Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,217 members, 7,811,605 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export (3902 Views)

Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export / Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export / Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by waoosa(m): 10:07am On Oct 20, 2010
see how we kill ourselves for sake of money. Not many Nigerians have access to carfax report and such people fall prey to this greedy business men. I stumbled on this report on the net. helping to cascade.

"Hello, can you please tell me of any news channels, news papers and internet classifieds where i can reach the mass public of nigeria about almost every car from toronto being exported to nigeria has the kilometers rolled back?

I want the public to know that these people from Toronto are buying high mileage unsafe cars most with over 200,000 km and many over 300,000km and rolling back the mileage to less than 100,000km, they even remove the check engine and brake lights on dash so your people have no idea what they are driving. I see it happen every day as I work next door to a shipper, I watch them roll back the kilometers to at least 20 cars a day and that only this one shipper in Mississauga on Tompkin and Kamato. Innocent people from Nigeria are being ripped of by their own people from Toronto and they are being endangered because they have no idea what shape their car is really in. I want to inform the Nigerian public that they can check on websites the real mileage of their cars such as carfax and car proof which gives the cars actual kilometers and if its been in a accident. Ive posted this information on a bunch of online websites but need your help to reach the whole market about what is happening. If you can give me information on news channels and papers and online classifieds that many in Nigeria read it would be highly appreciated in my attempt to shut down these criminals defrauding their own people.

Do you know how many Toyota Camry Carolla Sienn, Honda Accord Crv Oddyssy from years 1998-2005 go from Toronto Mississauga to Nigeria with less than 100,000 km? Hundreds every week. The shippers and exporters both roll back the mileage to maximize their profits. Looks on autotrader.com , you wont find one 98-2003 Carolla Camry Accord Oddyssy or Sienna with under 100,000km yet hundreds a week leave Toronto to Nigeria. If you need proof let those buying these cars in nigeria know about carfax and carproof and use it before buying a car. All they have to do is go on line type in the vin number and the cars history will show up.

http://consciencedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=297&Itemid=1
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Wylout: 10:23am On Oct 20, 2010
Most people would appreciate this info
Some others won't
A few already know about it
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by drmax(m): 2:30pm On Oct 20, 2010
Thanks for this great help.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Jafour: 3:08pm On Oct 20, 2010
@waoosa,

You are damn right. I am a registered auto dealer in Toronto, Canada and also export cars to Nigeria for sale. Almost every Nigerian is a "car dealer"  in Toronto and everyone finds the car business very lucrative mostly because of the odometer roll back. I had issues with many people including registered dealers, "why are we doing this to our brothers and sisters back home" and their responses are," buyers back home don't like the truth".

The truth of the matter is that many car buyers in Nigeria are gullible even on nairaland. How  do you expect a 10-year old car to have a mileage of less than 100,000 miles or 62,500 km. I have  a 2000 Toyota Camry advert for sale on nairaland. Many nairalanders have come to inspect the car and say the mileage is to  high for 189,000 km.

Anyway, I am on my way to the auction. I will be back to feed you more on this menace perpetrated by majority Nigerians  in Toronto and widely accepted by Nigerians at home as a norm.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by JerrCa(m): 5:26am On Jun 20, 2011
Hi Jafour , thanks for your input on this! I've always told my buyers back home the truth, The truth is that not all high mileage vehicles are bad especially if used by one owner here in canada. What shipping company do u currently use for ur shipping and do you know any of our countrymen who deal on auto parts from here in Toronto that ship home? Would like to hear from u, take care
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by EuroMeko(m): 6:32am On Jun 20, 2011
JerrCa:

Hi Jafour , thanks for your input on this! I've always told my buyers back home the truth, The truth is that not all high mileage vehicles are bad especially if used by one owner here in canada. What shipping company do u currently use for your shipping and do you know any of our countrymen who deal on auto parts from here in Toronto that ship home? Would like to hear from u, take care

Absolutely true. I have a Toyota MR2 with over 280kmi here in the states, perfect running condition, very minty.

I think the issue here is the deception.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by mishooo(m): 9:19am On Jun 20, 2011
Hi all. I assume that many car models have a comprehensible software that can read the brainbox. And that is why it is good to scan your car before you give your hard earned cash to the dealer. Despite odometer rollback, the software would tell you the true mileage.

I bought a car as Nigerian used some years back and it was about 120, 000 km. after few weeks of using and it was giving me so much problem, i got a VAG COM (VW) cable and the software. I checked the mileage only to realise, it was more than 210,000km. Funny thing is that the Nigerian user too was innocent of the rollback.

We should be not be gullible and take everything we were told about our cars just by paperwork and salesman's words.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Jafour: 10:15am On Jun 21, 2011
JerrCa:

Hi Jafour , thanks for your input on this! I've always told my buyers back home the truth, The truth is that not all high mileage vehicles are bad especially if used by one owner here in canada. What shipping company do u currently use for your shipping and do you know any of our countrymen who deal on auto parts from here in Toronto that ship home? Would like to hear from u, take care

@JerrCa

I use Zim and Hapag_Lloyd as shipping lines. I am considering using Hansen, I learnt they give 21 days grace of clearing in Lagos. I know of a guy who had done auto parts in Toronto before, but he is now into big time shipping.

I am just grinding my teeth in auto parts. I have a 40ft container loaded with auto parts that arrived on June 06 and is about to be cleared at the Tin Can Port. The parts consist of 1998-2002 Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Solara, Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Maxima
and Nissan Sentra.

I am in Lagos now for the sale of the parts. I may even advertise some of the parts on nairaland. If you think we can do business call 08033002727 or wait till I get back to Toronto.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by JerrCa(m): 2:46pm On Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for u'r info Jafour! I did appreciate it! I'll get back 2 you soon. My best to u,
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Fhemmmy: 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2011
Jafour, when you get back to Toronto, let us know, and we might hook up and see how to make the best of Auto business . . . I am between Canada and USA

1 Like

Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by shawonlese: 3:38pm On Jun 21, 2011
I think this thread addresses all the cheap Cotonou cars.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by cretin: 3:40pm On Jun 21, 2011
a lot of nigerians dont care about mileage.tis a pity.

when i wanted to buy a car, the dealer showed me a 2003 corolla, with 6000miles!!!.lol, i laughed  in his face, he was explaining that the car is just like tear rubber, blah blah  blah.

i know the odometer was rolled back, or that the car was left parked and unused for yrs, and both factors above  are  deterimental  to the performance of any engine. leaving a car parked for yrs, causes lots of probs.

thats why i started my express vin check thread to help fellow  nigerians  check the car vins urgently b4 paying/buying any car, cos then i knew abt vin checks,  but had no clue  on how/where to check it.

some nairalanders hv called me while they were at the car lot and i helped them check and mail the vin reports within minutes!
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Jafour: 7:22pm On Jun 21, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Jafour, when you get back to Toronto, let us know, and we might hook up and see how to make the best of Auto business . . . I am between Canada and USA

@Fhemmmy
Obviously, I will let you know. I may spend up to 2 months depending on the sale of outstanding cars on the ground. I will be delighted to do business with you. Let's hook up and see how far we make take this business to the next level. Cheers.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Jafour: 7:31pm On Jun 21, 2011
shawonlese:

I think this thread addresses all the cheap Cotonou cars.
shawonlese
All those cotonou cars are not that cheap comparable to the attending issues associated with these cars especially from europe.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Jafour: 7:51pm On Jun 21, 2011
cretin link=topic=535483.w[quote author=cretin:

when i wanted to buy a car, the dealer showed me a 2003 corolla, with 6000miles!!!.lol, i laughed in his face, he was explaining that the car is just like tear rubber, blah blah blah.

@ cretin
There is nothing like tear rubber for a 2003 Corolla with 3,750km. It is not possible for an eight -year old car. Thank God, you still have your brain in your head, many gullible buyers looking for low mileage would have fell for this dealer's deceptive salesmanship.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by Fhemmmy: 7:55pm On Jun 21, 2011
Jafour:

@Fhemmmy
Obviously, I will let you know. I may spend up to 2 months depending on the sale of outstanding cars on the ground. I will be delighted to do business with you. Let's hook up and see how far we make take this business to the next level. Cheers.

Will be honored to work with you.
Re: Odometer Fraud Huge Problem From Canada To Nigeria Export by JerrCa(m): 4:33pm On Jun 22, 2011
Nice talking 2 u! My friend's no is 8134016516. I tried sending u a text but it didn't go thru .

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Quest, 1997 Model (neat Tokunbo) Green Colour For Sale@ N1.1m / Registered 2009 BMW X6 5.0i (low Mileage) SOLD / Black 2002 Toyota Rav4 Nigerian Used ( Registered) For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.