Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death (1779 Views)

Lagos State Number-Plate Recognition Camera Caught Man Driving With Expired Pape / Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / Man Uses A Rope To Pull A Faulty Car In Benin, Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by abdulizom(m): 4:52am On Jun 22, 2019
I was driving from Benni to Abuja yesterday, when I was approaching Lokoja lights pop up on my dashboard showing below signs with a write up traction inoperable read your manual.

Suddenly I noticed that the car balance has been affected especially in area where the road isn't smooth, I reduced my speed, but proceed with my journey hoping to fix it in abuja.

When I was approaching Murtala bridge at Koton Karfe where trailers do normally pack, the car waves a little, on getting close to the military check point by the bridge i applied the brake and behold I lost total control of the car.

The car moved in zig zag and I was off my lane to the opposite lane, glory to God that there was no vehicle coming ahead.

I had to scan the car and it was discovered that the front left speed sensor was bad.

Learning point: please do not drive when traction light is showing OFF

Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by weyreypey: 6:03am On Jun 22, 2019
abdulizom:
I was driving from Benni to Abuja yesterday, when I was approaching Lokoja lights pop up on my dashboard showing below signs with a write up traction inoperable read your manual.

Suddenly I noticed that the car balance has been affected especially in area where the road isn't smooth, I reduced my speed, but proceed with my journey hoping to fix it in abuja.

When I was approaching Murtala bridge at Koton Karfe where trailers do normally pack, the car waves a little, on getting close to the military check point by the bridge i applied the brake and behold I lost total control of the car.

The car moved in zig zag and I was off my lane to the opposite lane, glory to God that there was no vehicle coming ahead.

I had to scan the car and it was discovered that the front left speed sensor was bad.

What kind of useless car brand were you driving?
A sensible car maker would disable all traction control in the case of any fault in the traction control system.

Stop buying Chinese used vehicles. Respect your life.

1 Like

Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by alphaNomega: 7:44am On Jun 22, 2019
You were approaching the checkpoint at high speed. Drive slower next time.
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by CocoaOla: 7:56am On Jun 22, 2019
abdulizom:

When next your AUTOMATIC or ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM IS FAULTY (ABS) or failed you have to be very careful on how you apply brake with speed above 40mph don't slam your leg on brake at once you have to pump and apply it slowly and gradually and don't turn your steering anyhow remember the faster smart computer is no more assisting you , you have to do it on own in your own slow way.

ABS prevents the wheels from locking up, thus avoiding uncontrolled skidding of the vehicle and decreases the distance travelled without slipping. ... Without an anti-lock brake system, the wheels of your car stop spinning and the car will begin to skid.

If your ABS is in Good working condition and you slam your leg on brake at once at 100mph out of fear your computer will ignore it and do the job gradually to keep you safe
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by CocoaOla: 8:08am On Jun 22, 2019
Even if you’re an experienced driver, unexpected trouble sometimes can get in the way. In an attempt to avoid imminent collision or danger on the road ahead, you may find yourself jumping on the brake.

This is where the anti-lock braking system (ABS) comes in. It prevents the wheels from locking up and helps them maintain grip with the road below.

ABS was first introduced as an anti-skid system for aircraft use in the 1950s. And in the 1970s, Ford and Chrysler proved that it can also be used in cars.

Anti-lock braking systems are now present in all modern cars sold in Europe.

How does it work?

ABS is part of an overall stability system, commonly known as electronic stability control, which monitors wheels’ under heavy braking. Each wheel has a sensor attached to it.

If the intelligent sensors detect that a wheel is about to lock up and stop moving, the system will release the brake. The release is only for a moment.

ABS then continuously and repeatedly applies optimum braking pressure to each wheel, meaning the system will brake just enough to not lock the wheels.

When ABS is active you may feel pulsation through the brake pedal as you’re pressing it. The anti-lock system helps the driver remain in control of the vehicle rather than bringing the car to a stop.

It reduces the risk of skidding even when undertaking excessive evasive manoeuvres. This is why it’s important to remember that the car’s braking distance may increase.

So, if you keep driving ahead straight into an obstacle, the car may not stop in time even if your instincts dictate otherwise. It’s a common misconception that ABS helps reducing stopping distance.

How effective is it?

Certain older models can be bought without ABS, and some people do prefer not having it. But it's a very effective safety feature:

Cars fitted with ABS are less likely be involved in a fatal crash.

ABS decreases the chance of frontal collision on wet and dry roads.

Cars with ABS rarely stray from the road ahead.

It’s worth keeping in mind that ABS works best on solid stable surfaces, and your experience on ice, snow or gravel can be different.

What if my car doesn’t have ABS?

If you drive an older car, or your motor develops a fault and ABS stops working, you can simulate the system by applying the brake and releasing it repeatedly.

No driver can brake as fast and as cadence as the system but it will still help you remain in control.
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by jceesquare(m): 8:30am On Jun 22, 2019
CocoaOla:

When next your AUTOMATIC or ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM IS FAULTY (ABS) or failed you have to be very careful on how you apply brake with speed above 40mph don't slam your leg on brake at once you have to pump and apply it slowly and gradually and don't turn your steering anyhow remember the faster smart computer is no more assisting you , you have to do it on own in your own slow way.

ABS prevents the wheels from locking up, thus avoiding uncontrolled skidding of the vehicle and decreases the distance travelled without slipping. ... Without an anti-lock brake system, the wheels of your car stop spinning and the car will begin to skid.

If your ABS is in Good working condition and you slam your leg on brake at once at 100mph out of fear your computer will ignore it and do the job gradually to keep you safe
Please remove the word AUTOMATIC from ABS
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by jceesquare(m): 8:40am On Jun 22, 2019
CocoaOla:

Really?
The computer overrides and ignores the emergency stop attempt by the driver at 100mph (161kmh) and does things it's own way?
I honestly don't wanna be in the same car with you when it happens.
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by CocoaOla: 9:20am On Jun 22, 2019
jceesquare:

Really?
The computer overrides and ignores the emergency stop attempt by the driver at 100mph (161kmh) and does things it's own way?
I honestly don't wanna be in the same car with you when it happens.
you don't read to understand! Won't Your wheels lock up if force is applied immediately

Please read to understand Thank you Sir
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by legalwealth(m): 9:28am On Jun 22, 2019
abdulizom:

Nice one!

This is example of what a very known car dealer on this forum told me is nothing but I returned it to him only for him to just clear the code and didn't replace the sensor.

BCDs in here are actual death agent! !!
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by jceesquare(m): 9:47am On Jun 22, 2019
CocoaOla:
you don't read to understand! Won't Your wheels lock up if force is applied immediately

This statement from you
ABS prevents the wheels from locking up, thus avoiding uncontrolled skidding of the vehicle and decreases the distance travelled without slipping...

Contradicts this.
If your ABS is in Good working condition and you slam your leg on brake at once at 100mph out of fear your computer will ignore it and do the job gradually to keep you safe.
Your choice of word (ignore) in the second statement is wrong oga. You wey sabi write for simple comprehension how do you explain emergency braking if the computer ignores your command at 100MPH.
I don't need Google to explain how an ABS works, but using the word IGNORE is wrong oga.
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by jceesquare(m): 9:53am On Jun 22, 2019
CocoaOla:

You were right until you said the computer IGNORES the command of the driver at 100MPH which is over 160KM
That's why I brought the issue of emergency braking at such speed if the computer overrides my command and decides to do things it's own way.
Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by CocoaOla: 10:14am On Jun 22, 2019
jceesquare:

You were right until you said the computer IGNORES the command of the driver at 100MPH which is over 160KM
That's why I brought the issue of emergency braking at such speed if the computer overrides my command and decides to do things it's own way.
. That's right Sir I was just trying to use English everyone will understand Sir don't mind my bad grammar and use of words

Good observations there thanks

1 Like

Re: Driving With A Faulty Traction Control System, Straight Way To Death by jceesquare(m): 10:27am On Jun 22, 2019
CocoaOla:
. That's right Sir I was just trying to use English everyone will understand Sir don't mind my bad grammar and use of words

Good observations there thanks
You're welcome.

(1) (Reply)

Hyundai Elantra 2008 Live Data Check / Brand New Mercedes Benz G Wagon 2019 Available! / Engine Replacement On ML350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.