Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,003 members, 7,835,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Please, Is Age Still On My Side? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please, Is Age Still On My Side? (5092 Views)

Is Age Reduction In One's Cv Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by kulreal: 3:21am On Jul 31, 2019
I've been trying to find someone to share what I'm passing through right now with but I can't just find any, perhaps not to feel ridiculed or I don't just get; reason for coming on this forum.

I'm currently seeking admission into one of the federal universities here in Nigeria but unable to decide which course to go for due to my deficit knowledge of what the future holds.
Though from the outset of my Jamb registration early this year, I planned going for medical laboratory science but right now I'm just confused due to the age factor. I'm 23 years old presently and MLS is 5 years course (provided no strike) + 1 year internship + 1 year service making total of 7 years. Adding this to my age, I'd be 30 years by the time I'm done.
So to avoid this, I want to change to pure and industrial chemistry which is 4 years + 1 year service meaning by the time I'm done I'd be 28 years.
Now my questions are:
1) Assuming I go for MLS and considering my age after service, will I still be considered employable in the job market?
2) Also if I decided to change to PIC, what does the future holds cus I do hear most of their graduates are into teaching?
Thanks for your time and invaluable responses

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by kulreal: 3:23am On Jul 31, 2019
@lalasticlala kindly help me move this for wider view
Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Niyeal(m): 4:54am On Jul 31, 2019
kulreal:
I've been trying to find someone to share what I'm passing through right now with but I can't just find any, perhaps not to feel ridiculed or I don't just get; reason for coming on this forum.

I'm currently seeking admission into one of the federal universities here in Nigeria but unable to decide which course to go for due to my deficit knowledge of what the future holds.
Though from the outset of my Jamb registration early this year, I planned going for medical laboratory science but right now I'm just confused due to the age factor. I'm 23 years old presently and MLS is 5 years course (provided no strike) + 1 year internship + 1 year service making total of 7 years. Adding this to my age, I'd be 30 years by the time I'm done.
So to avoid this, I want to change to pure and industrial chemistry which is 4 years + 1 year service meaning by the time I'm done I'd be 28 years.
Now my questions are:
1) Assuming I go for MLS and considering my age after service, will I still be considered employable in the job market?
2) Also if I decided to change to PIC, what does the future holds cus I do hear most of their graduates are into teaching?
Stop daydreaming just go and study any course, nowadays what you study doesn't matter

8 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by estyvino(m): 5:27am On Jul 31, 2019
Go for nursing, you will thank me later .

After graduation, leave this country and you will be highly placed as doctors. Canada in mind!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by GreenArrow2: 6:52am On Jul 31, 2019
kulreal:

Now my questions are:

You better read a course that won't have you hunting for jobs after graduation. Don't take that advice that what you read doesn't matter. It does. MLS, Nursing, medicine -related fields are in high demand. Go there. No do any chemistry abeg.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Davash222(m): 6:59am On Jul 31, 2019
Pass the Post UME first.

3 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 31, 2019
GreenArrow2:

You better read a course that won't have you hunting for jobs after graduation. Don't take that advice that what you read doesn't matter. It does. MLS, Nursing, medicine -related fields are in high demand. Go there. No do any chemistry abeg.

What matters most is how soon you get a job after graduation not how early you graduate. Industrial chemistry is a no for me, las las Na teaching job.

Go for nursing,mls even medicine if you got the brains for it.

16 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by hpymoment(f): 7:38am On Jul 31, 2019
Go and research, chemistry has been proven to be one of the hardest course more than mls, nursing and even medical related ones but guess what? After suffering yourself reading chemistry in Nigeria, u won't get any job except teaching except on special Grace. Go and read mls, if u are using neco, u can easily reduce your age.

3 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by CrimeKsmart: 8:29am On Jul 31, 2019
Just 23 and you are thinking you are old already.... Stop making your fear of the future deter your success because the decision you make today determines who you are tomorrow.

Sincerely you are not old at all to start a 6 yrs course.

11 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by banquetking: 8:33am On Jul 31, 2019
No hurry in life bro.

The mere fact one starts late doesn't mean one can't be successful career wise.

I know a close friend who finished school at 30 and currently works at an international firm in England.

What i am saying is take your chances as they come, life has no hard fast rule.

My two cents.

9 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Margy: 8:45am On Jul 31, 2019
Industrial chemistry is a nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!..
Don you want to end up marking Waec and Neco scripts, or be a teacher?

Secure your future dear lad!.. mls will go a long way for you and good thing you can be self employed.

5 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by urchman101(m): 8:45am On Jul 31, 2019
kulreal:

Now my questions are:

Well, the major problem I think you have is the fear of the unknown. In all honesty, nobody knows tomorrow and what works for Mr A may not work for Mr B. So no matter the advice you get from here, the consequences will still be yours. My response to you is to first of all remove fear from the equation, look inwardly and make well informed projections. People have made fortunes with both courses in Nigeria. I know some people who studied PIC and are in the Pharmaceutical and Oil and Gas companies doing well for themselves.
Also within both courses nothing stops you from exploring outside the shores of this country. I will end by saying trust God in all the things you do and work extremely hard to graduate with a very good result.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by mrNEMZY(m): 8:49am On Jul 31, 2019
I would advise you go for medlab. I don't think the health sector segregades those that are looking for Job based on age.

In industrial chemistry however, if you mistakingly reach 30 without securing a job, your age would start hunting you.
Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by aorseer: 9:05am On Jul 31, 2019
kulreal:

Now my questions are:
Go for the course of your choice and be the best. Age will not matter when you are the best

4 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by jrerico1(m): 9:29am On Jul 31, 2019
I have to tell you that education does not have an age limit. Anyone can go to School at any time because you know your purpose... Don't start thinking about work now, attain your degree first in any decipline, then you are off to go

3 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by horlahwaley(m): 9:41am On Jul 31, 2019
GreenArrow2:

Op just follow this advice i studied MLS. Yet to do my induction and am already working though the pay aint much but it keeps me going.

6 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Katier00(f): 9:51am On Jul 31, 2019
Reduce your age to 19 na. Even Buhari can't tell his real age. On a serious note, you are still young, if you are lucky, you can get a job at 35. Don't just think about being just an employee think about being an employer of labour by thinking out the box. God bless you and may you get admission this year.
Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 31, 2019
I understand that you are already 23 years old! It is never late to PURSUE your dream.
Just learn a SKILL. If you are into IT, learn how to program.

2 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by timibare(m): 10:55am On Jul 31, 2019
Learn trade..... b ur own boss

2 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by BUTTERMILKSUGAR(m): 11:28am On Jul 31, 2019
My guy you are still very young. When you get to NYSC camp later in life is when you will realize you are still VERRRRRRY young.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 31, 2019
Katier00:
Don't just think about being just an employee think about being an employer of labour by thinking out the box. God bless you and may you get admission this year.

Yeah you right girl

1 Like

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by obynno7(m): 11:59am On Jul 31, 2019
no hurry in Life currently am a medical lab.science student of UNN 200level and am 25 years old but I no that my age canneva lemit my success After graduation so u beta follow ur dream

6 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by yinkacruxzy: 12:18pm On Jul 31, 2019
Baba put the fear of tomorrow aside and pursue your dream .Am 24 and in 200level studying Mechanical engineering...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by GrammarNazi1(m): 12:23pm On Jul 31, 2019
aorseer:

Go for the course of your choice and be the best. Age will not matter when you are the best
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Jman06(m): 1:00pm On Jul 31, 2019
hpymoment:
Go and research, chemistry has been proven to be one of the hardest course more than mls, nursing and even medical related ones but guess what? After suffering yourself reading chemistry in Nigeria, u won't get any job except teaching except on special Grace. Go and read mls, if u are using neco, u can easily reduce your age.
What is so hard about chemistry please It is an interesting course and I like it( one of my A courses), but to say it is harder than Mls and medical courses is an exaggeration.

@op, pls go for Mls for your own good! But if you really are in love with PIC, then go for it but be prepared to return to school after first degree for your msc and PhD so you can be better placed in education and research!

2 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Bobcygan: 2:30pm On Jul 31, 2019
Are you really kidding me, if age is really a factor for choosing a particular course don't go for it at all, I became a doctor at the age of 34, I had to wait n not moved by age factor. Waiting to study the right course doesn't cost you anything.
How Will you go and study chemistry and end up in secondary school or perhaps a lecturer in one polytechnic and be feeding from mouth to mouth. U need to study a course dt fits d Nigerian environment. MLS is by far better than chemistry in terms of job availability after graduation. Pls learn from the wise one.

4 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 31, 2019
Go for MLS because it is a professional course n u will easily find job.Dnt try industrial chem because of no job.For NYSC,u can pay ur way down dere .Gudluk
kulreal:
@lalasticlala kindly help me move this for wider view

1 Like

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 31, 2019
OP. You aren't too old to study any of the above courses. In fact you aren't too old to study medicine.

My only advice for you is that you should study a course that you love and enjoy learning about. That way it will be a part of your life and not a burden on your life. That doesn't mean it will be easy but it will be definitely lighter and more motivating.

4 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by caseyjones(m): 3:10pm On Jul 31, 2019
Me am young oo,i want to study in london who is willing to sponsor me

1 Like

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by hpymoment(f): 4:11pm On Jul 31, 2019
Jman06:
What is so hard about chemistry please It is an interesting course and I like it( one of my A courses), but to say it is harder than Mls and medical courses is an exaggeration.

@op, pls go for Mls for your own good! But if you really are in love with PIC, then go for it but be prepared to return to school after first degree for your msc and PhD so you can be better placed in education and research!

You read chemistry as a borrowed course and the people that did chemistry as a major course knows what I'm saying. Ask anyone.
Especially those in chemical engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by egopersonified(f): 4:29pm On Jul 31, 2019
in the grand scheme of life, there is no difference between 28 and 30

3 Likes

Re: Please, Is Age Still On My Side? by handie(m): 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2019
Lolz. See this my guy. Its never too late bro..... My story long and you can check my previous posts to see it. But in all, e no ever too late. I know of a man who started primary school at the age of 21(Unbelievable but na only him talk am and I don't think he has any reason to lie to me). Guess what bro? He rose to the top management of the central bank where he retired and is gracefully enjoying his retirement. E no ever dey too late my brother

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Of The Craziest Military Training Exercises / Only A Genius Can Crack The Code(pics) / Unilorin Political Science Exam Question That Got Students Sweating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.