Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. (1118 Views)

2021 Toyota Yaris Cross Unveiled With Hybrid And AWD / The 2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid And Its Solar Roof / Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:34am On Jun 09, 2019
INTRODUCTION
One of the major killers of any battery, especially, high voltage(HV) batteries, is HEAT.

Major manufacturers around the world, that have ventured into hybrid and electric vehicle technology, have always being faced with the challenges of how to improved on BATTERY RANGE, and CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE (applicable to battery electric vehicles only), and whilst full or semi hybrid vehicles often tines, ponders on the most fuel efficient, small engines (ICE) to used on their various platforms.

But because of the future lawsuits that may occur as a result of unreliable battery technology, as a result of the tremendous amount of heat generated by these vehicles during driving, and regenerative purposes, manufacturers of HV batteries, in liaison with auto manufacturers of these vehicles, have designed, tested, and developed various COOLING METHODOLOGIES to cool these batteries, and avoid legal ramifications in cases where those batteries prematurely degenerates, and causes safety concerns to occupants of whatever vehicle.

Its with the above scenario in place, that, though, depending on the type of battery chemistry used by any of the major car brands, a combination of one or both cooling methods are employed.

1. AIR COOLED. Just as its applicable on conventional vehicles, for instance, VW beetles those days were using only ambient air to helped cook its engines.

For the Toyota synergy drive system(TSD), the air cooling system was chosen to help with the cooling of the HV battery.

This was chosen, considering the less severe nature of NIMH(nickel metal chemistry).

This system uses a blower 12V electric motor, with different fan speeds to helped cool the HV battery.

Cool air from the interior of the car, via the electric AC system, is sucked to helped cool down the temperature of the modules, depending on the heat status of the battery.

2. WATER AND AIR COOLED. This system combines both air and water in cooling a HV battery.

Example of this system is what is obtainable in Tesla vehicles, Chevrolet, and Ford fusion.
Water air cooling is mostly used because of the huge safety concerns that Lithium ion battery packs could posed, when there's insufficient heat transfers, these batteries are capable of exploding.

SO HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR BATTERY COOLING EFFICIENTLY?
1. Have a scheduled maintenance regiment in place to clean the blower fan.

Some of the hybrid vehicles I have worked on over here in Nigeria, and those imported from the USA, had a lot of dog/cat furs and dust stuck in their blower fan blades.

This prevents efficient air movements through the plumbing of the fans, and hence over and under the pack; and "kills" the bearings of the motors.

2. Always insists that the blower fans are properly cleaned up, before installing a brand new or used HV battery pack in your vehicle.

Doing this, would ensured that your new pack wouldn't die prematurely, just in case it was the root cause of a previous replacement.

3. Ensure the cooling system plumbing are properly fitted well, after every blower/battery service.

4. Do not block the blower fan inlet with passengers sitting at the rear.

5. Don't stuck grocery stuffs, and all that at the rear of the seats, to cover airflow

CONCLUSION
It pays to on your parts, helped prolonged the lifespan of your HV battery by at least getting the power fan cleaned at schedule, than to spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on HV battery purchase.

PS:
Driving your car without the AC system working, is as good as getting prepared for another HV battery, just in case you think that consumes fuel.

Your car's AC system does not run off of your engine, but from the hybrid battery.

So you that "thing", to the fullest guys!

Regards,
Joseph
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos
www.dxta.com.ng

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:36am On Jun 09, 2019
A Camry hybrid blower fan motor.
Notice the dust on the exit plumbing, and on the fan blower.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:46am On Jun 09, 2019
The blower fan for a hybrid rx400h inspection.
Its pretty much clean, and no need for servicing it.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:50am On Jun 09, 2019
Showing the locations of the blower fans(Rx400h).

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:51am On Jun 09, 2019
A brand new RX 400h hybrid pack from Toyota USA.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:54am On Jun 09, 2019
A closer look at the Camry blower fan, how dusty it looked.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2019
Blower disabling

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:57am On Jun 09, 2019
Fully disabled

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:58am On Jun 09, 2019
You can use an old toothbrush like I have done here.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 10:59am On Jun 09, 2019
Here's what we got out of the blower fan.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 11:01am On Jun 09, 2019
Finished cleaning the fan

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 11:02am On Jun 09, 2019
Taking a side view look at the cleaned blower.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by TRYGO(m): 11:05am On Jun 09, 2019
2012 Camry hybrid blower fan

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by rockafela(m): 9:13am On Aug 23, 2019
I need your opinion on this:
I’m about to buy a hybrid Lexus RX400H, as I continue with findings and research a lot of people said hybrid cars always have electrical issue no matter how much you maintain them, that it’s not advisable, I felt discouraged and I got mad love for hybrid vehicles because of the high fuel efficiency and almost noiseless.
Please I need your honest opinion on this before I make a final decision. All comments are welcome.
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by Kreamie(m): 10:56am On Aug 23, 2019
- Their parts are sort of expensive and somewhat scarce
- You have to always keep a listening ear
- Your hybrids should always be serviced or fixed by the likes of OP only
- It’s always advisable to buy brand new hybrids or those with relatively low mileage.
- I’m speaking from a personal experience
rockafela:
I need your opinion on this:
I’m about to buy a hybrid Lexus RX400H, as I continue with findings and research a lot of people said hybrid cars always have electrical issue no matter how much you maintain them, that it’s not advisable, I felt discouraged and I got mad love for hybrid vehicles because of the high fuel efficiency and almost noiseless.
Please I need your honest opinion on this before I make a final decision. All comments are welcome.
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicle: Your Part! In Hv Battery Health. by rockafela(m): 1:34pm On Aug 23, 2019
Kreamie:
- Their parts are sort of expensive and somewhat scarce
- You have to always keep a listening ear
- Your hybrids should always be serviced or fixed by the likes of OP only
- It’s always advisable to buy brand new hybrids or those with relatively low mileage.
- I’m speaking from a personal experience
very good

(1) (Reply)

Where And How Much Can I Get The '04 BMW 120i 4 Plugs 2.0ltrs Engine / Aerial Mast Collapses In Abuja, Destroy Cars (Photos) / 5 Reasons Nigerian Riders Don’t Tip Uber Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.