Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday (16231 Views)

ASUU Strike From 1999 To 2022 And Duration / FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary / FG Stops Salaries Of University Workers Not Enrolled On IPPIS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by fergie001: 7:57pm On Aug 16, 2019
Nigerian university workers have said that they would embark on a warning strike from Monday until their demand to the government is met.

The planned one-week strike, which will last from August 19 to 23, is coming four months after the Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities suspended their two-month strike.

In a letter on Friday, the non-academic unions comprising the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities and Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities, said, “At the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum on August 18, 2019 without a positive response from the Federal Government of Nigeria, members shall proceed on a five-day warning strike in all branches from Monday 19 to Friday 23 August 2019.”

The unions said the contending issues include payment of earned allowances, university staff schools matter, renegotiation of 2019 FGN/unions agreement among others.

It therefore directed all members to comply with the action or face sanctions.

The letter further said, “You are therefore directed to properly mobilise our members for this action. All defaulting branches shall be sanctioned accordingly. Please be guided.”

Recall that the unions embarked on a nationwide strike on December 4, 2017 following the failure of the government to address their grievances, however, it was suspended in March 2018.

http://saharareporters.com/2019/08/16/nigerian-university-workers-commence-strike-monday

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by radiolover(m): 8:02pm On Aug 16, 2019
sad
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by kwyllancy: 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2019
OK ooooo
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Jasen1(m): 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2019
it is finished

Haa

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by betterpikinn: 11:40pm On Aug 16, 2019
Useless strike
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Chekwube1989(m): 11:40pm On Aug 16, 2019
Pls they shouldn't go on strike now

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by geosuzzy(f): 11:41pm On Aug 16, 2019
Ngige bin scam them that time grin Lolss this country ought to be listed on Craiglist make one Canadian farmer buy am use am grow weed

1 Like

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Javierleon(m): 11:41pm On Aug 16, 2019
dis is thier yearly season holiday for nigerian students
after u say they are churning incompentent ebulaboo
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by wakes: 11:42pm On Aug 16, 2019
Ok
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by vibbb: 11:42pm On Aug 16, 2019
Naija which way.

Labour will soon start their own after a long wait of minimum wage implementation.
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by seunlayi(m): 11:44pm On Aug 16, 2019
Sowore wrong will be made right by this govt. Just mess in every sector
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Angelfrost(m): 11:44pm On Aug 16, 2019
After they are done with theirs, and settled by fg, ASUU will follow suit as if striking in protest against appeasement of the non academic staff... Just like Johesu and NMA in hospitals...

What thunder will do to both federal government and most unserious workers ehn, eyes have not seen. undecided
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Kingzeez10: 11:44pm On Aug 16, 2019
grin
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 16, 2019
Who ever is surprised at this headline just came into the country so let me officially say a big welcome to you.. Most of this strike union leaders and VC's have their children schooling abroad so why would they not anticipate for the next strike even after this one.. Honestly, it's just a little thing holding me back from giving up on this country.. One could easily look at most countries for instance Ghana and say in 5years time, I see them at this point but Nigeria,.... May God help us...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:46pm On Aug 16, 2019
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by kensing1046(m): 11:49pm On Aug 16, 2019
I dey pity una

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by sheubaba2013: 11:51pm On Aug 16, 2019
IKERE GORGE DAM, A BLESSING TO OUR GENERATION.

Ikere is a town located in Iseyin Local Government Area of Oyo State Nigeria.
It is about 28km North East Iseyin. The town is a home to the popular Ikere Gorge Dam. It is located on the Ogun river with a reservoir capacity of about 690 million meter cube.

I have visited the Ikere Gorge Dam on more than three occasions, the last time I visited the Dam was 12th of August, 2019 which is the second day of Eid Al-Adha (Festival of Sacrifice).
The trip was led by the Hon. President of Iseyin Youth Development Group (IYDG) in person of Hon. Babajide Oniyo, Hon. Shina Peller, my humble self Sakariyau Tijani Sheu (Sheubaba) and the entire members of IYDG.
The theme of this year program was "Convergence season 3/ Developmental Tour". We paid a visit to the Ado Awaye Iyake suspended lake and later proceeded to Ikere George Dam both in Iseyin LGA.
Iseyin Youth Development Group (IYDG) aim is the way forward for the development of Iseyin, Oke Ogun and the entire Nigeria at large, therefore Ikere George Dam must not be abandoned. Charity begins at home.

A Dam is a barrier that stops or restrict the flow of water or underground stream. -Wikipedia
Some Dams are constructed to change the direction of river water flow into channel, canal, pipeline etc.

George is a narrow valley between hills or mountains typically with steep rocky walls and a stream running through it.
The term is obtained from the French word "Gorge" which means throat or neck. A George is often smaller than Canyon, although both can be used to describe deep, narrow valleys with a stream or river running along their base.

Ikere Gorge Dam has been abandoned for so long. It is the second largest Dam in Nigeria, but it has been a long forgotten dream.
The Ikere Gorge Dam was first established by the Military regim of Ex President Olusegun Obasanjo and it was set up in 1983 by the then administration of Alhaji Shehu Shagari.
Ikere Gorge Dam was initially planned to generate 6 Megawatts of Electricity.

Furthermore, Dam can also supply water for Iseyin, Iganna, Okeho, Lagos etc.
Among the the plans was also for Irrigation purpose of about 12,000 hectares of land. According to findings, some equipments has been purchased as at then by the Government, they has been kept at the site for the Hydro Power component of the Dam and has not yet been installed.
According to experts the project will take up to 3 to 4 months to be completed.

Ikere Gorge Dam can be developed for aquaculture, I even bought some fishes on our way back from the site visitation. It can create over 1,500 jobs for the youths, production capacity of over one million tonnes of fish annually if fully utilized.

There is no mobile network in the area, we are unable to make or receive calls throughout the visitation.

The 35km access road that lead to the Dam is appalling, the road need to be fixed for easy access.

Conclusively, we the Iseyin Youth Development Group (IYDG) on my humble behalf are calling on the Federal Government of Nigeria to put the Ikere Gorge Dam in good shape for the purpose of Hydro power generation, Irrigation, aquaculture etc.
At the other hand the government should also harness the tourism potential of the Ado-Awaye Iyake suspended lake which is the second suspended lake in the world after the Colorado suspended lake in the USA.
"I am convinced that Nigeria would have been a more highly developed country without the oil. I wished we had never smelled the fumes of petroleum" -Prof Wole Soyinka.
God bless Iseyin, God bless Nigeria.

Ikere Gorge Dam! The second largest Dam in Nigeria.
Ikere Gorge Dam! The time is now.
Ikere Gorge Dam! No more further delay
Ikere Gorge Dam! The untapped blessing
Ikere Gorge Dam! A blessing to our generation
Ikere Gorge Dam! A gift from God Almighty

By SAKARIYAU TIJANI SHEU aka SHEUBABA
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by amidel(m): 12:06am On Aug 17, 2019
Good initiative. grin grin

Hustle continues
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:09am On Aug 17, 2019
Felixamos:
Who ever is surprised at this headline just came into the country so let me officially say a big welcome to you.. Most of this strike union leaders and VC's have their children schooling abroad so why would they not anticipate for the next strike even after this one.. Honestly, it's just a little thing holding me back from giving up on this country.. One could easily look at most countries for instance Ghana and say in 5years time, I see them at this point but Nigeria,.... May God help us...

Lol.. And what is that little thing holding you back from giving up
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 17, 2019
MISTAICEY02288:

Lol.. And what is that little thing holding you back from giving up
Funny enough I no even know... Na just feeling inside...
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Obinkita(m): 2:13am On Aug 17, 2019
Another season for grasses to suffer.
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by blazesam(m): 2:25am On Aug 17, 2019
Just make this men forget this strike till December. Hana, school no sweet ooo. My official graduation tym was July and was shifted to October cause of the previous strike. Now from warning strike to indefinite strike. And Nigeria has never gone for indefinite strike for weeks , always in months. God why am I from a poor background? Na abroad I for dey so oooo
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Sonsly041(m): 4:34am On Aug 17, 2019
shocked sad
Chekwube1989:
Pls they shouldn't go on strike now
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by JobsandSchools: 4:43am On Aug 17, 2019
Again?
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by AmandaLuv(f): 6:46am On Aug 17, 2019
blazesam:
Just make this men forget this strike till December. Hana, school no sweet ooo. My official graduation tym was July and was shifted to October cause of the previous strike. Now from warning strike to indefinite strike. And Nigeria has never gone for indefinite strike for weeks , always in months. God why am I from a poor background? Na abroad I for dey so oooo
cry no more brother. Study hard, work hard, the grace of God will locate u and funny enough u'll find urself out of the shithole.
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by onyxo76(m): 7:16am On Aug 17, 2019
geosuzzy:
Ngige bin scam them that time grin Lolss this country ought to be listed on Craiglist make one Canadian farmer buy am use am grow weed
serious scamming, most workers ended up with 24k after all the struggle and it was paid about 8 months after making a promise to pay within 5 weeks of the strike suspension
Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by MISTAICEY02288(m): 10:58am On Aug 17, 2019
Felixamos:

Funny enough I no even know... Na just feeling inside...

Lol. Okay bro. All will kukuma be well in this country someday. I strongly believe that

1 Like

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 17, 2019
MISTAICEY02288:

Lol. Okay bro. All will kukuma be well in this country someday. I strongly believe that
Amen oh!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday by James4424: 4:46pm On Aug 17, 2019
i shake my head

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Schools That Accept 2nd Choice Candidate / Kogi State University Students Protest Closure Of Their School (Photos) / Strike: ABU Zaria Reopens October 24, Resumes Lectures In January

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.