Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,670 members, 7,955,439 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:54 AM

Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold (1479 Views)

Okagbare Wins Commonwealth Women 200m Gold / Blessings Okagbare 's 100m Women's Final / Blessing Okagbare In The 100m Women's Final! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by kokoye(m): 10:00pm On Oct 07, 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9070902.stm

". . . . .Australia's Sally Pearson won the women's 100m but was disqualified after a protest over her false start. The complaint was made by the England team which resulted in Katherine Endacott of Plymouth promoted from fourth to bronze position. Nigeria's Osayemi Oludamola was declared the gold medal winner, while St Vincent and the Grenadines athlete Natasha Mayers took silver after the Australia team failed with their counter-appeal. Pearson in tears over 100m disqualification. "I was told I was in the clear," said a tearful Pearson, who will compete in her favoured event, the 100m hurdles, in two days. . . . "
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by Sagamite(m): 10:50pm On Oct 07, 2010
The Australian girl is the true champion.

She ran faster. This is not how I want to win Gold.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by Litmus: 12:26am On Oct 08, 2010
The Nigerian girl who slipped in the semi finals (block fault ?) might have won the gold. A similar incident probably robbed Brit,  Lewis-Francis, gold in the I00m finals.

Incidentally, with these technical faults, collapsing buildings , and - possibly - food  poisoning weakening athletes in India, it is a wonder  India has not come in for the scathing, hysterical soul destroying criticisms that  might have followed if it had been Nigeria overseeing such disastrous games.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by afrodoc(m): 1:18am On Oct 08, 2010
@sagamite: d aussie finished first because she started first,ILLEGALLY! She beat d gun! So i dont see how u can say she was d true champion.in sports u compete ACCORDING TO THE RULES! Dt means no drugs,no false starts! Our gal deserves her gold
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by Sagamite(m): 1:40am On Oct 08, 2010
afrodoc:

@sagamite: d aussie finished first because she started first,ILLEGALLY! She beat d gun! So i dont see how u can say she was d true champion.in sports u compete ACCORDING TO THE     RULES! Dt means no drugs,no false starts! Our gal deserves her gold

Nope!

She started at the same time as EVERYBODY.

The false start she was disqualified for was for the cancelled FIRST ATTEMPT of the final when the referees called everyone back and restarted the race she then won at the SECOND ATTEMPT.

Somehow the RULES penalised her for that first false start.

The rules are the rules BUT it is still clear she was the faster sprinter in a race where no one had an advantage, we all saw the race, she dusted everyone.

I would rather we win gold with our girl dusting everyone clean. To me, this was a technical win, not a physical win.
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by medjai(m): 1:16pm On Oct 08, 2010
There's nothing to celebrate. 11.32 seconds is way too slow
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by Sagamite(m): 1:25pm On Oct 08, 2010
medjai:

There's nothing to celebrate. 11.32 seconds is way too slow

Thank God she is not our number one sprinter. That is Okagbare.

What happened to her?
Re: Damola Osayomi Wins Commonwealth 100m Women Gold by Sagamite(m): 2:12pm On Oct 08, 2010
Nigeria is really a sick country.

You look at that Abugan and look at Botswana's Montsho. They both look of the same age bracket, yet Montsho is 27 whilst Abugan is 19.  undecided

Thank God this is not an age grade competition, but one can just imagine the wonders we do at age grade atheletics competitions.

(1) (Reply)

5 Nigerian Players To Watch At U-20 / U20 African Cup Final: Nigeria Vs Cameroon Live / Which African Country Has Achieved Most In Football?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.