Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,060 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Folktales My Grandpa Told Me - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Folktales My Grandpa Told Me (551 Views)

Oluronbi And Iroko Oluwere. Folktales / Folksong. English Version / Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' / Google: Short Stories Google Told As They Celebrate Women Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Folktales My Grandpa Told Me by Helenbims(m): 3:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
FOLKTALES MY GRANDPA TOLD ME
This is one of the finest books to be written in this century. The book aims at educating and at the same time, entertaining young Africans who have been at loss with the beautiful African cultures. Storytelling is one of the intrinsic components of many African cultures. Folktales are told usually in the night for fun, and to also educate and teach values and morals in the society. But the advents of technological inventions like the television and video games have killed the storytelling practice. People living in the cities unlike in the olden days, no longer visit their villages.
The stories accumulated in this book therefore aimed at resuscitating the storytelling act, to prevent African valuable cultures from going into extinction and to teach morals to our younger generations.

EXCERPT FROM THE BOOK:
The stories in this book are intended to teach morals and are presented in days.

DAY ONE
I usually love to spend my holiday in the village because it is always filled with fun and storytelling by my grandfather who is a great storyteller. Not only that, I usually enjoy the company of my cousins and nephews who usually come around during the holiday. “Grandpa”, as we always call him, is a very caring father who loves to be among his grand children who always come around during the holiday. We love to be with him because of his storytelling prowess and in order to help him since the death of our grandmother two years ago.
Anytime our school is on vacation, I always beg my parents to take me to the village which they usually do. One evening after having our dinner, Toyosi, one of my cousins was seen fighting with Fadekemi over a piece of meat. Bamikole who is a bit older than us got there to inquire what was happening, while they both explained what was happening. Bamikole collected the piece of meat from them and swallowed it. Toyosi cried to Grandpa about Bamikole`s act. Grandpa was not happy with him at all and asked why he did such a thing to his younger ones. Grandpa then called on us to sit down while he tells us a story.

THE TORTOIES, MICE AND SQUIRREL[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]

FOR BULK PURCHASE FOR YOUR SCHOOLS, CONTACT: 08068265049 on Calls and WhatsApp.

(1) (Reply)

Married But No Sex - Episode 6 / Freelance Experienced Articles Writer Needed! / 10 Books To Read During This Big Brother Naija Period (dl linkz inside)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.