Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,538 members, 7,812,667 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) (1016 Views)

Buy The Best Car And Vehicle Batteries In Nigeria In Johanan World Store / Criminality Alert!!!! Attention To All Drivers, And Vehicle Owners.see Pic / ABUJA PLATE NUMBER REGISTRATION AND VEHICLE DOCUMENTS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by Consumerprotect(f): 9:39pm On Jun 24, 2019
Have you ever wondered how most of the Vehicles brought into the country after the closure of the land borders get original verifiable custom documents?

Here is one of the ways.

Assume vehicle is a 2010 Acura RDX with VIN: 1234567891011121

Client pays for Vehicle in cotonu and goes back home to wait for Vehicle delivery.

The smuggler contacts His Custom Buddies, and they Begin a search on the customs database for a Matching Vehicle (2010 Acura RDX)

They find one with a custom duty paid for in 2012, with VIN: 1314151617181920

The documents transfered to the smuggler in cotonu.

Next, a set of very skilled crafts men are employed to modify and create new VIN stickers and install them on the vehicle.

The customs only use the last 6 digits of the vin on a vehicle.

The craftsmen remove all vin stickers and Vin plates on the vehicle and recreate a new vin that will contain the last 6 digits of the original document, while leaving the first 10digits of your vehicle alone.

They go as far as removing the vehicles Windshield to replace plates, and cutting of engraved Vin on frame. In some cases they leave the frame blank, in other cases they engrave new Vin numbers to match document.

At the end of this procedure the vin would look something like this. 1234567890181920.

this is just 1 of the few ways smuggled cars are brought in.

I will be revealing more methods in due course.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by CarGuideNG: 10:10pm On Jun 24, 2019
Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:59am On Jun 25, 2019
Consumerprotect:
Have you ever wondered how most of the Vehicles brought into the country after the closure of the land borders get original verifiable custom documents?

Here is one of the ways.

Client pays for Vehicle in cotonu and goes back home to wait for Vehicle delivery.

The smuggler contacts His Custom Buddies, and they Begin a search on the customs database for a Matching Vehicle (2010 Acura RDX)

Next, a set of very skilled crafts men are employed to modify and create new VIN stickers and install them on the vehicle.

The craftsmen remove all vin stickers and Vin plates on the vehicle and recreate a new vin that will contain the last 6 digits of the original document, while leaving the first 10digits of your vehicle alone.

They go as far as removing the vehicles Windshield to replace plates, and cutting of engraved Vin on frame. In some cases they leave the frame blank, in other cases they engrave new Vin numbers to match document.

At the end of this procedure the vin would look something like this. 1234567890181920.

This is correct and I have seen this exact script play out. I was trying to determine service records for a 2003 tundra using VIN, I sent the vin to Carguide, only for him to tell me there were mistakes, I took a pic of the vin sticker and sent to him, and he said it was still wrong, I looked closely and realised the vin stickers were too new for a 2003 vehicle.

Finally found the original vin of vehicle on the transmission (Vin tag) nice one consumerprotect.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by jarkbauer: 6:08am On Jun 25, 2019
I think you can also get the VIN through the OBD2 scanner. Can they change that too?
Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:01am On Jun 25, 2019
jarkbauer:
I think you can also get the VIN through the OBD2 scanner. Can they change that too?

correct for some vehicles, but not all.
Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by ehissi(m): 7:17am On Jun 25, 2019
Chissooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with these custom people in this country, I cannot understand, I cannot............

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by johnabraham: 10:32pm On Jun 25, 2019
Won't they face issues while registering vehicle here in lagos? Because data base cannot register 2 vehicles with same vin

[quote author=Consumerprotect post=79639776]
Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by AUTOCRATIC(m): 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
This information is 100 percent true.. I have seen this, not what I was told. I will advice all car dealers here to stop given out their vehicle custom verification number,if need be, follow the buyer to custom office and do the verification in your presence and get your document back. Some buyers will request for that for their ulterior motives. Shine your eyes and check all available places for vin number verification.
Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by GURION: 7:52am On Aug 25, 2019
Consumerprotect:

Here is one of the ways.

Tnx.
Waiting for update on more methods.
Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by computerglobal(m): 7:53am On Aug 25, 2019
Good topic
Re: Identity Theft And Vehicle Smuggling (cotonu Vehicles) by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:08am On Aug 25, 2019
johnabraham:
Won't they face issues while registering vehicle here in lagos? Because data base cannot register 2 vehicles with same vin

our registrations are not full proof, 5 can be switched to S and I to 1 or l(L) for modifications that will go in noticed by the system.

(1) (Reply)

######## Clean 016/2017 Mercedes Benz GLC 300 Sport Dynamic...price 23.8m Asking / SOLD....Tin-can Cleared 2007 Toyota Corolla Silver Color / All sold!!2 Units Toks Toyota Camry Le (red Color ) 2.2m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.