Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,156 members, 7,811,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria (24614 Views)

Clever Trick To Get Your Car Out Of Mud / Help Me In Choosing The Best Car Out Of These 3 Toyota's Corolla & Camry / How To Drive The 2019 G-wagon SUV Through The Mud Explained By Mercedes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Naijautonews: 9:11am On Jul 08, 2019
Being stuck in mud can be a nightmare! That is why it's wise that you know how to get your car out of mud to continue with your journey! Find out more here!
One of the worst things that can happen to a driver during the rainy season or when driving off-road is to have your car stuck in mud. Not only will your car get dirty but you'll be disorganized and trying to get out might damage some components of your vehicle.

You might misjudge how deep the muddy path is or didn't even know there was anything like that there. There's no need to dwell on how you got into the mud but rather how to get out of it. This article by Naijauto is meant to give you a thorough guide on how to get your car out of mud, so your car doesn't sink deeper and you don't end up spending the entire on one spot while making little or no progress.

With the right tools, you can get your car out of mud even with no assistance

1. Try driving backward
Once you are driving forward and your car gets stuck, don't keep trying to accelerate further. It only makes your wheels sink deeper. Let's not forget that you will keep splashing mud all over the doors, trunk, bonnet, windows, and engine of the vehicle. Therefore, what you should do immediately you notice your car can't move forward in to try reversing.

Do not turn off the engine. Simply place your gear on R and drive backwards. Perhaps the road leading to the mud is better than the one leading out of it. Hence driving in reverse should work. If you're able to move backwards for a bit and get stuck again, try forging forward at a faster acceleration. You'll likely get out of the mud and head on with your journey.

2. Provide traction for your wheels
The reason your car stays stuck is that there's no traction between the wheels and the road you're on. You need to provide some traction then.

There are gigantic thick metal wires that are sold online. You can buy those and keep in your trunk for times when you get stuck. When you tie the wire through the wheels and tyre, it creates some sort of bump when that area rotates and touches the ground. This makes your car move forward or backwards one way or the other.

Back the car up, hopefully, you undo getting stuck in mud

Other materials you can use for traction are you car floor mats, thick leaves (not grasses please), gravels or small stones and blankets. What you do is to place them close to the tyre, underneath, so your wheels can roll over them. They might get slightly sunk in the mud, but will provide traction for you to get out of that spot. If you can find a lot of these materials, you can create a path for your vehicle to drive on. When safe, you can always go back to get your mats and clean them.

3. Get people to push it for you
When you have tried the first DIY method and it doesn't work or you don't get the materials for the second, it's time to use some manpower. If you're lucky enough to be driving with some friends, they can all come out to push the vehicle backwards or forward - depending on which path gives you more traction. If you don't have passengers with you, find locals around that can help.

First of all, try to make the car lighter. There's actually a possibility you got stuck due to the weight of the car. A sedan weighs about 1,800 kg on an average while an SUV weighs about 3,000 kg. Imagine driving that with bags of rice, spare tyre, tools and even humans. It adds close to another thousand kilograms. That's why emptying the car helps. Afterwards, you can get in and have them push towards the direction with better traction. This is usually the most common way to get a car out of mud in Nigeria.

The car getting stuck is just the responsibility of all the occupants

4. Get it towed out
This is pretty much the last resort. Nigerians feel a car only gets towed when it's been involved in an accident. Well, that shouldn't always be the case. When your car is stuck in mud, you can request for a towing van to come to get it out for you. There are usually areas in the front and rear of your vehicle where they can attach their towing chain and pull your car out.

However, you will need to put your car on neutral gear and control it while it's been towed. It's really not rocket science. Simply reduce the weight as well. Alternatively, you can get another vehicle to help you tow it out. If you have a thick and strong belt or chain, you can attach it to both tyres and that should work. With all these tips on how to get your car out of mud, you should be calm when it happens as you already have the best tricks at your fingertips. However, avoid muddy areas and drive carefully when in a wet area.

8 SUVs that are perfect for rough terrain (from cheapest to most expensive): https://naijauto.com/car-buying-and-selling/suvs-for-rough-terrain-4222

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by henrixx(m): 9:32am On Jul 08, 2019
This thing happened to me on a Sunday while going to church. I want cry. Place so muddy, no one around to help Luckily I came out by putting heavy stones to enable the car move. So that's another alternative.

Putting stones on the mud to enable the car roll on

53 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:31am On Jul 08, 2019
Or get a car with AWD. wink

Increases your chances of getting out x2.

32 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 08, 2019

grin

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by chukwuemekacar: 7:48am On Dec 14, 2020
Thanks!!
henrixx:
This thing happened to me on a Sunday while going to church. I want cry. Place so muddy, no one around to help Luckily I came out by putting heavy stones to enable the car move. So that's another alternative.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 14, 2020
angry Since 2019 . Anyway our roads have gotten worse under the vegetable in aso rock

25 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by deepwater(f): 4:42pm On Dec 14, 2020
it will not work in iyana iba - volks mud!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Sonnobax15(m): 4:43pm On Dec 14, 2020
grin Once your car gets stuck in the mud,area boys go just sit down for fence dey look you because to Dem,na office be that..

Area boys dey always look forward to getting this kind opportunity because if they help you push am, something must drop

in other words,your stuck car may be a blessing in disguise to area niggas....na job opportunity op..

51 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 4:43pm On Dec 14, 2020
Since 2019!!!!

When God wan bless u, even if u nor dey online, e go reach u

Op... Which advice u go give boys wey get leggedis Benz... How do we remove our leg from the mud

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by admissionrunz: 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
Switch to D3 gear for automatic cars.

But OP all these you mentioned won't work for Aba roads, expect the pushing aspect.

19 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by SaintLucia: 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
Hope Abia people are taking this advice seriously. grin

18 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
owing vehicle nah big money.
just call more than 7 guys to help u move Ur car... with 4 abokis I think Ur car will be out in no time
Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by iheartellah(m): 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2020

grin
lolzzz cheat code grin

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Ayemileto(m): 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
grin

How do I get it out of Mud in Canada?

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Oyiboman69: 4:46pm On Dec 14, 2020
Or leave it there and head go home

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by lagusboyyy(m): 4:47pm On Dec 14, 2020
Educative.. I learnt one or two things.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by seborrhic: 4:47pm On Dec 14, 2020
More like copy and paste.
Soon as I saw buying large wires I knew it's one of these articles the Op copied and was specifically written for road users in the Western world.

7 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by AmazingELixir: 4:47pm On Dec 14, 2020
lipsrsealed

Op see dis pipu....ask them.

12 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Houseofglam7(f): 4:48pm On Dec 14, 2020
cool
Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by dasauce(m): 4:48pm On Dec 14, 2020
;D7
Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by eedimo(m): 4:48pm On Dec 14, 2020
Only in Nigeria
Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by MrImole: 4:50pm On Dec 14, 2020
Wow wow wow
Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by jmoore(m): 4:53pm On Dec 14, 2020
4 is the best.

If you allow your car to be pushed, your bumper and other parts might get damaged.

Just contact a towing van operator to do it.

Talking from experience.

4 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Karlifate: 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2020
AmazingELixir:
lipsrsealed

Op see dis pipu....ask them.

cheesy grin

Dis one don pass mud na
Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2020
i hope there will be a time in nigeria where we have good motorable roads.Its shameful when u out of nigeria thats when u know what we call roads in nigeria are just rubbish

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by eedimo(m): 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2020
henrixx:

I pity your shoe that day

5 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Decryptor(m): 4:55pm On Dec 14, 2020
All these things na long story...

If it is an automatic drive vehicle, put the gear to the lowest from D to L or 1, press the "OD (Over Drive) Button" by the side of the gear and just step and release on the accelerator pedal intermittedly as if you are pumping the vehicle lightly (don't over-rev).

If it is manual, use Gear 2 and do the same thing. If it is an SUV or SUT, engage the auxiliary gear! The vehicle must come out!

Nigerians these days just buy motor and drive round school field...daz all. No time to read the manual and check features of the vehicle.

That was how i saw one man struggling with a whole Hilux inside mud until i used that auxiliary which he never knew what it was. He said he thought it was for towing undecided

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 14, 2020
Only one option to get your car out of the mud, and it is:

* Stop voting for desperate old politicians with empty promises, otherwise, those roads will never be paved.

14 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Car Out Of Mud In Nigeria by revived: 4:58pm On Dec 14, 2020
angrySee

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today / Take A Look At These Astonishing Car Artistic Colors / Driver And Conductor Feared Dead As Trailer Loaded With Goods Falls In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.