Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,263 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) (32042 Views)

Lady Survives Fungal Infection Which Came Off An Artificial Nail She Fixed / STC30 Treats Sickle Cell Anemia / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by udomoh(m): 9:46pm On Jun 19, 2019
A sickler shares story on how he survives sickle cell anemia.

Few days ago, we lost Uche.
She was a gem, a warrior and an ever present member of the Sickle Cell Community.
I remember it was this time last year.
We got talking via the Sickle Cell WhatsApp group, she needed blood and I had a friend of mine come donate for her.
It was then we got to know that we were both on admission in the same hospital (LUTH). She was in the female ward and I was in the male ward.
Uche was super positive! She would wake me up with words of encouragement and would tell me to believe! That we would both win. Of course we did win! And we have won severally since then.
But she didn’t get to win on this particular occasion. She lost it to the dreaded sickle cell.
To you, Henry (whom we also lost a few months back), Mohammad (my brother) and the thousands of warriors who are long gone, continue to rest in power.
I know a whole lot of people get this scary look when they hear about Sickle cell.
Truth be told, sickle cell can be dreadful.
Talk about the long nights, the painful episodes, the stereotypes and all.
But in-spite of all these negativities we’ve had some positives.
There are warriors who live till old age and see their grandchildren. There are those who’ve not recorded any hospital visit in years. We have those who are super healthy and are living their best life.
For us living with sickle cell, information is vital.
Getting adequate information about our condition is not only important but can save us tons of worries.
As today marks the World’s sickle cell day, I’ve listed a few natural management procedures for US and for our caregivers as well.
These procedures have helped me overcome my deepest moments as a warrior and also helped me stay healthy! And I’m super certain it can do so for you.
1. Preventing Dehydration – In case you didn’t know, these past few months have been one for me to forget. Been on admission for at least four times, got my first ever blood transfusion coupled with loads of emotional bargains.
But it all got better when I did one thing! Increase my water intake!
I started taking nothing less than 5 litres of water daily! That’s a lot, yeah? But it surely helped.
The thing is, sickle cell crisis most times is a reaction to low oxygen levels in the blood, which can be caused by extreme physical conditions and dehydration.
Taking at least 4 liters of water daily, coupled with getting adequate rest is key to preventing crisis and staying on top of your game.
2. Avoiding your Triggers – This is also very helpful. Triggers are what leads to your crisis.
For me, it’s dehydration, stress, infection, malaria and funny enough consuming too much of sweet things.
For you, it might be different. It is essential you identify those things, and try to avoid them
3. Diet – Foods play a large role too! Because as warriors, our body needs more nutrients than the average individual, so it’s highly beneficial if we load our foods with varieties.
I won’t be specific here, but make it a habit as a warrior to consume fruits and veggies on a daily basis!
Your body needs folate to produce red blood cells, it needs protein and healthy fats to reduce anaemia symptoms and also it needs lots of antioxidants to fight infections! Don’t deny it!
Make I stop here abeg! The thing don dey long
Lastly, it is our collective duty to help achieve a pain free society!
Nigeria currently has the highest number of people living with sickle cell!
But despite that, you still see young carriers (AS and AS) playing love and believing God will take control. I pity them!
I’m not even concerned about them, I’m concerned about the poor child they intend to bring to a life of pains!
In as much as you can, genotypic compatibility is so important! Please ensure you are compatible before you say I do!
Obrigado! Gracias!

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/19/he-survives-sickle-cell-anemia/?amp

99 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by dominique(f): 2:14pm On Jun 20, 2019
Stay strong warriors. You shall always overcome

164 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Pascopele: 2:15pm On Jun 20, 2019
Remember when people had diaries and got mad when someone read them? Now they put everything online and get mad when people don't.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by materialproject: 2:16pm On Jun 20, 2019
If you no get money for this country,

Even paracetamol will not reach you

7 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by careytommy37(m): 2:17pm On Jun 20, 2019
If you are AS, make sure you only marry AA.
I'm AS and will only marry an AA girl

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Rick9(m): 2:17pm On Jun 20, 2019
Ehyah
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Yuceeluv(f): 2:18pm On Jun 20, 2019
My very beautiful cousin comes to mind...And sicklers they fine like s**t.

9 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by BruncleZuma: 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ipobarethieves: 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2019
embarassed sad sad embarassed some pipu no mata how u preach to dem dat AS +AS nor marry, mbanu! dem go tag u enemy of progress/tell u dat God will do it.U reap what U sow.Shikena

9 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Magnifico2000: 2:20pm On Jun 20, 2019
careytommy37:
If you are AS, make sure you only marry AA.
I'm AS and will only marry an AA girl
What if you can't get an AA girl that will love you?

12 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by babadeee(m): 2:20pm On Jun 20, 2019
I understand wat u going through warrior stay strong it’s not easy angry

13 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by sotall(m): 2:20pm On Jun 20, 2019
That name warrior

I don't understand
Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Jmk9292(m): 2:22pm On Jun 20, 2019
Courage!! I say to warriors

9 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Sheunma: 2:23pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

remain single

78 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Zimzy(m): 2:23pm On Jun 20, 2019
You shall win after all is over! Keep believing and never give up

9 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by kaludestiny10(m): 2:23pm On Jun 20, 2019
Thanks for the info. Pls people should always endeavour to know their blood genotype and that of their spouse before saying I Do or before entangling together.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jun 20, 2019
Nigeria people will not hear word, AS will keep marrying AS because they believe god will take control.

12 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by NobleAngell(f): 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2019
This should be very very helpful to other patients. But I know a doctor who treats.

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ALWAYSINMONEY: 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2019
continue to trust in God.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Roxxee(m): 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2019
Hmmmmmm
not a small burden ooh

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

AA is not scares na, them full everywhere.

12 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by ipobarethieves: 2:26pm On Jun 20, 2019
embarassed lipsrsealed undecided angry sad sad
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin
undecided
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin
why u dey shine ur teeth

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Lovelyn451(f): 2:26pm On Jun 20, 2019
Warrior.. hmm... just the perfect name for them...I sometimes wish to exchange my genotype with a warrior here, the most hardworking, intelligent, a goal getter, my role model, smartest persons I ever met...but complications that come with being an SS just won't let her be and i hate seeing her in pains cryshes accomplished a lot for herself though...very rich plus a cute son...my lady issa warrior and I always thank God for her

19 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Chikpat(m): 2:26pm On Jun 20, 2019
God bless them in their pains

4 Likes

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Trutherme: 2:27pm On Jun 20, 2019
udomoh:
A sickler shares story on how he survives sickle cell anemia.

Few days ago, we lost Uche.
She was a gem, a warrior and an ever present member of the Sickle Cell Community.
I remember it was this time last year.
We got talking via the Sickle Cell WhatsApp group, she needed blood and I had a friend of mine come donate for her.
It was then we got to know that we were both on admission in the same hospital (LUTH). She was in the female ward and I was in the male ward.
Uche was super positive! She would wake me up with words of encouragement and would tell me to believe! That we would both win. Of course we did win! And we have won severally since then.
But she didn’t get to win on this particular occasion. She lost it to the dreaded sickle cell.
To you, Henry (whom we also lost a few months back), Mohammad (my brother) and the thousands of warriors who are long gone, continue to rest in power.
I know a whole lot of people get this scary look when they hear about Sickle cell.
Truth be told, sickle cell can be dreadful.
Talk about the long nights, the painful episodes, the stereotypes and all.
But in-spite of all these negativities we’ve had some positives.
There are warriors who live till old age and see their grandchildren. There are those who’ve not recorded any hospital visit in years. We have those who are super healthy and are living their best life.
For us living with sickle cell, information is vital.
Getting adequate information about our condition is not only important but can save us tons of worries.
As today marks the World’s sickle cell day, I’ve listed a few natural management procedures for US and for our caregivers as well.
These procedures have helped me overcome my deepest moments as a warrior and also helped me stay healthy! And I’m super certain it can do so for you.
1. Preventing Dehydration – In case you didn’t know, these past few months have been one for me to forget. Been on admission for at least four times, got my first ever blood transfusion coupled with loads of emotional bargains.
But it all got better when I did one thing! Increase my water intake!
I started taking nothing less than 5 litres of water daily! That’s a lot, yeah? But it surely helped.
The thing is, sickle cell crisis most times is a reaction to low oxygen levels in the blood, which can be caused by extreme physical conditions and dehydration.
Taking at least 4 liters of water daily, coupled with getting adequate rest is key to preventing crisis and staying on top of your game.
2. Avoiding your Triggers – This is also very helpful. Triggers are what leads to your crisis.
For me, it’s dehydration, stress, infection, malaria and funny enough consuming too much of sweet things.
For you, it might be different. It is essential you identify those things, and try to avoid them
3. Diet – Foods play a large role too! Because as warriors, our body needs more nutrients than the average individual, so it’s highly beneficial if we load our foods with varieties.
I won’t be specific here, but make it a habit as a warrior to consume fruits and veggies on a daily basis!
Your body needs folate to produce red blood cells, it needs protein and healthy fats to reduce anaemia symptoms and also it needs lots of antioxidants to fight infections! Don’t deny it!
Make I stop here abeg! The thing don dey long
Lastly, it is our collective duty to help achieve a pain free society!
Nigeria currently has the highest number of people living with sickle cell!
But despite that, you still see young carriers (AS and AS) playing love and believing God will take control. I pity them!
I’m not even concerned about them, I’m concerned about the poor child they intend to bring to a life of pains!
In as much as you can, genotypic compatibility is so important! Please ensure you are compatible before you say I do!
Obrigado! Gracias!

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/19/he-survives-sickle-cell-anemia/?amp

I happen to be one of those who battle this dreadful illness till today. First, God is my warrior and my late mother was next. Her support, love and prayers helped carry me through. I still remember mum's powerful prayers and tears on those nights she thought I wasn't going to make it. I also remember the inability to even open my mouth to eat, lack of appetite, lack of blood and eating mostly vegetables prepared by dear mama and taking Ribena drinks.

I once visited a popular hospital in Onitsha that was run by two brothers. I am sorry i won't say their names, but on one of those visits, I remember one of the doctors telling my mother that I wasn't going to make it past 19 or 21 because my situation was more critical than others he had seen or treated. I remember mum's cries from the hospital to my hometown. Well, I am in my late 40's and not going anywhere. I almost gave up or succumbed but my God refused.

Another lifesaver for me came when my Uncle, came back from Uk after his medical studies. His intervention and help was very timely and critical. My uncle evaluated me and took over from there. He reviewed all my pills, (about 7 of them) threw away 5 of them and told me to continue with just Folic Acid, Vitamin, lots of water and vegetables. I honestly don't remember if it's vitamin C or D. But I take folic acid till today.

Also, because I was a teenager, my uncle pulled me aside and told me to personally bring any woman who I wanted to marry to him. Before I could ask why. he told me that it would be tragic for me to marry another AS since I am one. This is very important for those who are AS, please don't marry anyone who has the same AS. Yes, I know there's love and religion but healthy decisions should be taken seriously as well.

I believe that majority of those who deal with this illness are young. Ironically, they don't deserve to go through this tough time at their age. That's why i agree that they are unsung heroes and warriors. We should try not to dismiss their stories and ordeals. The truth is that some of the things they share openly are minimal, compared to what they feel inside.

I saw it all: the blood donation and purchase by mum and family members who really cared, joint pains, the inability to play soccer in primary and high school because I couldn't run around, sitting down with mum and watching others play games because I couldn't, falling sick unpredictably and unexpectedly, etc

To be continued.

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Gkemz: 2:29pm On Jun 20, 2019
Warriors indeed. I have an AS friend who's married to AS despite all the warnings he insisted on marrying a fellow carrier believing that God will give him AA offsprings. Even me wey be AA no fit go for AS partner because i don't want to give birth to any AS even though the chances are little but i don't wanna take any chances.

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Unconquerable: 2:33pm On Jun 20, 2019
Pascopele:
Remember when people had diaries and got mad when someone read them? Now they put everything online and get mad when people don't.
You’re very correct: sad truth.

1 Like

Re: A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo) by Jaynom(m): 2:33pm On Jun 20, 2019
Magnifico2000:

We go find am by fire by force! AAs plenty outside Africa or Las Las na to go Ethiopia or Trinidad and Tobago

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#JusticeForOmolara: Omolara Omoyajuwolo's Death & Beachlan Hospital's Negligence / Hotels, School Dormitories To Be Used As Isolation Centres - FG / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.