Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools (5056 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Can anyone explain what these mean in Edo Language? Thank you. / Need Help With The Edo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by pazienza(m): 2:38am On Feb 10, 2013
"OMU EBON NKENYI SIKE AKA NMA NNU LE OGIRI AKA OFE,OFU OBI MU IKEN ENYI"

The above is the ika dialect as spoken in igbanke from the article chyz posted,any neutral observer would notice a sharp contrast between the ika dialect spoken in igbanke , and the rubbish that agbontaen had been feeding us as ika dialect.

Igbanke had been surrounded by the binis and other edo tribes for centuries,yet any person with basic understanding of igbo language can understand that igbanke dialect,especially the beginning and the last parts.
And no edo language speaker without a prior knowledge of igbanke or anyother igbo dialect can understand any part of that sentence, yet igbanke and other ika clans are supposed to be from bini according to agbontae.

Shame on you,agbontae.
Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by agbotaen: 5:04pm On Feb 18, 2013
1. sorry ooo igbo man or igbon man , i guess you know what igbon means in ika language, i am an owa man and i speak ika and not igbo or igbon , so mind your igbo business and stop mentioning ika , because ika cannever be igbo , any ika man that speaks igbo learnt it , pure and simple,
2. if i speak in my owa ika dialect and you dont understand it too bad for you ,
3. we have often told you igbo propagandist that ika is a hybrid language , and if you dont know the meaning i will tell you , it is a mix of languages or mix of things and as such till date ika language contains many edo and igbo sentences neither making it pure edo or pure igbo , and as such it should and it is a different language of its own , right now ika language committee is salvaging our language and we want to prevent it from further degeneration and that we have done .
4. igbanke says they are ika , so what business of the igbo man is that , and do you need a soothsayer to tell you i ika cannever be igbo? what happenned during the civil war , our elders and leaders said they are not igbo but ika.
5. till date , there is not ika person of repute that is a member of any igbo ethnic group organisation , and majority of ika , probably about 95 percent say they are ika and not igbo , and the other 5 percent are those from igbodo and ekwuoma , whom some of them say they are igbos and we know the reason , its because they live at the eastern or igbo cultural zone near aniocha areas and i believe many of their fathers would have migrated from igbo areas , while some of them did not come from igbo .
6. even in igbodo that speaks ika and aniocha dialect , there is a raging controversy as the town people have chased out the igbo wife of the obi of igbodo , because they say an igbo woman cannot give them a heir apparent , so food for thought for igbo people .
7. as for the igbo propagandists , ika language as spoken in delta state have 5 variations and even in edo , there are still variations and so you are not an ika man , you cannever be competent to tell me what ika language is , any time i write , i say i am speaking owa dialect ,.
if you do not understand what i write please seek an ika person to tell you the meaning, as----------------
onu wu igbo wu igbon le oseka,
ojuwu ke gi onu gbe akpakali,
onu a hunkor ihien ighogho le ifonron,
ebi ebi kor onu gha e gbe , iseh.
i have written a short sentence , it is for igbo propagandists on this site , so go and ask an owa person to translate it for you , the fact is that what many people even some ika people speak as ika today is just close to aniocha dialect and if proper owa or ika is spoken , i bet you many igbo people will not understand many things , and one of the things that started changing our language was the missionaries, bringing christianity with igbo teachers and the fact that igbo as a language was formerly taught in ika area , but we thank god that is over ika have asserted herself today and there is a revival of ika language and culture .
Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by Maimen: 6:58pm On Jul 28, 2017
I am baffled that someone in this thread could be asking if Edo is a language, that person's education I questionable. Why would you dabble to respond to an Edo issue that is of no concern to an Igbo person. Get thi straight into your hea from today; the people; Etsako, Owan, Esan an Akoko Edo are from the Parent stock Bini. They speak variations of the same Bini language spoken in Benin city. They were founded by Kings, Princes and Warlord from the Source; Bini. They have no problem with th teaching of their ancestral/central language in schools. You will agree with me that your so called Igbo language is made up of several languages Abakaliki language is not comprehensible to an Owerri person except they switch code to the central Igbo language, so is Etsako, Owan or Bini among Edo speaking people. This is Same for all Ethnic groups. I hope you are clear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by Maimen: 8:13pm On Jul 28, 2017
I hate when people dabble into what they know next to nothing about. How on Earth will someone will asking a dumb question that if Edo is a language, I consider that as an insult to the Edo Nation. When you a educationally handicapped please make effort to study or ask informed people. For your education; Edo language is Spoken by all descendants of the Ancient Benin Kingdom, who are predominantly found in Edo state, hence the name Edo. At the creation of Edo state from then BENDEL (Benin and Delta), then Edo Vice-President of Nigeria Admiral Aikhomu, Traditional Rulers of the BENIN side now Edo state, agreed that the name of our state should reflect our collective Ethnic Identity; EDO. Benin city is the ancestral home of all the people of the state. The Etsako, Owan, Akoko Edo (whose name predates the formation of Edo state) and Esan speak variations of the Bini/Edo Central Language and Oba of Benin is the Overlord in Edo state he is the father of all the Traditional Rulers in the state. We don't different languages in Edo state but One Language; Edo with different variations as you move away from the centre; Benin city. Abakaliki Ibo is not Comprehensible to an Owerri man and vice-versa, Owo dialect is not comprehensible to an Ijebu man and Vice-versa but they are referred to as Igbo language and Yoruba respectively. So also is Etsako, Owan, Akoko Edo is to Bini and vice-versa. So please stay out of what you know nothing about. Our dear state is Edo state and our Language is called Edo. I hope you are educated now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by Maimen: 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2017
I hate when people dabble into what they know next to nothing about. How on Earth will someone will asking a dumb question that if Edo is a language, I consider that as an insult to the Edo Nation. When you a educationally handicapped please make effort to study or ask informed people. For your education; Edo language is Spoken by all descendants of the Ancient Benin Kingdom, who are predominantly found in Edo state, hence the name Edo. At the creation of Edo state from then BENDEL (Benin and Delta), then Edo Vice-President of Nigeria Admiral Aikhomu, Traditional Rulers of the BENIN side now Edo state, agreed that the name of our state should reflect our collective Ethnic Identity; EDO. Benin city is the ancestral home of all the people of the state. The Etsako, Owan, Akoko Edo (whose name predates the formation of Edo state) and Esan speak variations of the Bini/Edo Central Language and Oba of Benin is the Overlord in Edo state he is the father of all the Traditional Rulers in the state. We don't different languages in Edo state but One Language; Edo with different variations as you move away from the centre; Benin city. Abakaliki Ibo is not Comprehensible to an Owerri man and vice-versa, Owo dialect is not comprehensible to an Ijebu man and Vice-versa but they are referred to as Igbo language and Yoruba respectively. So also is Etsako, Owan, Akoko Edo is to Bini and vice-versa. So please stay out of what you know nothing about. Our dear state is Edo state and our Language is called Edo. I hope you are educated now.
Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by Maimen: 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2017
Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by edkai: 9:07pm On Jul 29, 2017
Good evening fellow nairalanders. Pardon me for having to deviate from the topic...please I'd like to solicit your support on behalf of one of my protégés. I am a teacher.
Her name is Ayeni Olohije from Edo state. She is contesting for a scholarship position at the Royal Arts Academy courtesy Emem Isong. She needs as many votes as she can get right now. The contest is a very stiff one. So please help her to take a step closer to her dream of being a movie director by following her unique link below and vote for her. You are free to also drop a comment. I assure you, your vote is not wasted. Thank you and God bless you. Here is her link;
http://www.thesparkng.com/rookie-contest/?contest=photo-detail&photo_id=54772
Re: Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:45am On Jul 31, 2017
Maimen:

Tell those illiterates !!…..... WORD

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which State Is Least Racist And Low For Gun Crime. / Define Nigerian Culture In A Sentence / Black People Are The Superior Race .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.