Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed (3420 Views)

Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) / The Saddest Truth About Smart People / WAEC Result: I'm Disappointed With This Grammar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2019
Yes, I’m disappointed. sad

I don’t mean to be contemptuous, but blame Nigeria we are in today.

What have you been doing? Where are you now, exactly?

I really want to know what you have done and capable of. What would be your worth if you got stranded on an island with no clothes on?
If you are left with a billion dollars on an island, how would you survive?
Snap! If you don’t know how to make fire, you will suffer. You might have to turn your cash into burnable materials. Or lay them on the ground to sleep.

No money in this world would save you!

If you can’t make something out of anything, you are several miles away from the value I’m talking about.

PS: This is not about undervaluing the importance of money. It’s a hint to let you know you can’t buy your way with money for EVERYTHING.

I have a question sir: What is “Something out of nothing”?

Me: Talk about some of our parents who raised us well without going to school. How would it have been for us if they were nonchalant like today’s millennials? They didn’t struggle to fit into the corporate space. They had one goal – To give us a better future. Even with the hardship and bad government, no excuse still. They believed in the future they couldn’t imagine.

How selfish and ungrateful of you not to consider your own kids too? Money must be made, money must be made is what you say every time. Yet, you remain helpless in the face of the government.

Once again sir, what is something out of nothing?

Me: Talk about people begging you to take their money - You are so indispensable. - People
want to work with you 80% of the time – Your brain is better to leverage than a written CV. With just your brain and people to see, you can create value from thin air.

In Nigeria today, a lot of people have money but no value. That’s why you see people going broke overnight and not getting back up. I don’t know about village people, but value? NO!

How did we come to this?

The answer is simple! We were given an assurance of a good future after accomplishing a task (school). Now, Amaka has disappointed us.
We have a lot of people trying to fit into the corporate space, and still struggling.

It takes intelligence to understand that one can preach the importance of something else without devaluing the other. Schooling is important but it’s a means to an end.

How does this help you?

3 Likes

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by Harlem2(m): 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2019
In Nigeria today, a lot of people have money but no value. That’s why you see people going broke overnight and not getting back up. I don’t know about village people, but value? NO!

This is one of the main reason when people praise fraudsters I just take a deep breath
cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2019
Learn a skill. It’s that simple!

Lack of skills is a major cause of corruption. The importance of skills acquisition in Nigeria cannot be overemphasized. And for Nigeria to be economically self-reliant, we must encourage the youth to embrace self-employment through skills acquisition, self-reliance, and financial literacy.

Nigeria is one of the countries in the world that has a very low penetration strategy for educating its citizens. Too many languages and vague beliefs. We are still holding on to fruitless pasts that have done nothing but shaped our decisions badly. We have old leaders who are not just greedy but ignorant in many aspects of running a modern society.

We also have youths who have a poor attitude to learning and taking action. They complain every day about how bad our country is but NEVER help their own situations.

Those with the right skills are falling behind in nibbling opportunities as they
come. Those without keep looking to the future and not seeing how their circumstances will improve. This polarization that is playing out in front of our eyes is not good for this country.

We need an aggressive workforce development to address the widening gap between the Haves and the Have Nots.
Now is the time for you to be responsive and responsible!

What steps have you taken to be a person of value?

First of all, let’s take a quick dive into your mind as a Nigerian youth. You need money (for upkeep, to invest, to start a project, to impress, to meet up, to fund a business, to grow your business, to buy equipment, to fund education or to travel). There are countless reasons we need money.

• I assume you are a graduate who has no skill but you pride so much on your poor CV.
• I assume you are an individual looking for capital to start a business with no plan for expansion.
• I assume you are a freelancer, working on projects to projects with no real plan on personal branding and making more money while sleeping.
• I assume you are into betting with more losses than wins.
• I assume you are hoping to be the next Instagram comedy sensation.
• I assume you are seriously planning to travel out, possibly with no purpose on another man’s land.
• Finally, I assume you are a student who is studying a course of poor interest but still wasting time on social media.

Imagine a hub that's going to be a platform to help you identify, clarify and finesse your skills. A hub that's going to give you an identity you never had as a person or business owner.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by Amazingman(m): 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2019
Brother, please stop smoking weed especially under the sun. It doesn't suit ur blood system please.

1 Like

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 5:01pm On Jul 02, 2019
Finesse Hub gives you EVERYTHING You need to identify, expand, and network your skills Online/Offline! The hub is for passionate individuals, business owners and action takers.

Do I have to pay?

No, It’s FREE

Join the hub on telegram

@finessehub

BACK TO THE BASICS

Life Zones

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 5:03pm On Jul 02, 2019
COMFORT ZONE

“Comfort is your biggest trap and coming out of comfort zone is your biggest challenge.”
When in your comfort zone, you don’t want anything to change. Leaving this zone can be hard but it’s achievable with the right focus, creativity, pace, and drive.

How do you overcome comfort zone?

• Switch up your routine.
• Try something new until you feel comfortable.
• Take nothing for granted.
• Move toward your FEAR

FEAR ZONE

When we decide to step outside of our comfort zone, the next uncomfortable zone is FEAR.
Afraid because of

• embarrassment or ridicule?
• rejection and criticism of any kind?
• loss of respect or esteem of others?

Fear is a natural and essential part of growth. It can also be a major barrier avoiding you from getting stuff done. It’s OK to be in this zone, but it’s bad to be comfortable with it.

How do you overcome fear zone?
Face it! Nothing more.

LEARNING ZONE

Ok, you are in this zone. Have you considered learning how to learn? Even if you're excited about the skill, figuring out how to learn the skill effectively can be a challenge.

"It's very valuable to learn more about how your brain operates because then you can use it more effectively; it becomes a more effective tool."
If you are busy doing, doing and doing – Take a step back to evaluate your method of learning. Is there any way I can faster and smarter? I bet there is!

How to learn effectively?

• Learn how to use google effectively.
• Eliminate distractions
• Use a bullet journal
• Join a community of like-minded professionals (E.g. Finesse Hub)
• Meditate

GROWTH ZONE

You are a successful individual or business. But you need professional support and the confidence to expand.
Do you have a growth plan? An action plan based on awareness, values, goal-setting? If you're doing that right now -- perfect.
And if you aren’t, now is the time!

1 Like

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 5:05pm On Jul 02, 2019
UNLEARNING TO LEARN

Learning might seem like a simple equation.

You take your current level of knowledge. Then you add new knowledge. As a result, your level of knowledge rises. You have learned something new.

Current Knowledge + New Knowledge = Learning

This is how we usually think about learning and growth, at least. Whether it’s a new skill, a or a new technique, we think it’s always about adding something new.

Learning isn’t the only form of learning. Unlearning is learning, too.
Time to unlearn everything you know. You are about to get a new perspective of the talent world. No more throttling on what's working for the "crowd".

In order to achieve mental clarity, you need to organize your S.W.O.T, at least for now.

1 Like

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 5:07pm On Jul 02, 2019
What is S.W.O.T?

Simple!

S= Strengths
W= Weaknesses O = Opportunities T= Threats

STRENGTH
• What do you do better than anyone else?
• What advantages does your organization have?
• What resources do you have that others don’t?
• What do people around you or in your market see as your strengths?

WEAKNESSES
• What could you improve?
• What should you avoid?
• What do people around you or in your market likely to see as weaknesses?
• What’s stopping you from scaling?

OPPORTUNITIES
• What good opportunities can you spot? Finesse Hub? smiley
• What interesting trends are you aware of?

THREATS
• What obstacles do you face? Finance? Resources?
• What are your competitors doing better than you?
• Is any of your weaknesses threatening your learning process or business?

Organize your SWOT, then choose a skill.

1 Like

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2019
CHOOSE A SKILL

30 Most Lucrative Skills You Can Learn Online

#1 – Learn to Code and/or IT.
#2 – SEO and/or Google Analytics.
#3 – Better Cover Letter and Resume = Better Job. #4 – Microsoft Word and/or Excel.
#5 – Learn Chinese.
#6 – Podcasting.
#7 – YouTube.
#8 – Photography.
#9 – Technical Writing
#10 – PhotoShop
#11 – Project Management
#12 – Video animation and/or Editing
#13 – Public Speaking
#14 – Personal Finance
#15 – Mac Skills
#16 – Human Resources
#17 – Microsoft Access
#18 – Math
#19 – Culinary Skills
#20 – Pet Care
#21 – WordPress
#22 – Accounting
#23 – Credit Score Repair
#24 – PowerPoint
#25 – Investing
#26 – Digital Marketing
#27 – Ethical Hacking
#28 – Copywriting
#29 – Finance and Economics
#30 – Keyboarding

Top 10 Sites for Free Online Education:

1. Coursera
2. edX
3. Khan Academy
4. Udemy
5. iTunesU Free Courses
6. MIT OpenCourseWare
7. Stanford Online
8. Codecademy
9. Open Culture Online Courses
10. TED-Ed

Top 10 Tech Skills in demand in 2019:

1. Machine Learning
2. Mobile Development
3. SEO/SEM Marketing
4. Data Visualization
5. Data Engineering
6. UI/UX Design
7. Cyber-security
8. Cloud Computing/AWS 9. Blockchain
10. IOT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 5:13pm On Jul 02, 2019
How to Learn Anything Online

First of all, you should know the challenges of learning out there.
There is a lot of BS on the internet: Anybody, I mean anybody can post anything online. That’s why it’s hard to learn without having to sieve out the best information.

Lack of discipline: The 80-20 rule. You only need a little bit of effort to make a massive impact in your life when you have the right information. That’s why it’s easier to learn passively when you are told what to do. But without discipline, nothing is going to come out of it.
What you will need

An objective: What do you want to learn and how long do you want to spend learning it?

Discipline: The importance of discipline cannot be overemphasized. You know this already.

Understand where you stand in the life zones
Now, you have to go through 3 Stages during the learning process

The absorption period: Use this stage to get a proper understanding of what you are getting yourself into. Let’s say you want to learn a skill. Know if you will be learning through videos, eBooks, articles, software, audios or mentors.

Learn from the best: You don’t want to be all over the place. There are billions of contents online with different messages, perspectives and techniques. Find a master of the skill you want to learn.

Application: It doesn’t matter what you are doing or how far you’ve gone, you have to start applying what you are absorbing in order for the knowledge to be part of your long-term memory.

The process doesn’t end here but it’s enough to get you started.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 5:14pm On Jul 02, 2019
FINAL NOTE

This is little from what you will be getting from @finessehub. We want you to be a better Nigerian, today and tomorrow.

Join the hub!
Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by Mikeidumokhai12(m): 9:17pm On Jul 02, 2019
Learn a skill.
Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 02, 2019
Learn a skill!
Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by rex444(m): 5:06am On Jul 03, 2019
I can relate, having all it takes to be somewhere better yet struggling
Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by lordizak(m): 6:59am On Jul 03, 2019
This is pure evidence that Nigeria is not the problem. OP, thanks for sharing. Youths will be talking Regina Daniels, Pastor krest etc and leaving out on the important stuff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by Raydos: 9:28am On Jul 03, 2019
I'm currently planning to learn a skill too which are Computer, Art and Keyboard/piano

Although I'm 50% Good in Keyboard but i still want to learn more, I do play keyboard in a small church in my neighborhood every Sunday and i watch YouTube videos too so as to become more perfect in some areas that i am lagging behind, But i still want to learn more!!

As for Art, I can draw so perfectly, Sometimes when people see my drawing they just tell "Look you're wasting your talent", everytime they tell me this word, it just breaks my heart cos i know it's true!!... I'm also trying to develop myself in this area, i watch a lot of YouTube videos too!!

As for computer, I just have this crazy passion to learn computer, I never learned computer but i can help you do anything, maybe not everything, but atleast 50% of things on computer

In a nut shell, unfortunately for me i don't see myself doing all these aforementioned works, Just cos I am still currently working in a steel company as a Casual and at the same time still struggling to enter school, I'm afraid that if i leave this work to learn, hunger will kill me, My dad is rich but doesn't give a fûçk about me cos he has two wives, mum is still struggling too!!

I'm just here, don't even know where my life is headed, I have a lot of talents but it's just a WASTE
Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 03, 2019
Raydos:
I'm currently planning to learn a skill too which are Computer, Art and Keyboard/piano

Although I'm 50% Good in Keyboard but i still want to learn more, I do play keyboard in a small church in my neighborhood every Sunday and i watch YouTube videos too so as to become more perfect in some areas that i am lagging behind, But i still want to learn more!!

As for Art, I can draw so perfectly, Sometimes when people see my drawing they just tell "Look you're wasting your talent", everytime they tell me this word, it just breaks my heart cos i know it's true!!... I'm also trying to develop myself in this area, i watch a lot of YouTube videos too!!

As for computer, I just have this crazy passion to learn computer, I never learned computer but i can help you do anything, maybe not everything, but atleast 50% of things on computer

In a nut shell, unfortunately for me i don't see myself doing all these aforementioned works, Just cos I am still currently working in a steel company as a Casual and at the same time still struggling to enter school, I'm afraid that if i leave this work to learn, hunger will kill me, My dad is rich but doesn't give a fûçk about me cos he has two wives, mum is still struggling too!!

I'm just here, don't even know where my life is headed, I have a lot of talents but it's just a WASTE

You want to learn 'COMPUTER' ?

You don't learn computer, you learn to do something with a computer, to use a computer program to execute some tasks.

Unless you want to just learn basic computer appreciation, or operation.

1 Like

Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by emeths: 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2019
following
Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by budaatum: 2:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
Raydos:

The computers some started with in the 80s were not as powerful as the phone you typed the above on and had far less reach. You, have access to a thousand times much more and instead of learning, you are "hunger will kill me, My dad is rich but doesn't give a fûçk about me cos he has two wives, mum is still struggling too cos I am still currently working in a steel company!!"

"It" is not a waste. You, are wasting "it", or at least, you are allowing it to be wasted. And this sort of thread is your salvation if indeed you really "want to learn", which I believe you do since you bothered to post in here. I have immense faith in you Raydos. You will not let me down. Read the thread again.
Re: Only Smart People Should Read This - I'm Disappointed by PROFLOVY(m): 9:08pm On Jul 04, 2019
Join Finesse Hub on telegram today. @finessehub
Raydos:

(1) (Reply)

Scholarships Updates 2020-2021 For International Students / 11 Things You Didn’t Know About Bbnaija’s Laycon. / REMARKABLE ANIMAL PHOTOS. STAY MOTIVATED [PHOTOS]♠️♠️♠️

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.