Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,411 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Why Bleach? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Bleach? (2745 Views)

Does JIK (bleach) Have Any Side Effect? / Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. / Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Bleach? by angrynaija: 1:52am On Oct 16, 2010
can someone tell me why nigerian women bleach their skin?. the face ends up a different shade from the rest of the body. the face develops spots and the fingers/finger nails all become more black than their hands. ridiculous.
Re: Why Bleach? by Osama10(m): 1:53am On Oct 16, 2010
Help me ask them?
Re: Why Bleach? by InkedNerd(f): 3:24am On Oct 16, 2010
A lot of people are ignorantly slathering those nonsense things on their body. I don't agree with skin bleaching BUT if that's what an individual wants to do then so be it. Its just a matter of doing it in a safe manner. If people would just go to a dermatologist and consult a professional then they'd know that there are SAFE and PROFESSIONAL ways to "bleach" and/or "lighten" their skin if that's what they want to do. People don't seems to realize the dangers of those HORRID bleaching products. Those things are FULL of mercury, steroids or other harmful skin bleaching substances. Don't allow yourselves to be fooled by a lot of theses companies. Even companies like Dove which pride themselves on being accepting of people of all forms since they've launched their whole "The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty" in 2004 have alternative motives. Their parent company, Unilever is tied to producing add that actually contradict their Dove campaigns >>> http://aseachange.com/blog-illusionists/2008/10/an-egregious-example-of-corporate-hypocrisy-doves-real-beauty-campaignuponco/ . Another company that has jumped onto the skin lightening band wagon is Vaseline which is also under the Unilever corporation. In 2010, the company launched a Facebook skin lightening application which enabled users to lighten their skin tones. This application was all part of a marketing campaign to sell products foe their new mens line >>> http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/07/23/multinational-corporations-and-the-cultivation-of-colorism/. Honestly, I was in no way shocked by any of it.
Re: Why Bleach? by Sissy3(f): 8:32am On Oct 16, 2010
most know no better
Re: Why Bleach? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2010
In Jamaica skin bleaching is a problem because of slavery. People tend to forget it wasn't just A.A.s who were affected by the slave trade, it was also devastating in the Caribbean and due to race mixing our ancestors saw that the mulatto children recieved better treatment compared to the Ebony ones. Skin bleaching got its start in Jamaica in the early nineties but it was only those who were abroad at that time who would go back home lighter in complexion then in 1992 Buju Bantan release a song called "Mi luv mi browning" (I love my lightskinned woman) and the dark skinned Jamaican women went BANANAS! As a result some became obsessed with their blackness and angry with him and others left lingering and feeling self pity. He released a song called "Mi love mi blackning" (I love my black skinned women) to put their mind as ease and let them know he loves them too but the damage was already done.

When the skin bleaching creams were being brought back by Jamaicans from abroad they werent yet popular and those who jumped on the bandwagon to get their "rapper/ dj boyfriends" like the lightskinned and Asian Jamaican women were, would go to desperate measures such as MIXING CLOROX BLEACH WITH TOOTH PASTE and rubbing it on their skin. Eventually by the late nineties and early 2000s bleaching creme companies noticed the demand in Jamaica and now the supply is without end. It was so bad the gov.t had to place a national ban on it and like naughty children the very illegalizing of the product was enough to make more people want it and now smuggling it is nothing! Some women will spend their last dollar LITERALLY, rather than buy food to purchase bleaching creams because "it will attract their meal ticket (men)". BET's over rating of Beyonce, Rihanna, Mya, and Tyra Banks but downplaying of Kelly Rowland, Fantasia and even Jamaica's own Naomi Campbell is another major reason why some black skinned girls run to bleach to achieve the "better complexion" and they are not the only ones, even the LIGHT SKINNED Jamaican women bleach too to get the "Nice and white" complexion.

The good thing is that it is some NOT all! but with some of our female entertainers in Jamaica doing it and being proud like when Lisa Hyper release the song "Mi proud a mi bleachin" (Proud of my bleaching) which gives ppl directions on how to bleach it's saddening. But with people like the Rastafarian music artists, dancehall artists like Mavado and Bounty Killer and Queen Ifrica releasing songs condeming bleaching I see hope!  smiley Queen Ifrica's "Nah rub" (I wont rub) actually helped my step sister to stop bleaching. I dont find white or light skin attractive in fact I strictly date chocolate men (preferably African lol) that's how much I love my blackness but as someone said above not everyone is going to get it so "to each his own".

Re: Why Bleach? by ReLaTE(m): 7:22pm On Oct 16, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

In Jamaica skin bleaching is a problem because of slavery. People tend to forget it wasn't just A.A.s who were affected by the slave trade, it was also devastating in the Caribbean and due to race mixing our ancestors saw that the mulatto children recieved better treatment compared to the Ebony ones. Skin bleaching got its start in Jamaica in the early nineties but it was only those who were abroad at that time who would go back home lighter in complexion then in 1992 Buju Bantan release a song called "Mi luv mi browning" (I love my lightskinned woman) and the dark skinned Jamaican women went BANANAS! As a result some became obsessed with their blackness and angry with him and others left lingering and feeling self pity. He released a song called "Mi love mi blackning" (I love my black skinned women) to put their mind as ease and let them know he loves them too but the damage was already done.

When the skin bleaching creams were being brought back by Jamaicans from abroad they werent yet popular and those who jumped on the bandwagon to get their "rapper/ dj boyfriends" like the lightskinned and Asian Jamaican women were, would go to desperate measures such as MIXING CLOROX BLEACH WITH TOOTH PASTE and rubbing it on their skin. Eventually by the late nineties and early 2000s bleaching creme companies noticed the demand in Jamaica and now the supply is without end. It was so bad the gov.t had to place a national ban on it and like naughty children the very illegalizing of the product was enough to make more people want it and now smuggling it is nothing! Some women will spend their last dollar LITERALLY, rather than buy food to purchase bleaching creams because "it will attract their meal ticket (men)". BET's over rating of Beyonce, Rihanna, Mya, and Tyra Banks but downplaying of Kelly Rowland, Fantasia and even Jamaica's own Naomi Campbell is another major reason why some black skinned girls run to bleach to achieve the "better complexion" and they are not the only ones, even the LIGHT SKINNED Jamaican women bleach too to get the "Nice and white" complexion.

The good thing is that it is some NOT all! but with some of our female entertainers in Jamaica doing it and being proud like when Lisa Hyper release the song "Mi proud a mi bleachin" (Proud of my bleaching) which gives ppl directions on how to bleach it's saddening. But with people like the Rastafarian music artists, dancehall artists like Mavado and Bounty Killer and Queen Ifrica releasing songs condeming bleaching I see hope!  smiley Queen Ifrica's "Nah rub" (I wont rub) actually helped my step sister to stop bleaching. I dont find white or light skin attractive in fact I strictly date chocolate men (preferably African lol) that's how much I love my blackness but as someone said above not everyone is going to get it so "to each his own".
i love ths ur writeup.
Re: Why Bleach? by sms4health: 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2010
Peer pressure, ignorance ,
Re: Why Bleach? by Sissy3(f): 3:11am On Oct 17, 2010
clorox and tootpaste shocked shocked shocked shocked oh my!
Re: Why Bleach? by whiteroses(f): 1:28am On Oct 18, 2010
well i av a friend that bleaches, this girl was an international student and used to carry bible around now she's a skanky hoe. her skin to me looks disgusting but i'll never tell her know its gross on her, she started at first year of uni i used to get jealous cos she wasnt supposed to look more appealing than me, i saw it as cheating lol, now her skin looks bleeped, her face is red and and the cheek bones are black, i said its bad she said her sunscreen has finished, later later she stopped for a month and she got an ugly tan, she turned as black as a pot! she started the cream and it dint work again, so she brought out the big dog MAKARI maxi skin bleach, and now she looks as white as a chinese, she removed her shoes oneday her feet were like milk i thot this is not the life tongue
Re: Why Bleach? by Nobody: 3:46am On Oct 18, 2010
^ yes girl i've seen my share of "bleachies" and stomach turning is an understatement! who wants to walk around looking permanently ashy?
Re: Why Bleach? by UKman37(m): 3:20pm On Oct 18, 2010
no wonder the sale of skin bleach creams is illegal in the UK
Re: Why Bleach? by honeric01(m): 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2010
Bleaching cream = Skin cancer.

do your own research and don't ask me how i came about that!
Re: Why Bleach? by segzicres(m): 4:39pm On Oct 18, 2010
they are just very dull then the beach and it washes away the small brains that they have.

(1) (Reply)

How Do We Correct Weak Memory / Man With 10-stone Testicles / Fill This Form If You Are Experiencing Symptoms Of Covid-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.