Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,808 members, 7,831,638 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon (71248 Views)

Peak Milk Apologises To Christians Over ‘ Offensive’ Easter Advert / Photo: Man Urinating On Bible By Punch. Sensational Journalism Against Religion / Ese Walter Of COZA Sex Scandal Separates From Husband (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by abayomilaws(m): 8:14am On Jul 10, 2019
Ibusho:

What right does the editor have to paint Biodun Fatoyinbo as a bad Christian. How can you be one sided on an issue and call yourself a professional journalist. He deserves what he got, can they do that with the Quran in the face of the Alfa's molesting their students? Please think before you write.
Exactly my point, you people are making it to seem as if this cartoonist/ columnist attacked the church by that cartoon, that this notion or belief I want to clear. And if you accused the cartoonist of being biased or that he committed a reporting prejudice by siding with one party. You are right. The innuendos are for biodun fatoyinbo not for the church. Fatoyinbo has a cause of action if he has integrity to sue a great deal of people ranging from Timi, busola, and this cartoonist for libel... So don't make it a Church attack. Jerubaal- let the gods fight for themselves. Let him fight for himself to clear his name.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Psoul(m): 8:16am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:

I have never read a story where worshippers defend an Imam against a criminal act.
I can bet you that the reason these editors were sacked is that there are some fanatics
among the management, nothing to do with Nigeria being a religious country because
media houses get away with everything in Nigeria.

Bros, have u seen this picture before?
Do you know the Cartoonist?
Do you know what happened to him after the cartoon in one the best American Newspapers?
He was sacked by the Newspaper.
Read the News here: https://10daily.com.au/news/world/a190701rzbye/the-controversial-viral-trump-sketch-that-allegedly-got-cartoonist-sacked-20190701

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Psoul(m): 8:20am On Jul 10, 2019
JeromeBlack:

What happened to privacy and freedom of speech?

Freedom Of Speech is guaranteed and still very much in force, but Freedom After Speech is what I don't know ooo.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by abayomilaws(m): 8:20am On Jul 10, 2019
Duggedised12:
Did you hear what happened to the man who drew the monkey carton when prince Charles's son was born? Did you also read what happened to the canadian who drew cartoon of Donald trump and the immigrant that drowned? Now this are recent cases,that happened this year.

Lol you lots you come here ,type in the corner of your room with your false stories and spew your ignorance, sane country indeed .

You don't seem to know what "ingenious" means undecided.Let me educate you a little, do you know that in a sane country, that editor to catch a law suit from pastor fatoyinbo? Go figure.

I hope you also remember the bloodshed that happened in the northern part of this country some years ago over a cartoon that was drawn in far away Denmark? If you still think this carton was ingenious after this, then you are very dull.
Unless you are disingenuous and dull, or unless you are a bigot that is when you will fight a caricature that paints vividly the desecration of church by a charlatan that the cartoonist veritably painted well. Exactly my point, you people are making it to seem as if this cartoonist/ columnist attacked the church by that cartoon, that this notion or belief I want to clear. And if you accused the cartoonist of being biased or that he committed a reporting prejudice by siding with one party. You are right. The innuendos are for biodun fatoyinbo not for the church. Fatoyinbo has a cause of action if he has integrity to sue a great deal of people ranging from Timi, busola, and this cartoonist for libel... So don't make it a Church attack. Jerubaal- let the gods fight for themselves. Let him fight for himself to clear his name.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by abayomilaws(m): 8:21am On Jul 10, 2019
Psoul:

Do you know what happened to him after the cartoon in one the best American Newspapers?
Read the News here: https://10daily.com.au/news/world/a190701rzbye/the-controversial-viral-trump-sketch-that-allegedly-got-cartoonist-sacked-20190701
The problem is the world is full of religious bigotry.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by mapet: 8:21am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:
The Punch management are idiots.
They sacked brilliant editors because some snowflakes expressed outrage over an instructive illustration.
Shame on Punch.

My tots exactly. I don't agree with Abimbola Adelakun's write-ups many a times, but she's a brilliant and talented writer. Secondly, if we allow religious sentiments to becloud and serve as our gauge for public discourse, then we are in for another round of "slavery".

I think Punch is just trying to "protect their Garri"

2 Likes

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Duggedised12(f): 8:32am On Jul 10, 2019
abayomilaws:

Unless you are disingenuous and dull, or unless you are a bigot that is when you will fight a caricature that paints vividly the desecration of church by a charlatan that the cartoonist veritably painted well. Exactly my point, you people are making it so seem as if this cartoonist/ columnist attacked the church by that cartoon, that this notion or belief I want to clear. And if you accused the cartoonist of being biased or that he committed a reporting prejudice by siding with one party. You are right. The innuendos are for biodun fatoyinbo not for the church. Fatoyinbo has a cause of action if he has integrity to sue a great deal of people ranging from Timi, busola, and this cartoonist for libel... So don't make it a Church attack. Jerubaal- let the gods fight for themselves. Let him fight for himself to clear his name.
Did you make your research about the examples I gave or you just jumped to comment as usual? Now you said in a sane country he would not have been fired, i made you know that you were ignorant of how things truly work in sane countries.

You fit a perfect example of literate and ignorant.The bolded is the reason why I will not reply you further after this .

Now what is the first impression that comes to your mind at the first glance of the cartoon if you were not a Nigerian? A man urinating on the bible .we forget that we now live in a global village. The point is the the cartoonist actually made it an attack on the church by using the bible which is used world wide and not just in Nigeria. A person who isnt nigerian or wasnt aware of the story and doesn't know what went down will see that cartoon at the first glance and the only thing they see is a man urinating on the bible ,that is it.

I just dont know how else to cure this ignorance of yours. You are accusing fanatics of being too emotional about religion, you the exact opposite of the coin, you are not applying reason here and rationality has left you. Both you and the religious fanatics
are extreme opposites of each other. Anyway, I am done replying.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 10, 2019
joseph1832:
I didn't even need to read the entirety of the post to tell myself that, this is how it's done. People being held accountable for their actions.

This is the very reason why I support the move for social media to be regulated. By regulated I mean let's know who and who is posting what and what so who and who, can be held accountable for whatever they post.

Nowadays anybody can just post whatever for the sake of generating traffic, and it what they post is false, they go scud free because nobody knows who they are.

A regulated media is tantamount to a dystopian society, bro. Regulated media is a one of the characteristics of a dystopian society. Regulated media denotes oppression of the populace. A regulated media directly contradicts democracy, and by proxy, freedom of expression. Take away the voice of the people, and you may as well take away their freedom.

You need to read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, to fully comprehend the harmful characteristics of what you suggested.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by TemmyT002(m): 8:47am On Jul 10, 2019
That Adelakun woman has always been offensive though she makes sense sometimes.
As he is always ridiculing Christianity, Christians and God. She also has no respect for elders. She can abuse anybody.
Nonsense.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by foreshore(m): 9:17am On Jul 10, 2019
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Xisnin(m): 9:17am On Jul 10, 2019
Psoul:

It doesn't matter that a Canadian newspaper terminated a cartoonist contract.
The standard for us to follow is common sense, not Canadian, American or any
other countries improprieties.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by TommyAnthem(m): 9:20am On Jul 10, 2019
Apology accepted, we are a forgiving people.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Xisnin(m): 9:26am On Jul 10, 2019
hottathanfire:

You refused to say the truth, will the Muslims let the cartoon pass? They have killed thousands of people anywhere their faith or Quran has been mocked and that's what the guy was referring to.
You are replying out of context.
The OP I quoted was talking about defending Imam which I correctly responded that nobody
defends Imam with criminal charges like Fatoyinbo has been defended.
General Muslim response to an "offensive" cartoon is a different issue entirely.

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Psoul(m): 9:34am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:

It doesn't matter that a Canadian newspaper terminated a cartoonist contract.
The standard for us to follow is common sense, not Canadian, American or any
other countries improprieties.

Like you are disconnected from ur reasoning.
Now you talk of common sense. Doesn't common sense tell you that sacking those people may go a long way dousing the tension that insult would have created.

In your own common sense in this case, pls suggest what should have bn done than sacking those staff.

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by joseph1832(m): 10:00am On Jul 10, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

A regulated media is tantamount to a dystopian society, bro. Regulated media is a one of the characteristics of a dystopian society. Regulated media denotes oppression of the populace. A regulated media directly contradicts democracy, and by proxy, freedom of expression. Take away the voice of the people, and you may as well take away their freedom.

You need to read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, to fully comprehend the harmful characteristics of what you suggested.
Seriously? You think what we have in Nigeria is a democracy? Lol.

Beside, you missed the part where I said "by regulated, let's know who and who is saying what and what". That's what I mean by regulated social media.

I know you know, social media is full of unknown people who use it to spread unverified news in other to spread falsehood and incite the public.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Philinho(m): 10:05am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:
They sacked brilliant editors because some snowflakes expressed outrage over an instructive illustration.
Shame on Punch.
m
Just thank God for the peaceful nature of CHRISTIANITY. by now the war might have consumed you if it were to be a qoaran.

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by 9ja8528: 10:06am On Jul 10, 2019
[quote author=Kingosytex post=80106928]I just thank and appreciate the ALMIGHTY GOD for christianity.

Its a pity!! The editor deserve what he got.

Many imams and alfas have been accused of raping minors even in the mosque, so the question is:

has the editor ever used a cartoon of a man urinating on the quran to buttress his point? The answer is a NO...

That Christians are peace loving doesn't mean we are fools!!![/quote a child can only play with his mamas breast not the fathers scrotum
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by joseph1832(m): 10:07am On Jul 10, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Please try and read about sociological, legal and political concepts before you run your mouth.

When you want social media to be monitored, the question of privacy emerges. This is dealt with the Data Protection Act in English law. Do you have a robust data protection act in Nigeria to protect against invasion of privacy?

Freedom of speech is only limited by hate speech or libel or slander.

Freedom of speech does not apply to the contract between an employer and an employee. So the newspapers have every right to sack the editor.
as regard the emboldened. Sometime ago news broke out that Kiss Daniel lampooned Busola Dakolo only for Kiss Daniel to come out and refute it saying he never said so. Now the indicidual who broke that news is unknown. If Kiss Daniel wants to sue for libel, who will he sue?

My stand is social media is being used as a tool to spread falsehood in other to deceive the unsuspecting masses who swallow whatever they see without questioning the source.

Whenever an indicidual say something, let's know who he is so if what he said is false, we know who to hold responsible. Accountability for one's word is key, bro.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Xclusivedaniel6(m): 10:22am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:
Shame on Punch.

go and unsack him Mr right

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by ajebuter(f): 10:25am On Jul 10, 2019
Firefire:
How people disrespect the Holy Bible. Try that rubbish with the other ‘holy book’ and see real war & bloodletting across Nigeria.

Ordinary cartoon in Denmark about a ' religious leader' lasan lasan resulted into bloody protests worldwide killing many people..

Yet, one buffon here is saying the cartoonist should not have been sacked for skewed depiction and desecration of the Holy Bible..

Christianity is indeed about tolerance and maturity , I swear

2 Likes

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Xisnin(m): 10:40am On Jul 10, 2019
Philinho:
m
Just thank God for the peaceful nature of CHRISTIANITY. by now the war might have consumed you if it were to be a qoaran.
I don't live in a cave. There is no war over cartoons and anyone who attempt such will say goodbye to this world.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 10, 2019
joseph1832:
Seriously? You think what we have in Nigeria is a democracy? Lol.

Beside, you missed the part where I said "by regulated, let's know who and who is saying what and what". That's what I mean by regulated social media.

I know you know, social media is full of unknown people who use it to spread unverified news in other to spread falsehood and incite the public.

What we have in Nigeria is a flawed democracy whereby freedom of expression is guaranteed, but freedom after expression isn't. It's a far cry to what a real democracy ought to be. However, regulating the media will further aggravate this, and would completely eliminate the little freedom of expression we have right now.

If people's anonymity is taken away from them, only a suicidal person will come online and call out a ailing government. Unregulated social media and free press give people the opportunity to air their opinion without fear of reprisals from the government. The bolded will invariably take that away, and socio-economics and cultural issues like human right abuse will take precedence. Is that what you want? Really??

Censoring the media has no place in the 21st century. It's a tool fascist governments cynically utilize to keep their denizens in line. U.S.S.R used it, and it nearly resulted to the worst nuclear catastrophe of the modern era.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 10, 2019
joseph1832:
as regard the emboldened. Sometime ago news broke out that Kiss Daniel lampooned Busola Dakolo only for Kiss Daniel to come out and refute it saying he never said so. Now the indicidual who broke that news is unknown. If Kiss Daniel wants to sue for libel, who will he sue?

My stand is social media is being used as a tool to spread falsehood in other to deceive the unsuspecting masses who swallow whatever they see without questioning the source.

Whenever an indicidual say something, let's know who he is so if what he said is false, we know who to hold responsible. Accountability for one's word is key, bro.

Everything has it's pros and cons, but in a situation whereby the pros are greater than the cons, leaning in favor of the later will cause more harm than good. Censoring the media will not only curb the truth, but will foster propaganda in the void vacated by the truth.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Organs(m): 11:18am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:
Shame on Punch.

Get the lesson here. There are lines you dont cross. The Holy books that people believe in, the prophets, places of worship and belief system should be out of bounds for jokes. People hold these things in their heart. You dont have to believe it but at the very least, respect it.

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by joseph1832(m): 11:21am On Jul 10, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

What we have in Nigeria is a flawed democracy whereby freedom of expression is guaranteed, but freedom after expression isn't. It's a far cry to what a real democracy ought to be. However, regulating the media will further aggravate this, and would completely eliminate the little freedom of expression we have right now.

If people's anonymity is taken away from them, only a suicidal person will come online and call out a herring government. Unregulated social media and free press give people the opportunity to air their opinion without fear of reprisals from the government. The bolded will invariably take that away, and socio-economics and cultural issues like human right abuse will take precedence. Is that what you want? Really??

Censoring the media has no place in the 21st century. It's a tool fascist governments cynically utilize to bring their denizens to heel. U.S.S.R used it, and it nearly resulted to the worst nuclear catastrophe of the modern era.
now this is exactly the problem. Freedom of expression doesn't give the right to spread falsehood, lies and deceit without being held accountable, does it?

What you said in the emboldened is the very reason why falsehood aka fake news thrives today. All because of anonymity and the zeal to get traffic.

Free press is not what I'm against, hope you know in the world of journalism every journalist have ethics and codes they adhere to? Can same be said for social media? This is what I'm trying to say. Unregulated social have made many people, especially bloggers post nonsense because they want traffic.

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by joseph1832(m): 11:23am On Jul 10, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Everything has it's pros and cons, but in a situation whereby the pros are greater than the cons, leaning in favor of the later will cause more harm than good. Censoring the media will not only curb the truth, but will foster propaganda in the void vacated by the truth.
foster propaganda you say? I'm sure you don't know this present government used propaganda to get into office during the 2015 presidential election.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 10, 2019
joseph1832:
now this is exactly the problem. Freedom of expression doesn't give the right to spread falsehood, lies and deceit without being held accountable, does it?

What you said in the emboldened is the very reason why falsehood aka fake news thrives today. All because of anonymity and the zeal to get traffic

Free press is not what I'm against, hope you know in the world of journalism every journalist have ethics and codes they adhere to? Can same be said for social media? This is what I'm trying to say. Unregulated social have made many people, especially bloggers post nonsense because they want traffic.

Bro, free press and freedom of expression go hand in hand. The right to free expression is actually one of the qualities of free press. By censoring people's right to use the social media as they deem fit, you're limiting free press by proxy.

As for the bolded, there are laws set aside to tackle libels and slanders, and the last time I checked, they work just fine.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Philinho(m): 11:29am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:

I don't live in a cave. There is no war over cartoons and anyone who attempt such will say goodbye to this world.
But you were in a cafe when thousands were killed because a woman made an utterance against Mohammed.
Where were you last week when a journalist lost his in US cos. of cartoon?

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Philinho(m): 11:30am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:

But you were in a cafe when thousands were killed because a woman made an utterance against Mohammed.
Where were you last week when a journalist was sacked in the US cos of cartoon? qwuntinue

1 Like

Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 10, 2019
joseph1832:
foster propaganda you say? I'm sure you don't know this present government used propaganda to get into office during the 2015 presidential election.

All the more reason you should advocate for free press. This present government used the advantage their position gave them to mute their rivals and spread propaganda.
Re: COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon by olayinka63: 11:31am On Jul 10, 2019
Kingosytex:

<strong>Many Imams and Alfas have been accused of raping minors even inside the mosque</strong>. Why hasn't the editor ever used a cartoon of a man urinating on the quran as an illustration?

Just give example or a link to where your claim has happen. Why justifying immoral act with an excuse? Your pastor cause abuse on himself and Christianity and you are still defending his bad character. Shame on you and others above

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Noah's Ark Rebuilt & Opened For Public In Atlanta US With Its Exact Measurements / Zimbabwean Woman In White Garment Strips Unclad During The Church Rally (photos) / Freemasonry, Evil In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.