Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football (12778 Views)

Fernando Torres Retires From Football After 6-1 Final Match Loss In Japan(Photos / Fernando Torres Announces Retirement / Fernando Torres In Uyo For Atletico VS Super Eagles (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by ogbiwa: 5:56pm On Jun 22, 2019
Spanish World Cup-winning striker Fernando Torres has announced he is to retire from football.

Torres, 35, played at Atletico Madrid, Liverpool and Chelsea in his 18-year career and is currently at Sagan Tosu in Japan's J1 League.

In 110 games for Spain, he scored the winner in Euro 2008 and was on target in their Euro 2012 final win.

"After 18 exciting years, the time has come to put an end to my football career," he said on social media.

Torres said he will hold a news conference in Tokyo on Sunday to "explain all the details".

His career started with Atletico, before a £20m move to Liverpool in 2007, where he scored 81 goals in 142 games.

In 2011, he was signed by Chelsea for a then British record transfer fee of £50m.

Although he failed to replicate his goalscoring form at Stamford Bridge, he was part of the Blues' Champions League-winning team in 2012.

He also won the FA Cup and scored in their 2-1 win against Benfica in the Europa League final in 2013.

After 45 goals in 172 games at Chelsea and a brief four-month loan spell at AC Milan, he returned to Atletico in late 2014.

He finished on the losing side as Atletico lost the 2016 Champions League final to Real Madrid, but won a second Europa League in 2018 - his final appearance before moving to Japan.

Torres, who is Spain's third highest goalscorer with 38, played in six major tournaments including their 2010 World Cup triumph.

"During his career he became a legend by his own merits, and left an unforgettable mark both in the field and in the hearts of everyone he worked with," said Atletico.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48715978

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by dokJ: 9:06pm On Jun 22, 2019
how many times will he retire?

1 Like

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by adedayoa2(f): 9:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
Wow, my Liverpool boyfriend those days

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by enochogaga(m): 9:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
Noted
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Whobedatte(m): 9:08pm On Jun 22, 2019
Nairaland isn't updated anymore
Be posting old news as new or trending

5 Likes

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 22, 2019
ok

op rest in peace
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Rockyrascal(m): 9:09pm On Jun 22, 2019
Thanks for the memories Nando cry
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Digital101: 9:10pm On Jun 22, 2019
He had the opportunity to be like Messi and Ronaldo but he decided to move to Chelsea which ended his career.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jun 22, 2019
Happy married Life
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by LZAA: 9:10pm On Jun 22, 2019
I don beg tire so lemme beg again
NL sports mods pls push current news to fp na
This news is 2 days old
We are tired of regina daniels and tonto dike news
Naptu2 and cadec007 pls

5 Likes

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Digital101: 9:14pm On Jun 22, 2019
Melodycomng:
Happy married Life
Do you read the post. Foolish people everywhere
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by temigreat(m): 9:14pm On Jun 22, 2019
Love d goal he scored against barca for Chelsea in champion league

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by noble2faith(m): 9:15pm On Jun 22, 2019
logon599:
El nino!

The goal he scored when Liverpool beat Ferguson's United at Old Trafford, is to this day one of my most memorable premier league moments. Legend

Vidic, as great as he was in the defence of Manu, was not capable of man marking Torres. Torres always gave him tough time.

2 Likes

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by GlorifiedTunde(m): 9:16pm On Jun 22, 2019
I think Torres' best moments were in Liverpool!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by helinues: 9:19pm On Jun 22, 2019
Joining Chelsea was a wrong move for him..

All the best El Nino
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by 8stargeneral: 9:19pm On Jun 22, 2019
happy retirement El no-no, can't forget his goals against Chelsea when he was at Liverpool

1 Like

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Gt321(m): 9:24pm On Jun 22, 2019
Melodycomng:
Happy married Life

Hello
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:26pm On Jun 22, 2019
Thank you for all you do while at Liverpool.
Wishing you all the best in whatever you wish yourself.
YNWA!

2 Likes

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Funaki: 9:34pm On Jun 22, 2019
temigreat:
Love d goal he scored against barca for Chelsea in champion league
most memorable Torres moment in Chelsea

3 Likes

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Kinjikitile(m): 9:35pm On Jun 22, 2019
adedayoa2:
Wow, my Liverpool boyfriend those days
I am here dearue
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Nteogwuija(m): 9:36pm On Jun 22, 2019
Late, late Nairaland. He announced his retirement about 2 days ago.

2 Likes

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by OfemGeomorph(m): 9:37pm On Jun 22, 2019
One of the best strikers i have see in his prime.A good finisher, a dribbler, composed with the ball at his feet and above all very good in the air.
Just unfortunate that Liverpool exhausted him before selling the expired remnant to chealse at the rate of £50m. But like thy say law of Kama exist, £40m out of that money went to Andy Carroll. Though they got Suarez from the remaning balance who justified his own.

1 Like

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by thesicilian: 9:39pm On Jun 22, 2019
logon599:
El nino!

The goal he scored when Liverpool beat Ferguson's United at Old Trafford, is to this day one of my most memorable premier league moments. Legend
Vidic still has nightmares about that goal till you.

1 Like

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Lokoyen(m): 9:41pm On Jun 22, 2019
LZAA:
I don beg tire so lemme beg again
NL sports mods pls push current news to fp na
This news is 2 days old
We are tired of regina daniels and tonto dike news
Naptu2 and cadec007 pls

LOL. U go chop Ban soon.
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Pablonkor: 9:43pm On Jun 22, 2019
Walahi I can't forget that goal against Barca that took Chelsea to the UCL final, where we eventually defeated Bayern Munich to cling the 2012 UCL trophy.

What a great moment it was for all BLUES

Retire well Fernando

Old news sha

2 Likes

Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by Nature8(m): 9:44pm On Jun 22, 2019
ogbiwa:
Spanish World Cup-winning striker Fernando Torres has announced he is to retire from football.

Torres, 35, played at Atletico Madrid, Liverpool and Chelsea in his 18-year career and is currently at Sagan Tosu in Japan's J1 League.

In 110 games for Spain, he scored the winner in Euro 2008 and was on target in their Euro 2012 final win.

"After 18 exciting years, the time has come to put an end to my football career," he said on social media.

Torres said he will hold a news conference in Tokyo on Sunday to "explain all the details".

His career started with Atletico, before a £20m move to Liverpool in 2007, where he scored 81 goals in 142 games.

In 2011, he was signed by Chelsea for a then British record transfer fee of £50m.

Although he failed to replicate his goalscoring form at Stamford Bridge, he was part of the Blues' Champions League-winning team in 2012.

He also won the FA Cup and scored in their 2-1 win against Benfica in the Europa League final in 2013.

After 45 goals in 172 games at Chelsea and a brief four-month loan spell at AC Milan, he returned to Atletico in late 2014.

He finished on the losing side as Atletico lost the 2016 Champions League final to Real Madrid, but won a second Europa League in 2018 - his final appearance before moving to Japan.

Torres, who is Spain's third highest goalscorer with 38, played in six major tournaments including their 2010 World Cup triumph.

"During his career he became a legend by his own merits, and left an unforgettable mark both in the field and in the hearts of everyone he worked with," said Atletico.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48715978

He made me love football,.

He was my favorite football player..

Thank you Fernando Torres..

You can never be forgotten my nigga..

My favorite football player, thank you so much for making me love football..
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by LZAA: 9:48pm On Jun 22, 2019
Lokoyen:

LOL. U go chop Ban soon.
grin grin
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by macello4(m): 9:55pm On Jun 22, 2019
old news .
Re: Fernando Torres Announces Retirement From Football by pojophilius(m): 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2019
that former announcement na for tennis abigrin grin op eyan akeredoluangry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kano Pillars Wins Nigerian FA (aiteo) Cup / Thomas Dennerby: "Uchenna Kanu Took Ini Umotong's World Cup Spot" / Player Ratings: Italy Vs Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.