Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? (103035 Views)

For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 / 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by aieromon(m): 4:58pm On Oct 21, 2010
@OP
You sure sound determined so be patient and get a PGD.If your result turns out mighty impressive,you can be proceed straight to the Phd level.

@Odunnu
Lmao.What has his school got to do with it?lol

@Bluetooth
Don't bother replying,we fully understand your point.BTW,gettin' a degree in such a school is a waste of time except you want to work up North.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by aieromon(m): 5:01pm On Oct 21, 2010
zionic:

Oga na mistress u go do, wetin u dey do for school whilst others dey jack?

That's some immature reasoning up there. . . .SMH

1 Like

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by ud4u: 5:08pm On Oct 21, 2010
PGD will go
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by judemee: 5:12pm On Oct 21, 2010
if you have the money you can do your pGD & masters @ UK. PGD for 9 months  & Masters for 12 months.   check out for this school,         
http://courses.leedsmet.ac.uk/main/course.htm?ban=DIPJM
http://www.postgraduate.hw.ac.uk/courses/view/208/
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/postgraduate-course/engineering-projects-systems-management-msc/
"Success is no accident. It is hard work,
perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of
what you are doing or learning to do." Great Pele Of Brazil.
if you believe it you can achieve it,

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by omojand: 5:14pm On Oct 21, 2010
Oga na mistress u go do, wetin u dey do for school whilst others dey jack?

Dunces have been known to make 2:1s (or higher), when above average students make 3rd's or worse.

In Nigeria particularly, grade is a biased indicator of ability.

@Poster - You're unlikely to make it into any elite UK (or elsewhere) university.  However, there are a good number of universities (and affiliate colleges) that will accept you.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Theblessed(f): 5:31pm On Oct 21, 2010
[size=18pt]Why not "Google Uk =+ universities" and see what you could find. Visit their websites.   Approach them (i.e. email, fax, letter , phone) with your enquiries and take it from there.  It's best to hear from the horses mouth than on here.  

Yes, we all have our views and advice but respective Universities have their own criteria/reasons for giving admissions to candidates who unable to meet their requirements. Check them out and there's nothing to loose in fact, a lot to gain.  

If you don't ask, you don't get.  If you don't seek, you don't find and if you don't knock, the doors don't open. So knock on the doors of the Universities you could find when you google them - you never know until you ask.
[/size]
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2010
Yet why exactly do you want to do a "MASTERS"?? If it is solely for employment advantages then you may just be wasting your time. Would employers not consider your primary degree?.
In that wise you are better off pursuing  professional certification, and building up core competency

As for universities in the UK offering admission to 3rd class holders from Nigerian universities forget about that. The most you can get is a "post graduate" diploma which is a fancy name for giving you another opportunity to study undergraduate modules in your discipline. Its not cheap by the way.

You are better off  staying in Nigeria and getting a proper job of work  or trade.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Gnexplore: 5:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
it dont matter where you are coming from

only be sure where you are going and be ready to pay the price.

apply for pgd, then masters , before long it will be over!!!
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Caroguama(f): 5:49pm On Oct 21, 2010
WELL, IT'S POSSIBLE TO DO YOUR MASTERS HERE IN NIGERIA. MORE ESPECIALLY IF IT'S THE SAME UNIVERSITY YOU GRADUATED FROM.

BUT BY THE WAY, WHY GO FOR MASTERS? WHY NOT START A BUSINESS. SCHOOL'S A WASTE OF TIME MEN.

GO START SOMETHING, I THINK PEOPLE WHO MADE 3RD CLASS WILL DO WELL IN THE WORLD OF BUSINESS.

LEAVE MASTERS FOR THE 1ST CLASS SCHOOL SMARTIES WHO WANTS TO BECOME LECTURERS OR EMPLOYEES.

THEY'LL BE THE ONES TO BEG TO APPLY IN YOUR COMPANY TOMORROW.

YOU'LL SEE!

THAT'S MY HUMBLE ADVICE. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by JesusDWay(m): 5:54pm On Oct 21, 2010
@pOSTER. I will suggest a top-up bachelors degree in the UK for you. Its only for a year and you will not just have the chance of doing a masters later, you have an opportunity to better your bachelor degree grade. As for fees, you may choose a college that has affiliation with a big university. You pay less and still earn their certificate. I hope this helps.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 21, 2010
usetime:

then, if the worst comes to it - are nigerian master's programmes really
considered so inferior to their foreign counterparts in the international
scene -
  since the paper is for job and career advancement - i may do naija own
if i'm bounced for visa.
Don't kid yourself that that is indeed the case. If you are talking about scientific and technical courses then overwhelmingly yes  but not necessarily in management courses like finance and accounting
You are better off studying at a reputable private business school in Nigeria, if at all going for another certificate is really necessary, which  may not be the case.
In my view you should focus on getting a proper job or starting a business for now and forget about acquiring more academic qualifications.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by urch01: 6:09pm On Oct 21, 2010
Hi .You can do a masters degree with a 3rd class directly in the UK. But as stated earlier, you would need to quote a minimum of 3-5yrs working experience to compensate for your low grade. Schools that may consider you for admission are Glasgow caledonian university and so many others. Though the school are fairly k but i would prefer you don't study in the UK rather you look towards other countries like Canada or America  where you may have to practice your profession. Otherwise Lagos Business school would be a preferred a choice. Please do not come to the UK, they take your money and send you back home when you finish course.

5 Likes

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 21, 2010
urch01:

Hi .You can do a masters degree with a 3rd class directly in the UK,

That's a falsehood . No reputable university in the uk gives direct admission for research oriented degrees to third class degree holders. Just forget about that.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by xammy(m): 6:26pm On Oct 21, 2010
get urelf keke NAPEP
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Chidoxyl(m): 6:34pm On Oct 21, 2010
Sometime dis year, I met a classmate & course mate of mine, who made a 3rd class. Wen we got talking, I was told by him dat he was just about applying for a master degree programme in one Environmental course (can't remember precisely) with the University of Ibadan (UI). U may call me so I could forward his number 2 U so U could speak with him. My name is Chidi Ijere Daniel (CID) - 08034925499.

Pls, don't mind those god-of-a-poster. It is well with U. Cheers & all d best.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Theblessed(f): 6:52pm On Oct 21, 2010
[size=18pt]Don't be dissuaded just google and see what you could find.  Universities are highly under funded now Conservative Party is in power and therefore, looking for funding and foreign students does help boost their budgets. 

Besides, policies do change and some of them might have changed their policies in the light of the Educational policy of the new Coalition government. Just give it a try, what have you got to loose?
[/size]
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by kenkruse: 7:04pm On Oct 21, 2010
IT'S QUITE A DIFFICULT TIME FOR THE POSTER BUT I WILL ADVICE HIM TO KEEP FOCUS, I MYSELF GRADUATED WITH A THIRD CLASS HONOR FROM A REPUTABLE UNIVERSITY HERE IN NIGERIA. I DIDN'T BLAME MYSELF COS I WAS ADMITTED TO A COURSE I NEVER WANTED TO STUDY THUS HAVING IN MIND OF CHANGING THROUGHOUT MY 1ST AND 2ND YR. BUT IT DIDN'T WORK OUT.

INSIDE ME, I WAS FEELING LIKE A FIRST CLASS DEGREE HOLDER COS I KNEW MY POTENTIAL. SO I REMAIN FOCUSED AND BURIED MYSELF IN PRAYER THROUGHOUT MY NYSC.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY, I GOT A GOOD JOB IMMEDIATELY AFTER MY NYSC. I WENT THROUGH A LOT OF DEPRESSION DURING THE INTERVIEW AND MY FIRST FEW WEEKS IN THE WORK.MY COLLEGUES REGARDED ME AS A 3RD CLASS CITIZEN BUT I WASN'T DETERED.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, I DO MOST MOST WORKS MY COLLEAGUES WITH 2.1 COULD NOT DO WITH EASE. THEY CONSULT ME WITH ANY DIFFICULT TASK AND I DO IT FOR THEM.I BROUGHT  NEW INNOVATIONS TO THE COMPANY AND THAT ATTRACTED ALOT OF RECOMMENDATION FROM THE MANAGEMENT WHO EVENTUALLY TOOK ME ABROAD FOR TRAINING. I ALSO RECEIVE JUMBO PAY IN SAME LEVEL AS MY SENIOR COLLEAGUES AND MORE THAN THOSE WITH 2.1

I AM BUILDING MY OWN HOUSE IN ABUJA SUBURB AND KRUSING IN MY OWN LUXURY CAR. I 'M ALSO A PART TIME STUDENT OF NASSARAWA STATE UNIVERSITY WHERE I'M DOING MY PGD INTO MASTERS. I CAN GO ON AND ON BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT WHILE SOME HAVE THEIR FIRST CLASS OR 2.1 ON PAPER OTHERS HAVE THEIRS ON  BRAIN OR BOTH.

IT IS NOT WHERE YOU'RE COMING FROM BUT WHERE YOU'RE GOING. wink

14 Likes

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by urch01: 7:38pm On Oct 21, 2010
Hi tensor. I graduated with a 3rd class and i studied at the mentioned university. But as stated in my earlier response, you need to provide enough work experience for 3-5yrs minimum to be granted admission. Also when i was researching schools i found pout so many schools who had similar criteria.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 21, 2010
urch01:

Hi tensor. I graduated with a 3rd class and i studied at the mentioned university. But as stated in my earlier response, you need to provide enough work experience for 3-5yrs minimum to be granted admission. Also when i was researching schools i found pout so many schools who had similar criteria.
That may indeed be the case.Some universities even only require a pass degree as their admission criteria. However all the reputable ones do require a second class honours degree.
However it is a matter of choice and entirely up to the OP if he decides to go to any university in the UK.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by namski(m): 9:39pm On Oct 21, 2010
@op, You really do not need an advise here. You just have to be sincere to yourself. If you made a 3rd class and for all the barage of excuses you might have, it does show that you are likely to struggle with a masters degree programme. I am sure you are not one of those that just needs the certificate by all means and therefore will resort to the shamefull thing some Nigerian students do over here - i.e. have others do their school work and dissertation for them.

I will advise you to go for a PGD and after that assess your strength and performance and then decide if you really need a Masters degree. In my opinion, there will be no need to go and waste 10-12k pounds or more in school fees at a back-yard university whose certificate is completely worthless in the market.

All the best though, but thread carefully.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by osifred(m): 9:46pm On Oct 21, 2010
it is annoyin how dose who refuse 2 read while in skol n graduate wit a pass or 3rd wil hit on 1st class wit statement like dis , even some 1st class student cant do want a pass or 3rd class holder can job. D true of d matter is dat 1st class is a discipline culture nabt 85% of dem r bound to succeed  while only abt 25% plus luck of students wit pass n 3rd class r bound 2 succeed.if u can try n get a gud grade.
@poster u shld pls know what u want. U want a master to beta ur life or only 4 job advancement
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by okeyxyz(m): 9:55pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Theblessed: y u keep shouting?
r u on drugs, or u r in desperate need of attention?
pls write like a normal level headed person. thx.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by tigerpaws(f): 3:45am On Oct 22, 2010
Slyr0x:

DYu know of any?

Yes I do.

A friend of mine had a 3rd class degree and recently finished her MASTERS from one of the universities in the Uk, not forgetting she had a few years working experience (3 yrs) before applying!

Different universities have different policies; contact the universities you intend to study and see what they have to offer

Takia
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by JoeGaruba: 4:51am On Oct 22, 2010
tigerpaws:

Yes I do.

A friend of mine had a 3rd class degree and recently finished her MASTERS from one of the universities in the Uk, not forgetting she had a few years working experience (3 yrs) before applying!

Different universities have different policies; contact the universities you intend to study and see what they have to offer

Takia

Right.

A friend in the US had similar experience and got into a uni for MSc, and got a job with one of the best employers anywhere in the world.

@OP the information is at your finger tips ala Google. Work experience helps to make it a little easier to sell to them Uni's.

Dont let the haters tell you it cant be done. just dont go chasing Yale , Havard oxford et al, waste of money I think. paali na paali
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by yazz09(m): 6:15am On Oct 22, 2010
i love what u guys said here. am also a 3rd class graduate. physics dept. FUTO. abt to serve in delta. which school would be best for me to have my pg around there. secondly i wanted to do masters in ghana. is that a good idea and how expensive is it.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by dipoley2k(f): 8:39am On Oct 22, 2010
Admission is on  from the following Educational Institutions Malaysia Campus:
* University of East London (Degree & Masters program)
* University of Coventry UK (Degree program)
* Edexcel,UK (HND)
* Anglia Ruskin University,UK (Degree & Masters program)

Three (3) Years UK Degree Program-Full Time  NEGERI SEMBILAN CAMPUS
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (HONS) CIVIL ENGINEERING,BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (HONS) ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING (POWER/ CONTROL/COMMUNICATIONS),BSC (HONS) SOFTWARE ENGINEERING,BA (HONS) ACCOUNTING & FINANCE,BSC (HONS) BUSINESS INFORMATION SYSTEMS,BA (HONS) BUSINESS STUDIES BA (HONS) GRAPHICS,BA (HONS) 3D,BA (HONS) FASHION DESIGN,BA (HONS) PHOTOGRAPHY ,BA (HONS) ANIMATION,BENG (HONS) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING,BENG (HONS) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (DESIGN).
BENG (HONS) CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT,BENG (HONS) ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN TECHNOLOGY,BENG (HONS) QUANTITATIVE STUDIES AND COMMERCIAL MANAGEMENT.ETC
OTHERS - KUALA LUMPUR CAMPUS
BSc (Hons) in Computer Games Technology - University of East London, UK
BA (Hons) in International Management - Anglia Ruskin University, UK.
BA (Hons) in Marketing - Anglia Ruskin University, UK.
BA (Hons) in Accounting and Finance - Anglia Ruskin University, UK.
BA (Hons) in Business Management - Anglia Ruskin University, UK.
BA (Hons) in Human Resource Management - Anglia Ruskin University, UK.
MSc in Computer Systems and Engineering - University of East London, UK
MSc in Business Information Systems - University of East London, UK
MSc in Information Technology - Anglia Ruskin University, UK

***** UK CONVERSION PROGRAM WITH ICAN FINAL CERTIFICATE TO FINAL YEAR UK DEGREE******

Visa and Other Arrangements for World Congress of Accountants coming up Nov 2010 in KL Malaysia

For as many that will be going for World Congress of Accountants that will be holding from November 8-11, 2010 in Kuala Lumpur  Malaysia; arrangement is on:

For World Congress of Accountants taking place soon,you can start making plans for you,friends and family that will like to travel along.
OUR SERVICES :
*SECURE VISA
*TICKET BOOKING (This is Optional)
*ARRANGE AIRPORT PICKUP
*SECURE AFFORDABLE HOTEL CLOSE TO THE VENUE

FOR more Enquires on Admission/Visa Processes call :
(LADI) : 08062858628  or 07057656228
(MIKE) : +60178705004
Email : overseasadmission@rosaad.com

1 Like

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by HamidO1(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2010
no way, Don't let anyone decieve you, you must do your PGD first. That is what HND holders do, i think it's just a year not to sure though. Don't be discouraged, you need it cos it'll get to a point in Naija when employers won't ask for 1st degree again.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by beknown(m): 10:14am On Oct 22, 2010
@usetime,

Be careful when you Google degree awarding universities in the UK. There are some bogus degree awarding universities all over the world who parade themselves as UK.

This is why I suggest you check actual UK government website for accurate information and check each website of the university of your choice depending on the course you plan to do:
http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/recognisedukdegrees/index.cfm?fuseaction=institutes.list&InstituteCategoryID=1&InstituteSubCategoryID=1

Each university has special consideration for adult students and people with work experience (e.g. farming is also work experience). Check the following UK recognised universities:

http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/study/apply/international/entry.html

http://www.northampton.ac.uk/info/20052/study/442/mature-students

http://www.tvu.ac.uk/students/postgraduate/Entry_requirements.jsp

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/international/degree-courses-and-programmes/english-language-requirements

1 Like

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by misterseed(m): 10:38am On Oct 22, 2010
It looks like the PGD root is the way but i think you should search more.Not just in the UK alone.
Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by shagaman: 10:49am On Oct 22, 2010
why not try University of the West of Scotland.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 22, 2010
@ poster,
Dont not be deceived.
I want to tell u that u can dom ur masters in unilag with 3rd class.My friend finished from UI wit 3rd class in geology, and he later got admission for masters to study environmenat engineering in unlag.
When i asked him hw he did it, he said he did teh test very well and his referees.
Nothing stops u from taking their form, take the test and see may be u will be admitted or not.And if it doesnt work, then go for PGD but like somebody said, u dont waste ur time on masters, u can go for some prof courses to build ur career.
I have friends that graduated with 3rd class from the same university and immediately after NYSC,they travelled to Uk for their masters.
Some UK sculs will give u admission since they know u r giving them more money.You dont have to have experince be4 u r given admission in the Uk for masters.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apply For 2023/2024 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme / Yabatech ND/HND Part Time Form For 2021/2022 Academic session / Kenyan Student Had Sex With Her Lecturer & He Gave Her 'E', Then She Did This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.