Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? (2341 Views)

What Are Those Cool Songs You Listen To At Night After A Hectic Day? / Nairalanders: Do You Still Listen To Radio Programs? / Do You Still Listen To Radio Programs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Brownteeth(m): 11:56pm On Oct 16, 2010
Hip pop is simply for young people cos the lyrical themes of this kind of music centers on the kind of stuffs that interests and occupy the mind of youths at that stage of life, and these are things such as sex, relationship, money and women.
Therefore I think it will be a misfit for a 50 year old to listen to this kind of music. Its just like an adult who still spends time viewing cartoon Network.
What kind music will you switch to when you overgrow hip pop?
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by hax: 1:25am On Oct 17, 2010
Jay-Z at over 40 is getting kids to wear 'all black everything' and no one looks at him as a 'misfit'. And any adult who has kids will DEFINITELY watch alot of Cartoon Network. How else do you deal with restless kids? Kids who don't watch cartoons become thugs. lol

And rap isn't about the things you just pointed out. There are rappers like Common, Nas, Talib Kweli and Mos Def that rap about topics grown men can relate to. Like love, having kids, street poetry and general introspection. Don't generalise hip hop like that. I think we're even moving away from the gangsta rap era. It's frowned upon these days, and is generally unprofitable lol.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by bouzymill(m): 1:49am On Oct 17, 2010
I got married on Saturday and still on honeymoon I discovered a soulful mc called "SHAD" (Shadrak Kabango) on monday. It doesn't look like I'm going to stop listening to Real HipHop forever and ever and ever (amen)

Come to think of it . . . . REAL HIPHOP IS NOT FOR KIDS am I wrong?
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by eldee(m): 2:31am On Oct 17, 2010
Nah . . . probably not.

Even young Drake once said that . . . 'hiphop is a children's hobby'.
Most of the themes of rap songs will not be of any interest to me at 50. . . and the fact that most rappers will refuse to grow up due to fear of change too.
Now we have a handful of people rapping about mature topics but I know it will just be another era that will pass away before I'm 40.
All that will happen is that one gangster/black nationalist who's really good at rapping will get big and influence the rappers to go back to those days.

It happened after Pac's death, there's nothing to stop it from happening again. Hiphop is too narrow-minded, any minor change is heavily criticised.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by bouzymill(m): 3:07am On Oct 17, 2010
eldee:

Nah . . . probably not.
Even young Drake once said that . . . 'hiphop is a children's hobby'.

Well, maybe the kind of hiphop drake does is for children, maybe. . .
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Genuflect(m): 6:43am On Oct 17, 2010
If whatever they are doing then sounds good to my ears, why not?
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Brownteeth(m): 10:50am On Oct 17, 2010
@Hax. I know about rappers like Nas and co who talk about general issues concerning life, but the fact still remains that 90% of hip pop music dwell on the themes I mentioned. Even if you still have to listen to hip pop, you have to be selective cos there are hip pop songs that are totally not for adults.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Brownteeth(m): 10:55am On Oct 17, 2010
@bouzymill. What do you consider as REAL HIP POP? Enlighten me please.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by googles: 11:17am On Oct 17, 2010
Honestly, I dont see myself listening to any other genre. . . blues,country,rock they all make me sick

r'n'b and pop sounds mushy to me at my young age talk more of wen am all gray. . .and err I wouldnt do fuji or apala just because am old

btw lissening to hip-hop is different from adopting the hip hop culture. . dat i lissen to it doesn't mean i have to cuss along or sag my pants at 50
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by tpiah: 11:20am On Oct 17, 2010
do you mean hip hop because i dont know if there's anything like hip pop although never say never.

ara ti ndara agba so please keep me informed if there's a new development going by that name.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Fred87(m): 1:17pm On Oct 17, 2010
Most def.am still gonna listen mehn cos'v always been selective unless the future is all soulja boys.eeeezz
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by hax: 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2010
bouzymill:

I got married on Saturday and still on honeymoon [size=15pt]I discovered a soulful mc called "SHAD" (Shadrak Kabango) on monday[/size]. It doesn't look like I'm going to stop listening to Real HipHop forever and ever and ever (amen)

Come to think of it .    .     .      .  REAL HIPHOP IS NOT FOR KIDS am I wrong?

if only you muhfuggas paid attention when i post threads about rappers you should listen to.

i posted a thread about him a long time ago. i keep posting threads about dope mcs and no one bothers to listen. your loss!  angry lol

@eldee be quiet jor lol

were you not the one praising jay-z's 'new direction' on BP3? people aren't rapping about what they used to. it's now even worse. drake sings about his hoes, weezy about his money AND hoes, minaj about her a-ss and pu-ssy,  etc etc
you get the point. mainstream hip hop has gone down the drain lol

@ brownteeth- i don't listen to that 90% of hip hop then. there's A LOT of dope rappers in that 10%. i'm cool with that. grin

but imo, the good outweighs the bad.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by bouzymill(m): 10:54pm On Oct 17, 2010
hax:

if only you muhfuggas paid attention when i post threads about rappers you should listen to.

i posted a thread about him a long time ago. i keep posting threads about dope mcs and no one bothers to listen. your loss!  angry lol

brah!!!! it's cool you rep the realness. . . i don't know about your previous post. though i can see it now but. . . to me, discovering artists who make my kind of music is even an art to me. I dig just like the way Producers dig for samples and I love doing it.

I've got the two Shad's albums (The Old Prince and TSOL) and since I discovered both Rose garden has been my favourite. It's cool you listen to real hiphop too. . . and i'ld usually watch out for your reccomendations. . .

Brownteeth:

@bouzymill. What do you consider as REAL HIP POP? Enlighten me please.

Mehn!!! there's this kinda argument in some quaters that there's nothing like "real hiphop". . . their defence is Hiphop is Hiphop. However, what most people call hiphop today is not the "real" hiphop. . . it's better to add that adjective "real" to lay emphasis.

BUt the question what is real hiphop? bruva. . . I can't explain like that. All I know is when I see real hiphop, I know it. . . maybe that's not too clear, that's what I can do for now. . .
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by hax: 11:45pm On Oct 17, 2010
bouzymill:

brah!!!! it's cool you rep the realness.  .  . i don't know about your previous post. though i can see it now but.  .   . to me, discovering artists who make my kind of music is even an art to me. I dig just like the way Producers dig for samples and I love doing it.

I've got the two Shad's albums (The Old Prince and TSOL) and since I discovered both Rose garden has been my favourite. It's cool you listen to real hiphop too.  .   . and i'ld usually watch out for your reccomendations. .  .
I like 'Voice of an angel', 'Get up', 'Yaa I get it', 'I don't like to', and 'Lucky 1's'.
Shad is too sick.
Nah, he has 3. 'The Old Prince' wasn't his debut. He had one before that. it's 'When This Is Over'. Dropped in 2005.
Haven't heard it yet though.

sneak peek. the next one's Blu. grin

Mehn!!! there's this kinda argument in some quaters that there's nothing like "real hiphop".  .  . their defence is Hiphop is Hiphop. However, what most people call hiphop today is not the "real" hiphop.  .   .  it's better to add that adjective "real"  to lay emphasis.

BUt the question what is real hiphop? bruva. . . I can't explain like that. All I know is when I see real hiphop, I know it.  .  . maybe that's not too clear, that's what I can do for now.  .  .
not in the mood to start thinking. but for a start, 'real hip hop' involves more rapping than singing.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by eldee(m): 1:02am On Oct 18, 2010
hax:

@eldee be quiet jor lol

were you not the one praising jay-z's 'new direction' on BP3? people aren't rapping about what they used to. it's now even worse. drake sings about his hoes, weezy about his money AND hoes, minaj about her a-ss and pu-ssy,  etc etc
you get the point. mainstream hip hop has gone down the drain lol

I praised Jay-Z's attempt to force hiphop to grow up . . . your point is??

And everything Weezy or Nikki say now is soft compared to what they rappers used to do in the past.
Mainstream hiphop has gone down the drain?? Oh yeah, Snoop Dogg is more mature than Drake and yeah Lil Kim is an angel compared to Nikki.

At the end of the day it's simple . . . will I be listening to hiphop at 50?? Nope.
I'd prolly still be a fan of U2 and The Script though, definitely dropping Arsenal at 30, I don't wanna die of HBP.

P.S The four Drake works I have don't have anything about hoes, dunno what one you're listening to.

bouzymill:

Well,   maybe the kind of hiphop drake does is for children, maybe.  .  .

You don't listen to Drake. . . he's more of a grown up Usher Raymond that raps.
His main themes are his struggle towards success and how it conflicts with his old life, his past relationships and just his emotions.
That, in my opinion may be kinda childish . . . but more mature than most of the rappers you see around old and new.
He even left most of the money talk at Comeback season.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by bouzymill(m): 1:22am On Oct 18, 2010
hax:

I like 'Voice of an angel', 'Get up', 'Yaa I get it', 'I don't like to', and 'Lucky 1's'.
Shad is too sick.
Nah, he has 3. 'The Old Prince' wasn't his debut. He had one before that. it's 'When This Is Over'. Dropped in 2005.
Haven't heard it yet though.

really? thanx for the update man!!! thought Old Prince was the debut

hax:

sneak peek. the next one's Blu. grin
cool. . .

hax:

not in the mood to start thinking. but for a start, 'real hip hop' involves more rapping than singing.
exactly. I dont want to start thinking about conceptualizing real hiphop but I think it's more of the state of mind and not just the words. Mos def Sings sometimes,  liike he did that in most of the tracks in Tru3 Magic
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by hax: 1:34am On Oct 18, 2010
eldee:

I praised Jay-Z's attempt to force hiphop to grow up . . . your point is??
was just hatin'. lol
but that was my point.  Jay-Z tried to make his album sound 'grown up'. looks like he succeeded. if anyone wants to change, why not? eminem stopped rapping about killing mariah, he 'grew up', no one complained. they're changing their subject matters gradually. maybe others will follow. (not that i like it though)

And everything Weezy or Nikki say now is soft compared to what they rappers used to do in the past.
Mainstream hiphop has gone down the drain?? Oh yeah, Snoop Dogg is more mature than Drake and yeah Lil Kim is an angel compared to Nikki.
the important thing is in their prime they made better music. but that's beside the point.
there were cats like guru and jeru the damaja and scarface and nas and mos def and talib kweli and common sense in the mainstream trying to make sense and sound matured. compare 20 year old nas in '94 and 18 year old havoc in '95 in 'the infamous' to 20 year old B.o.B and tyga.
sh-it is real son, word is bond. lol

At the end of the day it's simple . . . will I be listening to hiphop at 50?? Nope.
I'd prolly still be a fan of U2 and The Script though, definitely dropping Arsenal at 30, I don't wanna die of HBP.
lol

P.S The four Drake works I have don't have anything about hoes, dunno what one you're listening to.
I just want the money, money and the cars, cars and the clothes, the HOES, i suppose. . .
and by hoes, i also mean proposals to nicki minaj, songs about his ex's who are 5'3 in height, the best he's ever had, etc. nahmean?

You don't listen to Drake. . . he's more of a grown up Usher Raymond that raps.
His main themes are his struggle towards success and how it conflicts with his old life, his past relationships and just his emotions.
That, in my opinion may be kinda childish . . . but more mature than most of the rappers you see around old and new.
how do you sound 'matured' then? that's exactly how to sound matured, if done correctly. maybe drake isn't doing it correctly.

He even left most of the money talk at Comeback season.
really?

'money just changed everything, i wonder how life without it would go'

You know, that's the very first line on his very first album.  undecided
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by semid4lyfe(m): 6:57am On Oct 18, 2010
As Man dey grow, na so im dey acquire some new tastes and dey drop some old ones so I seriously doubt it.

Even now, I don't listen to as much hiphop/rap as I used to back in Sec School days. I'll be more into Soul, Jazz, instrumental, highlife and other slow kinda music.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Hardballer(m): 11:48am On Oct 18, 2010
on the downlow maybe but ill be more into jazz n all tht so i look responsible
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by eldee(m): 10:05am On Oct 21, 2010
the important thing is in their prime they made better music. but that's beside the point.
there were cats like guru and jeru the damaja and scarface and nas and mos def and talib kweli and common sense in the mainstream trying to make sense and sound matured. compare 20 year old nas in '94 and 18 year old havoc in '95 in 'the infamous' to 20 year old B.o.B and tyga.
sh-it is real son, word is bond. lol

Yeah . . . the 20 year old Nas/Scarface/Big L I remember was rapping about guns, the 20 year old Snoop I remember was rapping about pussy . . . how is that different from Tyga and Weezy rapping bout weed??

I just want the money, money and the cars, cars and the clothes, the HOES, i suppose. . .
and by hoes, i also mean proposals to nicki minaj, songs about his ex's who are 5'3 in height, the best he's ever had, etc. nahmean?

Have you listened to the song?? Tell me if you heard him mention hoes once.
And rapping about past relationships isn't immature, MJ made a career of it.

how do you sound 'matured' then? that's exactly how to sound matured, if done correctly. maybe drake isn't doing it correctly.
I meant 'that in your opinion'. . . Drake is more mature than all those guys of the 90s.

really?

'money just changed everything, i wonder how life without it would go'

You know, that's the very first line on his very first album.

You define that as money talk?? ?? Even broke-ass Nas did more money talk on We make The World go round.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Bamsyle2(m): 11:38am On Oct 21, 2010
I most prolly will.

Life without Music is a Graveyard . . . Rap is Music . . . and it cuts across all ages, faces, races, religion, and genders . . .

I dunno . . . but it's prolly the rap fans, or "Hip Hop heads" that have carved a bad image for Rap Music . . . pundits want every rapper to 'keep it real', and sound hardcore or underground . . . any rapper who doesn't do it the "hardcore" way ain't reckoned with in the Hip Hop Community . . . hence the casual listener to Rap thinks it's all about "Guns, Sex, and Weed" . . .

Rap, like every other genre of Music, can be melodious and pleasing to the ears . . . it doesn't necessarily have to be that brawl of a voice . . . or harsh music filled with braggodocio, threats and intimidation . . .

That said, I doubt that 50-year olds would be interested in WuTang, Canibus, Saigon, or Crooked I - their content might be too 'hardcore' . . . I doubt also that they would be interested in 2pac, Biggie, DMX, Ja Rule, Eminem or Redman - their content might be too 'violent' . . . they might find Drake, Lil' Wayne, Kanye West and Soulja Boi too "childish" . . . I even doubt that they'll find Talib Kweli, Nas, Black Thought, or Common appealing - their content might be too "mentally challenging or stimulating" for their age . . .

What thots would most prolly dominate a 50-year old's mind?? Relaxing at the beach, hanging out with friends once a while . . . generally living a good life in retirement. At 50, most folks just create a complacent world where ignorance is bliss and 'intelligence' is an old, worn-out, and seldomly-worn hat . . . which 50-year old folk wanna follow Chuck D to "fight the power" or be a "street disciple" like Nas??

Most 50-year olds would most prolly listen to some types of Rap for relaxation/enjoyment . . . they'll prolly want the typa Rap that's devoid of cussing, swearing and uttering sheer profanities . . . Rap without explicit, violent or "too motivational" content . . . the type performed by Will Smith, T-Bone (lol), TobyMac (lol) . . . and the new Ma$e.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by eldee(m): 11:42am On Oct 21, 2010
Bamsyle.:

Most 50-year olds would most prolly listen to some types of Rap for relaxation/enjoyment . . . they'll prolly want the typa Rap that's devoid of cussing, swearing and uttering sheer profanities

Or they could just listen to Coldplay, U2, Marvin Gaye and people who spent their careers making music for grown ups.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by debosky(m): 11:45am On Oct 21, 2010
Is Terry G hiphop? cheesy

Cos I'll still be listening to his free madness nonsense till I'm 50 grin.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by iice(f): 11:50am On Oct 21, 2010
Bamsyle.:

What thots would most prolly dominate a 50-year old's mind?? Relaxing at the beach, hanging out with friends once a while . . . generally living a good life in retirement.

Take your time ooo angry grin grin

@Topic
Yea i prolly still will, still do, always will grin
I'm already eclectic with my music so everything's still gonna be on the same page.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Bamsyle2(m): 11:53am On Oct 21, 2010
iice:

Take your time ooo angry grin grin

Hehehe . . . topic said 50 . . . not, erm, 65 grin tongue
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Bamsyle2(m): 11:55am On Oct 21, 2010
eldee:

Or they could just listen to Coldplay, U2, Marvin Gaye and people who spent their careers making music for grown ups.

Yes, and Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder . . . even Asa . . . unfortunately these are not rappers tongue
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by eldee(m): 12:00pm On Oct 21, 2010
Bamsyle.:

Yes, and Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder . . . even Asa . . . unfortunately these are not rappers tongue

There's not statute of Parliament that says every black man has to listen to people talk over repetitive beats at 50.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Bamsyle2(m): 12:43pm On Oct 21, 2010
eldee:

There's not statute of Parliament that says every black man has to listen to people talk over repetitive beats at 50.

The topic is Hip Hop . . . and the main thrust of my argument is about why any 50-year old would wanna listen to Rap Music . . . comprende??
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by eldee(m): 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2010
Bamsyle.:

The topic is Hip Hop . . . and the main thrust of my argument is about why any 50-year old would wanna listen to Rap Music . . . comprende??

And I'm saying . . . why go into all this hard work when you could just get an Asa album.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by Bamsyle2(m): 1:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
eldee:

And I'm saying . . . why go into all this hard work when you could just get an Asa album.

Well, most 50-year olds might want Asa and the rest . . . but my post is narrowly focused on those handful who'll still wanna listen to Rap at 50 - why I think they'll do so and the type of Rap I think they'll want.

Not all of them would want Asa and the O'Jays . . . some of 'em might not outgrow their love for Rap . . . but they'll mos' def'ly want a kind of Rap different from the one they used to love about 20 years ago.
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by chiogo(f): 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2010
Depends on whether I'm feeling whatever they're churning out then, has nothing to do with age for me. I actually appreciated hip hop more as I got older.
There are mature and childish rappers, you just gotta look harder for the former just like R&B has childish and mature artists but nobody criticizes it because it's R&B and it's supposedly soft compared to rap, which can be aggressive.

hax:

really?
Haha, you're too funny. How do you know their heights?
Oh and it's 'sound mature' tongue
Re: Will You Still Listen To Hiphop At 50 Years Of Age? by naijadiva2(f): 4:28pm On Oct 22, 2010
Ummm, i guess it depends on the style of Hip hop, not some waka flocka nonsense.

(1) (Reply)

J'Dess - Another Music Queen Rises From The East!! (download) / Music: Olamide – Ese + The Change We Want (APC Campaign Theme Songs) / Tenstrings Music Institute - Lekki Urban Center (the Best Music School In Lekki)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.