Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA (4728 Views)

Abomination! Beyonce Starts Her Own Church Called "The National Church Of Bey / COZA Pastor: Ese Walter Reacts To Current Alleged Sex Scandal / Ese Walter Of COZA Sex Scandal Separates From Husband (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by landmark86: 2:17pm On Jun 30, 2019
The Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA) is absolutely one of the most talked churches in Nigeria.

It has been hit with many scandals and stories about the founder's lavish lifestyle. Still, it has managed not to lose its shine.

Instead, it has succeeded in growing into a megachurch with a huge following.

Thus, it only makes sense that we shed some light on this fascinating place of worship.

Here are five interesting things that make this vibrant church stand out.

1. It started from humble beginnings:
Looking at the COZA of today, it's kind of hard to imagine it being small, but it started out that way. One thing I know for sure is that it started in Ilorin, Kwara State in 1999. However, there is some confusion about the exact origin story. One source says that COZA started with 15 people, then moved to a place rented for N350 rent. This reportedly according to according to Rev. Biodun & Pst. Modele Fatoyinbo.

Another source (a COZA member) says differently. She says that the church started at the Stella Obasanjo Hall in Ilorin, while the family lived in a one room apartment. Regardless of the differences, one thing is sure which is that COZA started small in 1999. From a small opening in Ilorin, it has grown to over 20,000 members at the various branches and attracted a growing number of followers online.

2. COZA has only 5 branches and four pastors:
For a church that has been around for over 17 years, one would think that the church would have a lot of branches and pastors. Surprisingly, this is not the case. So far, COZA has just five branches; one in Ilorin, then Abuja in 2008, a Lagos branch in 2012, a Port Harcourt branch in 2016 and finally another in Dubai, which started this year. Another plot twist is that there are only ordained 4 full-time pastors. Rev. Biodun Fatoyinbo mans the Head Quarters in Abuja with his wife, Pastor Modele Fatoyinbo, popularly called Mummy D. He also pays a weekly visit to the Dubai branch.

Pastor Folarin “Flow” Ogunsola is the resident pastor in Lagos while Pastor Wole Soetan mans the PH branch. Pastor Kenneth Habuh-Rajan takes care of the Ilorin branch. This is a shocker because a lot of churches are known for having loads of branches.

3. Youths love this church: While other churches are complaining that the young people are leaving, COZA is filled with them. A source called it the perfect place for youth. In her words, "The church understands the need for members to be able to have fun in church so they don’t get bored and turn to secular forms of entertainment. This informs the kind of music played and performed in COZA as well as the general ambience of the church."

Another reason why this is a perfect place of worship for young people is because of the dress code. In the words of my source, "COZA members are known to dress very well both in church and outside because they believe that, while God looks at the heart, men look at the outward appearance to judge. The excellent and trendy outfits are also a strategy to show that being a Christian is not an excuse for being boring."

4. The sermons are so motivational:
I looked up some of Rev. sermons and I have to say that they are quite good. They are so good that make for nice motivational quotes.

My source agrees with me saying, "The messages preached in COZA are not high sounding sermons that confuse the hearers, rather they are filled with practical keys that can be used to better daily life."

5. COZA members reflect the motto of the church:
COZA's motto is 'the wealthy place.' This is reflected in the members, little wonder the founder is known as one of the most stylish pastors in Nigeria. My source adds that "Most COZA members reflect the same persona inside the church as they do outside because COZA is more than a church, it’s a lifestyle."

With all of the above, it is clear that COZA is an interesting church that is here to stay.

https://www.pulse.ng/coza-5-interesting-things-that-make-this-vibrant-church-stand-out/3ygrwml

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by landmark86: 2:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
More

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Righteousness89(m): 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2019
landmark86:
The Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA) is absolutely one of the most talked churches in Nigeria.

It has been hit with many scandals and stories about the founder's lavish lifestyle. Still, it has managed not to lose its shine.

Instead, it has succeeded in growing into a megachurch with a huge following.

Thus, it only makes sense that we shed some light on this fascinating place of worship.

Here are five interesting things that make this vibrant church stand out.

1. It started from humble beginnings:
Looking at the COZA of today, it's kind of hard to imagine it being small, but it started out that way. One thing I know for sure is that it started in Ilorin, Kwara State in 1999. However, there is some confusion about the exact origin story. One source says that COZA started with 15 people, then moved to a place rented for N350 rent. This reportedly according to according to Rev. Biodun & Pst. Modele Fatoyinbo.

Another source (a COZA member) says differently. She says that the church started at the Stella Obasanjo Hall in Ilorin, while the family lived in a one room apartment. Regardless of the differences, one thing is sure which is that COZA started small in 1999. From a small opening in Ilorin, it has grown to over 20,000 members at the various branches and attracted a growing number of followers online.

2. COZA has only 5 branches and four pastors:
For a church that has been around for over 17 years, one would think that the church would have a lot of branches and pastors. Surprisingly, this is not the case. So far, COZA has just five branches; one in Ilorin, then Abuja in 2008, a Lagos branch in 2012, a Port Harcourt branch in 2016 and finally another in Dubai, which started this year. Another plot twist is that there are only ordained 4 full-time pastors. Rev. Biodun Fatoyinbo mans the Head Quarters in Abuja with his wife, Pastor Modele Fatoyinbo, popularly called Mummy D. He also pays a weekly visit to the Dubai branch.

Pastor Folarin “Flow” Ogunsola is the resident pastor in Lagos while Pastor Wole Soetan mans the PH branch. Pastor Kenneth Habuh-Rajan takes care of the Ilorin branch. This is a shocker because a lot of churches are known for having loads of branches.

3. Youths love this church: While other churches are complaining that the young people are leaving, COZA is filled with them. A source called it the perfect place for youth. In her words, "The church understands the need for members to be able to have fun in church so they don’t get bored and turn to secular forms of entertainment. This informs the kind of music played and performed in COZA as well as the general ambience of the church."

Another reason why this is a perfect place of worship for young people is because of the dress code. In the words of my source, "COZA members are known to dress very well both in church and outside because they believe that, while God looks at the heart, men look at the outward appearance to judge. The excellent and trendy outfits are also a strategy to show that being a Christian is not an excuse for being boring."

4. The sermons are so motivational:
I looked up some of Rev. sermons and I have to say that they are quite good. They are so good that make for nice motivational quotes.

My source agrees with me saying, "The messages preached in COZA are not high sounding sermons that confuse the hearers, rather they are filled with practical keys that can be used to better daily life."

5. COZA members reflect the motto of the church:
COZA's motto is 'the wealthy place.' This is reflected in the members, little wonder the founder is known as one of the most stylish pastors in Nigeria. My source adds that "Most COZA members reflect the same persona inside the church as they do outside because COZA is more than a church, it’s a lifestyle."

With all of the above, it is clear that COZA is an interesting church that is here to stay.

https://www.pulse.ng/coza-5-interesting-things-that-make-this-vibrant-church-stand-out/3ygrwml

A Church Being Motivational and Intresting is not the Reason JESUS CHRIST Died on the Cross..

The Church is the Body of Christ that is meant to Draw people to Salvation through JESUS CHRIST. That's the Primary Focus of a Church...

The Church is a Place that Condemns sin and Convicts the sinner to Leave the life of sin and Embrace JESUS CHRIST..

If you are not Convinced to be Genuinely Saved Through JESUS CHRIST in a Church, then it's not a Church.. it's a Shop or Club

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by TANID(m): 2:45pm On Jun 30, 2019
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Mizwisdom(f): 2:54pm On Jun 30, 2019
He's telling people what they want to hear while living a double lifestyle, this type of pastor can't give a message on salvation, it must be about wealth, smh

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by OgogoroFreak(m): 3:06pm On Jun 30, 2019
So he attract youths and under age to his church so he can pounce on them and devour them?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Munzy14(m): 3:08pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mizwisdom:
He's telling people what they want to hear while living a double lifestyle, this type of pastor can't give a message on salvation, it must be about wealth, smh
Almost all religious preachers are on this table... No exception.
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by BiafranBushBoy: 3:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
Munzy14:

Almost all religious preachers are on this table... No exception.

Deeper life, Mountain of Fire,

All these churches don't joke with salvation...

You wonder why youths aren't flocking there?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Donald95(m): 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mizwisdom:

God's secretary I dey hail

3 Likes

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by spice123(m): 3:27pm On Jun 30, 2019
Righteousness89:

A Church Being Motivational and Intresting is not the Reason JESUS CHRIST Died on the Cross..

The Church is the Body of Christ that is meant to Draw people to Salvation through JESUS CHRIST. That's the Primary Focus of a Church...

The Church is a Place that Condemns sin and Convicts the sinner to Leave the life of sin and Embrace JESUS CHRIST..

If you are not Convinced to be Genuinely Saved in a Church, then it's not a Church..
I totally agree with you.I call these Churches hip-hop Churches.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by InansBobo(m): 5:55pm On Jun 30, 2019
True sha, I don't think any grown up who lived in the Nigeria of the 70's and 80's with the level of morality in those years will be okay with the style in coza, the coza style is actually very welcome in Europe and America though.

1 Like

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by DavidEsq(m): 6:16pm On Jun 30, 2019
spice123:
I totally agree with you.I call these Churches hip-hop Churches.
So u can understand why 2 Timothy 4:3,4 says: "For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories".

1 Like

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by ColdHeatt: 6:22pm On Jun 30, 2019
Judgment Day, with folks pleading this brand of "Godliness", will be highly interesting.
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by yomi962: 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2019
ColdHeatt:
Judgment Day, with folks pleading this brand of "Godliness", will be highly interesting.
i dey tell you bro. Plenty of them are in for a rude shock. Especially all those hypocrites, like the ones above.

1 Like

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by yomi962: 6:49pm On Jun 30, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
So he attracts youths and under age to his church so he can pounce on them and devour them?
he without sin should cast the first stone

1 Like

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by kiddoiLL(m): 7:01pm On Jun 30, 2019
Na church we dey go abi na Concert we dey go? ayam not understanding though, Jesus need to come flog so many people/leaders comot for Church like he did back then when they turned the church to a house of earning a.k.a Market place
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by OgogoroFreak(m): 7:08pm On Jun 30, 2019
yomi962:
he without sin should cast the first stone
I'm not without sin. Infact, I'm a staunch sinner that's probably going to sin again.

But the idiot that called himself "man of God" is expected to not do certain things.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by yomi962: 7:11pm On Jun 30, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
I'm not without sin. Infact, I'm a staunch sinner that's probably going to sin again.
then why judge a case you know nothing about? Because some one said? We should reason based on logic not emotions

1 Like

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Tomide007: 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2019
Great
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by OgogoroFreak(m): 7:34pm On Jun 30, 2019
yomi962:
then why judge a case you know nothing about? Because some one said? We should reason based on logic not emotions
If the pig in question wasn't a pastor, I won't judge.
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2019
Sermon should be sermon; the truth, word of God, the Good news.

It should not be motivational talks.

Broadway Christianity.
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2019
I read a book some years ago by A.W. Tozer titled "worship and entertainment" and it changed my life for ever. When you have to introduce activities into a church to make it lively, then something is fundamentally wrong. To understand this better, visit Apostle Selman's church in Zaria. You don't need drama, choreography to get hooked to God's presence. Authentic auction that sponsors deep and pure worship will make you lose track of time.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by Airoflaw(m): 8:08pm On Jun 30, 2019
Celebrate you sirs/mas

Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by salford1: 8:46pm On Jun 30, 2019
Damage control in full swing cheesy
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by micfoley: 10:21pm On Jun 30, 2019
hmmmm
Re: 5 Strange Things About The Church Called COZA by BENEFICIAL12(m): 10:39pm On Jun 30, 2019
THE CHURCH ⛪ IS BEING MADE MORE POPULAR THAN EVER...HOW I WISH ITS JUST A MERE ALLEGATION AGAINST THE PASTOR

(1) (Reply)

Some Common Misconceptions About Islam / Random Chance Does Not Do Mathematical Equations / What's That Thing Said By The Preacher That Compelled You To Repent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.