Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Solve This Mathematical Conundrum - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Solve This Mathematical Conundrum (799 Views)

Please I Need Help With This Mathematical Problem / Who Can Solve This Mathematical Reasoning Questions / Solve This Mathematical Equation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by TheSociopath(m): 7:15am On Aug 05, 2019
Mathematicians in the house, please help me to solve my conundrum. Please explain your answers or suggestions or opinions or ideas in details and explicitly. Also provide links to online references if you wish. Thanks.

Question

Which is correct between the two expressions below:

Cc: fynestboi, olawalebabs

Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by EmperorHarry: 7:24am On Aug 05, 2019
Most likely the first due to Bodmas rules but I also wouldn't advise you to trust the default android calculator due to it's errors.. Try using google calculator as the decider if you don't have an actual physical Casio cal.
Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by Mastadestiny(m): 7:25am On Aug 05, 2019
Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by TheSociopath(m): 7:29am On Aug 05, 2019
https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2016/08/31/what-is-6÷212-the-correct-answer-explained/

Guys please go through this blog first...
Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by TheSociopath(m): 7:42am On Aug 05, 2019
This is a google calculator siding with the phone calculator and the blog's answer

1 Like

Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by EmperorHarry: 7:50am On Aug 05, 2019
TheSociopath:
This is a google calculator siding with the phone calculator and the blog's answer
It's decided then.I've found the google calculator useful because androids default cal. calculates in radians when it comes to trigonometric ratios and inverses.That's why I suggested the use of Google.
Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by TheSociopath(m): 8:40am On Aug 05, 2019
EmperorHarry:
It's decided then.I've found the google calculator useful because androids default cal. calculates in radians when it comes to trigonometric ratios and inverses.That's why I suggested the use of Google.

However, I still don't accept the answer given by it
Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by TalkYourOwn(m): 9:03am On Aug 05, 2019
The answer is 1. BODMAS is the basis for simplification. You solve things attached to bracket first. The calculators are machines hence, they are prone to errors.
Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by naturalwaves: 9:38am On Aug 05, 2019
Gabbage In Gabbage Out GIGO is what the computer uses to work. If you encode rubbish, you get a rubbish answer.

In maths, the elements in a bracket are the closest as well as any number attached just outside it.
Thus,

6÷2(1+2) is 6÷2(3) which is 6÷6 which is 1. In case you are not sure how a calculator is coded whether Google or not, you need to show the computer what to do by encoding it in the right way.
This is how it should be typed on any calculator to properly instruct any type of calculator........ 6÷[2(1+2)]. The output will be 1 no matter what.

The answer from the Google online calculator is attached below...

1 Like

Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by naturalwaves: 10:25am On Aug 05, 2019
TheSociopath:
https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2016/08/31/what-is-6÷212-the-correct-answer-explained/

Guys please go through this blog first...
I aam a friend of Talwalker but he is wrong on this one. Reasons being that he is not a programmer and does not understand how computers work. The fact that a calculator gives a certain answer does not mean that the answer is correct. A computer program may be correct syntax-wise but may be wrong logic-wise. That's why it is GIGO. He made reference to historical articles though and said it can be 1 as well as he solved 2 different forms but he went for the answer 9 which I do not agree to from a programming point of view.

1 Like

Re: Solve This Mathematical Conundrum by jerryvyne(m): 3:47am On Aug 07, 2019
Of course what ur calc. Is giving u, is as a result of ur input. I.e the way you typed it.
Do it like this 6/(2(2+1))

Not 6/2*(2+1).

There's a way u can get it rightly with ur calc.
With d use of a separator, it separates numerator and denominator..

I use it for complex calculations.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NECO 2019 GCE Nov/dec Exam Timetable / Nigerian Schools And Courses Accepting Two Sittings For Admissions / Free JUPEB Past Questions And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.