Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time (45070 Views)

Afcon Finals: Ghanaian Actor John Dumelo Apologises To Nigeria. / Mauritania Vs Algeria: AFCON 2023 (1 - 0) On 23rd January 2024 / OAU Vs UNILORIN: Hifl 2019 Finals - 0 - 0 (3 - 4 Penalties) Full Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 7:11am On Jul 13, 2019
Afcon 2019 Finals

Senegal vs Algeria:

Fri 19th july

Time: 8pm

Cairo international stadium

Senegal has qualified for the final of this year’s Africa Cup of Nations.

The Terranga Lions defeated Tunisia 1-0 in a dramatic semi-final in Sunday’s early kick-off.

Both sides missed the chance to win the game within 90minutes, as Ferjani Sassi and Henri Saivet both missed penalty kicks for their respective sides.

However, Dylan Bronn’s own goal settled the contest 11 minutes into extra time.

Senegal, who have never won the AFCON, will now take on Algeria on Friday, July 19.

2 Likes

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 1:32pm On Jul 13, 2019
The AFCON Finals
The journey so far:

1957 there were only three participating nations: Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. South Africa was originally scheduled to compete, but were disqualified due to the apartheid policies of the government then in power.[1] Since then, the tournament has grown greatly, making it necessary to hold a qualifying tournament. The number of participants in the final tournament reached 16 in 1998 (16 teams were to compete in 1996 but Nigeria withdrew, reducing the field to 15, and the same happened with Togo's withdrawal in 2010), and until 2017, the format had been unchanged, with the sixteen teams being drawn into four groups of four teams each, with the top two teams of each group advancing to a "knock-out" stage. On 20 July 2017, the Africa Cup of Nations was moved from January to June and expanded from 16 to 24 teams.

Egypt is the most successful nation in the cup's history, winning the tournament a record of seven times (including when Egypt was known as the United Arab Republic between 1958 and 1961). Three different trophies have been awarded during the tournament's history, with Ghana and Cameroon winning the first two versions to keep after each of them won a tournament three times. The current trophy was first awarded in 2002 and with Egypt winning it indefinitely after winning their unprecedented third consecutive title in 2010.

As of 2013, the tournament was switched to being held in odd-numbered years so as not to clash with the FIFA World Cup.

1 Like

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 1:40pm On Jul 13, 2019
List of full winners of the African Nations Cup from 1957

1957 – Egypt (Sudan)
1959 – Egypt (Egypt)
1962 – Ethiopia (Ethiopia)
1963 – Ghana (Ghana)
1965 – Ghana (Tunisia)
1968 – Congo-Kinshasa (Ethiopia)
1970 – Sudan (Sudan)
1972 – Congo (Cameroon)
1974 – Zaire (Egypt)
1976 – Morocco (Ethiopia)
1978 – Ghana (Ghana)
1980 – Nigeria (Nigeria)
1982 – Ghana (Libya)
1984 – Cameroon (Ivory Coast)
1986 – Egypt (Egypt)
1988 – Cameroon (Morocco)
1990 – Algeria (Algeria)
1992 – Ivory Coast (Senegal)
1994 – Nigeria (Tunisia)
1996 – South Africa (South Africa)
1998 – Egypt (Burkina Faso)
2000 – Cameroon (Ghana and Nigeria)
2002 – Cameroon (Mali)
2004 – Tunisia (Tunisia)
2006 – Egypt (Egypt)
2008 – Egypt (Ghana)
2010 – Egypt (Angola)
2012 – Zambia (Equatorial Guinea and Gabon)
2013 – Nigeria (South Africa)
2015 - Ivory Coast (Equitoria Guinea)
2017 - Cameroon (Gabon)
2019 - loading....

Note: Congo-Kinshasa and Zaire now known as the Democratic Republic of Congo.

3 Likes

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by Krasid(m): 2:35pm On Jul 13, 2019
2015 AFCON was won by Ivory Coast not Egypt.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2019
Venue for the 2019 AFCON Finals:
The Cairo International Stadium

The Cairo International Stadium or "Stad El Qahira El Dawly" or Nasser Stadium, is an Olympic-standard, multi-use stadium with an all-seated capacity of 75,000.The architect of the stadium is the German Werner March, who had built from 1934 to 1936 the Olympic Stadium in Berlin. Before becoming an all seater stadium, it had the ability to hold over 100,000 spectators, reaching a record of 120,000. It is the foremost Olympic-standard facility befitting the role of Cairo, Egypt as the center of events in the region. It is also the 69th largest stadium in the world. Located in Nasr City; a suburb north east of Cairo, it was completed in 1960, and was inaugurated by President Gamal Abd El Nasser on 23 July that year, the eighth anniversary of the Egyptian Revolution of 1952. Zamalek SC currently use the Petro Sport Stadium for most of their home games and Al Ahly use Al Salam Stadium for most of their home games.

Cairo Stadium is a strong symbol of Egyptian football. Nearly all of the most important Egyptian matches are held there. It carries an extremely rich history which includes many memorable football moments that range from Hossam Hassan's famous header to secure Egypt's attendance in Italia 90 World Cup, numerous African Cup of Nations tournaments which included the latest 2006 trophy, and the famous derby matches between Ahly and Zamalek.

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 11:00am On Jul 14, 2019
The semi final was evenly shared north vs west africa

Algeria
Tunisia

Vs

Nigeria
Senegal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 12:37pm On Jul 14, 2019
Let's go there cheesy

The finals of the biggest AFCON

Algeria at the Africa Cup of Nations

Algeria have appeared in the finals of the Africa Cup of Nations on 18 occasions. The first participation was in 1968 in Ethiopia. Algeria won the cup once when it hosted the tournament in 1990. It finished second in 1980 in Nigeria and third in 1984 in Côte d'Ivoire and in 1988 in Morocco.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by lilfreezy: 12:39pm On Jul 14, 2019
"The lord has revealed to me that a team with the letters GERIA will make to the AFCON final. Tell your neighbor ALLELUYA"

3 Likes

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2019
lilfreezy:
"The lord has revealed to me that a team with the letters GERIA will make to the AFCON final. Tell your neighbor ALLELUYA"

I know one that is

NIGERIA grin

Let's go there

1 Like

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2019
robosky02:
1957 there were only three participating nations: Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. South Africa was originally scheduled to compete, but were disqualified due to the apartheid policies of the government then in power.[1] Since then, the tournament has grown greatly, making it necessary to hold a qualifying tournament. The number of participants in the final tournament reached 16 in 1998 (16 teams were to compete in 1996 but Nigeria withdrew, reducing the field to 15, and the same happened with Togo's withdrawal in 2010), and until 2017, the format had been unchanged, with the sixteen teams being drawn into four groups of four teams each, with the top two teams of each group advancing to a "knock-out" stage. On 20 July 2017, the Africa Cup of Nations was moved from January to June and expanded from 16 to 24 teams.[2]

Egypt is the most successful nation in the cup's history, winning the tournament a record of seven times (including when Egypt was known as the United Arab Republic between 1958 and 1961). Three different trophies have been awarded during the tournament's history, with Ghana and Cameroon winning the first two versions to keep after each of them won a tournament three times. The current trophy was first awarded in 2002 and with Egypt winning it indefinitely after winning their unprecedented third consecutive title in 2010.

As of 2013, the tournament was switched to being held in odd-numbered years so as not to clash with the FIFA World Cup.[3]

I think this new schedule will clash with Fifa's confederations cup. That's the June and Odd-numbered year schedule.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 3:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
Freehuman:

I think this new schedule will clash with Fifa's confederations cup. That's the June and Odd-numbered year schedule.

At least its better

Confederation has only the champion

Not the entire continent
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
robosky02:

At least its better

Confederation has only the champion

Not the entire continent

Yeah. It's for champions from the 6 football confederations. But what if the Champion to represent CAF also qualifies for that year's Afcon. I think January is still better but they shifted it to June to favour European Club football.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 4:29pm On Jul 14, 2019
The BiGGEST AFCON FINAL

The 32nd edition of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Egypt is the biggest afcon finals ever.

In total 24 teams are participating in the tournament for the first time in history, making it the biggest yet, and the first to be played during Europe's summer after the Confederation of African Football moved it from its traditional January/February slot.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by klever18(m): 4:44pm On Jul 14, 2019
Freehuman:

Yeah. It's for champions from the 6 football confederations. But what if the Champion to represent CAF also qualifies for that year's Afcon. I think January is still better but they shifted it to June to favour European Club football.
FIFA Don cancel the competition

1 Like

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by Lordjb: 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2019
see my signature below for link to stream the match
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 7:24pm On Jul 14, 2019
How they qualified for the Finals:

Finals
Senegal vs Algeria

Semi Finals
Jul 14 Senegal 1-0 Tunisia

Quater Finals
Jul 10Senegal 1-0 Benin

Round of 16
Jul 5Uganda 0-1 Senegal

Group stage:
June 23 Senegal 2-0 Tanzania

June 27Senegal 0-1 Algeria

July 1Kenya 0-3 Senegal
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 7:33pm On Jul 14, 2019
How they qualified for the Finals

Algeria
Semi finals
Algeria 2-1 Niigeria

Quater finals

Jul 11Ivory Coast 1-1 (3-4 pens)  Algeria

Africa Cup of Nations round-of-16

Jul 7Algeria 3-0 Guinea

Group Stage
Sun, 23/06
Algeria2 Kenya0

Thu, 27/06
Senegal0 Algeria1

Mon, 01/07
Tanzania0 Algeria3
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 9:02pm On Jul 14, 2019
Senegal star Mane reveals 'absolute dream'

Cairo - Senegal star Sadio Mane says helping Liverpool win the Champions League was special, but his "absolute dream" is parading the Africa Cup of Nations trophy through the streets of Dakar.

The west African team known as the Teranga Lions are one victory away from fulfilling the dream of their 27-year-old talisman, after beating Tunisia at the semi-final in Egypt on Sunday.

"Going to Dakar with the trophy would be extraordinary," said Mane, who shared the Premier League Golden Boot award last season with fellow Africans Mohamed Salah and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

"My absolute dream is to help Senegal win the Africa Cup of Nations - that would surpass even what I achieved with Liverpool in the Champions League.

"We have to accept being among the favourites and many people are assuming we will play ... in the final," said the scorer of three goals so far in the tournament.

1 Like

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by TheFacelessMan: 9:44pm On Jul 14, 2019
TheFacelessMan:
It was the world cup final of 1980.

We met Brazil in the final and we battled them to a 0-0 in the 90th minute.

I got a pass at the center circle and as the ball came to me mid air.... i saw 2 Brazilians closing on me

I controlled the ball and did an elegant, sleek 360 degrees spin.

Focusing solely on the ball, i knew there was absolutely no time to waste. I hit the ball with all my strength....

The ball flew with the force and velocity of a bullet .....flying through the air like a comet...90yards.

The whole stadium had fallen silent in those final seconds of the match; they all drew in their breath in unison....

The keeper dove like Superman...he knew it had to be the save of his life, his entire career but....

The ball escaped his outstretched fingers....passed through the goalposts and kissed the net pushing it backwards.. .

GOLLLLLLL in Portuguese

Golazooooooo in Spanish

GOALLLLLL

I ran off to the side of our supporters club waiting for my teammates to crash on me in celebrations.

[img]https://media./images/fed8685532df289abda76239aa672e63/tenor.gif[/img]

I stretched my arms like a Messiah, proud of myself..that's when i saw our fans crying....

I had scored an OWN goal cry cry cry

4 Likes

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 10:03pm On Jul 14, 2019
TheFacelessMan:
Let me book here grin

Let's go there

But it pains as nigeria woulnt be there

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by robosky02(m): 11:05pm On Jul 14, 2019
Its purely

Mahrez vs mane

The winner will be the MVP of afcon

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by iCauseTrouble: 11:21pm On Jul 14, 2019
tongue
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by OMOTOWO(m): 11:21pm On Jul 14, 2019
I hope super eagles victory in the final match against Senegal..

We are winning the cup in sha Allah
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by yinkus6750(m): 11:21pm On Jul 14, 2019
Its still West against North Africa.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by IamSoProlific: 11:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
I blame buhari for that loss, why did him congratulate them in their last match

Anything that man touches,blesses or comments on ends up getting cursed, that bad luck of senate president finished the work by visiting them.

I wonder why they didn't use our first keeper, this one no really tall....from observation those guys don't really take their coach seriously for obvious reasons, they should make Kanu nwankwo the head coach, he's still vibrant and he get levels too.

Those guys dey neglect the old man!

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by ejykmykel: 11:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
Get your pictures tooned @ expresstoonz
Whatsapp-07037861204
Call-08057165777

Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by Lanre4uonly(m): 11:27pm On Jul 14, 2019
May the best team win.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by Chubhie: 11:30pm On Jul 14, 2019
I'm rooting for Senegal so that Mane can be crowned world best.
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by shikshark: 11:39pm On Jul 14, 2019
nigeria go dey pray make algeria loose now grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senegal Vs Algeria: AFCON Finals (0 - 1) Full Time by Ilamina(f): 11:40pm On Jul 14, 2019
Senegal please win

Make black Africa proud kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Chelsea Unveil New Kit To Celebrate 50th Anniversary Of 1st FA Cup Win In 1970 / Argentina Fan Strips Naked On Very Spot Where Diego Maradona Promised To Go Nude / Ronaldo Breaks Silence In Emotional Statement After Portugal World Cup Exit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.