught Yorubas these arts and customs.

In other words the link between Yoruba and Greek is indisputable, it cannot be a mere coincidence and neither is it result of attrition, rather it shows direct signature of a single civilization that splitted in past....and is now found. This is fact!

He introduced racism where he said Greek was the parent civilization to Yoruba because Blacks had no capacity to produce such fine art.

OP is dealing with the fact. The age and racism does not devalue nor diminish the merit in the link.
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by MetaPhysical: 3:04pm On Jun 08, 2019
druxlazu:
I am however disappointed in this forum, I am looking for evidence to dispute what a German ethnologist theorized but what I am getting is an Afrocentric type of comments.

You are no practically better than those who called some Africans savages.

If you look at my questions very well, I said a Greek colony and what I am asking is that, did a race different to the African negro settled and there are many evidence that led Frobenius to make such comments. The life size arts didn't in anyway resemble the typical black African and now you are left in the state of utter confusion.

I am disappointed with the replies I got so far because it lacks knowledge.

In argument, If I said something is not good, you as my opponent would provide a constructive argument to say that something is good.

Truth no matter how small at all times never change and remain static.

An American writer on power of myth and magic, Joseph Campbell, had once written that the Yorubas were Atlantic and he placed their origin in the seafaring Pheonicias.

Leo Frobenius himself call them Etrusceans. Dierk Lange also called them Canaanites.

Keep reading and digging, dont be discouraged...its normal to meet roadblocks but you must cultivate a stronger will to overun roadblocks before they destroy your quest.
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by MetaPhysical: 3:54pm On Jun 08, 2019
OP
I dont know how much i can put emphasis that Yorubaland was never a colony of Greece. There is no point exploring that possibility, it is dead end.

However, do the two civilizations share traits? Yes!
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by RedboneSmith(m): 4:14pm On Jun 08, 2019
I am no Afrocentrist. I cannot emphasize that enough. I am no Afrocentrist. That is the funniest tag anyone who has seen my arguments will put on me. grin grin grin

I have even gotten into fights with Afrocentrists on this forum over disagreements about such things as Ancient Egyptian history or the racial identity of Hannibal or Jesus.

The Greeks never colonized Yorubaland. There is no evidence pointing in that direction, period.

4 Likes

Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by goalernestman: 8:16pm On Jun 08, 2019
druxlazu:

but the pictur you posted here is of Benin oba and not yorba
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by MetaPhysical: 9:20pm On Jun 08, 2019
RedboneSmith:
I am no Afrocentrist. I cannot emphasize that enough. I am no Afrocentrist. That is the funniest tag anyone who has seen my arguments will put on me. grin grin grin

I have even gotten into fights with Afrocentrists on this forum over disagreements about such things as Ancient Egyptian history or the racial identity of Hannibal or Jesus.

The Greeks never colonized Yorubaland. There is no evidence pointing in that direction, period.

Im a witness on your ideological orientation, and I agree with your last stat e ment.
Re: Is Yoruba Land Once A Greek Colonoy by nlPoster: 1:08am On Mar 31, 2020
Another argument.

(1) (Reply)

Natural Dreadlocks Popularly Called Dada-What Is The Mystery Behind It? / From The Source?ile-ife / Cultural Phenomena - Why Are Women Subjected To Harsh Beauty Standards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.