Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Pastor George Oyoke[THE TRUE EXPLANATION OF JAMES 2:17-21] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor George Oyoke[THE TRUE EXPLANATION OF JAMES 2:17-21] (283 Views)

Pastor George Izunwa: If A Man Hasn't Proposed, Don't Take Him To Your Parents / Why Is Mathew 17:21 Omitted In Some Version Of Bible? / Pastor George Oyoke: One Save Is Forever Saved[part 1] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pastor George Oyoke[THE TRUE EXPLANATION OF JAMES 2:17-21] by Georgetlm: 11:38am On Jul 18, 2019
TRUE EXPLANATION OF JAMES 2:17-21

James 2:17-21
[17]Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
[18]Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
[19]Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
[20]But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
[21]Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Many have seen this statement as a move of James to counter the teachings of Paul, which is not the case.
If the Spirit of God would inspire the Apostles to counter each other instead of correcting each other, then the Spirit is not what he claims to be: The Spirit of orderliness. But in reality he is The Spirit of orderliness, not of confusion.
But that fact is that James was neither countering Paul nor correcting him. If you truly study the writings of Paul, you would agree with me that Paul takes delight in explaining his request or requirements to his followers than just telling them to do something they don’t know the purpose or source.
Thus Paul did not only tell them that they should do something but also got them to understand that what he wanted them to do will actually be possible by the holy spirit in them not by human efforts.

Galatians 5:22-23
[22]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
[23]Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Mere reading of the above scripture would sound contradictory, especially to those who believe that salvation can be acquired by hard work, for it depicts no human responsibility for salvation, while James seems to accrue responsibilities of salvation to individuals.

Some will say, this Man Wants to defend Paul. No. I have no reason to do that. Paul was just a servant preaching and defending Christ just as I am doing today. I am not in anyway trying to defend him; I am just discharging my duties, teaching and defending Christ Jesus.
Anyways, Paul and James were not in anyway contradicting each other; they are actually saying the same thing but in a different context.
Let’s look at it holistically:

Paul writes:

Ephesians 2:8-9
[8]For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
[9]Not of works, lest any man should boast.
[/b]
Then James writes:

[b]James 2:17-21
[18]Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
[19]Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
[21]Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

If these people were in the flesh today, our best stand wouldn’t be to have a debate between the too great men of God but to compare scriptures with scriptures.

1 Corinthians 2:13
[13]Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

That is exactly what I would be doing in this write up. But before that, I would want to emphasis on the above statements, of James and Paul. To begin with, as I have already mentioned, the two apostles are actually saying same thing in deferent context.

Paul says, no one needs to work for his salvation, all you need is faith; then James says, that is true; but your faith must not be dead otherwise what you call faith is not faith because it must have died, and God is the God of the living not of the dead. And the only way to know whether you have a living faith is by the fruit of it.

Matthew 22:32
[32]I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Thus James is emphasizing on the fact that it’s all about faith but the faith must be a living faith. Hence he says, your faith must produce work, not your work must produce faith(that is to say that faith is the focal point whilst actions is the fruit of the spirit of your faith, since every living thing has spirit—living faith should have spirit and must be productive).

2 Corinthians 4:13
[13]We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

The above scripture shows us that faith has spirit and character. There is such thing as faith and the spirit of faith; and faith produces fruits through its spirit.
Now, to understand these minds, Paul and James' mind, we must compare their writings.

Paul declares:

[8]For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

While James declares:

James 2:17-20

If we truly examine these scriptures we would see that James was actually complimenting the teachings of Paul rather than countering it as many have suggested.
Paul says, it’s faith first; then James say, yes, but that faith must be alive; and the only way to know whether your faith is alive or not is by its fruit, its work, otherwise your faith is dead—meaning you don’t have faith.

HAS PAUL IN ANYWAY MADE SUCH STATEMENTS: FRUITS OF FAITH( FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT OF FAITH)?

Yes, Paul acknowledges the fact that faith has ingredients without which it’s not and can’t be the saving faith of Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:5-6
[5]For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
[6]For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

[22]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

2 Thessalonians 1:11
[11]Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

1 Thessalonians 1:3
[3]Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

And Jesus teaches:

Matthew 7:20
[20]Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Actions or works are not the source of faith; in the contrary, faith is the source of actions and works.
But there are two kinds of works and actions: living works and actions, and dead works and actions.
Anything done without faith is considered dead, and can’t be accepted by God that is why all the apostles put faith first before works and actions for they are the manifestation and outshining of faith.
Therefore, actions don’t produce saving faith rather your actions are the product of your living faith—your work is dead without faith and faith is dead without work. They are all important, and one can’t exist without the other. nevertheless, one is the source of the other—works are begotten by faith.

This is the problem, many people don’t known that their works or actions are fruits of their faith. So they are born again today and they want to produce the amount of fruits that could only be possible when their faith has grown and matured. They want to stop all their bad characters overnight, of cause, it can’t work, when it doesn’t work they complain and retire to self condemnation.
The bible does not in anyway assure us overnight character change but instant salvation and gradual change of character.

Matthew 13:31-32
[31]Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
[32]Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

Matthew 13:33
[33]Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Jesus says the kingdom of God is like a seed which needs to be planted; when planted it has to germinate, grow and then takes over every other things.

If you see Jesus today and complain to him about the addictions you been fighting, he would tell you to relax and let the kingdom grow and subdue those unwanted elements in your life. He wouldn’t tell you to do anything but to give the kingdom that has been implanted in you the chance to grow by just listening to the word of the kingdom. Jesus understands the efficacy of the kingdom of God in a believer and will not demand that you should do anything but what a farmer would expect from a soil for a great harvest(to absolve water, which is the word of God). Same way, Jesus would only direct you into the word: make the word of the kingdom your priority and other things will fall into place.

John 8:30-32
[30]As he spake these words, many believed on him.
[31]Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
[32]And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Ephesians 5:25-26
[25]Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
[26]That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Thus when the water by the word is allowed to flow into the heart and well absolved, the kingdom will naturally respond to its language hence producing the fruits of righteousness:

Mark 4:26-29
[26]And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;
[27]And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how.
[28]For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.
[29]But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come.

Philippians 1:11
[11]Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

PASTOR GEORGE OYOKE[TRUMPET OF LIFE MINISTRY INTERNATIONAL]
Re: Pastor George Oyoke[THE TRUE EXPLANATION OF JAMES 2:17-21] by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 18, 2019
Georgetlm:
TRUE EXPLANATION OF JAMES 2:17-21

Many have seen this statement as a move of James to counter the teachings of Paul, which is not the case.
If the Spirit of God would inspire the Apostles to counter each other instead of correcting each other, then the Spirit is not what he claims to be: The Spirit of orderliness. But in reality he is The Spirit of orderliness, not of confusion.
But that fact is that James was neither countering Paul nor correcting him. If you truly study the writings of Paul, you would agree with me that Paul takes delight in explaining his request or requirements to his followers than just telling them to do something they don’t know the purpose or source.
Thus Paul did not only tell them that they should do something but also got them to understand that what he wanted them to do will actually be possible by the holy spirit in them not by human efforts.

Mere reading of the above scripture would sound contradictory, especially to those who believe that salvation can be acquired by hard work, for it depicts no human responsibility for salvation, while James seems to accrue responsibilities of salvation to individuals.

Some will say, this Man Wants to defend Paul. No. I have no reason to do that. Paul was just a servant preaching and defending Christ just as I am doing today. I am not in anyway trying to defend him; I am just discharging my duties, teaching and defending Christ Jesus.
Anyways, Paul and James were not in anyway contradicting each other; they are actually saying the same thing but in a different context.
Let’s look at it holistically:

Paul writes:

Then James writes:

If these people were in the flesh today, our best stand wouldn’t be to have a debate between the too great men of God but to compare scriptures with scriptures.

1 Corinthians 2:13
[13]Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

That is exactly what I would be doing in this write up. But before that, I would want to emphasis on the above statements, of James and Paul. To begin with, as I have already mentioned, the two apostles are actually saying same thing in deferent context.

Paul says, no one needs to work for his salvation, all you need is faith; then James says, that is true; but your faith must not be dead otherwise what you call faith is not faith because it must have died, and God is the God of the living not of the dead. And the only way to know whether you have a living faith is by the fruit of it.

Matthew 22:32
[32]I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Thus James is emphasizing on the fact that it’s all about faith but the faith must be a living faith. Hence he says, your faith must produce work, not your work must produce faith(that is to say that faith is the focal point whilst actions is the fruit of the spirit of your faith, since every living thing has spirit—living faith should have spirit and must be productive).

2 Corinthians 4:13
[13]We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

The above scripture shows us that faith has spirit and character. There is such thing as faith and the spirit of faith; and faith produces fruits through its spirit.
Now, to understand these minds, Paul and James' mind, we must compare their writings.

Paul declares:

While James declares:

James 2:17-20

If we truly examine these scriptures we would see that James was actually complimenting the teachings of Paul rather than countering it as many have suggested.
Paul says, it’s faith first; then James say, yes, but that faith must be alive; and the only way to know whether your faith is alive or not is by its fruit, its work, otherwise your faith is dead—meaning you don’t have faith.

HAS PAUL IN ANYWAY MADE SUCH STATEMENTS: FRUITS OF FAITH( FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT OF FAITH)?

Yes, Paul acknowledges the fact that faith has ingredients without which it’s not and can’t be the saving faith of Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:5-6
[5]For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
[6]For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

2 Thessalonians 1:11
[11]Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

1 Thessalonians 1:3
[3]Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

And Jesus teaches:

Matthew 7:20
[20]Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Actions or works are not the source of faith; in the contrary, faith is the source of actions and works.
But there are two kinds of works and actions: living works and actions, and dead works and actions.
Anything done without faith is considered dead, and can’t be accepted by God that is why all the apostles put faith first before works and actions for they are the manifestation and outshining of faith.
Therefore, actions don’t produce saving faith rather your actions are the product of your living faith—your work is dead without faith and faith is dead without work. They are all important, and one can’t exist without the other. nevertheless, one is the source of the other—works are begotten by faith.

This is the problem, many people don’t known that their works or actions are fruits of their faith. So they are born again today and they want to produce the amount of fruits that could only be possible when their faith has grown and matured. They want to stop all their bad characters overnight, of cause, it can’t work, when it doesn’t work they complain and retire to self condemnation.
The bible does not in anyway assure us overnight character change but instant salvation and gradual change of character.

Matthew 13:31-32
[31]Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
[32]Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

Matthew 13:33
[33]Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Jesus says the kingdom of God is like a seed which needs to be planted; when planted it has to germinate, grow and then takes over every other things.

If you see Jesus today and complain to him about the addictions you been fighting, he would tell you to relax and let the kingdom grow and subdue those unwanted elements in your life. He wouldn’t tell you to do anything but to give the kingdom that has been implanted in you the chance to grow by just listening to the word of the kingdom. Jesus understands the efficacy of the kingdom of God in a believer and will not demand that you should do anything but what a farmer would expect from a soil for a great harvest(to absolve water, which is the word of God). Same way, Jesus would only direct you into the word: make the word of the kingdom your priority and other things will fall into place.

John 8:30-32
[30]As he spake these words, many believed on him.
[31]Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
[32]And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Ephesians 5:25-26
[25]Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
[26]That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Thus when the water by the word is allowed to flow into the heart and well absolved, the kingdom will naturally respond to its language hence producing the fruits of righteousness:

Mark 4:26-29
[26]And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;
[27]And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how.
[28]For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.
[29]But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come.

Philippians 1:11
[11]Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

PASTOR GEORGE OYOKE[TRUMPET OF LIFE MINISTRY INTERNATIONAL]

God bless you op
Re: Pastor George Oyoke[THE TRUE EXPLANATION OF JAMES 2:17-21] by Georgetlm: 12:10pm On Jul 18, 2019
solite3:
God bless you op
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

The Interpretation Of The Dream Of When You See Snake In The Room / Best Dating App For Christian Singles / Who Took Your Virginity. (implication/benefits)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.