Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,172 members, 7,811,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Nigerian Parent’s Greatest Fear - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Parent’s Greatest Fear (264 Views)

What's Your Greatest Fear? / 5 Greatest Lies In Nigeria! / What Is Your Greatest Fear? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Parent’s Greatest Fear by Iret: 1:56pm On Aug 03, 2019
With the crazy ways things are spinning in Nigeria, everybody is on hyper-alert. Owing to the constant reports of SARS assault and killings, accidents, kidnappings and now substance abuse and addiction troubles, Nigerian parents have to be on a different level of vigilance.

Young Nigerians are quickly becoming victims of the problems of substance abuse. Codeine, tramadol, cocaine, heroin, crack cocaine, etc, have become the ‘snack’ of choice for youngsters aged 10-25. In other words, Nigerian youths have become endangered species and all must be done to preserve their population!
If your happy-go-lucky kids show any combination of these signs, it might be the best time to consult a professional. In these matters, it’s better to make a mountain out of a mole-hill than to realize you ignored the things that could have helped you save your child.

Here are some warning signs that parents dread but need to watch out for:

1. What’s Up With Your Body, Kid?
a. Red eyes and constricted pupils - may be as a result of marijuana use.
b. Lack of energy and motivation to engage in creative or meaningful activities.
c. Chronic nosebleeds. This may point towards some form of cocaine-abuse
d. Strange burn in mouth or fingers: This may indicate the child is smoking a substance (possibly heroin) through a metal or glass pipe.
e. Neglected appearance: Loss of Interest in grooming, clothing or general upkeep/appearance. Teenagers are usually very concerned about how they look, so, when things change rapidly, it may be time to probe.

2. Why Are There Missing Money Matters:
a. Missing money or money stolen from wallets/safe places at home.
b. Items missing from your home. Those items could be sold to buy drugs
c. Constant and sudden requests for money without any responsible justification/reason.

3. Why Is The School Calling Me:
a. Missing classes or skipping school: To know this, parents and guardian need to keep a tab on their children and wards
b. Disinterest in school or school activities and or a sharp drop in grades that has caused great concern with the school authorities

4. Why Are You Behaving ‘Any How’?
a. Most teenagers enjoy privacy but parents must become concerned when there are excessive attempts to be alone.
b. Concerted efforts aimed at not allowing family members into their rooms.
c. Changes in relationships with family and breaking curfew without a good excuse.
d. Avoiding letting you know where they go with friends, or whom they go with.
e. Showing a strong interest in hanging out with older kids in the neighbourhood and school.
f. Getting overly secretive about spending time with new friends and there are no longer in sync with neighbourhood and childhood friends.

5. Honey, What’s That Smell?
Kids who abuse substances tend to have a ‘smell’ sooner or later.
The stench of marijuana, cigarettes, or alcohol on teen’s breath, on clothing, in the bedroom, or in the car.

These are some of the signs no parent wants to see but looking out for them may save the family years of pain and tears. Dr. Maymunah Kadiri aka ‘the Celebrity Shrink’, Director at Pinnacle Medical Services and one of the partners of the MTN-led Anti-Substance Abuse Programme (ASAP) explained that intentional parenting is essential in this age. Deliberate and intentional parenting is what millennials need more than anything.

Re: Nigerian Parent’s Greatest Fear by RiyaGoddess(f): 2:41pm On Aug 03, 2019
May God help us and give us the Grace to train up our children in the right way just as the bible said we should train them up. The bible was right when it said train up your kid in the way of the Lord and when they grow, they won't depart from it.
It actually works. Catch them very young. Not just catching them, but follow up on them till they are old.
I have seen lots of persons who their parents started very young with them and I am very pleased with what they have become today... Parents teach your young kids the things of God. Not just book book book. Tell them about God. Pray together, Have Devotions together, Study the word together, make them ask questions and you ask questions. Tell them what God likes and what God hates. Tell them what is wrong and what is right. For instance, when my nieces and nephews are around, The Bible is our bed time story. We pick a character in the bible and that's what we read throughout till we finish the book. I even just found out of recent that they love the book of John. We have just finished the book of John. Lol we moved to another book and I started hearing aunty it's not like John etc. That's my bed time story for the kids. We read, share the word, talk about the person of the Holy Spirit our friend, talk about heaven and hell. Ask them what department they love to join in church etc. My 7 year old niece told me she wants to speak in tongues and I was like whao. I said the Holy Spirit will help you to pray in tongues. Parents please watch what your kids read, or see. Asides school books, get them Godly books to read. After reading ask them questions and what they think you will see them asking one or two question too. For that my niece, I bought her Good Morning Holy Spirit to read. Know the friends they keep. Allow only Godly friends from Godly Parents or background (Awon to jade lati ile oni gbagbo).
Above all, never allow your busy schedules or your current financial status (rich or poor) make you neglect your children. Do not allow it keep you far away from your children...
God's Grace.
Read my signature

(1) (Reply)

Which Whatsapp/telegram Group Gives Free Legal Counsel/consult / THE BEAUTY OF GROUP CHAT ON WHATSAPP.. / How To Make Your Post Hit Frontpage In Nairaland Always.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.