Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Italian Govt Bids To Reward Couple Who Have A Third Child With Land Property - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Italian Govt Bids To Reward Couple Who Have A Third Child With Land Property (348 Views)

Nigerian Couple Who Lived In Empty Uncompleted Building Shares Growth / I Just Had My Third Child, Congrats To Me - Photos / I Had A Child With My Brother's Ex Wife. Please Read And Advice Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Italian Govt Bids To Reward Couple Who Have A Third Child With Land Property by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:05pm On Jul 09, 2019

Re: Italian Govt Bids To Reward Couple Who Have A Third Child With Land Property by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:15pm On Jul 09, 2019
OLAADEGBU:
Italian Govt bids to reward couple who have a third child with land property

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6337907/Italian-government-bids-reverse-plunging-birthrate-rewarding-parents-child.html

Italy plans to reward parents who have a third child by awarding them a piece of land, in bid to reverse plummeting birth rate
Last year, about 464,000 births were registered in Italy, a record low in Europe
Government will give parents agricultural land if they have a third child by 2021
Families minister says incentives will be restricted to married couples

By AFP and JOE MILLIS FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 14:53, 31 October 2018 | UPDATED: 15:40, 31 October 2018

Italy's populist government plans to reward parents who have a third child by awarding them a piece of land, in a bid to reverse the country's plummeting birth rate.

The plan, cooked up by the far-right League and included in the draft budget for next year, would see the state hand over parcels of agricultural land for 20 years to parents who have a third child between 2019 and 2021.

'They say that Italians have few children and that something is needed to turn the trend around,' said agriculture minister Gian Marco Centinaio.

'That's why the ministry wants to contribute, favouring rural areas in particular, where people still have children,' he added.

Italy has the lowest birthrate in Europe.

Last year, about 464,000 births were registered, a record low, leaving Italy with a significantly older population and a demographic time bomb.

The land-for-children idea is supported by Italy's ultra-Catholic families minister Lorenzo Fontana.

He added, however, that the incentives will be limited to married couples, rather than those in civil unions.

Political commentators said that would not be easy, as the law provides civil unions with most of the same rights as marriage.

Map reveals how rural areas across Western Europe have lost...

Italian health officials accused of racism over fertility...

Foreigners interested in the offer would need to have been resident in Italy for at least 10 years.

According to Coldiretti, the association of Italian agricultural companies, the state owns 1.2million acres of farmland worth nearly £9billion.

'Why give them away rather than sell them, particularly at a moment when all that money could go towards the government's many [and costly] pledges?' asked the Corriere della Sera daily.

Because 'for the most part, the lands are what is left at the bottom of the barrel,' it said, adding that in some cases local councils were currently having to shell out for their upkeep.

(1) (Reply)

Dear Parents........ / President Blames Explosive Birth Rate On ‘A Misreading Of Islam’ / Name Change Issue. Please Advise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.