Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,399 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin (1513 Views)

Itsekiri's Olu Tussle: Oyowoli Emiko Takes Omo-Oba Tsola Emiko To Court / Monarch To Igbos: Stop Blaming Hausa/fulani, Yoruba For Your Woes. / Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Pearlyakin(m): 4:11pm On Jun 28, 2019
Hello good people of nairaland forum, well i saw this article and i decide to share it with people here, though it is very long but please endeavor to read it finish because it is highly educative for us.

The Yoruba are a fastidious, critical and discerning people. They will not do anything in politics merely to oblige a fellow Yoruba. If the Yoruba-man is satisfied that your policy is good and will serve his self-interest, he will support you no matter from which ethnic group you hail ( Quote from the sage Obafemi Awolowo – The Autobiography of Chief Obafemi Awolowo - pg. 263).

Ethnic sentiments for leadership work fine among the Igbos and the Fulani. It is far from the case among the Yoruba people. It doesn’t always follow that your kinsman would do a better job at protecting you. If it was so, Yoruba people would be better off as their kinsman ruled the country for more years than any other head of state. Yoruba people hate tyranny and autocratic rule since days of old. That is why they are always the most critical of military rule….. they will do anything to break free from monarchs with tendencies of autocracy and this sometimes means seeking alliance from outside.
An interesting example is the old Ilorin Emirate
One of the most misunderstood Yoruba leaders were the generals in the Ilorin army after the fall of Afonja. They were usually seen as traitors that worked with futa Jalon to annex Yorubaland into the Sokoto Caliphate. This is far from the truth as the emir of Iorin was not in charge like the other emirs in the Sokoto caliphate. These Yoruba generals never jeopardized Yoruba interests in Ilorin and their brothers called on them during civil wars in other parts of Yorubaland. Majority of the generals including the Onikoyi broke ties from Alaafin at the time and not only the generals at Ilorin….
after the death of Abiodun, the generals did not want an all powerful Alaafin with tendencies to be an autocrat and this was one of the reasons they betrayed Alaafin Aole in battle, the tension only eased after the generals were assured of freedom from politics and royal influences to carry out their campaigns. This structure in Ibadan and Ijaye assuring generals of reasonable freedom to carry out their campaigns was the same structure at Ilorin. It created a platform for Yoruba generals to thrive without fear of an autocratic leader cutting them short in their prime.
Ilorin emirate had four powerful generals. These were Balogun Yoruba, Balogun Ajikobi, Balogun Gambari and Balogun Alamanu. Of these generals two were Yoruba ( Balogun Yoruba and Balogun Alamanu). Although the emir was the leader of Ilorin, he had no power over the Baloguns. The Baloguns divided the factions of the cities and ruled their factions as defato rulers. They had their private armies and could go to war….. usually, they gave a fifth of their booties from war to the Emir, that was about the only obligation they gave to him. In their factions, they had vast plantations and markets. The emir could not influence decisions in the regions under any Balogun and he actually lived in fear of them. Yoruba people in Ilorin lived under the protetions of Balogun Alamanu and Balogun Yoruba. The emir had no power over them and these Baloguns never for once betrayed their people under their protection.
The Yoruba leaders insisted on a structure that protected all people, especially the many Hausa people who fled from their ancestral homes where Fulani empire enslaved them to the safe sanctuaries of Ilorin under a Hausa Balogun called Balogun Gambari. Through this confederate system, the only legendary Hausa general in the 1800’s was Balogun Karara of Ilorin. He launched many invasions into the South west and annexed many colonies to his faction at Ilorin. He led successful invasions into Offa and captured Ibolo lands. Much later, he moved his base to Offa from where he launched many other invasions.
Karara at his time was the most feared man at Ilorin by the emir. He had a great resentment for what the Fuani did to his people and put the frustration on Emir Aliu (1866 – 1891). He openly cursed him in his royal courts and swore to one day invade his palace and disgrace him. When Emir Aliu died, Karaka took one of his leutenants and insisted that he would be the next Emir. His name was Moma. He marched into the palace with a large army and threatened a civil war if Moma was not crowned emir.
In spite of his immense power, the most powerful of the generals was Balogun Alanamu Inakoju. He did not bother himself with the emirate and was more interested in Yoruba politics. The situation changed when the British arrived. To impose indirect rule, they had to elevevate the powers of many of the kings to that of near dictators. They wanted the kings to be vassals of England with unlimited powers to enforce laws in every part of the colony. Moma embraced this ideal in a desperate attempt to further strengthen the emirate of Ilorin which would grant him the much-desired power over his generals.
He worked with the British to restrict the Baloguns from going to war and had some vassal states of Ekiti freed from the tributes it paid to one of the Baloguns.
On September 5 1895, Balogun Inakoju marched an army into the palace and had Moma killed in a palace coup. He put in his place a puppet emir by the name Sulemanu.
That indeed was how weak the emirate was. One out of four Balogun generals who felt he has had enough could simply march an army into the capital and sack the government to put in his place a new one that he could control. The Emir were so fearful of the Yoruba Baloguns especially that they desperately did all they could to integrate into Yoruba people to seek further acceptance. Many of them and Fulani people even took on Yoruba names. Examples include Current Emir Ibrahim Kolapo and Tunde Idi Agbon of Ilorin was of Fulani ancestry. This was a unique exception of a people who were so proud of their foreign ancestry and supremacy over the Hausas.

3 Likes

Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Donald95(m): 10:00pm On Oct 19, 2019
they will do anything to break free from monarchs with tendencies of autocracy and this sometimes means seeking alliance from outside.
An interesting example is the old Ilorin Emirate
One of the most misunderstood Yoruba leaders were the generals in the Ilorin army after the fall of Afonja. They were usually seen as traitors that worked with futa Jalon to annex Yorubaland into the Sokoto Caliphate. This is far from the truth as the emir of Iorin was not in charge like the other emirs in the Sokoto caliphate

You are miseducating people my brother. Read and Learn, it will help you grow.

https://www.nairaland.com/5261015/history-afonja-alaafin-aole-curse

1 Like

Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Olu317(m): 6:30am On Oct 20, 2019
Donald95:

You are miseducating people my brother. Read and Learn, it will help you grow.

You are indeed a funny person because the reference of yours is not the truth. For instance, Abdusalam was never seen as an outsider nor a king but a cleric teacher, who never pledged alliance to Sokoto.

1 Like

Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Donald95(m): 7:11am On Oct 20, 2019
Olu317:
You are indeed a funny person because the reference of yours is not the truth. For instance, Abdusalam was never seen as an outsider nor a king but a cleric teacher, who never pledged alliance to Sokoto.

Stop reading history written by Thiefnibu. Read the true history here

Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Olu317(m): 10:51pm On Oct 21, 2019
Donald95:

Are you for real? grin cheesy. You are a joke!
Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Olu317(m): 11:09pm On Oct 21, 2019
Donald95:

Just look at a Yoruba man who doesn't know the actual history and the people who are Ilorin indigene. You see People like you remained the reason Yoruba's history is being mocked. Please, go read, ‘Ilorin –The journey So Far', BY L.A.K. Jimoh.

This alone will let you see the lineages who made up Ilorin,so that you will realise,that the change of power were just out of rebellious action by some element among the Yorubas of Ilorin who knew Afonja as a man warlord,while he was never ready to be a Muslim and after his death, they thought Islam will give them victory over Yoruba towns seen as idolaters until they were defeated in 1840 by Yoruba's, who were led by Ibadan warriors . History, has it that at first, Olu Ilorin was the identity of the ruler of Ilorin before the title was changed in 1980s when the reigning Emir was installed,which shows that the Ilorin hierarchy was not tampered with by any outsider or Sokoto caliphate. After all Balogun position doesn't exist in Caliphate warrior ranks. Interestingly, Islam had existed in Yoruba land since 14th Century before the revolution of Uthman Dan Fodio , yet Yoruba didn't see it as a religion that was better to Ifaodu religion. As at today, Ilorin people still engaged in day to day herbology and usage as other Yoruba towns do.

The point is,that you should stop portraying Ilorin as an out caste in Yoruba land because it ia not so. Ilorin only accepted Islam as an alternative to Ifaodu out of Ignorance. Part of Ifaodu is what ancient Arab,who brought Islam calls Ilm Al-raml. In doubt, In sha Allah is the same as ni ashe Ela .The word Ella is an ancient Hebrew word for God,in the same.manner as Yoruba's. My question to you is, who are the owner of God in the context of religion if not Yoruba people ? . grin grin

1 Like

Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Donald95(m): 8:23am On Oct 22, 2019
Olu317:
Just look at a Yoruba man who doesn't know the actual history and the people who are Ilorin indigene. You see People like you remained the reason Yoruba's history is being mocked. Please, go read, ‘Ilorin –The journey So Far', BY L.A.K. Jimoh.

This alone will let you see the lineages who made up Ilorin,so that you will realise,that the change of power were just out of rebellious action by some element among the Yorubas of Ilorin who knew Afonja as a man warlord,while he was never ready to be a Muslim and after his death, they thought Islam will give them victory over Yoruba towns seen as idolaters until they were defeated in 1840 by Yoruba's, who were led by Ibadan warriors . History, has it that at first, Olu Ilorin was the identity of the ruler of Ilorin before the title was changed in 1980s when the reigning Emir was installed,which shows that the Ilorin hierarchy was not tampered with by any outsider or Sokoto caliphate. After all Balogun position doesn't exist in Caliphate warrior ranks. Interestingly, Islam had existed in Yoruba land since 14th Century before the revolution of Uthman Dan Fodio , yet Yoruba didn't see it as a religion that was better to Ifaodu religion. As at today, Ilorin people still engaged in day to day herbology and usage as other Yoruba towns do.

The point is,that you should stop portraying Ilorin as an out caste in Yoruba land because it ia not so. Ilorin only accepted Islam as an alternative to Ifaodu out of Ignorance. Part of Ifaodu is what ancient Arab,who brought Islam calls Ilm Al-raml. In doubt, In sha Allah is the same as ni ashe Ela .The word Ella is an ancient Hebrew word for God,in the same.manner as Yoruba's. My question to you is, who are the owner of God in the context of religion if not Yoruba people ? . grin grin

Lol. I am not Ya-riba, I am Igbo.

I don't think you know me yet
Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Olu317(m): 11:56am On Oct 22, 2019
Donald95:

Lol. I am not Ya-riba, I am Igbo.

I don't think you know me yet
Now,I know you because you are actually known as ‘nye mu mmiri' , which became contracted to Yinmirin~ grin

1 Like

Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Donald95(m): 3:46pm On Oct 22, 2019
Olu317:
Now,I know you because you are actually known as ‘nye mu mmiri' , which became contracted to Yinmirin~ grin

At least Nye mu mmiri (give me water) is Igbo sentence and Was used by Ndị Igbo during the Biafra war to ask nigerian soldiers for water and today, we are not answering to such.

Not Ya-riba people that accepted a mockery name with happiness tongue
Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 4:16pm On Oct 22, 2019
Donald95:

At least Nye mu mmiri (give me water) is Igbo sentence and Was used by Ndị Igbo during the Biafra war to ask nigerian soldiers for water and today, we are not answering to such.

Yoruba mean YO RU EBO... you'll make a sacrifice, that's the first thing obatala did, and the yoruba settlers do make sacrifice to inquire from the gods

Since you believe ffk without doing research, then you should believe me if I say igbo means igbo (bush) (weed) (to know someone with your head). We gave you the name, don't say you've been answering the name before I gave you, the southwestern people have been known as yoruba before they came in contact with the fulanis which is late 18th century and early 19th century
Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Olu317(m): 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2019
Donald95:

Show me in the Hausa lexicon where, ‘Yaribawa' is stated as meaning, ‘Deceit'? Here you are fuming as if you know it but you know nada on this subject matter. Funny enough, Yaudara and ru ɗi (noun)are used interchangeably for ‘deceit' grin cheesy. Ignorance is not just a disease, but a pandemic of it. So,continue feel pathetic about what you don't have knowledge on.
Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Donald95(m): 6:10am On Oct 23, 2019
JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI:

Yoruba mean YO RU EBO... you'll make a sacrifice, that's the first thing obatala did, and the yoruba settlers do make sacrifice to inquire from the gods

Since you believe ffk without doing research, then you should believe me if I say igbo means igbo (bush) (weed) (to know someone with your head). We gave you the name, don't say you've been answering the name before I gave you, the southwestern people have been known as yoruba before they came in contact with the fulanis which is late 18th century and early 19th century
Olu317:
Show me in the Hausa lexicon where, ‘Yaribawa' is stated as meaning, ‘Deceit'? Here you are fuming as if you know it but you know nada on this subject matter. Funny enough, Yaudara and ru ɗi (noun)are used interchangeably for ‘deceit' grin cheesy. Ignorance is not just a disease, but a pandemic of it. So,continue feel pathetic about what you don't have knowledge on.

I hope you Ya-raba people accept the truth

Re: Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin by Olu317(m): 7:08am On Oct 23, 2019
Donald95:

I hope you Ra-raba people accept the truth
Just look at this clown going to seek interpretation of the meaning of ‘Yoruba' with empty rhetoric without evidence from English translator. Obviously, I am done with you because you're as ignorant as others whose views are based on assumption. Therefore continue in your ways grin cheesy .

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Men And Their Secret Sons / Asylum Seeker(uncovered ) / What Is The Secret Of Nigerians Why They Are The Happiest Man On Earth?:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.