Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,421 members, 7,850,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:08 PM

Are We Doomed To Continue In Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We Doomed To Continue In Sin? (266 Views)

What Happens When A Believer "Dies In Sin"? A Biblical Exposition Of What Sin Is / Satan Conquers The World Through Sin. No wonder he wants you to remain in sin / Weapons Doomed To Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are We Doomed To Continue In Sin? by hoasis: 6:02pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sin.

What do we do with sin?

Are we doomed to continue in sin...even though we call ourselves "saved"...calling ourselves "Christians?"

To hear the Church speak today...it seems that two groups of people live in sin:

1. The UNSAVED
2. The SAVED

So...where and when did the Church begin to preach what I have often called "Sinful Equality?"

Let me make it clear regarding my Biblical position on sin:

Christians are NOT supposed to sin.

If we DO sin...yes..."we have an advocate with the Father"...but notice the CONTEXT in which Scripture NOTES that truth:

1 John 2:1-4 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

We are NEVER allowed to IGNORE the imperative stating "that ye sin not."

The misunderstanding on this issue stems from an incorrect interpretation of 1 John 1:8 which reads:

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

Notice the words being used...translated from the Greek...which say "we HAVE no sin." (emphasis added)

John is not speaking of specific acts of sin in this passage. John is not answering a question which asks, "Will Christians sin daily?"

John is simply reiterating a truth spoken throughout Scripture:

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." (Romans 3:23)

Remember the story of the rich young ruler in Matthew 19?

When this man approached Jesus, we find him saying that he had kept every commandment since his youth. In context, this rich young ruler could not realize...regardless of his claim of having done all that he needed to do to be "saved"...that he still was a sinner who needed to CONFESS his sins and REPENT.

This is the issue being dealt with in 1 John 1:8.

You see...1 John 1:8 is NOT saying we will continue to sin daily even AFTER we are saved. This passage is telling us that we are ALL (every human being who has lived, is living, or ever WILL live) guilty of SIN and, therefore, in need of a Savior.

Look at the words which follow this passage...as John discusses the TRUTH about sin...addressing the belief that we can simply CONTINUE to sin after we are saved:

1 John 2:1a My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin.

John makes it VERY clear about his meaning...doesn't he.

Then...John writes:

1 John 2:1b-2 And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

John says "IF anyone sins" (emphasis added)...not WHEN someone sins.

You see...God has provided a way of forgiveness IF we sin after we have been saved.

John then CONFIRMS this interpretation of his words by saying:

1 John 2:3-6 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

John says we should desire to walk as Jesus walked.

So...how did Jesus walk?

Jesus "knew no sin". (2 Corinthians 5:21) Jesus lived His life WITHOUT sinning.

So...I know what you are saying:

"How in the world can I live without sinning after I am saved?! I simply do not have the power to do it!"

The question itself begins to answer its own question.

"How in the world..."

Ceasing to sin CANNOT be accomplished in the FLESH...as it must be accomplished through the POWER of the Holy Spirit.

Now...too often pulpits are guilty of what I call "spiritual sounding answers" while not offering PRACTICAL APPLICATION which gives IMMEDIATE help in our "Christian walk."

So...HOW can we live WITHOUT SIN...and is it TRULY possible?

There is an oft overlooked passage of Scripture by which we can KNOW how to CEASE from SIN. Yet...this is a very well-known passage of Scripture:

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

Paul DESTROYS the modern claim that we WILL sin DAILY...even as Christians!

Paul starts with our IMPETUS to sin:

Temptation.

We WILL be TEMPTED. That is a DAILY encounter.

But...Paul says that with each TEMPTATION...God has provided "the way of escape."

TEMPTATION seeks to TRAP us...making sin INEVITABLE.

But...God provides us a way...a way to ESCAPE...a way to NOT GIVE IN to the TEMPTATION.

So...YOU tell ME:

If for EVERY temptation God provides for us a way to NOT sin...

Do we HAVE to sin?

No.

At the moment of TEMPTATION...we are given a CHOICE:

We can choose LIFE (choose NOT to sin) or we can choose DEATH (choose TO sin).

How do we CEASE to sin as Christians?

By taking "the way of escape" provided by God Himself each time we face TEMPTATION.

Is it always easy?

No.

But no VICTORY is EVER easy.

We CEASE to sin one victory at a time...one ESCAPE at a time.

Too many Christians look at the big picture:

One week...one month...one year..."down the road"...

...and they cannot see a SINLESS life.

"Impossible!" they cry!

We do not OVERCOME temptation in PERIODS of TIME...we OVERCOME sin in MOMENTS of TEMPTATION.

Think about that...and read it again:

We do not OVERCOME temptation in PERIODS of TIME...we OVERCOME sin in MOMENTS of TEMPTATION.

If we tried to face EVERY sin...every POSSIBLE sin...we may face all at ONCE...we could NEVER withstand temptation.

But...if we simply take that "way of escape" with the PRESENT temptation...the NEXT battle with temptation is EASIER...as we have already PROVEN we CAN be an OVERCOMER.

So...the message for today?

When facing TEMPTATION...look for...and TAKE..."the way of escape" provided by the Savior.

Do not simply ACCEPT sin under the GUISE of GRACE.

https://www.facebook.com/ron.smith.bama.fan/posts/10215378412875953

(1) (Reply)

Can This Be Compared With The Love Of God? / Are You 100% Sure You Are Going To Heaven When You Die? / Is Jesus God ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.