Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,192 members, 7,815,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? (327 Views)

Why Pay Rent When You Can RENT-TO-OWN / Please Don't Pay Your BEDC Bill With Your Card On Thier Website / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? by frankmoney(m): 7:14am On Jun 09, 2019
Hello everyone . I owm some properties and the tennants who reside there are always reluctant to pay thier rent on time . A particular man is even owing up to a year and keeps bringing up stories .I plan on removing everybody from the house and bringing new people . Can they be forcefully ejected or have to be served the normal 3 months quit notice even after owing for more than six months to a year ?
Re: What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? by sirusX(m): 7:33am On Jun 09, 2019
What does it state in the tenancy agreement??

Usually there should be a clause of when they default in payment....what is the time period? cz I believe they have extended beyond the notice

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? by lilzika: 7:33am On Jun 09, 2019
I think it depends on what your “terms and conditions” say.. If your lawyer didn’t indicate such clause in the contract, then too bad for you. It’s always stress-free when all relevant clauses are incorporated into the agreement, and signed by the two parties.

Owning rent for 6/12 months is too long, it’s your property and it’s business. When you’re too lenient, people tend to take you for granted. If they can’t pay their rent, meet with your lawyer, and proceed for evictions..
Re: What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? by ericosky(m): 7:42am On Jun 09, 2019
I think you have to get your Lawyer to officially serve them a quit notice. They will sign a copy each, you give them one and hold one for proof. The notice lasts for three months and after that, you go to the the Local Government Secretariat, I think there are people there responsible for evicting unwanted property trespassers - someone said they are called Sheriffs. Copy the Police too in your letter to the Local Government. The Local Govt guys will do the eviction for you smoothly, no stress. If you follow this, there will be no repercussions.
Re: What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? by frankmoney(m): 7:44am On Jun 09, 2019
ericosky:
I think you have to get your Lawyer to officially serve them a quit notice. They will sign a copy each, you give them one and hold one for proof. The notice lasts for three months and after that, you go to the the Local Government Secretariat, I think there are people there responsible for evicting unwanted property trespassers - someone said they are called Sheriffs. Copy the Police too in your letter to the Local Government. The Local Govt guys will do the eviction for you smoothly, no stress. If you follow this, there will be no repercussions.
I think I will just do this , because it's a regular habit from them , they never pay rent on time , and sometimes pay in bits which the money can't be useful , will visit the LGA
Re: What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? by frankmoney(m): 7:46am On Jun 09, 2019
lilzika:
I think it depends on what your “terms and conditions” say.. If your lawyer didn’t indicate such clause in the contract, then too bad for you. It’s always stress-free when all relevant clauses are incorporated into the agreement, and signed by the two parties.

Owning rent for 6/12 months is too long, it’s your property and it’s business. When you’re too lenient, people tend to take you for granted. If they can’t pay their rent, meet with your lawyer, and proceed for evictions..
I'm not sure it's indicated in the agreement , I'm currently not around but will check when I get home . But I doubt if it was . In this scenario what do I do ? Because they pay in bits most times and the money can't be useful sometimes
Re: What To Do When Tennants Don't Pay Rent ? by Heartbender: 8:05am On Jun 09, 2019
Get a lawyer
frankmoney:
Hello everyone . I owm some properties and the tennants who reside there are always reluctant to pay thier rent on time . A particular man is even owing up to a year and keeps bringing up stories .I plan on removing everybody from the house and bringing new people . Can they be forcefully ejected or have to be served the normal 3 months quit notice even after owing for more than six months to a year ?

(1) (Reply)

Land And Property Sales In Delta State / Half Plot For Sale At Magodo Phase 1. / 3bedroom Flat Bungalow Self Compound For Sale At Arepo Sitting On The Full Plot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.