Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,588 members, 7,816,448 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? (15040 Views)

How true? / Buy 2M Now Sell 20M In Five Years Risk Free Investment That Never Depreciates / Real Estate Never Felt So Good With This Flash Sale With Great ROI and C of O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by money121(m): 7:22am On Nov 03, 2019
Yes
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by noble71(m): 7:22am On Nov 03, 2019
shocked
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by helinues: 7:23am On Nov 03, 2019
MrVegina:
[s][/s]

1 Share

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by DameB(f): 7:24am On Nov 03, 2019
ednut1:
There is an issue with value in nigeria. If u have a 8 mini flats in ikotun giving u 200k each. Its a nice investment. But if u buy a 70m house in chevron for 3.5m annual rent it may be a bad investment. So many empty house where i live on the island. Rent and sell. Its a saturated market and pple prefer new houses

True.
I'd rather build blocks of 1bedroom flats over procuring duplex. But I feel some of these home owners on the island and Abj do it for the statusquo. Based on demand and supply well finished, properly built miniflats will always be in demand

2 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Pato5(m): 7:27am On Nov 03, 2019
Real estate depreciates
- once u erect a structure on a piece of land, depreciation sets in. Structures age (30-50yrs shell life)
-land lose value from poor government policies which includes: poor roads, sitting of pipelines or power lines, city master plan.

It is not advisable to rush and invest into real estate without due diligence.
From experience anyways,I would only purchase a land when I very sure I don't have a business to invest in. Real estate is somewhat grossly overated.

3 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by onegig(m): 7:34am On Nov 03, 2019
naijadrivablog:
grin

Oga, of every investment there is, real estate remains a solid investment.

Your points are valid but at what percentage does real estate depreciate?
Lets take flood as a disaster that could affect land appreciation, it is wise not to buy lands in a flood prone areas. If I have a land in Lekki, it would just be one or two and I shall wait for a few years and sell.

Lekki is flood prone (some areas) but in 2005, a land there costs around N500k but in 2012 or so, it costs a whooping N100,000,000.

In the long run, real estate beats shares/stocks/bonds, business investment etc.

The rule is, never buy properties in one location only, spread the investment in several localities.

You guys just come online and post half truths and whatnot.

Please show me one single advert from 2005 where a plot of Land in Lekki 1 or 2 was 500k.

Yeah , real estate might bring you profits but for all its so called ROIs it's capital intensive and except you are doing large scale purchases which is out of the reach of the average Joe on the street, you are just wasting your time.

A plot of land in Ibeshe Ikorodu was generally sold for N250k in 2006/2007 . The minimum wage as at then was N13,000 and NYSC corpers were being paid 9500 or so. Petrol was N35 or N45 as at then, now it's hovering around N150. Inflation was at 18% as of January 2007.

After all said and done as at today, that same land can't fetch you more than 2Million in the same Ibeshe Ikorodu.

That's a paltry 600% return on investment after 12years. If you factor in inflation rates and CPI you would understand the profit margin isn't more than 10% . That's fucking outrageous for a long term capital intensive investment.

If i had a residual income of ONLY 250k as at 2007 to invest,I am sure i wouldn't be receiving 2million as a worthy return after 12 years. So you guys should stop touting lands and houses as an eldorado investment option. If you had so much residual income laying fallow you can go tie it up buying landed properties as an hedge against inflation but if you have limited capital and have a viable biz that gives you 30% to 40% returns on investment year on year please plough such funds into the biz. You would be better off.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Systrom(m): 7:36am On Nov 03, 2019
Mecoy:
The past two phases of my Civil Engineering career has found me working with two of Nigeria's top Real Estate companies.

I have planned, designed and also supervised projects. By virtue of working with the big boys of Real Estate in Nigeria, I have met and interacted with a lot of Real Estate agents and other upcoming Real Estate companies in Nigeria.

An Ongoing Real Estate Development

It is a common saying here, that Real Estate never depreciates, and I used to believe it was true, until the question was asked by one of my twitter followers, and I had to do a lot of critical analysis before answering his question.

Real Estate remains a very reliable investment, but like all other investments, there is a risk of depreciation associated with Real Estate.

Considering the first component of Real Estate: buildings, In Civil Engineering, all buildings have a design life. They are designed to last a certain number of years, usually between thirty and fifty years, depending on the budget of the owner. Consequently, as every cubic meter of concrete is poured, as every Kilogram of reinforcement is placed, the design life starts counting. Over a few months, several components starts losing value, some begin to call for repair, depreciation sets in.

If you purchase a piece of land and you have been asked to expect a certain Return on Investment, could anything possibly go wrong and reduce your ROI? Yes, a lot could go wrong!

Flooding could be an issue, as it takes a little increase in the level of adjoining land areas or an increase in the road level to get your land flooded. A bad drainage in the neighbourhood or the rechanneling of a river or some unfavourable incident at a nearby dam could get your property flooded. If you were to sell that property, no one will be willing to pay good money for it, and will definitely bargain lesser for the land. No one will even want to buy a flooded piece of land in the first, except there are no other available options.

Bad roads could also cause the value of a piece of land to depreciate. If the road(s) leading to your piece of land becomes bad, investors and prospective home owners will be discouraged and the demand for land in that neighbourhood will reduce. It is basic Economics that whenever there is low demand for any commodity, the price drops in an attempt to encourage demand.

Security could also be a major factor. If any expensive neighbourhood becomes notorious, either because of armed robbery, kidnapping, bombing or any other crime, the value of that neighbourhood will drop, and your piece of land will definitely lose its value.

Natural disasters or environmental disasters could also deal a fatal blow on your piece of land. Oil spillage, erosion, collapsed bridges, collapsed power supply structures can all lead to a fall in the value of your piece of land.

When next you intend to purchase a property, please consider the above factors, and if you are spending a lot on the piece of land, I will strongly advise that a Soil investigation and topographical investigation be carried out. It is better to be safe than to be sorry.

http://michaelakinpelu..com/2019/06/real-estate-never-depreciates-how-true.html?m=1

Interesting!
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by naijadrivablog: 7:39am On Nov 03, 2019
onegig:

Please show me one single advert from 2005 where a plot of Land in Lekki 1 or 2 was 500k.

Yeah , real estate might bring you profits but for all its so called ROIs it's capital intensive and except you are doing large scale purchases which is out of the reach of the average Joe on the street, you are just wasting your time.

A plot of land in Ibeshe Ikorodu was generally sold for N250k in 2006/2007 . The minimum wage as at then was N13,000 and NYSC corpers were being paid 9500 or so. Petrol was N35 or N45 as at then, now it's hovering around N150. Inflation was at 18% as of January 2007.

After all said and done as at today, that same land can't fetch you more than 2Million in the same Ibeshe Ikorodu.

That's a paltry 600% return on investment after 12years. If you factor in inflation rates and CPI you would understand the profit margin isn't more than 10% . That's fucking outrageous for a long term capital intensive investment.

If i had a residual income of ONLY 250k as at 2007 to invest,I am sure i wouldn't be receiving 2million as a worthy return after 12 years. So you guys should stop touting lands and houses as an eldorado investment option. If you had so much residual income laying fallow you can go tie it up buying landed properties as an hedge against inflation but if you have limited capital and have a viable biz that gives you 30% to 40% returns on investment year on year please plough such funds into the biz. You would be better off.

My friend, google is your friend. Mind you, I have real estate background.

No one uses all his funds to buy land. Your regular income source(s) has to be going while you invest in real estate to get residual income. All investment has level of risks.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://landforsaleinlagos.com/best-place-location-to-buy-a-land-in-lagos-where-do-i-invest/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjH-ZPWts3lAhVHiFwKHVL7CUwQFjAGegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3GIoq2S0K7Jdmb3Fr48maM

2 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by chinchonglee(m): 7:39am On Nov 03, 2019
Cryomancer:
That's not true please... real estate can depreciate and turn into a bad investment overnight especially in a country like Nigeria that lacks development.

People can purchase a landed property with hope that the location will be developed, but at the end things might even get worse.

Example is Satellite Town that used to be a high brow area, but since an Oil Depot was situated there, it has suddenly become an eyesore due to the bad roads and tankers blocking every access for homeowners to enter their homes peacefully and the local government care less about it because of the money they collect from the fuel tankers. Now people are selling off their houses over there for a cheap price and house rents now have become so cheap with lots of vacant houses around, because everybody is moving out and nobody seems to be moving in.

Real estate is good but invest in it wisely, especially in this yeye country that lacks vision, projections and development.
U re nt serious on dis!!
Come nd see the price of houses nd rents in this new site.

U go run
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by chinchonglee(m): 7:40am On Nov 03, 2019
onegig:

Nice one bro!

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Detour00: 7:45am On Nov 03, 2019
Recession affects everything.
helinues:
Real estates is just like Football transfer windows..

Recession no dey near them
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by femeritus: 7:46am On Nov 03, 2019
[Well said. Do you have such an investment you can recommend? quote author=onegig post=83697676]

[/quote]
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by femeritus: 7:48am On Nov 03, 2019
quote author=onegig post=83697676]

[/quote]

Good analysis. Please if you have such an to recommend, let me know.
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by ctleurocollege: 7:48am On Nov 03, 2019
False
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Gazzy88(m): 7:49am On Nov 03, 2019
Flood
Govt policy
Natural apocalypse
Bad infrastructure
Insecurity

These could factor in huge loss in real estate. Every business have its own bad days
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by ctleurocollege: 7:49am On Nov 03, 2019
airminem:
How do i get loan to fund a charity

Google ACT foundation
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by ambient: 7:50am On Nov 03, 2019
It sometimes depreciate,i have been trying to sell off my property in portharcourt nice house in a well tarred neighborhood and people are pricing nonsense, so angry about that investment.

5 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by smile11s(m): 8:01am On Nov 03, 2019
It’s all about location. If a location depreciates, then the entire real estate in that location will depreciate.

3 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Grupo(m): 8:10am On Nov 03, 2019
Jimi24:
One of the few countries where real estate depreciates is Nigeria.
When I say depreciates, I mean very very badly. Excessive urbanization, planlessness, un enforced regulations, advancing slumnization all are contributing to this depreciation in value. I have real life examples from neighborhoods in Surulere, Opening, Abuja, Ilorin and Port harcourt.
Only those who dont have property think real estates always appreciate.
Better choose your neighborhood carefully before investing

This is how you know someone with real life experience.

Most people here are just shouting real estate appreciates. Well, they don't know what's going on.

6 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Grandlord: 8:12am On Nov 03, 2019
Go read about what led to the great recession of 2008.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by pocohantas(f): 8:15am On Nov 03, 2019
Cryomancer:
That's not true please... real estate can depreciate and turn into a bad investment overnight especially in a country like Nigeria that lacks development.

People can purchase a landed property with hope that the location will be developed, but at the end things might even get worse.

Example is Satellite Town that used to be a high brow area, but since an Oil Depot was situated there, it has suddenly become an eyesore due to the bad roads and tankers blocking every access for homeowners to enter their homes peacefully and the local government care less about it because of the money they collect from the fuel tankers. Now people are selling off their houses over there for a cheap price and house rents now have become so cheap with lots of vacant houses around, because everybody is moving out and nobody seems to be moving in.

Real estate is good but invest in it wisely, especially in this yeye country that lacks vision, projections and development.

Exact example I wanted to give. There is also somewhere my dad built back in the days. At a point it became target for robberies. Of course people started moving out and I remember he had to crash the price of rent. Sometimes they won't even pay on time. But it is back to life again sha

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Laxy009(m): 8:15am On Nov 03, 2019
Real estate or building doesn’t not depreciate but it can be impaired.

A real estate investment can suffer impairment by which the fair value of the same asset has reduce in the market as a result of many factors both. XYZ building was purchased 40 million years ago but currently sold at 20million this might arise as a change in taste or consistent flooding or obsolescence or as a result of war or political unrest where the asset is situated .

This are few factors that will contribute to the impairment of such investment. I hope this help .

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 03, 2019
helinues:
Real estates is just like Football transfer windows..

Recession no dey near them
This is a lie. What brought about the global financial meltdown in 2008/2009. You know nothing nothing about real estate bro.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Afiahomes(m): 8:33am On Nov 03, 2019
Gold....if you know wink

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by boghetto: 8:46am On Nov 03, 2019
Cryomancer:

You’ve said it all bro... that place has become a nightmare for landlords and tenants are moving out everyday. The road, the tankers and the electricity situation. Everywhere you look is a To let or For Sale sign.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by 400billionman: 8:49am On Nov 03, 2019
Real Estate money comes when you don't expect it.

But if you are dependent on rent for daily expenses, hunger may be your neighbor.

2 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by 400billionman: 8:51am On Nov 03, 2019
Muhylonaire:
I want to go into real estate... Any instructor here?

Yes
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by chukslawrence(m): 9:38am On Nov 03, 2019
Muhylonaire:
I want to go into real estate... Any instructor here?
Read Donald Trump and Robert Kiyosaki’s books.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 03, 2019
airminem:
How do i get loan to fund a charity
They don't take up loans to fund a charity cause. grin No do wetin your hand no reach.

5 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Sachiopropty(m): 9:45am On Nov 03, 2019
Top 5 Real Estate website in Nigeria

www.sachiong.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! / Fairly Used Furniture Someone? / 1 & 2 Bedroom Apartments In Dubai For Sell ( Dream Home)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.