Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,593 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games (3221 Views)

BBC Disrespects Nigeria And Blessing Okagbare At Commonwealth Game / Nigerian Tennis Player's Stunt At Commonwealth Games Go Viral, Video / Blessing Okagbare Wins 100m gold at Commonwealth Games in 10.85s (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 8:27am On Oct 12, 2010
second Nigerian has failed a drugs test at the Commonwealth Games.

Samuel Okon, 24, who was sixth in the 110m hurdles won by Andy Turner, tested positive for the same drug as women's 100m winner Damola Osayemi.

According to Commonwealth Games Federation president Mike Fennell, Okon is waiving the right to the B sample test but this has yet to be confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9082481.stm
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Litmus: 8:41am On Oct 12, 2010
I don't trust India and Indians. Irregardless of the fact that Samuel Okon declined a second opinion hence giving the impression of guilt, i don't trust Indians especially when the British are around. In my view, India is the most corrupt country in the world but the British and Americans protect and, to use slang, Big Them Up.

With some very naive Nigerians and pseudo Nigerians from you-know-where going around hysterically stereotyping our nation to the entire world, we are an easy target.

It is a good thing Nigeria has often done well in Commonwealth Games so being in fifth or sixth position on the medals tables isn't some fluke they can attribute to banned substances.

Loved Anthony Ogogo of Nigerian origin, fighting for UK, bashing their darling Indian boxer Singh. The Indians were so furious and lodged a complain wanting the decision overturned, which i thought was hypocritical seeing as the African boxers were overwhelmingly cheated in the tournament as a whole.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 8:51am On Oct 12, 2010
Litmus:

I don't trust India and Indians. Irregardless of the fact that[b] Samuel Okon declined a second opinion hence giving the impression of guilt[/b], i don't trust Indians especially when the British are around. In my view, India is the most corrupt country in the world but the British and Americans protect and, to use slang, Big Them Up.
With some very naive Nigerians and pseudo Nigerians from you-know-where going around hysterically stereotyping our nation to the entire world, we are an easy target. It is a good thing Nigeria has often done well in Commonwealth Games so being in fifth or sixth position on the medals tables isn't some fluke they can attribute to banned substances.
India had eleven athletes banned it will be interesting to see how many more Nigerians they will catch in order to wash away their shame.

Why do you think he declined the second test? Lets not start defending anybody here and face the facts. Not only Nigerians tested positive, Indians as well, so why are you suspecting Indians in the case?
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 12, 2010
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Litmus: 8:56am On Oct 12, 2010
@justwise (m)
No one knows the absolute truth about anything, its just my views.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 9:02am On Oct 12, 2010
Litmus:

@justwise (m)
No one knows the absolute truth about anything, its just my views.

Exactly!! but from the little we know now, he tested positive and seem to have accepted that. Blaming Indians is not the answer. Lets stop playing victim card here please.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 9:03am On Oct 12, 2010
guddsid:

even while he was high on that shxx , he still came sixth grin , whats the use

That means he cheated his way to the Commonwealth Games then, denying the right person the chance to be at the game.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Litmus: 9:09am On Oct 12, 2010

ustwise (m)
Lets stop playing victim card here please.

That is exactly what i don't do that is why i suspect the Indians and their British master not Nigerians.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 9:13am On Oct 12, 2010
Litmus:

That is exactly what i don't do that is why i suspect the Indians and their British master not Nigerians.

Why exactly are u suspecting them? They are doing better than Nigeria in medal table, so where is the jealous coming from?
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Litmus: 9:17am On Oct 12, 2010
The Indians can keep their gold medals in pillow fighting and feather tossing.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by bisiaet: 12:37pm On Oct 12, 2010
To be honest I dont for a second like Indians for anything. And as I saw Nigeria in sixth position in the table I knew the commonwealth organisers will start stories soon. BUT why cant the so called officials ask the Indian how come they are on the top of the table? Please can any one tells me what sport does India do? All I know them for is cricket and is it only cricket that place them among the top medal list in the table? or when did Indian now become sport champion?

The reason they are not worry about South African on top of us in the table is just simply in South Africa, India is like the second citizen so South Africa is presume to be their territory so the only intruder now or their headache is Nigeria and they are not comfortable and feel threat as they know Nigeria will get more Gold in track events is like an acid in their flesh is as simple as that

They can eat their Gold Medal if they like to hell with the commonwealth official and to hell with Indian.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 12:44pm On Oct 12, 2010
bisiaet:

To be honest I dont for a second like Indians for anything. And as I saw Nigeria in sixth position in the table I knew the commonwealth organisers will start stories soon. BUT why cant the so called officials ask the Indian how come they are on the top of the table? Please can any one tells me what sport does India do? All I know them for is cricket and is it only cricket that place them among the top medal list in the table? or when did Indian now become sport champion? The reason they are not worry about South African on top of us in the table is just simply in South Africa, India is like the second citizen so South Africa is presume to be their territory so the only intruder now or their headache is Nigeria and they are not comfortable and feel threat as they know Nigeria will get more Gold in track events is like an acid in their flesh is as simple as that
They can eat their Gold Medal if they like to hell with the commonwealth official and to hell with Indian.

You are just sounding like a sad loser, if u don't know how Indians got the golds why not read up more b4 coming here to rant?
The games are live, watch it and see how they won it.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by kingvictor(m): 12:46pm On Oct 12, 2010
cheat or no cheat i did not give a damm
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by OmoTier1(m): 12:54pm On Oct 12, 2010
Even IAAF officials know too well that Nigeria is not, has never been and will never be a drug cheat Nation! We are known to excel in sports with 'raw' talents hence the reason you can find up to 5 Nigerian born/Athletes of Nigerian origin competing for the UK.

I think there must be some loose ends on the side of Team Nigeria medical team since this very substance as alleged (by the Head of Anti-doping team of Team Nigeria) can be admitted very easily by drinking sports water or even inhaling some perfume which you may not even have come in contact with!

As for Samuel Okon, his refusal to go for a B sample should not be taken as an admission of the offence. Sports men and women go through so much psychological trauma, especially when they fail to achieve their set goal in an on going competition! HOWEVER, should He be found wanting, He should be thoroughly investigated ( to unearth what led to him taking the banned substance and the people involved) and He should be banned from ALL sporting events involving Nigeria. This would send the message out to anyone who may contemplate doing this in near future!
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Guyman02: 12:57pm On Oct 12, 2010
guddsid:

even while he was high on that shxx , he still came sixth  grin ,  whats the use
I sure say na strong Agbo with Kparaga the guy take. If na ephedrine he for come first no be sixth grin grin grin, why should he go for B sample when he is not in line to get gold or silver?
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by yme1(f): 12:59pm On Oct 12, 2010
i saw that y.day and i was like wow

but again drug or no drug make them leave am jare
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by montelik(m): 1:03pm On Oct 12, 2010
lets hope there is no 3rd Nigerian athlete.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 12, 2010
Litmus & Bisiaet, are you guys for real? If so Nigeria is in big trouble

They catch person with drug you begin blame Indian, how do the 2 relate? Your whole argument is really disjointed and is the stuff of fantasy.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by elrychie(m): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2010
why did the two test positive for the same drug? is it that their Nigeria doctors gave them the drug or they took it together in India.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by bisiaet: 1:45pm On Oct 12, 2010
You are just sounding like a sad loser, if u don't know how Indians got the golds why not read up more b4 coming here to rant?

It is very unfortunate you failed to get my message right. I did not say the Indians did not won those medals the truth is "have they be truely tested and confirmed clean? I know the rule of game so many things can go under definately, the suspicion is why indian strangefully among the top on the table? this is just a simple question.

Moreso I never for once mention your name or abuse you or called you names pls poster grow out of quick abusive words as a response to an opinion or view, just drop your own view and leave the rest to others rather than ready for war of words it is so pathetic anyway I leave you to that I have nothing else to say TO YOU because I have grown out of such abusive for a response lifestyle ok. God bless
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 1:49pm On Oct 12, 2010
bisiaet:

It is very unfortunate you failed to get my message right. I did not say the Indians did not won those medals the truth is "have they be truely tested and confirmed clean? I know the rule of game so many things can go under definately, the suspicion is why indian strangefully among the top on the table? this is just a simple question.Moreso I never for once mention your name or abuse you or called you names pls poster grow out of quick abusive words as a response to an opinion or view, just drop your own view and leave the rest to others rather than ready for war of words it is so pathetic anyway I leave you to that I have nothing else to say TO YOU because I have grown out of such abusive for a response lifestyle ok. God bless

I make no apology for my comment, i stand by it.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by justwise(m): 1:53pm On Oct 12, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

Even IAAF officials know too well that Nigeria is not, has never been and will never be a drug cheat Nation! We are known to excel in sports with 'raw' talents hence the reason you can find up to 5 Nigerian born/Athletes of Nigerian origin competing for the UK.
I think there must be some loose ends on the side of Team Nigeria medical team since this very substance as alleged (by the Head of Anti-doping team of Team Nigeria) can be admitted very easily by drinking sports water or even inhaling some perfume which you may not even have come in contact with!
As for Samuel Okon, his refusal to go for a B sample should not be taken as an admission of the offence. Sports men and women go through so much psychological trauma, especially when they fail to achieve their set goal in an on going competition! HOWEVER, should He be found wanting, He should be thoroughly investigated ( to unearth what led to him taking the banned substance and the people involved) and He should be banned from ALL sporting events involving Nigeria. This would send the message out to anyone who may contemplate doing this in near future!
They should be questioned as well, they might have known what those athletes were taking. Unfortunately the rule is the rule.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 12, 2010
It is good before people come here to write to just invest 5 minutes to do research

see the all time medals tally for commonwealth games before these games and compare where India and Nigeria are

Just because you are ignorant about the games Indians participate in does not make them dull at sports

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1  Australia 653 556 509 1718
2  England 479 553 563 1595
3  Canada 374 402 412 1188 [Note 1]
4  New Zealand 124 168 238 525
5  India 102 97 72 271
6  South Africa 92 92 96 280
7  Scotland 82 94 153 329
8  Kenya 59 47 56 162
9  Wales 47 71 96 214
10  Jamaica 40 30 35 105
11  Nigeria 39 47 57 143
12  Malaysia / Malaya 36 48 51 135
13  Pakistan 22 20 18 60[1]
14  Northern Ireland 17 23 38 78
15  Sri Lanka / Ceylon 16 19 19 54
16  Ghana 15 17 18 50
17  Singapore 13 9 18 40
18  Uganda 10 12 17 39
19  Nauru 9 6 11 26
20  Cameroon 9 5 7 21
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by bisiaet: 2:20pm On Oct 12, 2010
I make no apology for my comment, i stand by it.

I am not asking for apology, I said I'm ok with all you've said. God bless
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Olaisrich(m): 3:27pm On Oct 12, 2010
just my view! why can't they test them for doping before the commencement of the game? to me i see it as mercy after death or did they want to use it humiliate the offenders?
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Olaisrich(m): 3:29pm On Oct 12, 2010
just my view! why can't they test them for doping before the commencement of the game? to me i see it as mercy after death or did they want to use it humiliate the offenders?
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by medjai(m): 4:26pm On Oct 12, 2010
bisiaet:

To be honest I dont for a second like Indians for anything. And as I saw Nigeria in sixth position in the table I knew the commonwealth organisers will start stories soon. BUT why cant the so called officials ask the Indian how come they are on the top of the table? Please can any one tells me what sport does India do? All I know them for is cricket and is it only cricket that place them among the top medal list in the table? or when did Indian now become sport champion?

The reason they are not worry about South African on top of us in the table is just simply in South Africa, India is like the second citizen so South Africa is presume to be their territory so the only intruder now or their headache is Nigeria and they are not comfortable and feel threat as they know Nigeria will get more Gold in track events is like an acid in their flesh is as simple as that

India are very strong competitors in games like the Commonwealth and the Olympics. Their strong points are power sports-weightlifting and wrestling, table tennis, badminton, gymnastics, synchronized swimming amongst others
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Litmus: 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2010
Ain it funny how everyone has a fun party-time attacking Nigeria and Nigerians but soon as you say anything about another nation people seem on the verge of tears.

By the way, Nigeria threw away two more gold medal opportunities. In the 400m, we should have placed the third leg runner  at the start and our best runner last.

Still, congrats to the Nigerian team for doing as well as it did in spite of  the odds.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by chic2pimp(m): 5:53pm On Oct 12, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

Excel in sports ma foot.Well, only if you include the likes of Bash Ali
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by TmeD0(m): 6:01pm On Oct 12, 2010
**wonders why this not-so-flattering topic is the only commonwealth games topic on the home page**

whatever happened to a topic like Odumosu rakes in 400m hurdles gold making the homepage?

perhaps Litmus was right when he said:
Litmus:

Ain it funny how everyone has a fun party-time attacking Nigeria and Nigerians but soon as you say anything about another nation people seem on the verge of tears.

and whatever happened to benefit of the doubt, which we always seem to accord other foreign athletes that find themselves in similar situations?

*smh*  we are indeed our own worst enemy!
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by anonimi: 6:45pm On Oct 12, 2010
these athletes should come and play politics in 9ja. that's where cheating pays and you win by do-or-die approach.
Re: Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games by Mobinga: 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2010
grin grin grin grin lol!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

98% Sure Bet Guaranteed.. / Statarea Guru Predictions For Todays Game Old Statarea Best Prediction Site / HeartLand Vs Tp Mazembe-1st leg ogtober 31st in Owerri(The real super eagles)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.