Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Should You Destroy Your African Accent? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should You Destroy Your African Accent? (235 Views)

5 Certified Online Stores To Buy Your African Inspired Contemporary Gifts / Allowances Of An China Elevator Accent / He Came Back With A British Accent!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Destroy Your African Accent? by davidakenzy: 9:00pm On Jul 18, 2019
Recently I came about a video on how to destroy your African accent and I was really surprised.For God sake why will you want to destroy your accent? To make people think you have travelled the world? To make yourself acceptable to whites and other black foreigners?To make your friends and acquaintances think you are exposed and "tuish"?To make people hold you in high esteem?...whatever your reasons are,they are not valid in my candid opinion simply because you were born an African.If you were actually born outside Africa then it will make sense if you have a foreign accent.
The reasons why I think and know you shouldn't change your African accent are:
1.You were born an African
You were born in Africa and not in any foreign land and you should be proud of your culture and the natural accent you inherited.
2.foreigners will belittle your country and culture:
If you think a foreign accent is better than your local accent then foreigners will think the same and not only that,they will belittle you and your culture because it is what you are doing already. It is just like when you always disrespect your elder sister/brother in front of your friends and you were expecting your friends to respect that your same elder brother or sister.Does that sound sane to you?
3.African accents are even sexy
According to a research I saw,it was discovered that some African accents are really sexy.Nigerian accent is one of the sexy accents in the world. So in case you don't know,that white chick or guy you are talking to may actually be attracted to you simply because of your African accent
4.Your African accent shows foreigners that you are proud of yourself,your culture and you are true to who you are.
5.Famous and Successful Africans:
If you look at most famous and successful Africans you rarely see them change their accent to suit foreigners' own.people like Nelson Mandela,Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Chinamanda,Fela Anikulapo.You will see that these people are really true to themselves and are proud of their accent and their culture.
On a final note,i will say you should be proud of your accent because it will show more light on your culture because people will always be curious to know about where you are from. Salom!!!
Re: Should You Destroy Your African Accent? by davidakenzy: 9:01pm On Jul 18, 2019
You guys are free to share your thoughts on the topic
Re: Should You Destroy Your African Accent? by Andersonjr(m): 9:42pm On Jul 18, 2019
For me this post doesn't change anything if i want to change my accent now i will. And besides the African accent doesn't sounds luxurious or even sweet it sounds dirty, poor, miserable, etc. That's the way i see it.
Re: Should You Destroy Your African Accent? by davidakenzy: 8:14am On Aug 17, 2019
My friend, I believe someone should be proud of his/her heritage no matter what

(1) (Reply)

E-commerce And Business Start-up / How Long Does It Take To Get Instalment Loans Approved? / Shi'ite Muslims Protesting Now In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.