Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga (1378 Views)

Free New E-book On HTML And CSS / How To: Create A Simple Hover Button With Html And Css / CSS 3: The Future Of CSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 09, 2010
These 2 are very promising indeed, however, the old browsers do not support. I especially love the video and audio capabilities now present in html 5.0. The only problem i have with upgrading my sites to html 5 is because of the browser issues we have.

Their browser support are shown here http://www.deepbluesky.com/blog/-/browser-support-for-css3-and-html5_72/

Please i will love to hear your views on this.
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 09, 2010
If your browser can view html 5.0, check out this film layout http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

Some sites using html 5 can be seen on this page: http://html5tutorial.net/news/websites-using-html-5.html
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by yawatide(f): 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2010
You have 2 options:

1) Build your html5/css3 websites but such that those with older browsers will see a basic site (in other words, your site should degrade gracefully, OR

2) Sniff the browser and present a youtube-like suggestion for older browsers to go to a non html5/css3 site.

Of course, knowing me, I prefer #1. There are numerous sites that are coded with html5/css3. Remember, when the CSS-style sites first came out, it was like that. One person has to take a leap and the others will follow, to survive competition.

Here is something interesting though:
At work during our last meeting, someone came up with research that stated that browsing via mobile devices has doubled over the last 2 years and will double moving forward. Suggestion: we are first to code for mobile devices (iphone style or 320x240) before even thinking of desktops. My first reaction is to kick against this but hey, in order to remain marketable, I guess I have no choice. I remember having the same reservations about tableless-design.
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by quadrillio(m): 1:50pm On Oct 09, 2010
I ve been following d development for a while now, I even wrote something about it on my facebook some days back.

HTML5
so far, I found this website very good for anyone who want to start HTML5: http://diveintohtml5.org/

I had to bookmark most of this pages cos I find them very interesting. u might want to check them out

http://webdesignledger.com/resources/7-useful-resources-to-help-you-learn-html5

and for a list of HTML5 website, u can check: http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/55-excellent-examples-of-websites-using-html5

CSS3
many of the effect I've seen with CSS3 are javascript/jquery-like effect. (lightbox, e.t.c).many of those effects that need to combine javascript and CSS to get, u only need CSS3 to achieve it.

Conclusion
One need to start learning/Using it as fast as possible like yawa said and I quote "TO SURVIVE Competition"

- SAFE
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 09, 2010
Html5 is still not standard anyway as for css3 rules they were always around only internet explorer and opera didnt have it. But my fav is video tag and the storage stuff that caches your website like gears, css3 will save time i spend on photoshop big time.
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 09, 2010
Exactly yawatide, so to make a professional site now, we still need to make use of css 2.1 and html 4 with graceful degradation. This kinda thing is always a pain in the next. I am wondering what those cms people will have to say - for sites encoded in cms.
I have not done any website for a coupla months now (more of software programming), but the next one i will make, i will keep the html 5 thing in mind.

But it is not easy mehn, you degrade css between 3.5 and 2.1 and then html between the 2. I think the javascript will change too, now that there are new DOM objects to manipulate, but i suspect the older objects will maintain their DOM structure. I am still getting confused over the new HEADER and the older HEAD tags sef!
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 09, 2010
**Takes a sit, brings out jotter and Biro. Sipping a Bottle to Coka Cola!**
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 09, 2010
No CMS will take the risk of moving to HTML5 it can be the next big ish for it cares what people are more concerned about is compatibility thats why many are still sticking to Flash Videos html5 is future stuff.css3 is the only one used greatly since ie9 is out so meaning all modern browsers have css3. as for graceful degradtion mehn sounds like hell i'd rather make a lite version with only text too much work,
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by lojik(m): 11:08pm On Oct 09, 2010
I did my analysis of html 5 video and the widely supported and accepted flash video, i decided to continue with flash for my video and audio. I might reconsider later but at the moment, compatibility and acceptability across devices is of concern to me.
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 3:04am On Oct 10, 2010
lojik:

I did my analysis of html 5 video and the widely supported and accepted flash video, i decided to continue with flash for my video and audio. I might reconsider later but at the moment, compatibility and acceptability across devices is of concern to me.

True.

My way of managing and keeping to technology, is not makinng use of it, at it's prime. Most times, you get to rush into a[b] test version[/b] and also be the one to experience loop hole. Which in most cases could cost one a lot.

The idea of browser sniffing is fine. But in most cases, that is not always perfect. On the other hand. One can make use of a modern and past one. So if surfers find issues(Good for mostly Client side plays like this) he can switch to the old. If non, the modern's greatness can be harnessed.

In my case i wait for some months, before i adopt new technology. By then People like DHTML would have found Bug i would not need spend dayz debugging!

I guess a month will not make me outdated than my peers. This dayz, does Clients Care if na HTML 5 you use or Flash. As long as what they see is good!
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by yawatide(f): 12:39pm On Oct 10, 2010
My way of managing and keeping to technology, is not makinng use of it, at it's prime. Most times, you get to rush into a test version and also be the one to experience loop hole. Which in most cases could cost one a lot.

This summarizes it all.

Just like your web hosts will not update say, Joomla, when a new version comes out until they are comfortable that it is stable, we are not to rush into things, just because. While learning about it and knowing how to use it, we are to do just that.

What I intend to do, once I am comfortable enough in the fact that it is at least usable is carve out some space on my site and devote it to what I have learned. That way, if a recruiter asks me for proof that I know what's up, I just point them to that section of my site. It sure is better than the proverbial, waiting till you have N10m before you start building a house cool
Re: Html 5.0 And Css 3.5 Saga by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 10, 2010
i completely agree too. Nigerians are still using IE 6.0 self. . .not to talk of 9

(1) (Reply)

Problem With Web4africa.net / Drupal 7 Webmasters! Please Answer Only This One Question / I Will Add 20,000 Members To Your Facebook Group In A Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.