Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,619 members, 7,851,093 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:21 PM

Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree (880 Views)

How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? / Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by chainreader(f): 9:42pm On Jul 14, 2019
well i am a final year undergrad in a federal university studying computer science and graduating with a 2:2. I know what you are thinking, my result hasn't come out yet so how am i sure. That is true but judging from my current CGPA i am on a 2:2 and my course adviser said i do not really have much chances of nailing a 2:1. plus i read very hard for my just concluded exam so i am positive i wont go bellow a 2:2.

Hearing this news made me really depressed although i do not know why this really came to me as a surprise because i really wasn't serious in my first and second year. I do not want to bore you guys with the details of my incompetence and ineptitude, i am going to go back to the question. Can i actually get a decent job not necessarily related to IT with a second class upper.

The worst part is that i do not possess any relevant skill or talent; i cant sing dance or rap. honestly the only thing i am really good at is speaking. I do not what to blow my own trumpet but i am quite a captivating speaker and a bit opinionated .

So i need help and advice on the next step and possible career options for a confused 22 year old girl with no skill, no big God and a 2:2. by the way i know my article is a bit mediocre and far from perfect, please cut me some slack i am a first time writer
Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by Aonkuuse(m): 9:51pm On Jul 14, 2019
80% of jobs in Nigeria is know who, 15% is by merit and 5% is by luck. If you can't fall under the 80% then 5% is your fate. Though most of my lecturers are second class lower.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by ggoldmine: 10:03pm On Jul 14, 2019
chainreader:
well i am a final year undergrad in a federal university studying computer science and graduating with a 2:2. I know what you are thinking, my result hasn't come out yet so how am i sure. That is true but judging from my current CGPA i am on a 2:2 and my course adviser said i do not really have much chances of nailing a 2:1. plus i read very hard for my just concluded exam so i am positive i wont go bellow a 2:2.

Hearing this news made me really depressed although i do not know why this really came to me as a surprise because i really wasn't serious in my first and second year. I do not want to bore you guys with the details of my incompetence and ineptitude, i am going to go back to the question. Can i actually get a decent job not necessarily related to IT with a second class upper.

The worst part is that i do not possess any relevant skill or talent; i cant sing dance or rap. honestly the only thing i am really good at is speaking. I do not what to blow my own trumpet but i am quite a captivating speaker and a bit opinionated .

So i need help and advice on the next step and possible career options for a confused 22 year old girl with no skill, no big God and a 2:2. by the way i know my article is a bit mediocre and far from perfect, please cut me some slack i am a first time writer

First off, some jobs in Nigeria don't take into consideration one's course of study, example: bank jobs, customer service jobs, etc. But if you must get a job related to your course which is IT, then you're better off with IT certifications. There are lots of certifications ranging from security to web administration down to programming. Don't fret yet, you mentioned you're a good speaker-you can do better as a customer service rep with this quality. You may also add a master's to your qualifications if you're not satisfied with the certifications, you're still young, you know.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by vertueptime: 10:06pm On Jul 14, 2019
No
Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by ellagabs(f): 10:19pm On Jul 14, 2019
not too late to learn a soft skill, since u've gat litle background on programming go for mobile app development or ux/ui design.
trust me, u will get a nice job wit a better pay.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by NDSMELODY(m): 10:37pm On Jul 14, 2019
With God anything is possible

1 Like

Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by chainreader(f): 10:39pm On Jul 14, 2019
Aonkuuse:
80% of jobs in Nigeria is know who, 15% is by merit and 5% is by luck. If you can't fall under the 80% then 5% is your fate. Though most of my lecturers are second class lower.
thanks
Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by chainreader(f): 10:40pm On Jul 14, 2019
thank you so much, you have been helpful
ggoldmine:

First off, some jobs in Nigeria don't take into consideration one's course of study, example: bank jobs, customer service jobs, etc. But if you must get a job related to your course which is IT, then you're better off with IT certifications. There are lots of certifications ranging from security to web administration down to programming. Don't fret yet, you mentioned you're a good speaker-you can do better as a customer service rep with this quality. You may also add a master's to your qualifications if you're not satisfied with the certifications, you're still young, you know.

1 Like

Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by Bolaji21(m): 11:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
If you have the needed skills, most startups only want to know if you graduated from school, that's all. The IT profession (programming) is more interested in skills than school certificate. And if networking is your way, acquire as much certifications as you can afford.

Or if you choose design, they just want to see your portfolio plus proof you went to sch.

In other words, 2:2 doesn't limit you in the tech industry.

1 Like

Re: Can You Get A Job With A Second Class Lower Degree by goodnewscliff(m): 12:28am On Jul 15, 2019
yeahhhh

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can A 4.3 Cgpa Guarantee Me A Post Graduate Scholarship In Europe? / Mr Shape Mathematics Give Away Monday August 17th By 9:10pm / Update On IMSU Final Year Clearance And Mobilization; October 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.